• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiritual successor to Nintendo Power, "Nintendo Force" announced

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
From Chris Hoffman's Tweet it sounds like they couldn't have been a part of it for legal reasons(unless I'm misreading it)
It would only be a conflict of interest for Hoff because he still works at Future (on Maclife). Those of us who are no longer there wouldn't have any problems.

I can't speak for the other guys, but nobody contacted me about this.

Are any of us actually looking for a magazine? Or are we looking for great content? This doesn't need to be a magazine. It's absolutely the wrong way to go.

Socreges

Banned
So this has nothing to do with Nintendo Power, apart from the obvious attempt to fill the hole left by its demise? Like other people have said, unless it's somehow sanctioned by Nintendo and therefore features info and media that can't be found elsewhere, this is in no way a successor. But good luck to them.

So this has nothing to do with Nintendo Power, apart from the obvious attempt to fill the hole left by its demise? Like other people have said, unless it's somehow sanctioned by Nintendo and therefore features info and media that can't be found elsewhere, this is in no way a successor. But good luck to them.

I could see them calling it an homage, but calling it a spiritual successor just seems a bit shady with no involvement from anyone from Nintendo Power.

Sushigod7

Interested but not getting how they will distribute digital or physical? I'll throw them 20 bucks to see if it floats I like physical magazines and they seem like a good group of people.

Arla

While a lot of people might not care, I would assume insightful Nintendo fans would be excited for this. Nintendo coverage from gaming websites/blogs is terrible aside from a few writers and Nintendo-specific sites.

The group of people involved in this seem to be some of the best when it comes to educated Nintendo conversation so I'm very much looking forward to it. It's obviously going to be a digital magazine though. I've got no clue why some of you would expect this to be print.

tim.mbp

Kind of but looking at the crew I'm much more interested to see what they could do as opposed to the old NP team that honestly didn't really do anything interesting.

The features in Nintendo Power were good though. Particularly their access to various Japanese devs for interviews and insights. It was something fairly unique that wasn't matched by other magazines or websites. I have zero reason to believe this group of bloggers can match that.

joedick

I don't see the need for something limited to one video game company.

Wow, I totally disagree. Stuff that's multi-platform tend to just have space for the big names, even websites now seem to focus on the whatever will get the most clicks.

I loved Nintendo Power because they were able to champion a lot of obscure gems. They gave coverage to stuff like 999, Monster Tale, Muramasa, etc...

I'm hoping there's some nice retro coverage in the mag as well as the modern stuff. I really love the legacy stuff Lucas has written for IGN.

And what's up with people being so negative? If you're not interested, just move on.

Darryl

Banned
While a lot of people might not care, I would assume insightful Nintendo fans would be excited for this. Nintendo coverage from gaming websites/blogs is terrible aside from a few writers and Nintendo-specific sites.

The group of people involved in this seem to be some of the best when it comes to educated Nintendo conversation so I'm very much looking forward to it. It's obviously going to be a digital magazine though. I've got no clue why some of you would expect this to be print.

i don't think you need to be a big operation to send monthly issues by mail nowadays

donny2112

Should be a digital magazine for tablets ...

I think that would be more likely to be sustainable, but can understand the desire to keep a Nintendo magazine in print. If it's good and the print doesn't work out, hope they do transfer to a digital magazine, though.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I really like the sound of this. I still enjoy reading magazines - no longer for the news, but the commentary.

How is this a successor if it features none of the people that made NP great? Granted I like a lot of people associated with this but I'd rather see if the NP staff reunite for something real (they won't).

It would only be a conflict of interest for Hoff because he still works at Future (on Maclife). Those of us who are no longer there wouldn't have any problems.

Had they contacted you guys, would you have been interested? If not, what do we need to do to get you guys to do something similar, something real? Is it even possible, or has the staff moved on and that's that, even on a part-time basis?

CorbieD

Neo Member
We're just attempting to fill a bit of the void left in print publication with the demise of Nintendo Power for those of us who grew up with the magazine.

I doubt most anyone involved, if anyone at all, has anything but good intentions in starting this up. Unfortunately, I also see how it leaves a bad taste in peoples' mouths. Especially if it's going to go on sale, using a copycat logo, doesn't have ANY original NP staffers, and touts itself as a self-proclaimed "spiritual successor" without any real basis.

I mean, I know many of these people are known values and talented, but so much for a legacy! I will probably check out the first issue in some capacity (be it directly or via feedback).

IrishNinja

interested to see the 1st issue - with NP done, i have no active subscriptions going. was debating retro gamer but that's really not cheap over here, sadly

I'm a big fan of Camille Young and Jon Kay. Their work on the Mother 3 Handbook was phenomenal.

ah cool, not familiar with a number of these names but i love anyone associated with that

Looks like they tried to get the Nintendo Power crew involved at least.

...huh. any idea how far along they are?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They're making a magazine?

In 2012?

...how is the e-zine market nowadays, isn't it just as dead? That's the only alternative I see for this being successful and even still it looks slim.

NewFresh

Was kinda excited, but this just feels wrong.

Top Bottom