• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT| Squidstyler

NateDrake

I like Splat Zone the few times I played this mourning, but I don't understand the logic behind not giving you some BP when you lose. The whole C, B, etc ranking I understand and all, but I still have to get some stuff and level up so it's kind of waste for me if I'm not on a winning team. Do they expect you to be max level when you play it or something? I don't know why they opened it to level 10 and up then and not max.

You get BP if the match timer expires.

thenexus6

I don't have a Wii U but went over to friends and was playing it today. I like the game, however I don't like using the gamepad. I feel it would be much better with the pro controller.

Ansatz

I really hope spamming the jump button while using a rapid fire weapon doesn't become the meta.

I start doing it too whenever the opponent does it haha, I imagine we look ridiculous.

02.jpg

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2015/05/18/corocoro-splatoon-manga-translated-full/

lol

MouldyK

An Inkstrike into the Saltspray Rig Zone can turn the whole area into the enemy's. O_O

Happened 4 times in a match just now, but we held it!

Totakeke

Holy hell.

00UVxF0.jpg

v25GCEG.jpg

Took about 7 hours on my day off. Ranked matches can end so quick you can move up pretty fast. I like splatzones more than turf war so I'll defiantly be playing some more.
No real incentives though other than the point/exp/money win bonus (4500+) per game and just being a fun game mode. I was hoping there was some special item or something for those who hit max rank but sadly there wasn't.

https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/387t5e/the_grind_was_real_splatzones_is_so_much_fun/

And I thought it might take a while for anyone to reach A+. I guess there's no real matchmaking issues even if you're high rank.

Busaiku

I'm done with ranked.
Takes an eternity to start a match, and bad teammates (including myself) make it too annoying.
If matches took less time to start, it'd be ok.
Time-sensitive, like others said.

That's classic Nintendo design since the original Super Mario Bros(or even Donkey Kong?). Sounds like you been away from Nintendo games for quite some time! :eek:
I just never noticed.

I really wish games had a Parent Mode where you only play against other people who can only play an hour or so a night. It's so disheartening being thrown in with people who've hardcored the game just a few days after release.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm looking forward to when we have all the equipment numbers in spreadsheet form, but in the meantime swim speed feels effective. I may take a stopwatch to the training mode later.

I really wish games had a Parent Mode where you only play against other people who can only play an hour or so a night. It's so disheartening being thrown in with people who've hardcored the game just a few days after release.
Only miis named "Dad," "Daddy," "Mom," and, "Mommy."

XaosWolf

Had a nice long run of wins with some good players, then after a disconnect and map change interruption, everything fell apart.

My new team consisting of people content to never defend the base, push back the enemy or even glance at the map.

I've also given up with the roller. You need team who knows what they're doing to have the kinda Support-ish roller be any good.

Also Ive noticed that rollers cover a lot of ground but don't seem to gain much points in return. My Splattershot Jr gets me way more points for covering less ground. =/

Mesoian

Had a nice long run of wins with some good players, then after a disconnect and map change interruption, everything fell apart.

My new team consisting of people content to never defend the base, push back the enemy or even glance at the map.

I've also given up with the roller. You need team who knows what they're doing to have the kinda Support-ish roller be any good.

Also Ive noticed that rollers cover a lot of ground but don't seem to gain much points in return. My Splattershot Jr gets me way more points for covering less ground. =/

Just wait until you get the MG.

I'm getting 1100 every game, win or lose.

I like Splat Zone the few times I played this mourning, but I don't understand the logic behind not giving you some BP when you lose. The whole C, B, etc ranking I understand and all, but I still have to get some stuff and level up so it's kind of waste for me if I'm not on a winning team. Do they expect you to be max level when you play it or something? I don't know why they opened it to level 10 and up then and not max.

Yea I'm confused by this too.

Also can you not queue up with friends? Does it have to be by yourself unlike casual games? If so, that sucks.

I'm looking forward to when we have all the equipment numbers in spreadsheet form, but in the meantime swim speed feels effective. I may take a stopwatch to the training mode later.

Only miis named "Dad," "Daddy," "Mom," and, "Mommy."

Or a playlist which can only be accessed by systems with fewer than X hours played in the activity log.

Zing

Banned
I don't have a Wii U but went over to friends and was playing it today. I like the game, however I don't like using the gamepad. I feel it would be much better with the pro controller.
Did you try it? As someone who hasn't used aiming with the right stick since Halo 1, I find that this is much, much worse without the gamepad.

I think you just aren't seeing the people who are new, poor, or children.

My nine-year-old daughter was playing for the first time yesterday and at least half the players in each of her games had scores lower than her.

Zomba13

MY own team has been sabotaging me. I was at +7 on the win streak thing, thought about quitting so spoke to judd, got the coins etc but then decided to play someone and now every match I've been getting 1000+p and everyone on my team has been sub 500 except once when a guy was just over it and been doing stupid thing like walking right past an enemy they could have rolled into no problem.

Zemm

Ranked should be based on personal score (like in unranked) because this is dumb being held back ranking up because of shitty teammates.

Zing

Banned
Apparently the pro controller doesn't work so I only played with the game pad.
I've tried it in the battle dojo and I may as well not even be playing with it, I am so bad. On the positive side, it is a handicap against me, and evens the field for my daughter.

Totakeke

I think someone getting to A+ that soon just means you can be good enough to have a significant positive effect on your team to rise up the ranks. If you're not, then you're just not good enough. :squid

Top Bottom