• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT| Squidstyler

SmithnCo

But the box on the rig down the south? Where there is nothing and no one ever is?

That can be good super fuel, though the problem arises when

They spend half the match down there, never super jump back to a closer position after doing it, or have a super that isn't worth charging over defending

Then there are the people that clearly don't get it and spend the whole match trying to get into the enemy base

Splat zones can be so annoying when a team member quits or disconnects. I had a game earlier where there was only two of us left to battle it out against four players and we somehow managed to hold out until ten seconds remained. The mode itself is really hit or miss especially since it requires a good team to really have any chance of winning consistently. I'm also having trouble finding a game, which was never a problem before.

th4tguy

Getting connection error after connection error. Can't tell if it's me or the servers. Everything else in the house internet works.

jariw

But the box on the rig down the south? Where there is nothing and no one ever is?

Ooops... :) I have been fortunate to not have such people in my teams yet.

I guess these things sorts themselves after a while. To me, it seems like Spat Zones can't be won for a team with bad players, so such players will probably never increase in ranking.

I like how you picked the one reply out of the three other ones that doesn't say, "Maybe they're just charging their special meter." ;)

But really, I had one of those rollers on my team that seemed to just be painting for painting's sake. But then he used his special, and I was like, "Oh", and then I went back to getting slaughtered.

Zomba13

I like how you picked the one reply out of the three other ones that doesn't say, "Maybe they're just charging their special meter." ;)

But really, I had one of those rollers on my team that seemed to just be painting for painting's sake. But then he used his special, and I was like, "Oh", and then I went back to getting slaughtered.

Maybe they are. Or maybe they are just bad players? Who knows. Could be either.

woopWOOP

Getting connection error after connection error. Can't tell if it's me or the servers. Everything else in the house internet works.
Same here. Can't connect to the Smash Bros (for 3DS) server either, tho I can browse on PC just fine. Hopefully things are a little better in an hour or two.

Kuro1812

Neo Member
So I was able to pick up Splatoon last Friday and have been playing over last 3 days. Been having fun and enjoying greatly. Levelled up to 15 and currently half way thru the SP campaign.

Feel free to add me, NNID : Kuro1138

Totakeke

you know what's awesome? super jumping and holding ZL so you go right into squid form when you land.

I wonder if it's possible to tell the direction the player is facing when they land from a super jump... Do they always face toward from where they jumped from?

Yeah, they're time-sensitive. Not pressure sensitive, the Wii U doesn't have analog face buttons.

Wait the longer you press them the longer it takes for you to reach your destination?

zlatko

Banned
Same here, like 8 consecutively.

I went back to playing Smash. This game's online sucks for me. I can't really play more than 5-7 games in a row before it craps out on me and I have to reset my Wii U to try at online again and it may screw up right then again after the reset.

Game needs a major online patch.

Formless

I went back to playing Smash. This game's online sucks for me. I can't really play more than 5-7 games in a row before it craps out on me and I have to reset my Wii U to try at online again and it may screw up right then again after the reset.

Game needs a major online patch.

Strangely enough I have the opposite experience.

DaBoss

Was that you, PreyingShark? I saw someone named Nathan in my Ranked Battles.

I had this hilarious 12-0 in Splat Zones where everyone would super jump to the same spot 8 times in a row or something lol.

Oh yea, I played Port Mackeral for the first time a while ago against Boney and timmbp and thought the map was okay. It feels like something you would see in a CoD game lol, except much more closed in.

phanphare

Banned
Okay, but what's the default? I'd definitely not want to stand in front of a roller when they land and I don't think most players would turn mid jump.

I'm not really sure, I'd imagine it's facing forward from where you start? I don't know, I always turn to face a certain direction and then I either go into squid form immediately if there's a lot of my color ink around or I come down shooting.

Timeaisis

Was that you, PreyingShark? I saw someone named Nathan in my Ranked Battles.

I had this hilarious 12-0 in Splat Zones where everyone would super jump to the same spot 8 times in a row or something lol.

Oh yea, I played Port Mackeral for the first time a while ago against Boney and timmbp and thought the map was okay. It feels like something you would see in a CoD game lol, except much more closed in.

It's really fun with Aerospray MG + Seekers. You can drop a seeker down an aisle and swim behind it. It's pretty neat. Also, it has the moving things you can swim up and then get on top of the platforms. It's definitely the most straightforward level, but I think it's pretty cool still.

Hellraizah

Got it yesterday and, so far, I'm really not happy with the control options. Don't like the gyro controls at all and switching to analog only, there's no southpaw option. It always makes me mad.

To be honest, I think it would play absolutely perfectly with the Wiimote+nunchuck combo. Will try it again this week, but my first impression was that this game isn't gonna stay for long in my collection.

atr0cious

Got it yesterday and, so far, I'm really not happy with the control options. Don't like the gyro controls at all and switching to analog only, there's no southpaw option. It always makes me mad.

To be honest, I think it would play absolutely perfectly with the Wiimote+nunchuck combo. Will try it again this week, but my first impression was that this game isn't gonna stay for long in my collection.

Once you get used to the motion controls, you'll understand why the Wiimote isn't an option. Being able to turn your body freely of the camera is a big plus. With a wiimote, you'd be constantly flicking the wiimote to get this effect, but with the gamepad it's as simple as turning your wrist and pushing your thumb in tangent. Also, make sure you're putting four fingers on the back buttons, not just two, the gamepad will be a bit more manageable.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to admit, after playing turf war a good span, I think the map and teammate jump system on the gamepad screen really is useful to be there rather than scrunched on the corner of the main display. A caveat is that I've never been bothered by looking at the gamepad when playing a Wii U game.

That doesn't mean I would object to the game having pro pad support - there could still be the option to leave the gamepad on and display the map there, like the Wii U Call of Duty games use it for (and it's very nice for that).

Azure J

It's really fun with Aerospray MG + Seekers. You can drop a seeker down an aisle and swim behind it. It's pretty neat. Also, it has the moving things you can swim up and then get on top of the platforms. It's definitely the most straightforward level, but I think it's pretty cool still.

So you were the one doing the same thing I was last night. :lol

Which one of you is this

194WiiUscreenshotTV0176.jpg

atr0cious

Walleye Warehouse sucks for Chargers.

tumblr_locjy0jKh31qb7f7i.gif

Any gun with a long range shot, .52, .96, Jet and Dual Squelchers, all the chargers, are monsters on any map with long alleys. You need to learn to use their full length with every shot you take, you'd be eating up ground if you do it right. I've got dance patterns in my head on how to clear out SaltsSpray by myself.

Use the recon feature and go test out strategies.

Shauni

I like Splat Zone the few times I played this mourning, but I don't understand the logic behind not giving you some BP when you lose. The whole C, B, etc ranking I understand and all, but I still have to get some stuff and level up so it's kind of waste for me if I'm not on a winning team. Do they expect you to be max level when you play it or something? I don't know why they opened it to level 10 and up then and not max.

Razmos

How is losing with only 6 second left on our timer considered a "knockout" for the enemy?

It's kind of a slap in the face for the match to be so close, only for the game to basically tell you that they dominated you and for you to get no points at all.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Welp. Definitely lost that one because we didn't paint enough of our own space...

Lol and we have a clan in this lobby....

ViviOggi

How is losing with only 6 second left on our timer considered a "knockout" for the enemy?

It's kind of a slap in the face for the match to be so close, only for the game to basically tell you that they dominated you and for you to get no points at all.
Anything that isn't overtime counts as a knockout. I see where you're coming from but does it really matter? Everyone knows that it was close. Even if a game ends in a crazy overtime finish you only get like 300 points max.

Wow my lobby timer actually ran out for ranked battle because it couldn't find 8 players. :I

I think that's more of a glitch or server side thing, than there being a lack of players. I had the timer time out on me when I had a full match in Turf Wars last night, and I've seen it time out while waiting for 1 more person. What's strange is that as soon as I was kicked, I found a match instantly.

Also, it's worth reminding, because it was overlooked. The Splatoon servers will be down for about an hour at 5:50pm to 7pm PST. Refer to this link for more information: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

Proven

Played Splat Zones for an hour last night. Was fun.

Best way to level up if your favorite weapon isn't the Aerosprsay or Jr. Assuming teams swap around fairly, you'll get 50% win rate, so at C rank that's 900 points on average. It's decent. Goes up as you get to higher letter ranks

It seems designed to have shut outs, but that just means in most matches the time to complete is the same or less than playing Turf Wars.

It's possible to carry your team, but like in Turf War it's hard. Need at least one other person with a helpful load out.

I can't wait until people realize Inkstrike isn't all that great outside of a stalling tactic. The variety of specials' effectiveness is another feature of Splat Zones for me.

Roller primary player.

Top Bottom