• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man remaster won't be free even if you own Spider-Man PS4

radewagon

Oh NOOOO. OHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Sony boo. Anti-Consumer..... bleh bleh bleh....

Guys, this has always been the case. Offering a game update for a new console free of charge has basically, until very recently, NEVER been a thing. Let me reiterate. It's NEVER been a thing. There's nothing wrong with continuing to not give gamers a free console generation upgrade to a currently owned title.

Moreover, both new consoles (Microsoft & Xbox) are backwards compatible with the previous gen's games. So, there is literally no reason to complain. Make NO mistake, those who are offering console gen upgrades are most likely not doing it for you (well, maybe CD Projekt Red cause they're bosses). They are doing it because they don't want to lose holiday sales on people choosing to skip a title because they don't yet have a next gen console but are planning to get one.

Peace out.

cormack12

Gold Member
And for those expecting TLOU II and GoT to get patches, no chance. They will also play on BC or have a remastered version. Sony won't be leaving double dipping money on the table for their biggest IPs however shitty it is. Loads of people will have been waiting for those titles and PS5 so in 18-24 months there will be 'remasters' guaranteed.

Last edited:

whitesugar

Banned
You can play your PS4 Spider-Man on PS5,use boost mode, no problem. And it’s FREE!

This version is more of a remaster, new trophy list, etc. includes all DLC, and it’s only $20.

I’m fine with laying $20 to get a substantial upgrade.
This is what I am not getting about the complaints. MS might be doing boosts or upgrades for free, but they aren't throwing in all the DLC with it as well. Remasters plus all the DLC are always gor a charge

Seems like people looking for an excuse to start the arrogance narrative

Bombolone

Gold Member
Have a dumb question and this thread is populating.

How do I post reaction emojis instead of 'likes 👍'
Is it an achievement I have to unlock?

LordCBH

Why would they get it for free? If Insomniac put in the time and effort to give it a facelift for PS5 then they should be compensated for thier work, if you want it that bad. Im so sick of these cheap ass entitled gamers, get over yourself.

CDPR is hiring an entire studio to remaster The Witcher 3 for next gen and giving it away to everyone who owns the game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Oh NOOOO. OHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Sony boo. Anti-Consumer..... bleh bleh bleh....

Guys, this has always been the case. Offering a game update for a new console free of charge has basically, until very recently, NEVER been a thing. Let me reiterate. It's NEVER been a thing. There's nothing wrong with continuing to not give gamers a free console generation upgrade to a currently owned title.

Moreover, both new consoles (Microsoft & Xbox) are backwards compatible with the previous gen's games. So, there is literally no reason to complain. Make NO mistake, those who are offering console gen upgrades are most likely not doing it for you (well, maybe CD Projekt Red cause they're bosses). They are doing it because they don't want to lose holiday sales on people choosing to skip a title because they don't yet have a next gen console but are planning to get one.

Peace out.

so this is incorrect for 2 reasons.

1. this isnt a new game. its an update that adds very few graphical changes. to the same game source. Its not going from say a ps2 version to ps4.

2. there has never been a time where games were all digital with updates as the norm and you could play them natively on a new console. That is a new concept for console gaming that is only happening now going from the ps4 to ps5.

it should be free.

Last edited:
"The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again"

Kokoloko85

You can play your PS4 Spider-Man on PS5,use boost mode, no problem. And it’s FREE!

This version is more of a remaster, new trophy list, etc. includes all DLC, and it’s only $20.

I’m fine with laying $20 to get a substantial upgrade.

We’ve had no information on what boost mode is since Cerny Mentioned it.

Would of been way better to mention it at the Event the other day instead of showing repeats of Call of duty , Abe‘s oddesy and DMC, Deathloop etc.

FranXico

YOu get the remastered Spider-Man if you buy the Miles Morales Ultimate edition for $70 or you can just buy MM for $50. There's no upgrade path, just BC otherwise. But I bet it will come to PS+ within the year.

Features
  • Ultimate Edition includes:
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

Std edition
There actually is no way to buy the remaster standalone either, is there?

