• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike VGAs Thread: [Update: FINALLY a funny joke descends upon the show post #4807]

Neuromancer said:
He says it's going to be awesome and "not what you're expecting," if I heard right.

Wonder what he means by that...

Either Kinect spin-off, Gears Kinect RTS or a subscription service for Gears 3 were Epic will deliver a new map each month alongside some exclusive play types.

Karram

It's a Kinect/controller hybrid Gears game. It will come out before Gears 3 and new copies of it will come with a Gears 3 beta code.

V_Ben

Banned
Karram said:
It's a Kinect/controller hybrid Gears game. It will come out before Gears 3 and new copies of it will come with a Gears 3 beta code.
Damn, that sounds relatively plausible.

FrankT

Well he does say new Gears of War gameplay obviously with the not what you are expecting. So Kinect Gears gameplay could be interesting to say the least. He never denied the whole Gears Kinec thing just not in Gears 3.

FoneBone

Announcing a Kinect controller so soon after launch seems like a very questionable idea. I believe it's inevitable, but making the announcement while they're still running "you are the controller" ads?

FoneBone said:
Announcing a Kinect controller so soon after launch seems like a very questionable idea. I believe it's inevitable, but making the announcement while they're still running "you are the controller" ads?
Where are you getting a new controller from?

Karram said:

Wouldn't make sense, since Gears 3 was originally April 11, which would make 3 and Kinect-Gears launch in almost the same timeframe, and development on both projects must have been structured so the Gears 3 team would move onto Kinect-Gears after the game was done in March 2011, which would make it hard to suddenly which resource focus all of the sudden.

(unless of course that is why MS decided to move Gears 3 to Fall)

FrankT

[Nintex] said:
Awesome, now all we need is someone from Rare to get the ball rolling on their end after all Microsoft is supposed to announce 'titles' not just Gears Kinect.

Well this may give a little more credit to IGN rumor. Still hoping a for nice mix as the rumor implied.

Karram

Vinterbird said:
Wouldn't make sense, since Gears 3 was originally April 11, which would make 3 and Kinect-Gears launch in almost the same timeframe, and development on both projects must have been structured so the Gears 3 team would move onto Kinect-Gears after the game was done in March 2011, which would make it hard to suddenly which resource focus all of the sudden.

(unless of course that is why MS decided to move Gears 3 to Fall)
Well Gears 3 delay makes total sense if they want to make the Gears Kinect game sell better by adding with it the beta key. Also keep in mind there are two teams in Epic the UT team and the Gears team so the UT team
Might have been working on the game for sometime now with some help from the Gears team.

Also I remember whenever Cliff was asked about Kinect he alway talks about how the first wave of game will be hybrids and then devs will start figurin out how to develop a Kinect only game.

FoneBone

Vinterbird said:
Because headtracking, voice control and hand gestrues from time to time would not be fucking awesome...
Hand gestures, even "from time to time" vastly limit one's ability to use the controller... as for headtracking, how viable is that? (I've seen the hack demos, and they seem to have the user's head very close to the Kinect sensor. Somebody correct me if I'm off base there.)

Grecco

Still think its a Gears3 beta announcement with purchase of bulletstorm. New entire games coming out before G3 makes no sense at all.

derFeef

Grecco said:
Still think its a Gears3 beta announcement with purchase of bulletstorm. New entire games coming out before G3 makes no sense at all.
That announcement would be overkill then. "Hey, we promised new unexpected gameplay, but all you get is a beta when you buy a game not done by us!"

FrankT

Grecco said:
Still think its a Gears3 beta announcement with purchase of bulletstorm.

Well everyone is expecting that. Whether or not it's another game before Gears 3.... Kinect or not who knows. Not to mention that would have no one talking eh.

Okay, lets brainstorm.

Lets start with Kinect-only. What genres or gameplay mechanics could a Kinect only Gears of War game make use of?

Hybrid. How would you want Kinect tacked on to your Gears of War? Voice? Hand gestures. . ?

This announcement with either be 'Cool' or 'Son, I am disappoint.'

FoneBone said:
Hand gestures, even "from time to time" vastly limit one's ability to use the controller... as for headtracking, how viable is that? (I've seen the hack demos, and they seem to have the user's head very close to the Kinect sensor. Somebody correct me if I'm off base there.)

