• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike VGAs Thread: [Update: FINALLY a funny joke descends upon the show post #4807]

[Nintex]

FoneBone said:
If they don't announce one within a year I will* eat my shoe live on webcam

*lie

Voice commands are cool, but there's nothing that couldn't be done with a headset; meanwhile, I can't see any gesturing not being tacked on, without a split controller. It'd have to be something used fairly sporadically in gameply.
I doubt they'll announce a Move or Wii-like wand for the Xbox 360 like some of you guys seem to think. Remember that Rare had a full slate of titles for a Xbox Live Vision Cam + Wand set-up in development. Outside the known racing/minigames type game Fast & Furriest, they had an FPS game with Wizards called SoulCatcher and Avatar Sports in development. I'm not sure about all the details but at some point Microsoft moved their focus towards Kinect and these games were scrapped. That's why Rare at first insisted on adding a Wand controller to the Kinect set-up, because they had experimented with Motion Controls before.

Vinterbird said:
They could probably pull it off, but I would much more seem them do a split between full body motion as being a Kinect-Only game structure, and do the smaller stuff for the hybrid games, like headtracking, hand gestures and so on.

I also think that throwing another controller out there is gonna be confusing as hell for the consumer.
I agree. If such a controller is to come, now is probably too soon. Let the public get comfortable with what Kinect can currently offer before offering additional stuff. I also think Microsoft really wants developers to see what they can do with just Kinect, and not rely on a controller. It would become a lazy fallback. I could see it in a years time though, if it accompanied the right game. Say, Perfect Dark 2.

InaudibleWhispa said:
I agree. If such a controller is to come, now is probably too soon. Let the public get comfortable with what Kinect can currently offer before offering additional stuff. I also think Microsoft really wants developers to see what they can do with just Kinect, and not rely on a controller. It would become a lazy fallback. I could see it in a years time though, if it accompanied the right game. Say, Perfect Dark 2.

I think if they announce it next year, the ship has sailed (the ship sailed at E3 09 personally), and of course Microsoft took the Kinect-Only games for the launch window, but in 2011 we're going to see hardcore games that are Kinect-Only and hybrid, which is going to make Kinect a more complete experience, and let developers do what they want (using the controller and using the unique stuff Kinect offers at the same time)

If PD2 is happening, it's not gonna be 2012 or 2011. Next year belongs to Gears and 2012 is Halo - 343.

V_Ben said:
If they announce that at the vga's, I won't be able to be surprised. I'll be too busy engaging in a threesome with the Olsen twins, in a frozen over hell.

lol i like that one.

hey who knows? look at red dead redemption.. they announced that game like 8 years ago or something.

FoneBone

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
It's not common sense at all. In fact, it will probably be proven non-sense very soon.
Last words on this (at least, without taking it to the Kinect thread): Obviously, there are hybrid games coming in some form. If those games require Kinect (and I suppose "if" is the operative word there), they'd have a tough time justifying their existence coupled with a traditional controller, as that greatly limits the motion possibilities. Gestures may have potential, head-tracking and voice commands certainly do, but at best they're "+" bullet points (and there's no reason why voice commands even need Kinect at all).

If the hybrid games are merely "Kinect-enhanced," rather than requiring it, then yes, that's another story.

EDIT: I see Vinterbird is insisting that these games will be "Kinect-only and hybrid," and I still don't agree at all with that.

Saty said:
http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/29/bilson-thq-to-announce-core-kinect-game-soon/#more-131817

Could be part of the VGA. A core Kinect game from THQ to be announced 'soon.

Probably this. Also on Move and Wii, whatever it is.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
*Looks at game list in other thread*

*Looks at Keighley comment*

*Looks at all the confirmations so far*

So, I take it that when Keighley said "way off-base and crazy", he really meant "oh drat you've figured it all out already"? :p

Nirolak said:

So, I take it that when Keighley said "way off-base and crazy", he really mean "oh drat you've figured it all out already"? :p

Ding ding ding

macfoshizzle said:
lol i like that one.

hey who knows? look at red dead redemption.. they announced that game like 8 years ago or something.

Respawn has been less then 6 months as a team, they aren't probably completely staffed. There's no way in hell we will hear anything from them for a long time.

[Nintex]

Vinterbird said:
I think if they announce it next year, the ship has sailed (the ship sailed at E3 09 personally), and of course Microsoft took the Kinect-Only games for the launch window, but in 2011 we're going to see hardcore games that are Kinect-Only and hybrid, which is going to make Kinect a more complete experience, and let developers do what they want (using the controller and using the unique stuff Kinect offers at the same time)

If PD2 is happening, it's not gonna be 2012 or 2011. Next year belongs to Gears and 2012 is Halo - 343.
If it's happening I'd say the slot Crackdown 2 had would be the best fit. It's probably going to be quite a different game since Duncan Botwood and Chris Tilston left Rare and there's little known about what role a bunch of new people have in the company. Not to mention the new structure, they now have a dedicated art group and a technical department, along with about 3 or 4 design teams. But since a Kinect project was canned last month one of those teams might've been integrated with another team already.

V_Ben

Banned
Nirolak said:

So, I take it that when Keighley said "way off-base and crazy", he really mean "oh drat you've figured it all out already"? :p
Well, he's gotta fuel speculation somehow :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Leave that Kinect junk out of Gears. On second though, make it an option. I don't want to see compromises made to accommodate that though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
LiquidMetal14 said:
Leave that Kinect junk out of Gears. On second though, make it an option. I don't want to see compromises made to accommodate that though.
We know it's not in Gears 3, so I would imagine it's some kind of XBLA Kinect title.

InaudibleWhispa said:
Has Thrashball ever been discussed in terms of how it is played? There is a Thrashball arena in Gears 3, maybe the Kinect game is Thrashball. Given that it's a fictional sport, the rules could be designed to really benefit from Kinect.
I think this is a possibility, and it's potential for hilarity would know no bounds.

FoneBone said:
Last words on this (at least, without taking it to the Kinect thread): Obviously, there are hybrid games coming in some form. If those games require Kinect (and I suppose "if" is the operative word there), they'd have a tough time justifying their existence coupled with a traditional controller, as that greatly limits the motion possibilities. Gestures may have potential, head-tracking and voice commands certainly do, but at best they're "+" bullet points (and there's no reason why voice commands even need Kinect at all).

If the hybrid games are merely "Kinect-enhanced," rather than requiring it, then yes, that's another story.

I understand why you believe a one-handed controller would be a good idea and I don't completely disagree (I had something to say about that not so long ago), but it's not a necessity at all. Even if you have to hold a standard Xbox 360 controller in one hand from time to time, it's not a big problem.

By the way, the advantage of Kinect voice recognition isn't so much in hardware as in software libraries which make things like recognition of different accents and dialects possible. That's why it's not even enabled for most languages yet.

Oh, and even if they do introduce a one-handed controller, who cares if it goes against their marketing slogan? It won't be aimed at the same people and it's just a slogan. PlayStation 3 doesn't really "do everything" either, you know? ;)

Kafel

Banned
Before Project Draco, I want to
ride that flying creature
from Gears 2 with Kinect.

I want to use the minigun on those big tanks.

I want to slap Maria.

Come on Epic.

Pooya

Nirolak said:
We know it's not in Gears 3, so I would imagine it's some kind of XBLA Kinect title.
I don't think so, mainly because:
1) Microsoft clearly wants Kinect games to be retail and more accessible, see even Child of Eden is a retail game.
2) Announcing an XBLA game at VGA?
3) it's the best opportunity for them to sell Gears 3 beta access.

TheOddOne

miladesn said:
1) Microsoft clearly wants Kinect games to be retail and more accessible, see even Child of Eden is a retail game.
Came to post this.

Point 2 is I want to stress specifically.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
miladesn said:
That's quite fair.

However, I don't think Epic has the resources to make a $50 Gears Kinect title on top of Gears of War 3, so I'm guessing this is either going to be overpriced or a lower than normal price Kinect title.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Nirolak said:
That's quite fair.

However, I don't think Epic has the resources to make a $50 Gears Kinect title on top of Gears of War 3, so I'm guessing this is either going to be overpriced or a lower than normal price Kinect title.
I think we all know the answer to this one.

Kafel

Banned
miladesn said:
yep, $60 easy.

MS first party titles aren't a bit cheaper ? And Kinect games are cheaper than normal 360 games as well.

I'm calling a $30 "Let's Play Gears - Kinect Edition".

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Going to throw in a guess for The Darkness 2.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
rexor0717 said:
Woah, that would be awesome, but is there any rumor of this at all?
Of the game existing? It was more of less confirmed that Digital Extremes are developing it. No rumor of it being at the VGA but I have a hunch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheOddOne said:
Speaking of Starbreeze, was the rumoured Syndicate game for EA ever confirmed?

Not officially, but its a safe bet that they are.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
EatChildren said:
Who, What, Where is Next for BioWare game?

Cant watch it. Apparently its blocked in my country.

I'd be very appreciative if somebody could download the video and host it on the 'tube.
You're not missing much except Geoff doing the usual cock-tease of what could this game beeeee??? Hmmmm, hmmmmm!? ;p

Mentions that the original footage is part of a longer trailer; which will get people excited. Also, that location is not where all most of the game takes place.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kaako said:
You're not missing much except Geoff doing the usual cock-tease of what could this game beeeee??? Hmmmm, hmmmmm!? ;p

Mentions that the original footage is part of a longer trailer; which will get people excited. Also, that location is not where all most of the game takes place.

Well, my cock is teased.

cuyahoga

TheOddOne said:
Speaking of Starbreeze, was the rumoured Syndicate game for EA ever confirmed?
Due out next fall and it's apparently cost a pretty penny thusfar, so it theoretically could be at the VGAs. EA needs to start the hype cycle for it sometime soon.

ArjanN

EatChildren said:
Its pretty stupid that all the VGA promotional videos and trailers are global, but these stupid teasers are not.

Any online video not being global is fucking stupid.

miladesn said:
hey, maybe Peace Walker is coming to console or something...

Could happen I guess, maybe it's just in there for the awards.

Top Bottom