• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

The Kree

Banned
Armond White found a pseudointellectual way to call people retarded for engaging with a Spider-Man movie.

That's kind of impressive.

Sanjuro

Anyone have opinions on seeing it in IMAX 3D? It's the best showtime available, and I'm open to it if it's done well.

I saw it in IMAX last night. Looked fine.

Most of my cinemas have stepped up their game of late. The big draw for me was seeing it on a BIG screen instead of the relic theaters from the 60s/70s still trying to maximize their buck.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Armond White found a pseudointellectual way to call people retarded for engaging with a Spider-Man movie.

That's kind of impressive.

The vaccination controversy comment in his review is straight up bull shit. Dude is a hack.

Bladelaw

Ok I'm a pretty big Spider-Man fan. My first comic was an Amazing Fantasy #15 reprint (obviously) and I've read nearly every issue of "Amazing", "Spectacular", "Web of", and "Superior" (thanks Marvel Unlimited).

I loved Raimi's Spider-Man 1 & 2, and liked parts of 3. Garfield's Spider-Man (I think he did great with the character) was ok but the scripts were pretty bad.

I loved Homecoming. It's not perfect but it felt the most like Spider-Man from the comics in his early days brought to the screen. Toomes is a surprisingly effective villain, Iron Man isn't nearly as prevalent as trailers and posters might lead you to believe. Spoilers for specific likes a dislikes:

-The twist was a surprise which is rare as hell for me in movies. It was totally effective in achieving the "Oh no!" reaction

-The teen drama stuff normally puts me off movies, but I think it worked here. Parker always end up doing the right thing even when it would be so much easier to just go with the flow which is the essence of Spider-Man

-The Villain isn't an idiot! Keaton is so god damned good in this. Possibly better than Defoe's Goblin and I don't say that lightly, I'll revisit when the glow wears off but for now Keaton is one of the GOAT Marvel villains. Not in terms of scale of course but he evokes terror, and is smart enough to stay just one step ahead even when he's beat. The bit where he monologues to buy time for his wing suit to get going turns the BS trope in just the right way, similar to the Ozymandias "30 minutes ago" monologue.

-Karen, I thought Pete played off her better than Ned and I wonder if that's the mechanism they used to project Pete's inner monologue. It's a better system than the vlog thing they start the movie with. Also she's hilarious.

-They don't rehash the origin beyond a couple lines and instead of the Uncle Ben "Great Power" bit they give Tony a line that's just as effective without sounding too cliché.

-The big action scene at the end isn't about saving the girl (directly at least). Parker could have just stayed at Homecoming, not worried about things that clearly weren't his problem, but instead he abandoned Parker to do the right thing as Spider-Man with nothing but his own utilities, wits, and drive.

Dislikes:
-Michelle, I kind of wish they expounded on her character, she's either Peter's stalker, a collective hallucination, or dead pan comic relief, I'm not sure which fits but I feel like for as important as she seemed and for as many places she turned up I wanted a little more info on her.

-Aunt May, I hesitate to put this here, Marisa Tomei did fantastic, The idea of Aunt May being about the same age as you'd expect Parker's Mom to be struck me as odd in Civil War and Tony's comments on her in the limo were very Stark but also creepy especially considering the end. Everything else was wonderful though, May was what you'd hope for in her compassion, concern, and caring for Pete. Her helping him get dressed for Homecoming was a great touch.

-Ned, man...Ned seems like he should know the dangers of blabbing Spider-Man's identity but in every scene post reveal he goes out of his way to make Parker's life just a little bit harder with that knowledge. He has a great moment in the "Guy in the chair" bit but everywhere else he's baggage. Everyone has that friend I guess who really wishes them well but either through accident or incompetence gets them in more trouble.

-Liz, Generic eye candy senior girl in high school the protagonist crushes after. Like Michelle I wish she had more characterization beyond "Smart, pretty, senior girl in charge of Homecoming". Her one scene in the hotel on the way to the pool was a hint that they can take the character places but they never deliver on her being more than either a prize or a damsel.

I'd rank the Spider-Man films like this:
Spider-Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man 2
Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3
Amazing Spider-Man 2

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'd rank the Spider-Man films like this:
Spider-Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man 2
Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3
Amazing Spider-Man 2

My ranking:

Spider-Man 2.
Spider-Man: Homecoming/Spiderman. (I honestly can't decide between them right now)
Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3.
Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Certinty

Saw it again. Loved it the first time round but now I think it's my favourite superhero movie. Sorry Captain America Civil War.

Spinluck

My ranking:

Spider-Man 2.
Spider-Man: Homecoming/Spiderman.
Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3.
Amazing Spider-Man 2.

This is my ranking as well.

It's tough for me to put this over SM2, but I cannot decide if it is actually over SM1 for me. So I'll rank them the same for now.

It's crazy because the movie is just that good.

AndersK

Pretty incredible its at 94 % and 7,7/10, even with Armond White and Scott M. Tax.

Great that I'm visiting my parents in bum fuck nowhere. The local cinema just got Ghost in the Shell...

HStallion

Pretty incredible its at 94 % and 7,7/10, even with Armond White and Scott M. Tax.

Great that I'm visiting my parents in bum fuck nowhere. The local cinema just got Ghost in the Shell...

I don't believe Armond and his bull shit reviews are counted by RT anymore.

Anth0ny

I really feel like Homecoming being barely worse than Spidey 1 and 2 is a huge compliment.

