• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT| Fresh Squids 2 Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinokou

How do you reset the hub? See the same ones all at low levels with gear that doesn't really benefit me ;\

Also, really pissed at how hard MM was. Didn't know it was THAT bad to get with a friend.

Maybe resetting is to strong a word. I just load it again and sometimes there's a new face. The one I'm looking for I have seen twice, but each on their own hard reboot of the game actually (have done a couple rounds with those too without luck.)

What I have noticed so far is that the three inklings outside of Grizzco rarely change their location. They seem to always be there. This is the second set of them I noticed, first time was three yellow ones I think. Now it's always the same three orange ones.

Monumma

How do the salmon run bonus work? I got the shirt at 200, is there anything else missable to get? When do these things reset?

correojon

So it's only good if you're highly skilled and use it exactly in the right ways and avoid numerous bad situations you can be in and keep yourself in incredibly specific and rare situations where you have advantage.

Or you can pick literally any other weapon and not be at a disadvantage 90% of the round.
Charger is a great weapon, excellent in some maps and viable in all of them. One of the greatest things in Splatoon is that weapons play very differently, a Blaster, Roller or Splattershot require completely different actions to do well with them, Chargers are just one more type. If you just perch in one place and stay there the whole match you´re not playing the Charger well. The best charger players move around so their line of fire becomes much harder to predict for the enemy.

Just listen to what people who´ve been playing this for 2 years are saying.

Ugh I really hope not. I want this game to actually be fun.
I loved using an Inkbrush + Ninja Squid and high mobility to mess with chargers and take them out in close quarters, using beacons to jump around the map so they never know which way I´ll come from the next time. In the end you got into their head so they started playing nervously, paying a lot of attention to their surroundings and thus, being less active. What I mean is that there wasn´t a single weapon that completely dominated the game, there are many ways to counter everything.

Shauni

Until Salmon Run I had no idea how hard it apparently was for people to throw a fucking grenade. Like, Christ, with Maws and the jetpack things I might as well be playing but myself

Ok, you're being pretty obnoxious.

A sniper doesn't even make any sense for this type of game. Kills are a minor inconvenience. Someone sitting on top of a box waiting for someone to get close enough to shoot at isn't contributing to the actual goal of the match at all. And if they are it's easier than any other weapon for others to just clean up their work.

It's not like the range on the sniper is even good. It's like maybe 1.5x whatever the other auto fire guns have. So by the time you can get one shot off, they are in your face or throw a bomb at you or something. And then you can't run because they shot their ink all over your area.

The map design doesn't help either because players can essentially disappear at any time, plus the maps have tons of cover and flanking routes so sniping isn't necessary or advantageous whatsoever.

Snipers need some other kind of advantage. Reduce the charge time and make them longer range.

Thatanas

There is so much salt in this thread regarding 'bad plays' or 'failed tactics', might as well throw out a reminder:

Guys, the game has been out for one (ONE) day. It is only the second game of the series, the first of which was on a piece of hardware that failed commercially. So it makes sense that alot of players who you are playing with today (the FIRST day the game is available, again) complete and total newcomers.

So give them and yourselves some slack. People will practice, MMR will come into play and people will overall get better.

There is so much salt in this thread regarding 'bad plays' or 'failed tactics', might as well throw out a reminder:

Guys, the game has been out for one (ONE) day. It is only the second game of the series, the first of which was on a piece of hardware that failed commercially. So it makes sense that alot of players who you are playing with today (the FIRST day the game is available, again) complete and total newcomers.

So give them and yourselves some slack. People will practice, MMR will come into play and people Will overall get better.

It was like this in Splatoon 1 also. Nobody using charger and just lots of roller and auto fire guns. The weapon balance is off and they haven't fixed it.

You can't have 3 weapon classes and one of them is like "oh you need to be skilled and in the right situation or otherwise it's totally free kills". That doesn't make sense.

A weapon design closer to a single shot rifle would be better than the charge up design.

Neil_J_UK

So, how do I unlock higher star gear? I'm assuming 1 star is 2 perks, 2 star is 3 perks and 3 star is 4. I've unlocked all the perks on my gear but the shop only sells side grade gear with the same amount of perks. Also, for the monthly reward for Salmon run, do I just have the rest of July to obtain it, and how exactly do you get it? It doesn't seem to be explained

correojon

It was like this in Splatoon 1 also. Nobody using charger and just lots of roller and auto fire guns. The weapon balance is off and they haven't fixed it.

You can't have 3 weapon classes and one of them is like "oh you need to be skilled and in the right situation or otherwise it's totally free kills". That doesn't make sense.

A weapon design closer to a single shot rifle would be better than the charge up design.

Yeah, less make all weapons reskins of the Splattershot. /s

Really considering changing my data plan so I can tether lol...

Nah, it's not that serious. Game is fun but I still need to be productive at work lol.

Berordn

Salmon Run starts getting absurd REALLY FAST. I love it.

Wish it had actual map rotation rather than the timed shift nonsense.

holy shit this is scrub quote city in here right now

spoilers: kills matter, dead enemies can't do anything while dead

What does a dead player in the first minute of the game miss out on? 20 seconds or so of map coverage that probably will get covered over by an enemy?

It's another issue with the design is that what happens the first few minutes of a match is almost inconsequential and gets covered over or changed in what happens at the end.

Kills matter a lot in the last minute of the game because it let's you get a leg up that the enemy team doesn't have a chance to recover. Before that it's like whatever.

Hazu

I was wondering, were people lining up in Japan for this game friday? Curious to see if they are sold out there!

What does a dead player in the first minute of the game miss out on? 20 seconds or so of map coverage that probably will get covered over by an enemy?

It's another issue with the design is that what happens the first few minutes of a match is almost inconsequential and gets covered over or changed in what happens at the end.

Kills matter a lot in the last minute of the game because it let's you get a leg up that the enemy team doesn't have a chance to recover. Before that it's like whatever.

Have you played Ranked much yet? This argument could perhaps be applicable to turf war, but definitely not a majority of Ranked modes if your team knows what's up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Only for turf war though.

So what is with the map rotation? Is there a reason they make us play the same map instead of an actual map rotation like every other game in history? Besides mobas of course.

I think you'll understand more when you've played some more matches. If you think Chargers are a useless weapon type and that laying Ink at the start of the game is pointless then you clearly haven't grasped the mechanics of Splatoon yet.

Ink is the core of Splatoon. Not every mode is about laying more Ink on the map than the opposing team but you still spray it everywhere for traversal. Splatoon is all about going in and out of Squid form and traveling to places that you wouldn't normally be able to reach. You spray Ink at the start of the battle not only to cover the map but also to quickly travel through it. It's a battle, you're constantly trying to dominate the map and having ink everywhere is not only the objective but it makes traversal smooth and quick.

Berordn

So what is with the map rotation? Is there a reason they make us play the same map instead of an actual map rotation like every other game in history? Besides mobas of course.

To ensure there's some sort of variety and to let certain weapons shine by giving you a smaller pool where they might be advantageous to use.

It's not a good reasoning, but it's the best we've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom