• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Homecoming tracking towards a 90-108M opening. Transformers 5 towards 70M

DeathyBoy

Banned
Well, doesn't have a beef yet.

They squashed their beef?

sunny-squashes-beefs-onthenose-1.gif

Superflat

Man, I followed through with my previous post and revisited Spider-Man 2. What a great film. I remember when it came out, I viewed it through different eyes and saw it as a fairly grounded film for its time.

Compared to comic book movies now, it's way on the camp end of the spectrum -- but I loved seeing it again, giving me true emotions and sympathetic characters, in a way I hardly feel from superhero movies these days. It's a great balance of cheesy humor, action, and real sadness. The scene were Peter rejects Uncle Ben, and confesses to Aunt may are just as impactful as the day it came out. In fact, almost every scene with Peter and Aunt May nearly made me cry. Considering the entire film is about Parker failing at life, it could easily have been a completely dour film but Raimi's eccentric direction and humor really balanced everything out perfectly. Seeing it again confirms it as a classic in my eyes.

Elfman's godly score deserves praise as well, as does what I consider to be one of the best opening credits of any superhero film.

Watching Spider-Man 2 made me excited about the character again after the hollow ASM1&2 films. I'm interested to see how Homecoming stands up to it, but my expectations are tempered.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It'll be something if Transformers out shines Spider-Man

Possibly worldwide, but domestically this is probably impossible. The TF movies have made less money domestically every time post-RotF. America has caught on. Not sure why the rest of the world keeps slurping that shit up.

Watching Spider-Man 2 made me excited about the character again after the hollow ASM1&2 films. I'm interested to see how Homecoming stands up to it, but my expectations are tempered.

At the very least I expect Homecoming to "get" the character the way Spider-Man 2 does, as opposed to whatever imposter the ASM shitshows were about.

SpaceWolf

Banned
First Twitter Impression:

You know, "Homecoming" really was the perfect title for this film. But you know what title *I* would give it? The AMAZING Spider-Man!

Finally, the perfect Spider-Man film I've been waiting for my whole life.

Best Spider-Man since Spider-Man 2. This movie is so much fun. Great cast. Great action. Villain was... meh. But other than that, great.

Villain was... meh. But other than that, great.

Villain was... meh.

ad83ffbc91de7c1827f25663f4aff82c.jpg

I know, I know, Twitter pre-screening reactions are never to be trusted on the best of days, especially when singular.

sirap

Calling it the best Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 2 and then following that up with "villain was...meh"?

Cannot compute.

Octavius was amazing and the way Raimi handled his character arc was what made that movie so good.

The Kree

Banned
Calling it the best Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 2 and then following that up with "villain was...meh"?

Cannot compute.

Octavius was amazing and the way Raimi handled his character arc was what made that movie so good.

Spider-Man 2 was a good Doctor Octopus movie.

Spider-Man: Homecoming should try to be a good Spider-Man movie. His name is in the title and shit.

Cannot compute.

he meant the villain in the new one was 'meh'

sirap

he meant the villain in the new one was 'meh'

Sorry, my post was badly worded. Most superhero movies have great action and casting. What truly elevates them are great villains. There's a reason why people rank the Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 so highly above others.

Homecoming being mentioned in the same breath as SM2 despite having a underwhelming villain just feels wrong to me :p

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe it has its other benefits.

But is Doc Ock really the reason why SM2 is so beloved? I had always the feeling that its more that its actually a great movie and not a popcorn movie, as stupid as the distinction may be

I think the first hero movie should be used to establish the hero, hence why dark knight and Spider-Man 2 can be use to show a great villain because they are sequels.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Haha, what do you have against Kraven? If they didn't want to use the Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus, he was one of the best options, certainly better than the Vulture.

I just think he's a tremendously dated, goofy character who doesn't hold up particularly well when interpreted outside of the eccentric 1960s comics that birthed him. When his name is brought up, people often mention probably one of most iconic Spider-Man storlines of all time, Kraven's Last Hunt (bested in popularity and iconography probably only by The Night Gwen Stacy Died), but I think a lot of that story's popularity mostly stems from Peter's spiritual death and resurrection in that book, and doesn't have a whole lot to do with Kraven as a character or what he really brings to the table as a villain, either physically or psychologically.

I mean, the character is essentially just an outlandish game hunter. He's so lacking in any immediately interesting or threatening qualities, even the often slavishly faithful TV series Spectacular Spider-Man had to reinvent him as an equally goofy lion-creature as a means of making him stand-out from the crowd.

latest

Personally, I just don't think Kraven would make for a great live-action Spidey villain, as wonderfully, deliriously silly as that character is.

kate-beaton-marvel-kraven-1287683706.jpg

Spider-Man 2 was a good Doctor Octopus movie.

Spider-Man: Homecoming should try to be a good Spider-Man movie. His name is in the title and shit.

Spider-Man 2 was a fantastic Spider-Man movie that utterly nailed the universal essence of Spider-Man whilst still managing to serve as a great, entertaining film in its own right.

Or do you mean it wasn't a good Spider-Man movie in the sense that Spider-Man didn't tell enough jokes?

But is Doc Ock really the reason why SM2 is so beloved? I had always the feeling that its more that its actually a great movie and not a popcorn movie, as stupid as the distinction may be

(Approving nod)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
While I would love for the villain to be awesome, I've kinda just accepted that Marvel puts all their focus on making the main characters as great as possible, and just kinda using the villains as a means to expended on the characters. Wonder Woman had pretty shit villains, too, but I didn't really care much since WW was so great in it.

Oh well, that person is at least saying they nailed everything else, so that's pretty good to hear. I've been a bit hesitant on Homecoming since none of the trailers have blown me away, and Cop Car, while a pretty good film, doesn't really scream "this guy would nail Spider-Man!". Crossing my fingers we get another great Spider-Man film, he's long overdue.

I just think he's a tremendously dated, goofy character who doesn't hold up particularly well when interpreted outside of the eccentric 1960s comics that birthed him. When his name is brought up, people often mention probably one of most iconic Spider-Man storlines of all time, Kraven's Last Hunt (bested in popularity and iconography probably only by The Night Gwen Stacy Died), but I think a lot of that story's popularity mostly stems from Peter's spiritual death and resurrection in that book, and doesn't have a whole lot to do with Kraven as a character or what he really brings to the table as a villain, either physically or psychologically.

I mean, the character is essentially just an outlandish game hunter. He's so lacking in any immediately interesting or threatening qualities, even the often slavishly faithful TV series Spectacular Spider-Man had to reinvent him as an equally goofy lion-creature as a means of making him stand-out from the crowd.

Personally, I just don't think Kraven would make for a great live-action Spidey villain, as wonderfully, deliriously silly as that character is.

I see what you're saying but all Spidey villains are inherently silly and goofy imo. The Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Mysterio, the Rhino and co would have been forgotten long ago if they had been Batman villains. And that's not a criticism, they just work well with the tone of most Spider-Man stories. Same with the Flash and his ridiculously stupid / awesome rogues gallery. And the Flash tv show has managed to make most of these absurd villains (see: Captain Cold) work in live-action. Kraven could work too with the right actor and director and unlike somebody like Vulture, he has a connection to Peter which makes him a more interesting movie villain. And I think Kraven's Last Hunt is incredibly overrated btw, only worth it for Mike Zeck's incredible artwork.

But at least we can agree on the fact that Spider-Man 2 is a near perfect superhero film.

Maybe it has its other benefits.

It is a great movie overall, but Doc Ock is a solid villain. It's the best interpretation of a 'mad scientist' in a superhero film so far. But the real reason why that film is so good is because it really nails the adversity Peter has in his life from trying to balance his two selves. When he excels at being Spidey his personal life suffers, and when he hangs up his suit and tries to focus on his own happiness he does well at school and tries to reconnect with MJ, but feels guilt from not using his powers to protect those in need.

I think the first hero movie should be used to establish the hero, hence why dark knight and Spider-Man 2 can be use to show a great villain because they are sequels.

I don't think Homecoming will need to introduce the character like an origin film would, so in theory they'd be able to focus on characters. Sadly, the development that should have gone to Vulture has probably gone to Stark instead.

I hadn't intended to see this in the cinema, but after seeing a really good trailer before Guardians of the Galaxy I might have to go after all. Tom Holland looks really perfect in the role.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I see what you're saying but all Spidey villains are inherently silly and goofy imo. The Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Mysterio, the Rhino and co would have been forgotten long ago if they had been Batman villains. And that's not a criticism, they just work well with the tone of most Spider-Man stories. Same with the Flash and his ridiculously stupid / awesome rogues gallery. And the Flash tv show has managed to make most of these absurd villains (see: Captain Cold) work in live-action. Kraven could work too with the right actor and director and unlike somebody like Vulture, he has a connection to Peter which makes him a more interesting movie villain. And I think Kraven's Last Hunt is incredibly overrated btw, only worth it for Mike Zeck's incredible artwork.

