• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT| Squidstyler

I just saw a dude on my team focus on painting walls near our spawn point :(

we still won but damn he was so focus full wall coverage I kept shooting at his head

pringles

Ranked should be based on personal score (like in unranked) because this is dumb being held back ranking up because of shitty teammates.
That would be a bad decision which is why almost no game uses a method like that. Team success should be most important. Bad teammates are always annoying in online games but eventually you'll team up with solid people.

Violet_0

Banned
just ended a ranked game on Saltspray 8/0 while the rest of my team was 0/0. I'm becoming pretty good at camping the enemy spawn zone on this map with mines and sniper

Zing

Banned
Ranked should be based on personal score (like in unranked) because this is dumb being held back ranking up because of shitty teammates.
I know that of there was voice-chat, I could disable it. However, I thank the Nintendo gods that there is no voice chat every time I read a post like this (and there are many here). Even though I would never heard your vicious words, someone, somewhere out there would be subjected to this bullshit.

Rememeber, the people you are playing with are real people. Wives, girlfriends, children...

Shauni

You get BP if the match timer expires.

Well, that's something, but I think the losing team should get something even if the timer doesn't expire. I mean, I don't know, maybe others don't care much about unlocking stuff, but I'm not going to waste my time with playing something if it's not going to help me level up. It's not even a "git gud" thing, since no matter how good you are, you can still be on losing team since it's all randomized.

Zemm

That would be a bad decision which is why almost no game uses a method like that. Team success should be most important. Bad teammates are always annoying in online games but eventually you'll team up with solid people.

What game uses team wins/losses to determine rank? CS doesn't. You'd be rewarding the people that do the most for the team.

Ansatz

I would be ok with it if it's completely random but no the game has a built in formula to fuck with you even further if you happen to be topscorer in an attempt to even the odds.

If I'm topscorer and lost the game, I just leave the lobby.

Totakeke

Well, that's something, but I think the losing team should get something even if the timer doesn't expire. I mean, I don't know, maybe others don't care much about unlocking stuff, but I'm not going to waste my time with playing something if it's not going to help me level up. It's not even a "git gud" thing, since no matter how good you are, you can still be on losing team since it's all randomized.

If you just want to be efficient to level up you should just be efficient and play the modes you want. I don't want ranked mode to be the only mode where people end up playing anyway.

pringles

What game uses team wins/losses to determine rank? CS doesn't. You'd be rewarding the people that do the most for the team.
Halo for one (2 & 3 at least). There should be a combination of individual and team play taken into account but if it's all individual play you'll end up in shitty scenarios where no one caps zones and only cares about their K/D.

Ferrio

Banned
Splatoon Miiverse in a nutshell

Fm5D0Dd.jpg

NateDrake

Well, since you lose with no points in a knockout (you lose the match before time expires), how would BP be distributed? If time expires, you are given points based on what your team earned.

Grakl

I figure most games with an ELO system pairs players based on rank and then awards a collective gain/loss of ranking and points/money for each team. I believe LoL and Data 2 do this.

Shauni

If you just want to be efficient to level up you should just be efficient and play the modes you want. I don't want ranked mode to be the only mode where people end up playing anyway.

I guess why not both? It's not really one or the other. I like to play to have fun, of course, but I'd like to be able to unlock the weapons by leveling up, too. I don't see why it has to be clear cut one or the other.

Well, since you lose with no points in a knockout (you lose the match before time expires), how would BP be distributed? If time expires, you are given points based on what your team earned.

Could just give the losing team some base points or something. Not a lot or anything, but something. I don't see how that's a big problem, honestly. If they weren't going to give any BP to the losing side, I just wonder why they didn't just open it to max level players who it no longer matters to.

For some reason since yesterday, I've had a lot more disconnects and issues with people joining my lobby after someone drops out.

Almost had a C+ rank but my team was oblivious to all the spawn points the other team set up on the back side of saltspray rig so no one but me was finding and knocking them out. The team obliterated us because anytime we controlled the zone they didn't pay attention to the team super jumping to the jump points the other team established.

Ferrio

Banned
Do we know what the next update might be? We knew ranked was going to be the first one due to the meter stuff, what about anything else? I know august the group lobbies.

Proven

Had a nice long run of wins with some good players, then after a disconnect and map change interruption, everything fell apart.

My new team consisting of people content to never defend the base, push back the enemy or even glance at the map.

I've also given up with the roller. You need team who knows what they're doing to have the kinda Support-ish roller be any good.

Also Ive noticed that rollers cover a lot of ground but don't seem to gain much points in return. My Splattershot Jr gets me way more points for covering less ground. =/
My current theory is you get double the points for inking over enemy ink, which give the Splatter weapon types a huge advantage over the others. You pretty much need Echolocator or a lot of run speed to get to the back line and out safely.

Zemm

Halo for one (2 & 3 at least). There should be a combination of individual and team play taken into account but if it's all individual play you'll end up in shitty scenarios where no one caps zones and only cares about their K/D.

That's why I like the unranked way of scoring. You can incorporate that into ranked with a tweak or two.

I just had a crazy overtime game, then it kicked us out for the map change news item thingy :(

phanphare

Banned
Why no port mackerel yet in ranked? It's urchin underpass and arowana mall >.<

probably because it's one of the maps that requires a solid foundation learned from all the other maps. they probably want splat zones to go through the first 5 maps before throwing it into the mix.

hatchx

Banned
Just got a chance to try Port Mackeral and Splat Zones.

Port Mackeral may be one of my favorite levels. It's so big, and has a lot of corridors. The moving trucks are a neat edition too.

Splat Zones is crazy. The matches are super quick and intense. I did notice it takes longer to find 7 others in a lobby, but that may be because I was playing this morning which is kind of an odd time.

Top Bottom