• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

The action is great; it's important to remember, without spoiling anything, that this is still a relatively new Spider-Man. All the action scenes make sense in that context.

Sanjuro

giphy.gif

I liked his character a lot.

Score was bad though. 😢

Might be getting old, but the whole high school part of the movie didn't do much for me. Everything besides that was on point, especially Holland/Keaton.

I am 20 years out of high school, and loved how well the film captured that time in life. Especially the video news stuff. It was so hilarious and awkward, which is accurate.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Why are you butthurt I don't like the movie?

Uh, I'm not? But you're being a bit silly. You got angry over Flash not being like the comics and then said you forgot the characters name from the comics.

I laughed at you calling him Flash Gordon because it's s funny mistake and you got touchy. I wasn't attacking your opinion at all.

The score starts really strong, with the orchestral version of the theme and then the Homecoming/MCU Spidey theme.

But it seems like the only piece that gets to be the centerpiece of the scene is that MCU Spider-Man/Homecoming theme.

Uh, I'm not? But you're being a bit silly. You got angry over Flash not being like the comics and then said you forgot the characters name from the comics.
So if I criticise a film I'm angry? I'm not emotionally invested like you. If you think I'm angry you really need to take a step back. I'm not a spiderman fan. However I know what Flash's character archetype is supppose to be and what his role should be. How is Flash supposed to be an obstacle for Peter in his real life that he can't solve as Spiderman when he's literally joke character #5. You can't take him serious so how is he a threat? Like I said supporting cast sucks.

Actually a huge issue in this movie is the lack of a feeling of stakes and consequence for Peter. His whole highschool life is played as a joke so when he has to make tough decisions between school life and superhero life it falls flat.
Like when he blows off the School Competition, there is literally no consequence. His friends win anyway and instead of Liz being pissed Peter blew her off AGAIN she lets him take her to the dance.
I want to feel for Peter when he has to make those tough decision and this film I felt nothing. Freakin
Vulture threatens his friends and family and he just blows it off.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That reminds me: the supporting cast was so damn good. I honestly think I liked the high school stuff even more than the Spidey stuff.

That reminds me: the supporting cast was so damn good. I honestly think I liked the high school stuff even more than the Spidey stuff.

Zendaya had me cracking up the whole damn movie.

So if I criticise a film I'm angry? I'm not emotionally invested like you. If you think I'm angry you really need to take a step back. I'm not a spiderman fan. However I know what Flash's character archetype is supppose to be and what his role should be. How is Flash supposed to be an obstacle for Peter in his real life that he can't solve as Spiderman when he's literally joke character #5. You can't take him serious so how is he a threat? Like I said supporting cast sucks.

Actually a huge issue in this movie is the lack of a feeling of stakes and consequence for Peter. His whole highschool life is played as a joke so when he has to make tough decisions between school life and superhero life it falls flat.
Like when he blows off the School Competition, there is literally no consequence. His friends win anyway and instead of Liz being pissed Peter blew her off AGAIN she lets him take her to the dance.
I want to feel for Peter when he has to make those tough decision and this film I felt nothing. Freakin
Vulture threatens his friends and family and he just blows it off.

He doesn't just blow it off what planet did you live on where he didn't feel consequence for anything he did? The whole freaking movie is about him dealing with consequences for his actions that's why the third act works. I feel like you didn't actually watch the movie.

Mauddib

Banned
Cross-posting. I just got out of the movie. These are my immediate impressions. I'll probably develop my thoughts over the coming days as I chew over the scenes in my mind.

I'm reviewing this movie as a person who would identify as a pretty huge Spider-Man fan. I have over a 700 comics of this character alone and he's easily my favourite fictional character.

Overall I thought it was a great start. It's true to Peter Parker like no other movie before it. In fact it feels so much like a Spider-Man comic (particularly like a Dan Slott issue). Do I think it's as good as Spider-Man 2 as a film? No. But that's not a problem. They are two different takes on Spidey which are both (for the most part) very respectful of the background and origin of the character.

Some things to note:

The Norman Osbourne-ing of Vulture:
What do I mean by this? Well when Norman Osbourne was first revealed to be the Green Goblin, who happened to be Peter's best friend's dad, it was a huge twist, especially for the audience. Raimi decided he didn't really want to go that route with the first Spider-Man film (which is odd), and so the audience knows about Norman's descent before the characters do. In contrast, the Vulture reveal scene was pulled off perfectly. The audience actually gasped - it was probably the first time I've heard a collective surprise reaction from an entire crowd in the cinema. It was pulled off really well, and Keaton's delivery over the next 20 minutes was flawless. Seriously, one of the best super hero villains to date.

