• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT| Fresh Squids 2 Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDonk

No, that's dumb. Almost every other game on the planet lets you party with friends and play the casual, non-ranked mode.

From what I've read, you can't even queue together in ranked/league mode unless you have a full team.

It's inexcusable and ridiculous, no matter how many clueless people make apologies for Nintendo.

Spot on.

How far should one play in single player before hopping online?

I don't want to be like shooters where I try it and get annihilated on spawning.

phanphare

Banned
Ugh, Nintendo stans are annoying.

I wasn't defending Nintendo with that I was ending the discussion with that particular poster

follow the quotes, I was just commenting on a simple question asked by another poster and then the other poster came in and then here come the goal posts. first it's about playing with friends in turf wars, then it's about voice chat, then it isn't about voice chat, etc.

Nintendo has made some odd decisions with this game for sure, I just didn't find that line of discussion with that particular poster to be worthwhile after a certain point so I figured I'd just drop it

AaronMT86

Not a fan of how Regular Battle never changes modes. I would love if Nintendo treated this like Quick Play with rotating modes in a non-ranked manner. How am I supposed to get different mode practice in a non ranked setting?

So just have someone run up on the charger with an auto weapon and kill them. Why would they ever be a threat?

Because it has the longest range by far and you could just splat that Inkling from far away with the charger? Rollers are easy to deal with for the same reason you described but they also have a place in the team.

No, that's dumb. Almost every other game on the planet lets you party with friends and play the casual, non-ranked mode.

From what I've read, you can't even queue together in ranked/league mode unless you have a full team.

It's inexcusable and ridiculous, no matter how many clueless people make apologies for Nintendo.
I thought you could queue up in ranked with just two people? But yeah, the options are pretty limited.

I'm on the third section, and this really is splatoon turned to 11. I think SPL2N will be the guardians of the galaxy 2 to SPL1N's guardians of the galaxy 1, better in every way except initial impact, which is fine by me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
But the sniper literally cannot defend himself without slowing his movement speed to nothing

Yeah and sometimes you can get vantage points that are hard to get to that give you clear sightlines.

Like if you're good you can just wait for them to come to you and still kill them.

Crash331

I wasn't defending Nintendo with that I was ending the discussion with that particular poster

follow the quotes, I was just commenting on a simple question asked by another poster and then the other poster came in and then here come the goal posts. first it's about playing with friends in turf wars, then it's about voice chat, then it isn't about voice chat, etc.

Nintendo has made some odd decisions with this game for sure, I just didn't find that line of discussion with that particular poster to be worthwhile after a certain point so I figured I'd just drop it

nah, you're just a nintendo apologist. Matchmaking in a party is the standard in 2017. it's not there. nintendo goofed. Get over it.

I thought you could queue up in ranked with just two people? But yeah, the options are pretty limited.

Well, I can't say for sure because first you have to be level 10 and then you have to be rank B, so I can't even try to play with friends until like 10 hours into the game.

Kinokou

I'm going crazy trying to order gear from the hub, I saw my dream shoes and couldn't order them due to being disconnected for some reason. Now I can't get that squid to re load into the hub.

I'm gonna cry. I saw the inkling again. Without a connection. Again.

Resetting the hub, there's a ton of inklings who appear again, and again and again. But not the one whose shoes I'm after.

It's like the game is tormenting me on purpose.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Sucks you can't "level up" your weapons in rank.

It does, but it's a nice encouragement to play Turf War even when you have Ranked unlocked. A good way to get a feel for different weapons you might not be familiar with and get some nice bonus EXP on the side for doing so.

phanphare

Banned

2 and 4 yeah. if you go with 2 you'll be paired with another pair. there was an option for 3 in the first game where you'd go up against other groups of 3 and 4 and I guess the devs thought that wasn't balanced for the ranked modes so they nixed it.

Semajer

A good charger can make or break a match.

But the sniper literally cannot defend himself without slowing his movement speed to nothing

I wouldn't try to rationalize it at this stage, you will start to run into amazing snipers eventually and then you can start to rework your idea of them. I'm sure some Splatoon 1 sniper vets are hanging around as well and can explain some of their tactics for you.

Either way, you'll experience them soon enough.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
How do you get more clothing? Each place only has like 6 items. Also, no new pants?

Clothing stores get new items in at midnight, your local time. As almost mentioned, you can use the Nintendo Switch Online app to order some unique gear that has a different main ability than what that piece of clothing normally has.

Catvoca

Banned
Oh, you'll find out soon enough

A charger in the hands of a good player is devastating.

I thought the sniper was bad at first until I levelled up and now I'm getting wrecked by enemy chargers lol

Some modes feel that way, but I find tower control and splatzone to be very back and forth.