Never heard of Game of the Year editions?
Yep, they're usually just the same game with all DLC included from what i've ever seen. I'm either misinformed or just out of the loop but i haven't seen many if any GOTY's coming with a full remaster of the base version of the game.

That aside though, Xbox managed to remaster Halo 2 entirely and port all mainline Halo games at around £39-49 when it launched. Albeit a broken launch but the value difference is immense, and it obviously works at this stage and is actively being ported to PC one game at a time with various improvements over the originals at no extra cost.

Not even comparing or trying to rub it in, but don't you feel that for a 2 year old game that im guessing you probably own right now, that it's even a good thing for Sony to focus on instead of new next gen IP or you know, an actual old game that deserves a face lift? In no way did Spiderman need a remaster, neither did TLOU when the PS4 launched but they still did it. Either that, i'm just not into Sony's strategy here with gaming. I get that they are the top dogs in terms of new games and consistent output of hits but everything else is just nah for me, enough to make me not buy into their ecosystem even for the big hitters.

Each to their own if you buy this though, just would rather not see people being double dipped.

"The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again"

That's more work than I thought it would be. Depending on how much work it might be worth it. I guess we have to wait and see if it's true.

However I will be keeping a close eye on next gen upgrades for 1st party titles. I'm going to see if they charge for simple resolution patched for games like Ghost of Tsushima for example.

Last edited:

Shmunter

That's more work than I thought it would be. Depending on how much work it might be worth it. I guess we have to wait and see if it's true.

However I will be keeping a close eye on next gen upgrades for 1st party titles. I'm going to see if they charge for simple resolution patched for games like Ghost of Tsushima for example.
Mostly cut and pasted from the work that was done to Miles Morales no doubt.

Arkam

What's interesting is, you do get the PS5 version of Miles Morales for free if you buy the PS4 version.
That makes sense though. They are selling people that later this year... when the PS5 comes out. We all bought SM on PS4 two years ago. Expecting free upgrades on all games it simply stupid. And if anyone is being arrogant it’s the players from my view. Y’all take one studio/companies gamble and assume it’s sound business best practices. Look who is giving you free upgrades and why. Plus there is the variable (pun intended) of PS4 games running in boost mode. We still don’t know what that will look like (literally). Def not gonna match a remaster, but will be free and enhance the game.

FranXico

Plus there is the variable (pun intended) of PS4 games running in boost mode. We still don’t know what that will look like (literally). Def not gonna match a remaster, but will be free and enhance the game.
PS5 Boost of PS4 games will primarily serve the purpose of having more stable framerates.

Entroyp

Better get that ultimate edition or whatever it’s called. I wan’t to give SM on PS5 another go, I loved that game.

Can we preorder the digital version of PS5 games ATM?

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Lol, "remastering" a 2 year old game and making existing owners buy it again. Get outta here. Though I guess they did something similar with The Last Of Us. Aren't other PS4 games getting performance improvements just from running on PS5 hardware? I doubt this "remaster" will offer anything worthwhile above and beyond that to existing owners who have already played through the game.

Psajdak

Banned
I’ll have a shot at this one;

Free because the upgrade’s are not remasters, they are tweaks for last gen games taking advantage of more powerful hardware. Similar situation to Pro/X patches this gen. No new gameplay or levels are created. These sorts of upgrades do not require creative input, and can be achieved by a small skeleton crew, certainly nothing compared to the original investment and can even be nothing more than an R&D exercise for future games.

Furthermore, it’s a goodwill exercise by a platform holder to their user base. Even many 3rd parties are providing free patches.

From a business perspective, updates can reinvigorate interest and spur existing owners to revisit games by purchasing dlc they passed on previously. It’s not all a 0 sum game.

It’s bad optics and PR forcing loyal users to re-buy an update. The sour taste builds up overtime with fans and will cost more out the other end in due time.
Spider-Man (PS4) is a PS4 game, and PS4 console was around for a while; no matter what authors said/promised, or how old game is, they have a right to charge for it to run on next gen console.

TheGejsza

I see them not giving free update for Spider Man because people would just buy PS4 version and get free upgrade to PS5 and don't give a fuck about Miles Morales. But I fucking expected that if I have original PS4 Spider Man and buy Spider Man Miles Morales they would give me Spider Man remastered too.

• Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)
I think giving free Spider Man (PS5) for the owners of PS4 version if they bought Spider Man Miles Morales(PS5) would be totally ok. 60euro SM MM + SM (PS4) via current PSN value would give them around the same amount of money as selling Ultimate Edition for PS5 so this would not be exploited in any way.

If they don't do it they will be greedy fuckers - they will hope that previous owners of PS4 edition would throw additional 20$/20euro to have full experiance but I bet not many player would buy again Spider Man on PS5 if they have PS4 version. If they don't give original owners this kind of "offer" they will be assfuck greedy and anti-consumer.

I don't like this new Sony...

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lol, "remastering" a 2 year old game and making existing owners buy it again. Get outta here. Though I guess they did something similar with The Last Of Us. Aren't other PS4 games getting performance improvements just from running on PS5 hardware? I doubt this "remaster" will offer anything worthwhile above and beyond that to existing owners who have already played through the game.
I remember being made to buy The Last of Us Remastered. It was a dark day when Andrew House and his team of henchmen came knocking on my door with shotguns and marched me to my PS4 to put my credit card details in and hit the buy button. I don't know how they can lawfully get away with such behaviour.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's a shame. I love this game, it's in my top 3 of the generation, and I'd love to see the improved version. But I've also 100%ed it twice (once at the highest difficulty), so really not sure about paying for it again.

scydrex

It's a remastered version of the game , so yeah, they'll charge for it.

Well if it's a remastered ok but they have to give something for the people who own the ps4 version a patch or upgrade for 4k 60fps at least maybe the dlc too. This seems like the same as 505.

If you own the ps4 version and get morales for $50 they should give the remaster for free.

Last edited:
Not surprised. GTA 5’s and TLOU’s PS4 remasters weren’t free for the same reason.

Spider-Man PS4 was at one point the best selling PS4 exclusive ever. It would be financially stupid of Sony to just give out a remastered version for free: they know people will buy it again because it‘s a beloved IP.

Not really comparable to less successful games like Borderlands 3.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Spider-Man (PS4) is a PS4 game, and PS4 console was around for a while; no matter what authors said/promised, or how old game is, they have a right to charge for it to run on next gen console.
They can charge whatever they want. But it doesn’t mean we don’t see through it when the majority of the improvements end up being ini file slider adjustments. There are clear remakes like Shadow of The Colossus or upcoming Demons Souls - take my money.

Even last gen PS3 to PS4 required obvious engine rewrites due to drastically different architectures.

But times change, and devs can piss down wind and tell me it’s raining all they want, doesn’t mean it’s right.

If there was a nominal fee patch even, can support that. But being forced to re-buy the game is going too far. I bet even the save game won’t transfer over - laughable.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And for those expecting TLOU II and GoT to get patches, no chance. They will also play on BC or have a remastered version. Sony won't be leaving double dipping money on the table for their biggest IPs however shitty it is. Loads of people will have been waiting for those titles and PS5 so in 18-24 months there will be 'remasters' guaranteed.
Yup.

I knew Sony wouldn't give free upgrades. No wonder they kept their mouth shut all year, while MS talked about smart delivery.

The argument was PS4 remasters had to be charged money because it was so much work as the old game was on PS3 which is different architecture. And there weren't any digital upgrade downloads to apply it against. Ya right.

PS4/PS5 is no different than Xbox One/Series X. Systems are similar enough to allow BC and enhancement patches.

A remake is different because that's a game rebuilt from the ground up, a remaster is really just an enhancement patch that can easily apply to a PS4 file.

Last edited:

Arkam

PS5 Boost of PS4 games will primarily serve the purpose of having more stable framerates.
Probably. And I expected Higher (consistently) resolution on games with dynamic resolution. Would be nice to hear about a how a few first party games run in boost.

TheGejsza

If you own the ps4 version of Spider Man and get Miles Morales (PS5 version) for $50 they should give the remaster for free.

I am 50/50 about buying Miles Morales - depends on how big the game is - bit if I would get remasteres Spider Man because I own Ps4 version I would probably buy Miles Morales. So in the end it might by mor profitable for Sony than expecting people to buy twice same game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom