• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Homecoming tracking towards a 90-108M opening. Transformers 5 towards 70M

I was hoping for a Transformers bomb, but I know overseas will go crazy on this film. It didn't sound like many people were all that excited about this sequel.

I expect Homecoming to do WW numbers opening weekend, maybe slightly higher with RDJ in it as well.

Anung

Un Rama
Not suprised after Sony did everything in their power to kill the franchise. I can't believe I live in a world where I'm more hyped for a Thor sequel than Spidey.

That said I don't think this film needs to be a masterpiece. It just needs to be good and remind general audiences that Spidey can be good again. And it does look good, not amazing, but good.

PowderedToast

although he's still a universally loved character, people don't trust spider-man movies anymore. it's been like 13 years since the last good one if you consider spider-man 3 to be the beginning of the decline

Yeah I want to see Spider-Man done right, but the trailers haven't done much to excite me other than Keaton as Vulture and the promise of things to come. I think it will be really good still, but it doesn't have that same new feeling that Black Panther or even Thor 3 (thanks to the new director) has.

Patriots7

Yep, TASM2 was horrible but Thor 2 was amazing. Lol this board.

Marketing was worse than TASM, there are no headliners in the movie outside of Iron-Man and it's the third time in less than 20 years we are seeing Spider-Man in high school.

There were numerous arcs Marvel could have taken this and infused new life into the franchise and they chose possibly one of the worst angles. Good alliance, Sony and Disney!

Franchise fatigue finally hit Transformers I see.

Domestically (millions):
Transformers - $319
Revenge of the Fallen - $402
Dark of the Moon - $352
Age of Extinction - $245

WW total:
Transformers - $710
Revenge of the Fallen - $836
Dark of the Moon - $1124
Age of Extinction - $1104

It's been in decline domestically since 2009, but international has more than picked up the slack. I expect Last Knight to make just over $200 million domestic.

Homecoming probably isn't going to do explosive numbers because the Spider-Man franchise's integrity has slowly been whittled away by Sony Pictures god-awful productions over the years. It will be seen as a recovery for the brand but I wouldn't expect it to outperform the Raimi films unless word of mouth is extremely positive.

But it will hopefully set the stage for Sony just giving up on their shitfest plans and just letting Marvel manage the character as long as they can continue signing deals. This movie will do well for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up opening in the low 90s and having decent legs from there. And if it is successful and proves the character is in the right hands I could see the follow up being absolutely massive.

kswiston

If Transformers 5 actually opens to $70M domestic from Wednesday-Sunday, it might not clear $150M domestic.

If that projection holds, we're likely heading for a year where Get Out > Transformers (domestically)

J_Viper

I wonder if this would be tracking better if they just casted an adult Spidey instead of this nervous freshman thing they got going on.

I would have been in for a high school Morales flick.

If that projection holds, we're likely heading for a year where Get Out > Transformers (domestically)

Holy fuck lol

It'd be well deserved since Get Out was excellent, but who would've saw that coming?

2017 is crazy

Funny to see all the early pointing fingers already at Sony. lol

Maybe no one wants to see another reboot?
I'm personally tired of High School Spidey. I'm only in for Keaton.

Happy to see US smartened up with Transformers at least.

Realeza

Banned
He's in the movie too? I couldn't tell.

115.jpg_large

Ayyy lmao

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't know whether it's marketing doing a bad job with good content or the best job it can with mediocre content, but nothing about the trailers has done anything for me. And while I'm not a comic book fan, I am a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Maybe the character isn't for me, though. I liked Black Panther's introduction significantly more than Spiderman's last year.

Well transformers 5 be the first in the series that doesn't make a billion dollars?

Edit: Nevermind it was just the last two, but it would be lackluster if this one didn't gross a billion dollars globally considering its the most expensive one to date

Fhtagn

Spider-Man Homecoming looks like it's going to be a solid film, but the "lets show everything we can because we are desperate to convince you to see this!" vibe of the marketing is really bad. Wouldn't be surprised if that's on Sony.

I already have my ticket for the Thursday night IMAX showing down the street from my job. But yeah, much as I love Spidey, I'm way more stoked for Ragnarok and Black Panther.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Everything I've seen from Homecoming so far has made it look incredibly bland and insubstantial.

Robert Downey Jr telling jokes and an endless plethora of Avengers references isn't the same thing as your movie having anything resembling a soul or a thematic backbone, Marvel.

Hoping it's just a case of bad marketing, at any rate and that there's much, much more to the movie than what we've already seen. I'm hoping.

a916

Tracking moves up as the date nears... Estimates are super conservative this far out (or I should say always are)

Everything I've seen from Homecoming so far has made it look incredibly bland and insubstantial.

Robert Downey Jr telling jokes and an endless plethora of Avengers references isn't the same thing as your movie having anything resembling a soul or a thematic backbone, Marvel.

Hoping it's just a case of bad marketing, at any rate and that there's much, much more to the movie than what we've already seen. I'm hoping.

It does look kinda bland, but also doesn't help that the marketing has spoiled the movie and then gone even further. I'm sure someone can easily piece together the entire movie if they wanted to.

Marketing was worse than TASM, there are no headliners in the movie outside of Iron-Man and it's the third time in less than 20 years we are seeing Spider-Man in high school.

There were numerous arcs Marvel could have taken this and infused new life into the franchise and they chose possibly one of the worst angles. Good alliance, Sony and Disney!

I agree with all this, sure a little blame should go towards previous misfires but not to the extent that it should excuse this underperforming.

Seeing as how they've barely shown anything with Peter living his life as a high schooler, which we know is a huge part of the film, yeah. That stuff isn't as marketable as the Iron Man team-up or explosive set pieces.

For some reason I'm actually more excited about the new transformers than I am the new spiderman. It might be the marketing, but I was definitely more excited for the first 3 Spider-Man movies and the first ASM. This new Spider-Man screams generic Marvel superhero movie to the likes of Thor.

Keep in mind people this is tracking. Tracking go up or down depending on reception, and 90m+ would be more in line with TASM, just without the legs or 5 days to help it. It's not that bad.

Caode

Thor 2 is a masterpiece compared to Amazing Spider-Man 2.

The film I would compare The Amazing Spider-Man 2 with is Batman and Robin. That's all I could think of when I was watching it. I think Batman and Robin might actually have more entertainment value, ASM2 is just a trainwreck.

Top Bottom