• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT| Squidstyler

Regiruler

So how many weapons are unlocked via single player?
5 I think, but the dynamo has a single player icon as well, so I don't know how it ties in.
Damage up as a sub is almost useless for practically every weapon, unfortunately. Needs to be a main. Even then, not too useful except for specific weapons, and having two main, or multiple sub on top of the one main, helps significantly.
Regular chargers never go over 100 until you hit full charge. The idea is that you want any sort of damage increase so you can release slightly earlier and still get a kill.

Doesn't apply to squiffer as it has too low of a damage before it reaches full.

daydream

Banned
So how much potential does everyone think there is for actual "high-level" tournaments and such?

This is definitely a very unique shooter, and it will be interesting to see how different strategies evolve for the different maps and game modes.

Although saying that, the lack of voice chat functionality will definitely be a hindrance.

the game is ripe for esports

Kouriozan

Good luck. Hope you don't have terrible team-mates like I had a hour ago. The three hundred additional points for winning helps speed up the grind.
Indeed it does, I'm halfway to level 19 right now.
It should takes about 3 hours, gonna chain random lobbies.

Vecks

So how much potential does everyone think there is for actual "high-level" tournaments and such?

This is definitely a very unique shooter, and it will be interesting to see how different strategies evolve for the different maps and game modes.

Although saying that, the lack of voice chat functionality will definitely be a hindrance.

I definitely want to see some tournaments, but nintendo will really need to add much better functionality for that to happen. I know we're going to get custom lobbies later, but we don't know much about that either. Hopefully they won't screw that up.

thefro

Squidboards is going to have an online league once matchmaking is unlocked. Most people plan on using Skype for that.

The hindrance for the tournaments in-person is that everyone needs to bring their own Wii U + TVs.

Spades

Just finished the campaign; it was all much better than I expected, and the Amiibo missions add a bit of length to it all.

The final boss was great - if a little long - and it felt good beating it.

daydream

Banned
There's no LAN play and no way of saving Inkling profiles to anything other than a Wii U. Fun as it is, it probably won't have an esport scene.

i was kidding, i think the game would not be suited for that type of "gaming" for a bunch of reasons (both technical and philosophical in nature)

Lucario

Once we can start making custom lobbies -- ones where players from opposite sides of the world won't be automatically matched up -- definitely.

There are already a lot of interesting strategies surfacing in ranked play, and it seems like the high-rank weapon metagame is evolving every day. Splatoon will be very difficult for the competitive community to solve.

Hatchtag

Banned
i was kidding, i think the game would not be suited for that type of "gaming" for a bunch of reasons (both technical and philosophical in nature)

I wouldn't be surprised if a later entry, like a handheld one or something, managed to actually have a few offline tournaments. But yeah, as it is...it just isn't going to happen lol.

Can't find the amiibo 3 pack anywhere, I picked up the girl and boy, I'll give it another week before I open them. Can't believe they didn't release the squid amiibo in a single pack.

Vena

From a technical (technique) point of view, this game would make a great competitive shooter due to all the nuances and styles of play.

That said, its very hard to actually make anything out of it because of no LAN capabilities and everyone needing WiiUs. You'd need a LOT of systems to make a tournament that could run at a reasonable rate.

That said, NoA did make the tweet with the MLG Splatoon shirt, so... lol.

Grakl

From a technical (technique) point of view, this game would make a great competitive shooter due to all the nuances and styles of play.

That said, its very hard to actually make anything out of it because of no LAN capabilities and everyone needing WiiUs. You'd need a LOT of systems to make a tournament that could run at a reasonable rate.

That said, NoA did make the tweet with the MLG Splatoon shirt, so... lol.

What if they held off LAN mode too

Vena

Not sure if this was posted already, but the Inkbrush is coming tonight at 7pm PT.

YEESSSS.

I, for one, have taken a liking to the this roll out thing because its been effectively forcing me to test/play with weapons I wouldn't have used much of if at all in the past out of sheer novelty of "new car smell".

