• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiritual successor to Nintendo Power, "Nintendo Force" announced

I'm skeptical it will work out, but I like the people behind it. Good luck!

Nintendo Power, at least in its final years, did not do this.

Random example: the final issue gave New SMB U an 8/10.

When did Nintendo Power ever do this?

There were a few rough years where their review system really sucked (they changed it from a 10-point system to a much less detailed 5-point system), but I don't remember NP ever being a rubber stamp for first party games.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm skeptical it will work out, but I like the people behind it. Good luck!

When did Nintendo Power ever do this?

There were a few rough years where their review system really sucked (they changed it from a 10-point system to a much less detailed 5-point system), but I don't remember NP ever being a rubber stamp for first party games.

I don't know about reviews, but I believe that Nintendo rewarded third party games with coverage based on how well they played ball with Nintendo. NP was very much corporate propaganda. I think the review scores in the early days were definitely lenient.

I don't know about reviews, but I believe that Nintendo rewarded third party games with coverage based on how well they played ball with Nintendo. NP was very much corporate propaganda. I think the review scores in the early days were definitely lenient.

Of course it was propaganda. I'm just saying it always seemed to be surprisingly evenhanded propaganda.

As for the early days, I can't speak on those. My subscription was spotty.

NFreak

Just posted on Twitter. Digital and physical versions confirmed.

Digital or physical? Both! #NintendoForce will be available both on-screen and in your hands, straight from your mailbox.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Does it bother anyone else that no one from NP is part of the team? That, plus calling it a spiritual sequel so soon after NP's death makes them look more like vultures than saviors

iL3NqiJSmeoC5.JPG

RazorK1d

I love the super team /crossover aspect of it all! Good luck to them in their effort. I'll be quite curious as to what the final form of this project will be.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well, the Mother 3 guide is as close to Nintendo Power as anyone have ever got, so that's a start. Interesting to see if they can maintain that level of craft on a monthly basis.

Sianos

Aye, the Mother 3 Handbook was amazing, very well done. The whole translation project was amazing, I remember when I followed the little blog.

This will be interesting.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Now that I think about it, some of the people involved with this venture work/worked at sites that regularly scanned pages and swiped information from Nintendo Power to run as news on their sites.

I guess it's time for me to start a fan site so I can give away Nintendo Force's stories for free.

Now that I think about it, some of the people involved with this venture work/worked at sites that regularly scanned pages and swiped information from Nintendo Power to run as news on their sites.

I guess it's time for me to start a fan site so I can give away Nintendo Force's stories for free.

*chew* *chew*, *PTOO!*
Boy, these grapes sure are sour.

Given that you have that kind of attitude towards fans, that might be one of the reasons they contacted The Hoff but not you. I can think of a few more reasons that he might be a better fit for what they seem to be aiming for, but I'll hold my tongue out of respect for your tenure on my favorite magazine.

FyreWulff

*chew* *chew*, *PTOO!*

Given that you have that kind of attitude towards fans, that might be one of the reasons they contacted The Hoff but not you. I can think of a few more reasons that he might be a better fit for what they seem to be aiming for, but I'll hold my tongue out of respect for your tenure on my favorite magazine.

Fans? More like fellow games journalism industry workers that lined their pockets with views based off NP scanned content, then not even after the carcass has cooled declare themselves a spiritual successor to NP.

It seems like a cool project but I'd suggest they distance themselves away from using NP as a cheap prop for their site.

@MUWANdo

Banned
*chew* *chew*, *PTOO!*

At least one of the sites he's referring to has been banned from this very board for their behaviour; such criticism goes far beyond sour grapes.

Then again, I don't see why you'd even defend these people, or expect anything insightful from them. "Nintendo Force, by the people who aggregate every last piece of mundane bullshit imaginable!"

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Fans? More like fellow games journalism industry workers that lined their pockets with views based off NP scanned content, then not even after the carcass has cooled declare themselves a spiritual successor to NP.

It seems like a cool project but I'd suggest they distance themselves away from using NP as a cheap prop for their site.
Yeah, kinda this.

The thing that gets me is that their mission statement says that "Nintendo Force isn't Nintendo Power", but then goes on to reference NP over a dozen time. It's the first and last thing mentioned in the statement, for crying out loud.

And then, of course, their logo is a direct rip-off of Nintendo Power's logo, which Nintendo Force totally is not.

I do appreciate that they loved the magazine (so did I...I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky to have gotten to work on it), but I'd like to see them do their own thing as opposed to riding on the coattails of another publication. Form your own identity, you know?

demidar

Hey, they got that Brawl in the Family guy. His comics are so good, I should catch up.

I still have no idea how they're gonna fund this, I know most of those guys have jobs but this Nintendo Power things also demands a lot of time and effort. I was under the impression that the NWR guys were basically volunteers, can they handle another bunch of work? If this runs for more than 3 months I'll be surprised.

There are reasons why one can't link his site here. Just sayin'.

Curious to see what becomes of this. There are good people involved.
Yes, due to the fact that he posts everything. (No matter how outlandish the rumor) In many cases, someone would post the outlandish rumors here, which lead to the site being banned. Many of these stories are prefaced with a RUMOR tag too--the more outlandish ones even have a disclaimer that says something to the effect of, 'this probably isn't true'. That doesn't mean RMC doesn't have the capacity to write a good review or article. The only thing that I can fault the guy for is an awful podcast.

