• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-man into the Spider-verse

It was an enjoyable movie. In the end it's just a solid superhero movie and I'll forgot about it shortly.

The humor was really fun though.

Last edited by a moderator:

quickwhips

I'm not a fan of multiverse stuff when it comes to Spider-Man or all the Spider people Marvel keeps crapping out, I hate most alternate takes on Spidey characters so I was pretty much out once I saw ultimate Goblin, I can't stand the animation style regardless of the supposed intent behind it, Gwen's godawful haircut isn't something I feel like looking at 2 hours, and Zoe Kravitz as MJ doesn't work for me.

I'm honestly only a fan of the classic Spidey I grew up with so I just don't have the tolerance for all the nonsense everyone keeps pulling with him nowadays.

That said, I was actually leaning towards seeing the movie initially since Miles actually looked interesting for once and the awful animation wasn't as apparent in the first teaser but once they started incorporating everything else it was a pass for me. I'm sure it's a well made film it just isn't for me is all.
I agree mostly on not a fan of all the spider men. I liked miles when it happened as it gave Peter this epic death that I thought was permanent. It showed the world with out peter which was interesting and showed a fleshed out take on Spider-Man. I never read it as a black Spider-Man book but as a young kid trying to fill very big shoes while being poor. Same story they gave peter when he launched after Ben died.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Only a two page thread? For shame, NeoGAF. What an amazing movie. Easily the best Spider-Man movie, and probably the best super hero movie too.

ellie666

Neo Member
Not much into comics world, but for me that probably was the best movie i've ever seen on big screen! Stunning animation, perfectly developed plot and characters and GREAT soundtracks

100/10

mcz117chief

Really loved it, don't know if I would rank it above Homecoming because that movie is just stellar on so many levels. My favourite part of this one is definitely Penny Parker, so cute and her robot is awesome. I would love to see an entire movie about her or Spider Noir.

Last edited:
Really loved it, don't know if I would rank it above Homecoming because that movie is just stellar on so many levels. My favourite part of this one is definitely Penny Parker, so cute and her robot is awesome. I would love to see an entire movie about her or Spider Noir.

I’d watch a Penny Parker solo movie and Noir solo movie with same voice actor for sure.

Yeah this movie is tremendous. People are missing out

mcz117chief

I’d watch a Penny Parker solo movie and Noir solo movie with same voice actor for sure.

Yeah this movie is tremendous. People are missing out
Definitely. I saw Mortal Engines a week before and this is a considerable step up in quality in comparison, altough Mortal Engines wasn't a bad movie either (except for the obvious pandering to the Chinese). The best thing about Spider-verse is that is has a great pace, great humour and flows well, you just can't get bored with it, not a dull moment in the entire movie. And the animators did an amazing job to deliver such high quality content all the way through, not slacking off in any of the scenes, so much detail was put into everything, just loved it.

olimariOA

Banned
I really liked it, but it's not the perfect movie by any stretch.

PROS
-incredible and consistent style that lets amazing artists be creative in the best ways
-voice acting all felt great and full of heart
-funny without trying too hard (ragnarok)
-mostly great characters
-nice pacing

CONS
-fight scenes were mostly frenetic trash without good choreography
-penny was the weakest link with acting and design
-scorpion and kingpin felt way overpowered

All in all still my favorite Spider-Thing to get released and has totally sold me on Miles (I don't read comics).
But it's not in my top 10 animated Super Things.

olimariOA

Banned
I truly believe they could release a Spider-Ham/Noir short and it would kill.
"This is for you. It fits in your pocket" was a perfect line. Mulaney killed it and the writers didn't overplay their comic relief (Ham and Noir).

manfestival

I read comics here and there when I get my itch. Anyone see it that DOESN'T care for anything Spiderman? I know I don't but I get bored easily and I love going to the movies. I just really do not care for spiderman anything. I did real the multiverse comic after being begged many times and it was really really good(probably one of marvels better events ever) but still not a fan of spiderman.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Most certainly Nick Cage's best comics related role.