Send help.

What if they held of LAN mode too

I don't think you can hold off a feature that the WiiU OS is incapable of doing, unless they have some sort of way of actually doing it and just never have or have never needed to use it. Also the system has no actual built in e-port, so it makes the whole thing a mess.

Neiteio

Ah, the Ink Brush... I must say, the idea of a faster roller is kind of terrifying.

EDIT: Oh wow, it comes with Sprinklers -and- Inkstrike

Vena

They'd have to make some "tie Inkling to Amiibo/3DS" mode too then. Otherwise you'd have to do standardized loadouts or have every single player bring their own Wii U to the event.

This, probably, could be done. Since the Inklings have no write data for the game, they are read only (hence why its so easy to just trade them around to unlock everything).

Hatchtag

Banned
It seems like no one ever expect the dynamo roller to one shot them with its ranged swing thingy

Dynamo roller is good but its a terrible shotgun like weapon. It's just god awful at short range (to slow of a swing and too slow of a run). And of course it's terrible at long range. At mid range though? It's a god damn beast.

Regiruler

Dynamo roller is good but its a terrible shotgun like weapon. It's just god awful at short range (to slow of a swing and too slow of a run). And of course it's terrible at long range. At mid range though? It's a god damn beast.
It's shotgun is its shtick. When rolling, it has no special qualities other than being slower.

Grakl

I don't think you can hold off a feature that the WiiU OS is incapable of doing, unless they have some sort of way of actually doing it and just never have or have never needed to use it. Also the system has no actual built in e-port, so it makes the whole thing a mess.

They'd have to make some "tie Inkling to Amiibo/3DS" mode too then. Otherwise you'd have to do standardized loadouts or have every single player bring their own Wii U to the event.

Yeah nah I wasn't serious, I wish LAN was possible

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
All the props in the world to those that can obtain an A+ ranking. I've bern stuck at A for over two days, and to sustain a streak long enough to reach A+ almost seems impossible.

Pokemaniac

YEESSSS.

I, for one, have taken a liking to the this roll out thing because its been effectively forcing me to test/play with weapons I wouldn't have used much of if at all in the past out of sheer novelty of "new car smell".

Send help.

Any OS with a half-decent networking library should be able to do LAN. Also, Ethernet to USB adapters are a thing.

Hatchtag

Banned
It's shotgun is its shtick. When rolling, it has no special qualities other than being slower.

I've always seen shotguns as good at short range, ok at midrange, terrible longrange weapon that you can surprise foes with. Dynamo roller is terrible at short range, beastly at midrange, and terrible at long range, and its slow swing makes it hard to surprise foes with it.

If we were going by Halo weapons, I'd say it has more the feel of the Energy Hammer.

Regiruler

All the props in the world to those that can obtain an A+ ranking. I've bern stuck at A for over two days, and to sustain a streak long enough to reach A+ almost seems impossible.
I was able to use a room full of bad players to climb to B, and that's the highest I've gotten.

I resent you.

Dr. Buni

Well I don't really play it, but the two or so times I picked the dynamo roller, the opponent team had no idea how to react to it. I am waiting for the brush to get into melee weapons.

MouldyK

Well, i've rested enough today. Time to boot up Splatoon for the evening so I ain't got rusty. Might try some Ranked to see if I can get to that B- again!

Lijik

playing ranked mode for the first time today and its been annoying, i dont know what it is but i keep feeling like im stuck in teams who all gang up on one zone while the other team is splitting up and getting their players in advantageous positions. im going to have to switch out of the roller because every time i wind up having to be the one to try and take out players on the other team in high areas on the skatepark just sniping on zones because no one else even bothers to go after them.

Then there was the time where i got stuck 4 on 1 because 3 dudes on my team disconnected within the first minute, so that was fun.

NoA embracing the Spongebob.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/606920368490610688

CxHaIYc.jpg

Top Bottom