Not much of an emotional core:
So this is something that Raimi's films got right. Although Spider-Man comics have always had a light touch to them, at the core they are very melodramatic comics. Right from Amazing Fantasy, Peter was worrying about finances, his aunt, his dating life. And it was always presented dramatically. Stan Lee himself would compare the emotional core of Spider-Man comics to Russian Literature (let's not get into his actual scripting involvement). The point is that, the dramatic components in Spider-Man's life are not presented in a light hearted manner. They're deep conflicts that completely envelope him, even when he was in high school.

Homecoming doesn't really seem to understand that. Everything is really light hearted. Well, until it's not and he has to pick up this thing:

latest

So when it happens, the emotion and struggle doesn't feel entirely earned. The movie doesn't really allow Peter to have quiet moments like Raimi's Peter does. It's so caught up in moving him from comedic scene to set piece to an MCU building scene that I'm not presented with a moment to relate to Peter.

He's kind of awkward, sure. And yes, Liz originally was crushing on him in the comics too, so I can't say that's wrong. But the only real struggle in the entire movie is him not having his costume. Where are the conversations of his Aunt struggling to make money? Or his conscience eating him whole? Where's the guilt?

Uncle Ben..
I would have at the very least liked them to acknowledge him in some way or another. Instead we get a throw away line about May having gone through a whole lot. I'm not very comfortable with Tony Stark taking up the replacement role, if they aren't at least going to mention Ben.

Action Scenes
Not sure if this was intentional, but the action scenes don't at all look as good as they do in all previous Spider-Man films. It was probably to maintain the tone of the movie, so there are no sweeping shots of him web slinging, which is a staple of the character as far as his film history is concerned. I didn't really actually mind the mostly low-key presentation of his acrobatics. I'm sure they'll play this up in subsequent films.

Rejecting Stark
I was really happy with the final decision. Looks like the MCU understands the character a lot more than the brains behind Spidey's involvement in Civil War (Quesada, Millar, Straczynski).

Sanjuro

The score let me down substantially. It's just so flat and unmemorable. Get Tyler Bates on Homecoming 2, he's the only one so far apart from Silverstri that has provided Marvel with a decent score.

They really should have just used the OG Spider-Man theme. There were about three parts in the film I thought they were going to try and lick it in, and left empty handed.

Is Flash ever actually supposed to be threat to Spider-Man in the comics, though? I never read the comics and all of his movie incarnations pretty much end up to have similar impacts to Peter's life.

Farsi

I can totally see why alot of people call this their favorite spider-man movie. It plays very well to the character and there's a bunch of small great moments that spider-man fans will love. The character development in this movie is damn great. The jokes are actually funny and didn't make me want to die of cringe like the turd joke in GoTG2.

This is a perfectly enjoyable, fun, above average marvel film and there's nothing wrong with that. Behind Logan and Lego Batman this is my 3rd favorite superhero movie this year. I still don't think it tops the first two Raimi films but damn Homecoming 2 has real potential to hit a grandslam. We're invested now Marvel, don't play it safe.

Certinty

The action is great; it's important to remember, without spoiling anything, that this is still a relatively new Spider-Man. All the action scenes make sense in that context.
Precisely this. It's actually pretty funny and refreshing to have a superhero who's constantly clueless when dealing with a proper villain due to inexperience.

Zendaya had me cracking up the whole damn movie.

He doesn't just blow it off what planet did you live on where he didn't feel consequence for anything he did? The whole freaking movie is about him dealing with consequences for his actions that's why the third act works. I feel like you didn't actually watch the movie.
Peter feel consequence? You literally can't comprehend what I am saying. BTW what consequence huh?
Liz moves away? A character that we don't care about and is completely bland. A character with zero endearing scenes and no real relationship with Peter.
. Nothing. He is rewarded for doing the same thing he
lost his suit for. He went in alone and nearly killed everyone at a carnival to stop a petty theif that he already knew the identity of

It wasn't very funny either. The more I think about this film the more I don't like it.

Maybe take the spoiler discussion over to the spoiler thread? Some of us in here still haven't seen the movie and are just looking for reviews and reactions.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Isn't that not really an issue though after he
visited the symbiote homeworld?

Even so, if they ever actually did make it to an Agent Venom storyline, it's that internal conflict that would be the selling point on the character.

It's why you would tell that story at all.

Defect

I know Eddie Brock would most likely be venom if they do use him.

Am I remembering wrong that Flash became venom in one of the cartoons?

JB1981

The score starts really strong, with the orchestral version of the theme and then the Homecoming/MCU Spidey theme.

But it seems like the only piece that gets to be the centerpiece of the scene is that MCU Spider-Man/Homecoming theme.

I found the score disappointing yea

Monocle

Can there be any doubt this was the best Spider-Man movie ever?

- perfect casting for everyone
- a fresh young take on Peter Parker (miles above Maguire and Garfield) that actually takes the time to show believable slices of school life
- a Spider-Man who captures the essence of the character's light and serious sides incredibly well
- a believable sympathetic villain with compelling motivations who's linked to the hero in an interesting way, poses a serious threat to Spider-Man and the public, and has a certain sense of honor
- no beating the dead horse of Spider-Man's origin story
- strong but not stifling ties to the Marvel cinematic universe—ties that strengthen the film
- exceptionally consistent humor and great action that showcases Spider-Man's abilities

People who rag on Marvel movies need to take a seat. They are very good at what they do.

fell short of the Raimi movies for me in quite a few factors (especially the emotional center of the movie) but still it was an enjoyable superhero movie. certainly a significant step above the amazing spiderman movies in characterization and just being an all round better film.

we all knew tom holland's foray in the suit was going to be fine after civil war, so no surprises at how fun it was seeing him play Parker. But what I came away surprised with was the villain and the use of the mcu world building.

this movie has the strongest sense of establishing itself into a greater marvel universe than any of the other mcu movies prior big time imo. little details like the kids playing "Fuck Marry Kill" with the Avengers, or seeing Captain America give PSAs to students for instance. and particularly showing the construction industry/working class and their involvement and opinions when this shit goes down. that leads me to Michael Keaton. dude was great, best mcu villain for sure.
I loved that he was basically a blue collar worker at the beginning who turns to crime due to him and his employees being screwed over by the big guys.
. Vulture wings and jacket looked great too, and he had solid screen presence whenever it was time to be menacing.

oh and Stark. glad the trailers overstated how much he was in this. but whenever him or Happy are on screen its welcome, they're great in here. Frankly I hope this is the largest extent of the other marvel characters we'll see in this series. I could do with a few more pop-in phone calls/visits from Downey and Favreau once in a while. But what the sequel needs more of is that high school stuff and swinging around new york. this was lacking compared to all 5 previous spiderman movies in webswinging action shots. throwing him in washington and the suburbs is novel and all that but we need those dope kinetic webswinging scenes weaving through traffic and skyscrapers.

my favorite scenes involving Spider-Man himself are probably when he's messing around new york in the beginning, interacting with the people. I hope this is expanded upon in 2. And also that one moment with Donald Glover. Don't want to get into details to spoil it but a Batvoice and Spiderman sure don't mix well haha.

swinging around new york. this was lacking compared to all 5 previous spiderman movies in webswinging action shots. throwing him in washington and the suburbs is novel and all that but we need those dope kinetic webswinging scenes weaving through traffic and skyscrapers.

This is one of the reasons why I liked it so much. We've seen that kind of Spiderman swinging between skyscrapers 5 times before, I was delighted that it mostly took place elsewhere.

I have never seen Spiderman afraid of a fall before, he's always so confident with buildings all around. I love the Washinton Monument scene because of this.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I know Eddie Brock would most likely be venom if they do use him.

Am I remembering wrong that Flash became venom in one of the cartoons?
Flash got the whole 'Agent Venom' costume in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. But instead of the government agent thing, they explain the costume as the symbiote having shaped itself around his football gear (which Flash was wearing when he gets in the way of the symbiote).

Peter is all freaked out that the symbiote will take him over, but instead Flash just goes "nah, I'll be fine." So he's a good guy.

Sojgat

Can there be any doubt this was the best Spider-Man movie ever?

- perfect casting for everyone
- a fresh young take on Peter Parker (miles above Maguire and Garfield) that actually takes the time to show believable slices of school life
- a Spider-Man who captures the essence of the character's light and serious sides incredibly well
- a believable sympathetic villain with compelling motivations who's linked to the hero in an interesting way, poses a serious threat to Spider-Man and the public, and has a certain sense of honor
- no beating the dead horse of Spider-Man's origin story
- strong but not stifling ties to the Marvel cinematic universe—ties that strengthen the film
- exceptionally consistent humor and great action that showcases Spider-Man's abilities

People who rag on Marvel movies need to take a seat. They are very good at what they do.

Best Spider-Man movie and best MCU movie IMO.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Cross-posting. I just got out of the movie. These are my immediate impressions. I'll probably develop my thoughts over the coming days as I chew over the scenes in my mind.

I'm reviewing this movie as a person who would identify as a pretty huge Spider-Man fan. I have over a 700 comics of this character alone and he's easily my favourite fictional character.

Overall I thought it was a great start. It's true to Peter Parker like no other movie before it. In fact it feels so much like a Spider-Man comic (particularly like a Dan Slott issue). Do I think it's as good as Spider-Man 2 as a film? No. But that's not a problem. They are two different takes on Spidey which are both (for the most part) very respectful of the background and origin of the character.

Some things to note:

The Norman Osbourne-ing of Vulture:
What do I mean by this? Well when Norman Osbourne was first revealed to be the Green Goblin, who happened to be Peter's best friend's dad, it was a huge twist, especially for the audience. Raimi decided he didn't really want to go that route with the first Spider-Man film (which is odd), and so the audience knows about Norman's descent before the characters do. In contrast, the Vulture reveal scene was pulled off perfectly. The audience actually gasped - it was probably the first time I've heard a collective surprise reaction from an entire crowd in the cinema. It was pulled off really well, and Keaton's delivery over the next 20 minutes was flawless. Seriously, one of the best super hero villains to date.

Not much of an emotional core:
So this is something that Raimi's films got right. Although Spider-Man comics have always had a light touch to them, at the core they are very melodramatic comics. Right from Amazing Fantasy, Peter was worrying about finances, his aunt, his dating life. And it was always presented dramatically. Stan Lee himself would compare the emotional core of Spider-Man comics to Russian Literature (let's not get into his actual scripting involvement). The point is that, the dramatic components in Spider-Man's life are not presented in a light hearted manner. They're deep conflicts that completely envelope him, even when he was in high school.

Homecoming doesn't really seem to understand that. Everything is really light hearted. Well, until it's not and he has to pick up this thing:

latest

So when it happens, the emotion and struggle doesn't feel entirely earned. The movie doesn't really allow Peter to have quiet moments like Raimi's Peter does. It's so caught up in moving him from comedic scene to set piece to an MCU building scene that I'm not presented with a moment to relate to Peter.

He's kind of awkward, sure. And yes, Liz originally was crushing on him in the comics too, so I can't say that's wrong. But the only real struggle in the entire movie is him not having his costume. Where are the conversations of his Aunt struggling to make money? Or his conscience eating him whole? Where's the guilt?

Uncle Ben..
I would have at the very least liked them to acknowledge him in some way or another. Instead we get a throw away line about May having gone through a whole lot. I'm not very comfortable with Tony Stark taking up the replacement role, if they aren't at least going to mention Ben.

Action Scenes
Not sure if this was intentional, but the action scenes don't at all look as good as they do in all previous Spider-Man films. It was probably to maintain the tone of the movie, so there are no sweeping shots of him web slinging, which is a staple of the character as far as his film history is concerned. I didn't really actually mind the mostly low-key presentation of his acrobatics. I'm sure they'll play this up in subsequent films.

Rejecting Stark
I was really happy with the final decision. Looks like the MCU understands the character a lot more than the brains behind Spidey's involvement in Civil War (Quesada, Millar, Straczynski).

Wow, I agree 100%.

I'll add to the emotional core stuff that I (not really spoilers but just in case)
felt it was really missing the "why" of Spider-Man, which I think is a big part of the character. We just assume he wants to do good for whatever reason (or because we know of previous incarnations).

When he goes to the prom and walks back out, we don't really know WHY. Sure, it makes sense to want to do good things, but why risk his life and the life of his loved ones so much? We don't get one line in the whole movie about wanting to do good, about responsibility. Just one or two lines would've made this film much better, and the lifting scene much more powerful - as it is it rang mostly hollow.

Other than that, I loved the film and I think it's the best Spider-Man film and best MCU film, but there's still much to improve.

loved it. wish the cinema I was in had a bigger screen. funny, moving, and even suprisingly tense
that bit in the car when the vulture realises that peter is spiderman
had me on the edge of my seat.

Tom Hollands is amazing as spiderman and loved that
aunt may discovered his secret at the end

9/10 for me.

* read up - I'm glad they didn't do
ben
again. How many fucking times do you guys want the movie to churn over the same shit again and again.

Alienous

The score for the PlayStation Spider-Man Homecoming VR experience is just plain as hell.

It sounded like stock music that the BBC would keep on hand for documentary.

So it's a shame to hear that the music in the movie isn't a step up.

Blader

I liked his character a lot.

Score was bad though. 😢

This is an unpopular opinion, but I've always found Giacchino's film scores forgettable.

His Lost soundtrack is incredible, but I can never recall a single one of his film tunes. What's funny is I know there are a few Giacchino tracks where I can remember thinking were catchy -- like his Star Trek theme or Doctor Strange theme -- after the movie ended, but with some distance I can't for the life of me actually remember what they sound like.

Top Bottom