Was blown away by how good it was, felt like an actual comic event with meaning.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I didn’t think he was a real character when I first saw him in The Simpsons movie.

tumblr_n90mn4JSJK1t3jmtdo1_r1_500.gif

Xenon

Ok I loved this movie. I regret missing it in the theater. I never read the comic but Miles seems pretty interesting. Still, killing off Peter to diversify the character was never something I was completely cool with. I would have much rather him retire or something like that and in a way this movie proves how cool that could have been without resorting to other universes, time travel, etc. None of that bothered me while watching. Though it's funny they had to kill him off in the Gwen universe as well. There's something oddly symbolic about it.

Last edited:
I am not into the multiverse thing very much. I hear great things but to take something that already exists and toss it into a blender and throw the blender into an infinity vortex seems like the dubstep of storytelling. It's the abstract painting of art. Like, literally anything goes. You're just tossing a bunch of things at a wall and making sense of selected bits.

I like that Peter Parker is Spider-man and that's the end of it.

Imagine Into the Wolverine verse where Wolverine is a bottle of gatorade. Into the Iron Man verse where Tony Stark is a squirrel. Into the Hulk verse where all that exists is a sea of gumballs. Going by the idea of it, all these wacky verses must co-exist. You can turn out a Batman movie and call it Into the Spider-verse. There's a Spider-verse where Spider-man is a cayenne pepper connoisseur living in China, located underneath Australia and New York never existed. And by the way, Australia is a species of extinct refrigerator that once ate calculators inside pickles. Literally anything you think of goes.

kunonabi

Turns out skipping it was an even better choice for me as i would have got up and left as soon as it became clear that MJ and Peter were divorced anyway.

Doom85

Ok I loved this movie. I regret missing it in the theater. I never read the comic but Miles seems pretty interesting. Still, killing off Peter to diversify the character was never something I was completely cool with. I would have much rather him retire or something like that and in a way this movie proves how cool that could have been without resorting to other universes, time travel, etc. None of that bothered me while watching. Though it's funny they had to kill him off in the Gwen universe as well. There's something oddly symbolic about it.

Peter died as well in the comics before Miles becomes Spider-man but regardless it's the Peter from Miles' universe, not THE Peter Parker. While the movie never specifies, I'm pretty sure Peter B. Parker is meant to be the main Peter (especially since Miles' Peter was blond).

Miles' Peter had to die before if he didn't then Miles wouldn't have had a reason to become Spider-man. He made it clear he didn't want this life but once he made that promise to Peter before he died he had to see it through.

The Spider-Gwen comic actually does some cool "what if" stuff like that. Peter continues getting bullied since he never got bitten and Gwen has to stand up for him and Peter feels guilty that other people have to fight his battles so he creates the Lizard serum but it goes bad and eventually kills him (but due to the timing it looks like Gwen killed him). Matt Murdock works for the criminals and it shows how dangerous a skilled lawyer would be on the wrong side. Frank Castle is a cop who works with Capt. Stacy and is as ruthless towards vigilantes as Punisher would have been towards criminals.

Xenon

I know he died in the Ultimate series. And Miles had no problem becoming a Spiderman without seeing Peter die there. So his death wasn't needed.

I hope we get a movie (live action or CG) with Hulk, Red Hulk, Grey Hulk, Blue Hulk and She Hulk. I also hope to see Spoderman in a potential into the spider-verse sequel.

Elcid

Banned
This movie quickly became one of my GOAT movies. Seriously, one of the best movies I have ever seen. I love suicidal Peter Parker so much.

lock2k

Banned
Anyone else think this was the dopest spider-man movie yet?

Saw half of it with my daughter and loved every minute. Only started watching it because she loves spiderman and was interested because there were many of them. Will watch the rest this week.

Had no expectations and thought it was really good and a fun movie. Maybe it's just me but I generally think animation suits superherors way more than live action movies. The imagination can run wild with animation. To me, it shits all over the current marvel movies. Great little gem.

jadedm17

I like that Peter Parker is Spider-man and that's the end of it.
.... inside pickles. Literally anything you think of goes.
I feel like you missed the point.

Are you a Spider-Man fan to start? How about Ninja Turtles? Have you seen Turtles Forever?

This - to me - is just fan service, a love letter for fans of the property (as was TMNT Forever); From the start i felt the love and energy just in the opening credits.

Was this meant to replace the live action movies or cartoons, an argueably better jumping off point for newcomers? I dont think so.

They didnt make things out of thin air, like Turtles Forever they took a bunch of versions over the years and made something interesting for everyone : I was sold when i heard Jake Johnson, ive got little cousins who loved SpiderPig, and ive got friends who loved seeing the noir and anime versions in action.

Yes i love this movie.

I feel like you missed the point.

Are you a Spider-Man fan to start? How about Ninja Turtles? Have you seen Turtles Forever?

This - to me - is just fan service, a love letter for fans of the property (as was TMNT Forever); From the start i felt the love and energy just in the opening credits.

Was this meant to replace the live action movies or cartoons, an argueably better jumping off point for newcomers? I dont think so.

They didnt make things out of thin air, like Turtles Forever they took a bunch of versions over the years and made something interesting for everyone : I was sold when i heard Jake Johnson, ive got little cousins who loved SpiderPig, and ive got friends who loved seeing the noir and anime versions in action.

Yes i love this movie.
I haven't seen it myself. But I'm totally willing to accept that I'm wrong.

For some reason the bloated review scores made me think it was something special. Naturally it isn't for anyone but hardcore fans. I couldn't get over the 10fps animation style. Had it been consistent, maybe. But some things moved at 24fps while others chugged. I started to get dizzy and sick. Turned it off 20 mins in.

Last edited:
For some reason the bloated review scores made me think it was something special. Naturally it isn't for anyone but hardcore fans. I couldn't get over the 10fps animation style. Had it been consistent, maybe. But some things moved at 24fps while others chugged. I started to get dizzy and sick. Turned it off 20 mins in.
Saw it with a bunch of peeps who didnt know there was a spider gwen or miles morales and they loved it, def think it is for everyone, but yeah I get if you couldnt get over the animation.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I went to see the movie based on how amazing everyone said it was and I'm glad to say it met my high expectations. The soundtrack, the visuals, etc... were all amazing.
I'm really interested in what they throw into the inevitable sequel.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
finally saw this. had an enjoyable time. it looks fantastic. the plot is kinda meh. i guess there was some theme about believing in yourself but it wasn't done very well. i didn't like how he was unable to do anything until he remembered his dad's words. felt unearned.

some lazy undertones to the main character IMO. he is bitten while painting graffiti. if i asked my uncle to write a story about a black spiderman, that's probably the stereotype he would go with. fine, whatever. white spiderman gets bit in a science lab, just sayin'.

a lot of this movie felt unearned tbh. the whole multiple dimensions angle was very intriguing, until i realized that we wouldn't actually spend any time there. all the characters show up with a quick 30 second clip from their universe and they are just now wacky characters in the regular universe. i would have hoped for like a 10 minute side mission to the 20s noir era or they travel to the future etc. Spider Pig, Girl With Robot, etc. these are neat ideas that just seem gimmicky cos they are in the film for so little time.

still the animation is nice, really good, well done. definitely worth watching. a lot of it really looks like they just filmed some actors in costumes and ray traced it, or CGI animation that is cell shaded to look 2d, which is fine, but i admit the movie had less of a "2d animated" feel to it for me and felt more like a stylized CGI movie. still pretty good but not the most mind blowing thing ever.

Last edited:
i would have hoped for like a 10 minute side mission to the 20s noir era or they travel to the future etc. Spider Pig, Girl With Robot, etc.