While I certainly agree that pretty much all comic book characters are inherently silly by their very nature, for me I think Kraven is something of a special case in that he's a character so stunningly camp and goofy (a gamehunter who travel to New York to engage in "the ultimate hunt!"), unlike all those other characters, there's much less to Kraven that would allow him be reinterpreted in a more serious, modern context that would also really allow him to function as an engaging yet threatening antagonist, in addition to there not being a whole lot to him that's particularly compelling, neither visually or at a basic character level, unlike many of the other icons in Spidey's rogues gallery.

For yes, while there are relatively goofy characters like Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang and Ant-Man who can work in a live-action context, there are also characters like Stilt-Man and the Condiment King who probably wouldn't fare quite so well, and as a relatively shallow gimmick based character, I would very much argue Kraven belongs in the latter category.

IThe Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Mysterio, the Rhino and co would have been forgotten long ago if they had been Batman villains.

Speaking of villains who really could work and definitely deserve their due on the silver screen....

Farsi

Sorry, my post was badly worded. Most superhero movies have great action and casting. What truly elevates them are great villains. There's a reason why people rank the Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 so highly above others.

Homecoming being mentioned in the same breath as SM2 despite having a underwhelming villain just feels wrong to me :p

I agree, Doc may not have been Joker tier from TDK, but his character development along with almost every other character in SM2 was outstanding. Best overall character development across the board I've ever seen from a superhero film.

They really just want Thanos to stand out

Can't wait to see Thanos bring back Ultron and run a comedy tour together.

I don't think Homecoming will need to introduce the character like an origin film would, so in theory they'd be able to focus on characters. Sadly, the development that should have gone to Vulture has probably gone to Stark instead.

I hadn't intended to see this in the cinema, but after seeing a really good trailer before Guardians of the Galaxy I might have to go after all. Tom Holland looks really perfect in the role.

I feel like they do have to reintroduce this Spider-Man because he's different from the last two. Not his full backstory but definitely his coming of age.

Certinty

Villain being meh isn't really too surprising, barely any of these MCU movies got that part right. But as long ss it's not totally bad all is good in my eyes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Not too surprised by the villain comment, especially since this is the first big outing for Holland's Spider-Man. Him and his inner circle will probably eat up the majority of the screentime and we'll just get the barest of justification from the villain. Wonder Woman had the same issue. Dafoe only works in the original Spider-Man because of how much he ate up the scenery. That's obviously not Keaton's style. Now if the villain in the sequel sucks, that's on you, filmmakers.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Not too surprised by the villain comment, especially since this is the first big outing for Holland's Spider-Man. Him and his inner circle will probably eat up the majority of the screentime and we'll just get the barest of justification from the villain. Wonder Woman had the same issue. Dafoe only works in the original Spider-Man because of how much he ate up the scenery. That's obviously not Keaton's style. Now if the villain in the sequel sucks, that's on you, filmmakers.

Gobby had great dialogue though.

"Out am I?"
"Finish it."
"Back to formula?"

Dafoe was amazing, but dude had a decent script and character to work with.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Gobby had great dialogue though.

"Out am I?"
"Finish it."
"Back to formula?"

Dafoe was amazing, but dude had a decent script and character to work with.

Dafoe played him brilliantly and the character was graced with some spectacularly hammy dialogue, but you have to keep in mind that character basically had no clear motivation throughout the film. He's a very directionless character, unlike Doctor Octopus, who was very goal orientated and as a result made for a much more effective villain.

green_goblin_i_movie_h1.jpg

"Join me, Spiderman! Think of what we could achieve together!"
"Like what?"
"Uh......"

Dafoe played him brilliantly and the character was graced with some spectacularly hammy dialogue, but you have to keep in mind that character basically had no clear motivation throughout the film. He's a very directionless character, unlike Doctor Octopus, who was very goal orientated and as a result made for a much more effective villain.

green_goblin_i_movie_h1.jpg

"Join me, Spiderman! Think of what we could achieve together!"
"Like what?"
"Uh......"

I love the first film, but those scenes did come off a bit like Power Rangers.

Machina

Banned
Okay superhero junkies, either you have way too much expendable income or you are never, ever burnt out by anything. Is it one or both?

Lima

Okay superhero junkies, either you have way too much expendable income or you are never, ever burnt out by anything. Is it one or both?

Why would you get burned out by great movies?
Also let's not pretend going to the cinema like once a week is some kind of luxury.

sirap

Goblin was hammy, but I can remember every single line he has in that movie.

I don't even remember the plot of ASM 1...

Top Bottom