• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Homecoming tracking towards a 90-108M opening. Transformers 5 towards 70M

kunonabi

I actually liked ASM2 more than the first. I think I'd probably rank ASM1 as the worst Spider-Man movie of the five so far.

For my money ASM is still the best Spider-Man film but the first half of ASM2 through the Times Square battle is really underrated with Foxx, Rhino, and the plane scene being the only real low points. That last half was inexcusable garbage though.

El Topo

Everything I've seen from Homecoming so far has made it look incredibly bland and insubstantial.

Robert Downey Jr telling jokes and an endless plethora of Avengers references isn't the same thing as your movie having anything resembling a soul or a thematic backbone, Marvel.

Hoping it's just a case of bad marketing, at any rate and that there's much, much more to the movie than what we've already seen. I'm hoping.

Marketing has been bad. I hope, as you do, that it all works in the movie.

SpaceWolf

Banned
For all the wrong reasons!

I wish I could forget.

If they stuck with the original ending for Amazing Spiderman 2, that would definitely have pushed it into "Wost Comic Book Movie Of All Time"* territory for me. Plus if they had gone ahead and shoved in that exercised Mary Jane subplot they abandoned at the last minute into a film already over-stuffed with dozens of ridiculous subplots. Just a four hour cut of pure Sony nonsense.

Still would be really interested to see those deleted Shailene Woodley MJ scenes, though.

mj1.jpg

The quality of the marketing has been poor so the only selling point the movie has going for it is "Spider-Man but now made by Marvel Studios".

Personally the movie looks like a dud to me, looking forward to the reviews to see if I'm proven wrong.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The quality of the marketing has been poor so the only selling point the movie has going for it is "Spider-Man but now made by Marvel Studios".

Personally the movie looks like a dud to me, looking forward to the reviews to see if I'm proven wrong.

I'm expecting a lot of "It's good, not great", "It's a lot of fun!", "Not the best superhero film, but Tom Holland is likeable and he's got more movies ahead of him!" style reviews. Basically a Doctor Strange style...positive yet still middling reception. Again, hoping that won't turn out to be the case.

Abounder

Banned
Trailers need a lot more RDJ

Anyway those numbers - that's what happens when you take the box office king and reboot it 3 times in 10 years

BlitzKeeg

Trailers need a lot more RDJ

Anyway those numbers - that's what happens when you take the box office king and reboot it 3 times in 10 years

Seriously.

I haven't been following superhero movies at all but am considering watching this one because it has RDJ face in it. I really like him as Iron Man and he's the best part of those movies every time.

Not to mention it has the Birdman himself, Michael Keaton.

Jombie

Between all of the clips, trailers, ads and the distinct feeling of 'been there, done that', I honestly don't feel like I need to see it.

When you consider how awful the last Spider-Man movies were, that they basically killed the franchise, and how many reboot these movies have gotten...I'd be pretty happy with that opening if I were Marvel.

I'm pretty forgiving, but the trailers for this movie left me feeling 'meh'. The PS4 game might be a better movie than this, we'll see.

BadAss2961

I don't think the lack of excitement has anything to do with the ASM movies. Homecoming just doesn't look very good. You'd think Marvel would make sort of an event over this, but they're basically giving Spidey the Ant-Man treatment instead.

Having said that, I still think these are lowball estimates.

RDJ being in it so much is dampening my hype. Also...the film looks safe. By the numbers. The marketing hasn't shown anything unique about the film. Still day 1, but I'm going in with low expectations.

eizarus

Banned
I know some people are saying that this is due to Sony ruining the brand, but I'd argue this is very clearly a Marvel movie (I heard Iron Man shows up) and their origin movies have started to become formulaic. Now this doesn't seem like it will be another generic origin movie, but it might be viewed as such prior to release by the general public.

My £0.02

Another reason I am not that psyched is they seem to have shown the whole damn movie in the trailers. Sometimes less is more.

The Jarvis-lite thing should have not been in the trailer! Would have been a lovely surprise

Having just watched Wonder Woman my already low interest in Homecoming plummeted even further. They played the international trailer right before the showing and it was full of Avengers references and annoying teenager Spidy jokes. Maybe I'm too old now, but I think I vastly prefer Raimi's version to this even if this portrayal is more accurate to the comics. Doesn't help that WW was excellent and seeing an adult hero kicking ass in a relatively serious manner might just be more my cup of tea now

Pretty horrible for spiderman, and that's a spiderman in the MCU. If the numbers hold, I can't help but begin to wonder how venom and other movies in sony's spideyverse will play out.

All party of Sony Pictures plan, have Marvel build the brand back up then once it's worth value again, take it back and do their own "spidyverse" crap.

It's probably not the reason for the lower projections, but I know for me personally the amount of Stark in the trailers has tempered my excitement.

Spoit

I dunno if I'm just not watching the right media, but it seems like Sony has really been doing a terrible job advertising that it was coming soon. I've seen the Ragnarok trailer more often in theaters than I've seen trailers for this on anything other than going out and searching for them on youtube.

kswiston

It's probably not the reason for the lower projections, but I know for me personally the amount of Stark in the trailers has tempered my excitement.

I expect almost all of the Stark stuff to be in the first act based on what was shown. The Ferry scene screams "kick off of act 2" to me.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I expect almost all of the Stark stuff to be in the first act based on what was shown. The Ferry scene screams "kick off of act 2" to me.

There's a scene in a trailer I watched the other day in which Stark scolds the heck out of Peter. It felt like "emotional Act 2 turning point" to me.

J_Viper

For everything terrible about the ASM movies, and there sure is plenty, at least those movies "look" incredible. Homecoming's visuals are incredibly bland by comparison.

And that's not another "MCU has soap opera cinematography" jab, but Homecoming in particular has nothing going for it in that department.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
For everything terrible about the ASM movies, and there sure is plenty, at least those movies "look" incredible. Homecoming's visuals are incredibly bland by comparison.

And that's not another "MCU has soap opera cinematography" jab, but Homecoming in particular has nothing going for it in that department.

I think part of this is also just the subject matter. I don't know about other people, but I'm a lot more interested in the "out there" Marvel movies like Thor 3, Guardians, or even Doctor Strange than the more ho-hum looking Spider-Man world. And it obviously doesn't help that we've already had so many Spidey movies.

J_Viper

I think part of this is also just the subject matter. I don't know about other people, but I'm a lot more interested in the "out there" Marvel movies like Thor 3, Guardians, or even Doctor Strange than the more ho-hum looking Spider-Man world. And it obviously doesn't help that we've already had so many Spidey movies.

I'm with you on being interested in the mystic/sci-if side of Marvel flicks, but I'm down for something grounded as long as there's some kind of hook. A neat looking action sequence, an interesting protagonist, a unique setting, SOMETHING.

Not a single thing about Homecoming has looked at all compelling.

Buckle

Surprisingly mediocre trailers so I can't say I'm too surprised.

Its just not getting me hyped the way a MCU Spidey should.

This seems intentional, unfortunately. They said before that they were going for an "80s John Hughes look" for the film. So that's probably why it looks so bland for a film with this subject matter. Hopefully when we see the full movie it cranks it up during action scenes.
But yeah, I'm strangely unexcited for this. I love Spider Man, but all of the other Marvel stuff has surpassed it so far in my mind that I'm just not too hyped. Honestly, I wish I hadn't watched the last couple trailers.

BTW, I'm pretty damn sure this will do above 100+ million. It has the MCU stamp of approval, along with the goodwill from Civil War debut, and while I could be wrong, "my gut feeling" tells me this movie will earn a good/great tomato meter average, much like Wonder Woman did, which will result in further increase interest/goodwill.

From there, like GOTG, the sequel will be a even bigger, BC of the likely positive outcome from the first movie.

Granted, all of this could be hope talking, as the Fox Kids' Spider-Man TAS was one of my favorite comic book heroes as a child in the 90s.

Top Bottom