Sheesh..lay off the hyperbole, will ya? :) Seriously, tell me how GN or NWR posting scans of say, NP's Mega Man 9 reveal, was any worse than IGN paraphrasing its contents? If anything, seeing GN post the first page of the reveal made me eager to go out and actually buy the mag so I could get the rest of the story straight from the source--which I gladly did.

I'm sorry to see the former NP writers feeling cheated by that sort of thing, but its commonplace and in no way related to the death of the magazine.

I'm sorry to see the former NP writers feeling cheated by that sort of thing, but its commonplace and in no way related to the death of the magazine.

It's commonplace to ride the coattails of the end of a beloved magazine to make your own? Where, I'd love to see the examples!

Pharros

There are reasons why one can't link his site here. Just sayin'.

Curious to see what becomes of this. There are good people involved.

Yes because like someone else said, GN posts all rumors which can essentially lead to people blindly believing them, even if properly marked. I see no reason to judge RMC for this, his writing and dedication to his site are superb.

Darryl

Banned
It's commonplace to ride the coattails of the end of a beloved magazine to make your own? Where, I'd love to see the examples!

i believe he was talking about having any sort of breaking news or content stolen from one source (nintendo power) and posted on another - which is very common and is what 99.9% of news is made of

What these Miis need is a huge megaton exclusive Wii U reveal to get some credibility and momentum

What kills Nintendo magazines are Nintendo secrets, NDAs, Ninjas, and most of all NINTENDO DIRECTS

My god at the negativity at the websites and the new magazine. o_O

These are great folks!

The only one from the list I have any beef with is Josh Thomas, he's apparently a douche in the comments section at GN, he even defended himself saying that he's fine with being one way on his site and another on GN and such, two-faced prick if true, his comments at GN were pretty biased and insulting from I remember reading of them. His defense came after someone called him out for that very reason; being seemingly nice at his own site WiiFolder and all of the sudden acting the way he was in the comments at GN...

Unless he's had a change of heart, not gonna be a fan of his... and I WAS, I liked his vids back in 2007/2008, but then I saw what he was like...

Looking forward to the digital version. I think with a roster like that, (many of those dudes have valued and trusted relationships with Nintendo reps), it's not inconceivable that they can get some exclusives. It does start to get a bit weird thoguh when most of them work for their own blogs/publications. Wouldn't they all shy away from NF getting something exclusive that would have otherwise been reportable first on their site?

My god at the negativity at the websites and the new magazine. o_O

These are great folks!

The only one from the list I have any beef with is Josh Thomas, he's apparently a douche in the comments section at GN, he even defended himself saying that he's fine with being one way on his site and another on GN and such, two-faced prick if true, his comments at GN were pretty biased and insulting from I remember reading of them. His defense came after someone called him out for that very reason; being seemingly nice at his own site WiiFolder and all of the sudden acting the way he was in the comments at GN...

Unless he's had a change of heart, not gonna be a fan of his... and I WAS, I liked his vids back in 2007/2008, but then I saw what he was like...
WiiFolder/TheBitBlock guy? Yeah, he really was a total jerkwad in the few occasions I read GN comments. Come to think of it, does GN even link to any TheBitBlock content anymore? Can't blame him if he doesn't...

thefro

Looking forward to the digital version. I think with a roster like that, (many of those dudes have valued and trusted relationships with Nintendo reps), it's not inconceivable that they can get some exclusives. It does start to get a bit weird thoguh when most of them work for their own blogs/publications. Wouldn't they all shy away from NF getting something exclusive that would have otherwise been reportable first on their site?

Yeah, that's going to be odd to try to manage things so that N-Force enhances and doesn't take away from any of their established sites if it takes off.

It'd be cool to see retro feature(s) every month... I think an interview with Howard Phillips at some point would be a must.

WiiFolder/TheBitBlock guy? Yeah, he really was a total jerkwad in the few occasions I read GN comments. Come to think of it, does GN even link to any TheBitBlock content anymore? Can't blame him if he doesn't...

Yepper, that's the one! *shake hands with Lupin for agreeing*

I'm pretty sure RMC still links to his stuff, even as recent as a few days ago.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Sheesh..lay off the hyperbole, will ya? :) Seriously, tell me how GN or NWR posting scans of say, NP's Mega Man 9 reveal, was any worse than IGN paraphrasing its contents? If anything, seeing GN post the first page of the reveal made me eager to go out and actually buy the mag so I could get the rest of the story straight from the source--which I gladly did.

...and people wonder why games journalism is such garbage. You are the problem--not just "you" in the general sense, but also you specifically. If this is the standard by which the games press should be measured then fuck it, I'm out.

Sad to see that this doesn't have a lot of fans on GAF, but just wanted to post the cover art, which can be viewed on their facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/NintendoForce

On iPad, so thats the best I can do to link it I think.

It really looks good imo, guess they will have a review of FE, but I am kinda dissapointed that they went with official art instead of creating their own. Aw well. I hope I can order the physical version on amazon since I have no credit card. If not, guess I'll have to get someone on GAF to maybe order me the first couple issues for a eShop card or something. I plan to get them all. I will have a complete set of a magazine yet!

Top Bottom