I don’t fully understand your “unearned” criticisms but I do agree that it would have been cool to actually spend a little time in the other dimensions. Maybe in the sequel

Did you watch the very end of credits scene? I know some people didn’t know it’s there.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i missed it. from reading it, again, it's another quick reference. i love 60s Spider-Man but i yeah 10 seconds of more nostalgia is just like putting more syrup on my stack of pancakes when i'm already full. this is more Family Guy style in a way, quick cutaways. the girl with the robot, crying when it died, when i have seen all of 2 minutes of them in the film up to that point, was one example of the unearned stuff. it suggested a different movie i didn't see where i got to see this girl and the robot go on adventures and have this meaningful relationship. none of that is here, it is quickly referenced, a plot point that is hit, rather than anything truly substantial or exploratory.

i was hoping true dimension warping, them being trapped in other times or universes, entirely new styles of animation taking over for minutes at a time, like the last episode of Eva. really mind warping stuff. this was like, any Marvel film done with glitchy animation. right down to stopping the big laser in the sky.

don't get me wrong, it was very well done, and trippy as heck (the posterized circles & particle effects were v cool if overused), and a lot of fun, just not as imaginative as i'd have hoped given the hype.

btw i did like the sweatpants wearing Spider-Man, that was hilarious. tho, in the end, that was just more oafish-white-guy-comedy a la Fat Thor. the formula is just kind of getting old to me at this point.

Last edited:

GV82

some lazy undertones to the main character IMO. he is bitten while painting graffiti. if i asked my uncle to write a story about a black spiderman, that's probably the stereotype he would go with. fine, whatever. white spiderman gets bit in a science lab, just sayin'.

Well that plot bit is different to the comics how Miles gets bitten, iirc the spider crawls amongst oscorp tech stolen by his uncle from the oscorp labs, when it crawls into stuff he steals, & then crawls into a bag, when miles goes to visit his uncle it crawls out of the bag & it bites him, it’s been a while since I read it.

Last edited:

Doom85

Yeah, that's kinda an off-putting element of the MCU Spidey films for me, the fact that he's in high school for the third time now and I just want to see adult Peter already as that's how he is for the VAST majority of the main comics. Miles being in high school is fine since it's his first film continuity appearance, but Peter needed to grow up already and Spider-verse delivered on that.

Doom85

Felt the lack of interaction between Peter and spiderGwen was disappointing, especially compared to how emotional Spider-Men #1 was.

I feel like this Peter being as old as he is would have moved on from his Gwen's death quite a while ago, assuming it even happened in his universe. Considering he mentions his Aunt May died but nothing about Gwen it might be the case actually.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I feel like this Peter being as old as he is would have moved on from his Gwen's death quite a while ago, assuming it even happened in his universe. Considering he mentions his Aunt May died but nothing about Gwen it might be the case actually.
That’s plausible but i meant the other way. She had 0 reaction.

Doom85

That’s plausible but i meant the other way. She had 0 reaction.

She already knew Miles had a Peter in his universe who had died so I don't think she would be that surprised that the other, taller Spider-man was another universe's Peter since she had already had a week wrapping her head around the whole concept. She does advise him not to go after MJ (Miles' verse version) at Kingpin's party and said, "she's been there" indicating she does have some internal issues with her dead friend kinda being in front of her, but also given that she kinda shut off trying to connect to people in her world after Peter died it makes sense she was able to hide it.

KOMANI

KOMANI
She already knew Miles had a Peter in his universe who had died so I don't think she would be that surprised that the other, taller Spider-man was another universe's Peter since she had already had a week wrapping her head around the whole concept. She does advise him not to go after MJ (Miles' verse version) at Kingpin's party and said, "she's been there" indicating she does have some internal issues with her dead friend kinda being in front of her, but also given that she kinda shut off trying to connect to people in her world after Peter died it makes sense she was able to hide it.
Im sorry, i just dont buy it. I think it’s a miss, in what could have been a good scene between two characters. This movie did so many things better than the comics (like divorcing peter and mj instead of that terrible pact with Mephisto) and this could have been another thing they did better. Having no acknowledgement/closure between the two deaths that helped shape these heroes is a shame. It’s cool you don’t think so, but for me, it was my biggest disappointment, and maybe my only criticism.

Top Bottom