A watchable Spider-Man movie. After 13 years. What a time to be alive.

Just finished watching, really really enjoyed it.

My ranking this year is:

1. Logan
2. Spiderman
3. Guardians
4. Wonder Woman

It has been a fantastic year of comic movies thus far!

HStallion

I remember him pissing off everyone in the Get Out thread, unless things have changed since then.

Dude says we should be as wary as people liking Spider-Man Homecoming as we should of the vaccination controversy and also says it puts people on the cultural version of the autism spectrum and that's just the start of his review.

Buckle

Saw this last night. Not really a fan of superhero movies but Spiderman has a special place in my heart, as I used to read the comic as a kid. With that said, I really enjoyed this movie. Fun and energetic as Spiderman should. A couple of points about the movie:

- Tom Holland is great as Spiderman. Other people are very well cast as well.
- Thought that Tony Stark would be overused in the movie but he is there for the right amount of time
- Surprisingly funny! and I really enjoyed the end credits.
-
Was blindsided by the MJ reveal. Haven't been following the marketing so it could be obvious from that. I guess they showed her quite a lot in the movie, but I thought she was just a funny side character. I like that they are going with a little different personality for her, and can´t wait to see her more in the sequel.

Looking forward to the sequel and I guess there is a Venom movie coming out too?!
You'll want to temper your expectations for the Venom film abit.

Its being made by Sony, not Marvel like HC and probably won't involve Holland or Spider-Man from the sound of things.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

1499357115753.gif

yikes

My ranking:

Spider-Man 2.
Spider-Man: Homecoming/Spiderman. (I honestly can't decide between them right now)
Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3.
Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Sounds about right.

Although, tbh, having rewatched other Spider-Mans recently, the gap between Spider-Man 1/Homecoming and Amazing Spider-Man is smaller than I expected. Say, there's a larger gap from SM2 to SM1/SMH or ASM1 to SM3 or even SM3 to ASM2.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
oh we're ranking Spider Man movies now?

1. Spider Man Homecoming

1 for 1, not bad ;p

Yeah, the other movies were fine - SM2 in particular is a very well made film, no doubt.

It is NOT the best Spider-Man movie. Homecoming is. The rest all sort of fall by the wayside.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
oddly enough there are only two themes that I can recall from a super hero movie.

Avenger's theme and Wonder Woman.

Everything else is pretty forgettable. The original Spider-Man's theme is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite remember it.
Come on man, Batman! And Superman!
Unfortunately, best Spider-Man theme belongs to worst Spider-Man movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOv0T_zfaDI
It sounds like the nightly news.
I think his Incredibles soundtrack is still pretty good.
And Ratatouille. John Carter was a great John Williams impression. Speed Racer was great too.

He's definitely dropped off in the last few years.

Anth0ny

Hah, ranking them is pretty easy;

Awesome mother fucking Spider-Man movies:

1. Spidey 2
2. Spidey 1
3. Spidey homecoming

Piece of shit offensive Spidey movies:

4. Spidey 3
5. Asm2
6. Asm1

AndersK

Hah, ranking them is pretty easy;

Awesome mother fucking Spider-Man movies:

1. Spidey 2
2. Spidey 1
3. Spidey homecoming

Piece of shit offensive Spidey movies:

4. Spidey 3
5. Asm2
6. Asm1

I feel like ASM1's quality is being posthumously being tarnished by ASM2. Just got around to watching that one. What the fuck, man. Opinions and all, but at worst i'd say ASM 1 is okay. Does many things worse than Tobey-man 1 and 2, but i feel there's some great stuff.

Really liked movie almost as good as originals except for 3. The soundtrack is trash tier compared to Elfman's score. It was a generic uninspired mess. Final rating 8.5/10.

AndersK

That was some good shit brehs.

- Star Wars is back
- Dragon Ball Fighterz
- A great Spider-man movie

Childhood making an comeback.

This is like the golden age for anything remotely nerdy. We got quality Star Wars, twice, great CBM's out the ass in 2017, with Taika Thor still to come. (Not Hating on JL, im down for 3 hours of YEAUH)

Tubie

My ranking:

1. Homecoming
2. SM2
3. SM1

4. ASM1
6. SM3/ASM2 (a tie cause I can't decide which one was a bigger pile of shit)

Normally I watch movies on Tuesday because of the 5 dollar deal that theaters have here.

I couldn't resist with this one though so I'm watching it tomorrow! I'm excited!

I feel like ASM1's quality is being posthumously being tarnished by ASM2. Just got around to watching that one. What the fuck, man. Opinions and all, but at worst i'd say ASM 1 is okay. Does many things worse than Tobey-man 1 and 2, but i feel there's some great stuff.

ASM is ok at best. In retrospect, a lot of the sins committed in ASM2 were seen in the first movie and then amplified in the sequel.

WillyFive

ASM1 is worse than ASM2. At least ASM2 felt like a Spiderman movie (at least while Peter was in the suit), and it had an interesting villain to boot.

Yeah. Sony still did a number on ASM1 taking out a lot of Kurt/Lizard's character. Whole cloth taking out his family. Some characters and plot lines just disappear from the movie because scenes cut out.

dankir

Just got back. Legitimately one of the best MCU films. Was very well acted out, good action, Keaton rules in everything he did in this film, what a performance.

Tom Holland is the best Spider Man. Period.

9.5/10

The end credits teaser is amazing, Marvel can do anything they want and somehow make it work lol.

Top Bottom