To each his own then, as I wouldn't see it limiting my controller time by lifting my hand every now and then (most people do it anyways since they are checking their phone or doing something else while playing anyway). And headtracking is very viable if it just simple look to different sides by tilting your head.

(Although, when I interviewed Kudo back in August and we talked about hardcore Kinect games, he demonstrated a very well thought out "hypothetical" FPS control method, so it could be a FPS thing - or that could be Perfect Dark)

Raide

Galvanise_ said:
Okay, lets brainstorm.

Lets start with Kinect-only. What genres or gameplay mechanics could a Kinect only Gears of War game make use of?

Hybrid. How would you want Kinect tacked on to your Gears of War? Voice? Hand gestures. . ?

Teabagging downed players.

If it's a hybrid Kinect Gears game I hope it's still fully playable with a regular controller. I don't have Kinect yet and I don't know when I'll be able to pay for it.

fernoca

FoneBone said:
What announcement?
The "hybrid controller/games "are games that use the regular controller along with Kinect, and those were said to be "in the works" around the same time that system was released in the US. There's no announcement of a separate controller at the moment. And those hybrid games are more common sense than anything else.

Plus there are games (like Harry Potter) that are regular games with added Kinect support; so is not like they've been trying to separate "you're the controller" with "you hold a controller" kind of games. And even if they tried to, is jus to PR talk, same PR they can twist as they see fit whenever they want.

I'm looking forward to seeing Batman, Uncharted, and Battlefield. I suppose I'm interest in Resistance a little too.

This show is much better than the shit award shows G4 has made over the years. That said, I really don't care about anything but the trailers.

V_Ben

Banned
macfoshizzle said:
hope they unveil respawns first game will be
If they announce that at the vga's, I won't be able to be surprised. I'll be too busy engaging in a threesome with the Olsen twins, in a frozen over hell.

fernoca said:
What announcement?
The "hybrid controller/games "are games that use the regular controller along with Kinect, and those were said to be "in the works" around the same time that system was released in the US. There's no announcement of a separate controller at the moment. And those hybrid games are more common sense than anything else.

Plus there are games (like Harry Potter) that are regular games with added Kinect support; so is not like they've been trying to separate "you're the controller" with "you hold a controller" kind of games. And even if they tried to, is jus to PR talk, same PR they can twist as they see fit whenever they want.

I would say Harry Potter is a bit different then a regular game with Kinect support (hybrid), since HP just has a Kinect mini-game in it. There's no time within the game where the controller and Kinect integrates.

FoneBone

fernoca said:
What announcement?
True, it's not like it's some secret -- but they haven't made the promise of those games a part of Kinect's marketing at all. Meanwhile, I reiterate that it is common sense that those games, when they do arrive, will need a separate controller.

Plus there are games (like Harry Potter) that are regular games with added Kinect support; so is not like they've been trying to separate "you're the controller" with "you hold a controller" kind of games.
I must have missed the combination of controller and Kinect gameplay in those games. Could you point me towards them? (Answer to the second part of your sentence: yes, it is exactly like that.)

FoneBone said:
True, it's not like it's some secret -- but they haven't made the promise of those games a part of Kinect's marketing at all. Meanwhile, I reiterate that it is common sense that those games, when they do arrive, will need a separate controller.

I must have missed the combination of controller and Kinect gameplay in those games. Could you point me towards them? (Answer to the second part of your sentence: yes, it is exactly like that.)

HP7 doesn't combine the two, it has a separate Kinect only mini-game.

And what do you mean with separate controller? Hybrid games will be Kinect + 360 controller, not a new plastic thingy.

FoneBone

Vinterbird said:
HP7 doesn't combine the two, it has a separate Kinect only mini-game.
You need a sarcasm detector.

And what do you mean with separate controller? Hybrid games will be Kinect + 360 controller, not a new plastic thingy.
That's a much dumber idea than introducing a "new plastic thingy," and I stand by that assertion.

FoneBone said:
You need a sarcasm detector.

That's a much dumber idea than introducing a "new plastic thingy," and I stand by that assertion.

As said. Gestures, headtracking and voice commands would work fine with the typical 360 controller, and wouldn't require a new plastic input device. There's no way MS will launch a new input device with Kinect and the 360 controller out there.