Haven't played Splatzone yet but Tower control and whatever the CTF mode is can feel pretty one sided. The team who does well at the start seem to be able to pop their supers and steamroll the other team pretty often. With that being said, I did just have a dope game of Tower Control that went down to the wire so I can see how that mode can be fun.

woodland

I'm gonna cry. I saw the inkling again. Without a connection. Again.

Resetting the hub, there's a ton of inklings who appear again, and again and again. But not the one whose shoes I'm after.

It's like the game is tormenting me on purpose.

How do you reset the hub? See the same ones all at low levels with gear that doesn't really benefit me ;\

Also, really pissed at how hard MM was. Didn't know it was THAT bad to get with a friend.

Yeah, that's what this game is about. High vantage points and standing still.

084.png

Splatoon is all about movement. It's about constantly switching back and forth in squid form and using ink to traverse the environment. There may be points where you strategically hide in the ink but it's by no means what the game is about. It's about moving everywhere and getting every spot of the map covered in ink.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, that's what this game is about. High vantage points and standing still.

Moray towers and some of the other maps I can't quite remember the name of. Inkblot splatzone I think? Map dependant for sure.

Also goddamn I bought the rapid blaster thinking it was a smg and completely forgot the blaster part and brought it to rank. I was completely terrible at it but got carried on the one map I played with it.

They should just ban blasters. Nobody likes them anyway. ._.

correojon

And that special move they give the sniper takes about an hour to start up so it's a great way to get killed.
A good charger player can destroy the whole other team almost singlehandledly, as you'll surely find once you meet one or if you play ranked and manage to get to the higher ranks. In a map like Moray Towers chargers can pin the enemy team and stop them from progressing past the middle. It was the same when Splatoon released, everyone was saying roller was OP and charger was shit, until people started learning how to play them. Chargers right now have the disadvantage that they require a good knowledge of the map, while faster weapons can just jump into the fire and act on instinct, but in a few days we'll start watching some maps get completely dominated by a good charger.

Antiwhippy

A good charger player can destroy the whole other team almost singlehandledly, as you'll surely find once you meet one or if you play ranked and manage to get to the higher ranks. In a map like Moray Towers chargers can pin the enemy team and stop them from progressing past the middle. It was the same when Splatoon released, everyone was saying roller was OP and charger was shit, until people started learning how to play them. Chargers right one have the disadvantage that they require a good knowledge of the map, while faster weapons can just jump into the fire and act on instinct, but in a few days we'll start watching some maps get completely dominated by a good charger.

Ugh I really hope not. I want this game to actually be fun.

Just played a game where a charger player dominated the entire match. You'd be surprise how good people are with it.

So it's only good if you're highly skilled and use it exactly in the right ways and avoid numerous bad situations you can be in and keep yourself in incredibly specific and rare situations where you have advantage.

Or you can pick literally any other weapon and not be at a disadvantage 90% of the round.

McNum

I feel like I owe the Splat Dualies an apology. After the Testfire I kind of wrote them off, but I bought a pair and gave them a go in the full game. They're fun. and more importantly, they're pretty deadly, too. They're about as dangerous as a Splattershot Jr if you just run and gun, but then there's that combat roll... That thing is fun. And versatile. Dodge enemy fire, or roll straight at them from out of range to boost firepower for a second.

I have much to learn with these. But there is also much to learn. Looking forward to seeing what variants there are of these once I level up some more.

Kensuke

Level 12 and still playing with the Splattershot Jr. Other weapons just don't seem to click with me. With the Jr. I consistently get 900/1k points, with others I seem to get around 600. Not sure if I'm handicapping myself.

Ugh I really hope not. I want this game to actually be fun.

Chargers are the hardest weapon type to use but it's without a doubt the most powerful. Every weapon has its place in Splatoon and a good team should have a varied selection of weapons. If you're good with a charger then you'll without a doubt be one of the best players on the team. You can deal with them easily if you can get close but that can be very tricky if the player is skilled.

jonno394

Wasn't too sure I'd like Splatoon but it's a blast. Can easily see myself picking this up every other evening and playing a few matches.

Annoying when You're on a team who don't seem to be playing to cover as much ground in paint as possible and look like they're playing team death match. It's a pain when you get close to 1000pt and your team still loses, but tell you what, it's fun to play even when it happens.

Currently 13/17 for w/l. Not great but it's getting better after being 2/9 at one point. Opening 6 matches were all losses :/

Antiwhippy

Chargers are the hardest weapon type to use but it's without a doubt the most powerful. Every weapon has its place in Splatoon and a good team should have a varied selection of weapons. If you're good with a charger then you'll without a doubt be one of the best players on the team. You can deal with them easily if you can get close but that can be very tricky if the player is skilled.

That's what I mean. Sniper dominated games are what kills shooters for me.

My opinion about snipers is that they should never be the most powerful weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom