• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon update Aug 6th - Team Ranked, custom game, level/ranked cap raise, new gear

JoeM86

Splatoon update is on August 6. Tag Match and Private Match to come, as well as new weapons and gear. More information is forthcoming

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/625600742347288576
CK6UjvyUsAIGvAh.png

tumblr_ns5mxyxROO1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

SAFETY NOTICE: Urchin Underpass will be undergoing important
construction work. Entry will be strictly forbidden from August 2-5.

We’re looking into what could have caused this construction notice, but word on the street is lots of new content is about to hit Inkopolis, including two new weapon types, all sorts of new gear, level cap increases and even new matchmaking options!
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/125178834324/safety-notice-urchin-underpass-will-be-undergoing

27th July, 2015 – On 6th August, a free software update for Splatoon on Wii U brings a large amount of new content to the game, including two new matchmaking modes, new weapon types, an increase to the game’s level-cap and more than 40 pieces of new gear. Players will now be able to create a winning strategy and fight to be the best and most battle tested squid-squad around.

The new update introduces Squad Battle and Private Battle matchmaking options. In Squad Battle, players can participate in Ranked Battle rule sets with friends, rather than being teamed up with other players through a random selection. After a player creates a squad, friends can be recruited to form a team of two to four Inklings. Friends will always play together on the same team and battle against other squads at random.

In Private Battle, friends can splat it up in private, customisable matches. Two to eight friends can battle together by selecting their favourite map, mode and weapons. The number of participants ranges from 1v1 to 4v4, but teams don’t have to be even: if the host chooses, he or she can select a 1v4, 1v2, or any other combination of players.

With this robust new update also comes an increased level cap in both Regular Battle and Ranked Battle modes. After downloading the software update, players will be able to reach level 50 (raised from level 20) and rank S and S+ in Ranked Battle (both higher than A+).

While Inklings around the world are enjoying and mastering the current arsenal of weapons in Splatoon, two new weapon types will be available with the update, adding a new layer of strategy to the game. The bucket-like Slosher weapons hurl ink straight ahead at an impressive range. By adjusting the angle, these new weapons can be used to splat opponents who are up high or even on the other side of a wall. With the Gatling-style Splatling, players can charge all-powerful ink. A maximum charge unleashes the full potential of this particular weapon type. In addition to the new weapons, more than 40 pieces of gear, including everything from a leather jacket to a sushi-chef costume are coming to the various in-game shops in Splatoon.

Despite its size and scope, this massive August update is not the end of the splat-tacular free content coming to Splatoon. Following this update, more content will continually roll out through the rest of the summer and into autumn, including the Rainmaker Ranked Battle mode, additional maps and new weapons. More details on these additions will be revealed in the future.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...tml?utm_medium=Nintendo+UK&utm_source=twitter

KingBroly

Banned
Tag Team match, huh? I hope it's like a 'you die, your teammate swaps in' mode and not just 2 v 2, because the former sounds more interesting.

ZeroX03

Banned
Tag Team = team matchmaking? I haven't touched the game in over a month due to the lack of it, will be glad to finally start playing again. If it's just 2v2 or tag with random partners I'll pass.

Would be nice to play around with 1v1 in private match if they let us too.

Heng

Sweet, Urchin Underpass is close to my top hated Mao due to the choke point. I wonder what they're going to do to it to fix that problem.

It didn't occur to me that it might fix the bug where you could get outside the map (not sure if this was just a rumor). I hope they try to fix the choke point at least.

Sweet, Urchin Underpass is close to my top hated Mao due to the choke point. I wonder what they're going to do to it to fix that problem.

It didn't occur to me that it might fix the bug where you could get outside the map (not sure if this was just a rumor). I hope they try to fix the choke point at least.
The choke point is clearly intentional design, not something that would be "fixed."

noshten

That was a lot earlier than I imagined. Going to start saving my money for the new clothes they hopefully release. Have they said anything about any of the Japan specific clothes being in use World Wide. Splatoon had a contest for clothes and a crossover with an anime.

The bucket sounds to me like they noticed many players just using the "shotgun" function of the rollers/brushes and deciding to make a weapon just like that.

What a wonderful birthday present, Urchin Underpass being taken off the stage rotation (I like the tower control version with the added stairs). Who knows maybe now I'll actually be able to play on Moray Towers (I don't play too much now, missed its debut, have seen it during two rotation but it never got picked).

This game just keeps on delivering.

I remember being at most mildly interested after having seen it at last year's E3 reveal, and now it's my favorite game on the WiiU by far.

ryechu

This game just keeps on delivering.

I remember being at most mildly interested after having seen it at last year's E3 reveal, and now it's my favorite game on the WiiU by far.

I downloaded the game on launch on a whim and didn't even start it up for hours. I played dota 2 and persona 4 arena and browsed the internet. I wasn't that hyped for it. Five hours after getting around to playing it, I was calling my friends over to try it out. I was lvl 20 in 5 days.

Tag match is distinct from private match? It's going to come before Rainmaker? What's going on?

Maybe another non-rank mode other than turf war?

Heng

The choke point is clearly intentional design, not something that would be "fixed."
Hmm fixed is probably not the word I was looking for. Maybe reduce how severe it is? Camp Triggerfish has a pretty bad choke point too, but it's not as bad due to billboards being in between the two sides. Maybe we'll see the same type of thing happen in Underpass but who knows. I can't wait to see what they do to it.

mclem

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/625601790214430720
CK6VgvuUAAAyzqg.jpg

Looks like maintenance on August 3rd through 5th. My Japanese sucks so I'm not sure which modes will be down

From StreetsAhead

If we take the red ink as accurate and not just decorative (and the fact that it's symmetrical suggests that it might well be accurate), it looks like they're:

Removing the tree from the starting plaza
Widening and extending the corridor to the balcony
Adding something - bridges, maybe, where the section is that I sometimes jump over in squid form? - around the middle channel.
Slightly widening the main entrance to the central area

The screenshot suggests that there's a wall somewhere that they're raising, too, to prevent people jumping over it (or to allow cover?), but I'm not sure where it is. Perhaps the one immediately in front of the spawn zone?

Neoxon

Finally! I wonder if we're gonna get any specifics on the new stages that are coming in the update (& hopefully more music).

So does the tag team option mean you will be able to play Ranked battle in teams with your friends or what...?
I mean there is this option to join friends in Standard Battles but I pretty much stopped playing them.

noshten

So does the tag team option mean you will be able to play Ranked battle in teams with your friends or what...?
I mean there is this option to join friends in Standard Battles but I pretty much stopped playing them.

Two modes:
Tag Match - team match making probably ranked with 4 people teaming up against other teams
Lobbies for Friends - up to 8 players random teams choose modes/maps etc

Tripy73

Tag match is distinct from private match? It's going to come before Rainmaker? What's going on?

Maybe another non-rank mode other than turf war?

It is can be a special mode to create a team of 4 players and looking for an other team of 4 players to make a match classified perfectly for practice before eSport competitions :)

Two modes:
Tag Match - team match making probably ranked with 4 people teaming up against other teams

Hmm, not sure how I would feel about that. On one hand I am often frustrated ending up with what I feel are shitty players on Ranked Battle (although others have probably often felt the same way about me ;-)) but on the other hand mixing teams up should at least ensure some level of fairness.

It is can be a special mode to create a team of 4 players and looking for an other team of 4 players to make a match classified perfectly for practice before eSport competitions :)

Seems like it, I hope Nintendo DOESNT do the Smash Update on the same date, cause it will kill the userbases I guess...Smash Update has to be late August now, I guess...

Two modes:

Yeah. Now I remember during that Direct before release they talked about custom matches as well as an option for teams of four to be match up against other teams. That's definitely tag battle. Though tag is a bad descriptor. Should have had tornado before tag.

KingBroly

Banned
It looks like they're making the side alleys a bit L-shaped as well as adding a corner at both choke points...and maybe making those pipes go into the ground instead of hanging overhead.

mclem

Curious how wide the side alley overlook is now. I'm not sure if I'm reading the map wrong, but it could be taking up pretty much the entire wall. Would be very interesting if it's possible to jump from there to the other entrance to the plaza.

Top Bottom