Has Thrashball ever been discussed in terms of how it is played? There is a Thrashball arena in Gears 3, maybe the Kinect game is Thrashball. Given that it's a fictional sport, the rules could be designed to really benefit from Kinect.

Karish

Let's think about this. Gears is largely based on popping in and out of cover. An on-rails Gears game where you duck to go in and out of cover, use motions to shoot, throw grenades, and chainsaw people seems very plausible.

Adam J.

I bet it's a Contra-esque XBLA Gears title. Buying the game gives you access to exclusive Gears 3 weapons, etc...etc...

[Nintex]

Adam J. said:
I bet it's a Contra-esque XBLA Gears title. Buying the game gives you access to exclusive Gears 3 weapons, etc...etc...
That's what I was thinking too, Gears of War Shadow Complex style or Gears of War Kinect.

Raide

Adam J. said:

Hoping its the Gears section when you ride minecarts but for 3 hours shooting stuff.

FoneBone

Vinterbird said:
There's no way MS will launch a new input device with Kinect and the 360 controller out there.
If they don't announce one within a year I will* eat my shoe live on webcam

*lie

Voice commands are cool, but there's nothing that couldn't be done with a headset; meanwhile, I can't see any gesturing not being tacked on, without a split controller. It'd have to be something used fairly sporadically in gameply.

FoneBone said:

Of course when you have to rely on hand gestures, you don't need the controller.

Or you could have a physical input (i.e. leaning) while comfortably keeping your hands on the controller.

And for headtracking: I think that distance from the sensor is not going to be a problem, given that GT5's headtracking works just fine for me, and I sit at approximately 2.5-3 meters from the pseye while playing.

Blakero said:
Let's think about this. Gears is largely based on popping in and out of cover. An on-rails Gears game where you duck to go in and out of cover, use motions to shoot, throw grenades, and chainsaw people seems very plausible.

I have enough respect, and faith, in Cliff as a designer to think he would be above that, and not take the easy way out.

TheOddOne

Who thinks this might be like the ODST reveal? They show off new footage of Gears of War 3 and after that a teaser announcement of a hybrid Gears.

Vinterbird said:
As said. Gestures, headtracking and voice commands would work fine with the typical 360 controller, and wouldn't require a new plastic input device. There's no way MS will launch a new input device with Kinect and the 360 controller out there.
In all honesty, I wouldn't mind a nunchuk device to be released with a trigger and an analog stick, so that we can take advantage of comfortable free full body movement with basic button input/an easy way for 3D navigation. Without any accelerometers etc inside it'd be really cheap too, they could probably get away with packing it in for free. Scene It came with 4 basic single-hand controllers at no extra cost.

Blakero said:

Microsoft really need to get away from the 'on-rails' games. If you told people about a controller free Star Wars game, they'd be all for it. Tell them its on rails. . .and people start to peel away.

A substantial proportion of the core gamers who are Kinect skeptics dislike the amount of on-rails games. They'll need to get games off of the rails for Kinect adoption among 'core' gamers.

V_Ben

Banned
How about a third person shooter / squad command hybrid? Sorta like a full spectrum warrior / gears thing...

InaudibleWhispa said:
In all honesty, I wouldn't mind a nunchuk device to be released with a trigger and an analog stick, so that we can take advantage of comfortable free full body movement with basic button input/an easy way for 3D navigation. Without any accelerometers etc inside it'd be really cheap too, they could probably get away with packing it in for free. Scene It came with 4 basic single-hand controllers at no extra cost.

They could probably pull it off, but I would much more seem them do a split between full body motion as being a Kinect-Only game structure, and do the smaller stuff for the hybrid games, like headtracking, hand gestures and so on.

I also think that throwing another controller out there is gonna be confusing as hell for the consumer.

Galvanise_ said:
Microsoft really need to get away from the 'on-rails' games. If you told people about a controller free Star Wars game, they'd be all for it. Tell them its on rails. . .and people start to peel away.

A substantial proportion of the core gamers who are Kinect skeptics dislike the amount of on-rails games. They'll need to get games off of the rails for Kinect adoption among 'core' gamers.

Totally agree. The only way to shut up Kinect haters would be to do a game properly for the Kinect.

Top Bottom