• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

scitek

It's way too linear, the level layout is boring. and the final "boss"
a.k.a. QTEs
glitched on me so many times I had to restart the game to be able to beat it.

EDIT: I should say, the QTEs didn't glitch, but the part before them did.

EDIT2: Also, having to skip "Go for Denver!" 3 times, followed by two cutscenes, a loading screen, and then ANOTHER brief cutscene before starting it again is fucking annoying.

Sojgat

It's way too linear, the level layout is boring. and the final "boss"
a.k.a. QTEs
glitched on me so many times I had to restart the game to be able to beat it.

Agree with the boss fight QTEs. I actually threw/dropped my controller in disgust the first time I
failed to grab the knife right at the end
, which is rare for me. Loved the level itself though, it was one of my favourites. It probably is a bit more guided than some of the others, but the objective areas are all fairly large. Reminded me of good SC1 levels.

scitek

Agree with the boss fight QTEs. I actually threw/dropped my controller in disgust the first time I
, which is rare for me. Loved the level itself though, it was one of my favourites. It probably is a bit more guided than some of the others, but the objective areas are all fairly large. Reminded me of good SC1 levels.

I'm replaying it now to see if I feel any differently knowing the layout. I really like the game overall, but this last level and I didn't get along. It was really buggy, too. Like one time when I was pulling myself up into a vent after dodging all the lasers perfectly, Sam pulled himself up right into the wall and got stuck. I had to redo the whole section again.

mr stroke

aaaaannnd there goes my 8 hours of game time. Uplay auto updated and it wiped my save :(

Uninstalling this turd. Never again Uplay.

Is there an outcry about the misleading "Classic" mode? I bought the game just to play what I thought would be an updated version of Pandora Tomorrow's SvM. Instead I got a watered-down version that took out everything that made it unique and fun (gadgets, nooks and crannies, multiple paths, tense gameplay). The single player was good, but it doesn't make up for the disappointing multiplayer.

Shouldn't there be a huge internet backlash against the false information that this was a return to the old SvM MP? Hopefully the game's poor sales let Ubisoft know that this is not the way to sell more copies. If this game had the old SvM, word of mouth would have spread and I'm sure sales would be much better.

The Stealth Fox

Is there an outcry about the misleading "Classic" mode? I bought the game just to play what I thought would be an updated version of Pandora Tomorrow's SvM. Instead I got a watered-down version that took out everything that made it unique and fun (gadgets, nooks and crannies, multiple paths, tense gameplay). The single player was good, but it doesn't make up for the disappointing multiplayer.

Shouldn't there be a huge internet backlash against the false information that this was a return to the old SvM MP? Hopefully the game's poor sales let Ubisoft know that this is not the way to sell more copies. If this game had the old SvM, word of mouth would have spread and I'm sure sales would be much better.

The new SvM is definitely tense (and it still has a classic flavor to it), has a lot of alternate routes, and is equally strategic. It's just been revised and is even more objective focused now. The only thing I agree with is the gadgets, but to be honest, stuff like cloak and alarm snares were pretty useless overall. All the best players pretty much used only smoke/chaff/flash grenades and sticky cams.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
aaaaannnd there goes my 8 hours of game time. Uplay auto updated and it wiped my save :(

If saves can be used between different Uplay accounts, I'd give you mine.

I found some of the button prompts difficult to see when using keyboard and mouse controls. In that part in particular I didn't even notice the QTE and just died without knowing what I was meant to do. Then on my second go I failed again because the prompt is there for what felt like a quarter of a second before disappearing.

I liked that level overall but the boss encounter was pretty poor.

nashb81

Neo Member

The same thing happened to me. I searched on the problem a bit and the solution posted on the Blacklist community worked for me. Pasting it here in case anyone else faces such an issue.

Go here - C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\59c68331-f37f-49ff-8ee2-e51a5d0641a4 and then "Copy the contents of (folder) 91 to 449 and you will get your saves back."

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/app/235600/discussions/0/846964363928983008/#p5

Bittercup

Finished the game and I like it very much :) Great stealth game.

But I'm not so happy about the characters. The voices are fine although I don't think it was worth it to replace Sam's and Grim's original voices for the facial animation.
I was more disappointed by the writing of the dialogues. Splinter Cell always managed to have a nice balance between being serious and funny dialogues between Sam and Grim. For example from Chaos Theory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0902iSlnw0#t=3m38
Completely missing in Blacklist :/

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't work out this game's scoring system. I'm trying to finish the missions in the different play styles and it won't give me panther on the hideout map.

I've been through it several times now making sure I only get stealth kills, never being seen and when it ends I get 0 for ghost and 0 for assault but it doesn't quite fill up panther. I don't know what I could do different.

It also won't give me the "never be seen" thing in Iran even though I have a perfectionist ghost rating.

I think I'm just gonna give up. I had fun with the game but the bugs are annoying and GTA is out soon.

Lima

I still can't work out this game's scoring system. I'm trying to finish the missions in the different play styles and it won't give me panther on the hideout map.

I've been through it several times now making sure I only get stealth kills, never being seen and when it ends I get 0 for ghost and 0 for assault but it doesn't quite fill up panther. I don't know what I could do different.

It also won't give me the "never be seen" thing in Iran even though I have a perfectionist ghost rating.

I think I'm just gonna give up. I had fun with the game but the bugs are annoying and GTA is out soon.

Make sure to take out large groups of guys together.

It is kinda like a combo system. You get X amount of points for a single kill and bonus points for every kill after that you string together as long as the point counter is still up.

mr stroke

I assume this is a PC only issue?
AFAIK, yes

I googled the same problem I had and tons of hits on the Ubi forums. Sucks too as the game was decent and I was almost done :(

Had problems with SC Chaos, AC3, Far Cry 3, and now Blacklist, Uplay is a sin against mankind. Makes Origin and Games for Windows look awesome.

Finished the game and I like it very much :) Great stealth game.

But I'm not so happy about the characters. The voices are fine although I don't think it was worth it to replace Sam's and Grim's original voices for the facial animation.
I was more disappointed by the writing of the dialogues. Splinter Cell always managed to have a nice balance between being serious and funny dialogues between Sam and Grim. For example from Chaos Theory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0902iSlnw0#t=3m38
Completely missing in Blacklist :/

I know, Sam is way too serious in this one. He almost always comes across as just a dick but at least the other characters acknowledge that.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Been playing the fuck out of this the last few days. Really enjoying it. It's like Conviction but better. Wish I had someone to play co-op with - I cannt play any of the Briggs missions :<.

Not even tried online yet. Only a couple missions into the SP (just done Consumption) but just finished Grim's missions. I can tell I'm going to get a FUCKLOAD of playtime out of this. Played it solidly for 2 days and im not that far in, and then there's replays etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ah, can't help you with co-op there. If you aren't playing Perfectionist, I suggest you start just so you can style all over people in co-op. PC people were/are impressed with my chain takedowns on Brigg's missions on Perfectionist and it's like "dude, it's not that hard..."

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Going through on Realistic for my first run. Not using M&E or killing anyone. Total ghost, so no spots and as few takedowns as possible (preferably none). Really stretching things out and is very satisfying.

I remember when playing the CT co-op I basically used to solo it and tell people to just sit around until I needed them for co-op stuff luls.

cackhyena

CHEEZMO™;81874985 said:
Going through on Realistic for my first run. Not using M&E or killing anyone. Total ghost, so no spots and as few takedowns as possible (preferably none). Really stretching things out and is very satisfying.

I remember when playing the CT co-op I basically used to solo it and tell people to just sit around until I needed them for co-op stuff luls.
Sounds like a perfect reason to bail on you in a heartbeat.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
W68Ii.png

Jharp

So I've put 23 hours into this game and only beat the first three campaign missions, the first two solo/co-op missions, and the first two co-op only missions.

I've spent all my time perfecting certain of those missions, and I've managed to beat the first two solo/co-op missions without engaging a single guard, nabbing the gold ghost rating on Perfectionist. I've managed to get gold ghost on perfectionist on the first three campaign missions as well, but I've only been able to beat the second mission (Iraq) without knocking out guards. On the first mission (Benghazi), you have to attack the guards in both interrogation rooms, and the rooftops are damn near impossible if you don't take out two or three guards. On the third mission (Chicago), I'm nearly certain you can get both of the water pumps at the end without knocking out guards, but fucked if I can actually do it. Maybe if they didn't throw a time limit at you, I could.

Anyways, I've been having so much fun perfecting these runs, that I decided to fraps them and upload them to youtube as a guide or lets play or whatever. Pretty fun afternoon figuring out how to record, edit, and upload videos when i've literally never done it before. I wish I could upload high-quality videos to youtube, but I had to compress the shit out of them to get the upload time below several hours, and youtube compressed them further, so bleh. Either way, here's the first 4E mission, if anyone's interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92W9Yy2xyRg

Lima

The only thing I have left are the co-op missions and co-op collectibles then I have 1000G's and I'm ready for GTA V :)

You on Eggsbox? We could play tonight if you want. I already completed all of them on professional so I know my way around them. I need something to do to stop thinking about GTA.

Nokterian

Ah, can't help you with co-op there. If you aren't playing Perfectionist, I suggest you start just so you can style all over people in co-op. PC people were/are impressed with my chain takedowns on Brigg's missions on Perfectionist and it's like "dude, it's not that hard..."

Your on PC? Let's do some co-op! Add me to the wonderfull world of Uplay : Ozgiliath

Ok...

So, Big time splinter cell fan here....chaos theory being the best obviously.

I didn't HATE conviction like everyone else, but I also acknowledge it was nowhere near the level of chaos theory and was still a dissapointment....

With that said...I was cautious when approaching blacklist, in fact, I didn't buy it at lauch like all the other splinter cell games, and I didn't read reviews, etc. Purchased it out of boredom to be honest.

Thankfully I did, because this game....THIS GAME. it's so good. The range of options you are given for tackling different areas are so GOOD. The fact they give you 3 different ways of tackling the game is great for the newbies to the game but so so so satisfying for us old school splinter cell players who want that "Ghost" experience (As the new game calls it). I have tackled areas in many different ways trying to get "ghost" and then after successfully completing an area, I would run around the area seeing other things I could have done, or other routes I could have taken and thinking man, there are just SO many options. You are given WAY more options than in Chaos Theory (As that should be the case being that this game is a new game).

Dogs: yea, I hate the dogs too, but I realized the best counter for dogs is noisemaker and stun gun. easy. but the dogs bring another dynamic to the game, which keeps the game a bit more balanced.

My only negative to this game (which originally have been dogs but now I am actually OK with them). is the forced Action sequences. Theres like 3 or 4 small Forced action sequence parts.....And I just feel they shouldn't be in the game, but whatever, I'll take the little bit of bad with ALL of the good.....WITH THAT SAID..you can still ghost most of them which is actually pretty cool and makes those sequences more difficult, which is fun.

Oh, small gripe, the obvious mass effect rip off is kinda corny, but whatever, thats not the game.

overall tho, this game is awesome. Love it.

On PS3 here: Is anyone else having issues online where other players aren't showing up, but appear to be playing independent from your game session?

Example: I can't hack terminal A because it says that A is initializing. Nobody is present on my team that I can see.

Other times, I can't see kills happening but they show up in the scoreboard. Those same people getting the kills are people I can't see in-game at all.

I didn't have these problems around launch. I spent a week off to couch co-op a different game but now Blacklist is straight up unplayable.

cackhyena

So I've put 23 hours into this game and only beat the first three campaign missions, the first two solo/co-op missions, and the first two co-op only missions.

I've spent all my time perfecting certain of those missions, and I've managed to beat the first two solo/co-op missions without engaging a single guard, nabbing the gold ghost rating on Perfectionist. I've managed to get gold ghost on perfectionist on the first three campaign missions as well, but I've only been able to beat the second mission (Iraq) without knocking out guards. On the first mission (Benghazi), you have to attack the guards in both interrogation rooms, and the rooftops are damn near impossible if you don't take out two or three guards. On the third mission (Chicago), I'm nearly certain you can get both of the water pumps at the end without knocking out guards, but fucked if I can actually do it. Maybe if they didn't throw a time limit at you, I could.

Anyways, I've been having so much fun perfecting these runs, that I decided to fraps them and upload them to youtube as a guide or lets play or whatever. Pretty fun afternoon figuring out how to record, edit, and upload videos when i've literally never done it before. I wish I could upload high-quality videos to youtube, but I had to compress the shit out of them to get the upload time below several hours, and youtube compressed them further, so bleh. Either way, here's the first 4E mission, if anyone's interested:
Nicely done.

Alpende

You on Eggsbox? We could play tonight if you want. I already completed all of them on professional so I know my way around them. I need something to do to stop thinking about GTA.

Yeah, I am. My GT is The Dutch Pinyo. I am from Europe so if you're from the US or something time could be an issue.

EDIT

I just got 1000G's. Thanks for offering anyway!

HT UK

Ugh. Only got one 4E mission left to complete, and it's the last Briggs one.

First time I played it, got to the end and it glitched so we couldn't complete it.

Tried again today, and got to virtually the end, then my 'partner' started chucking grenades at me and quit the game :/

I just wish I could play this with an AI partner, or have local co-op on PC (I think the consoles have it)

If anyone wants to do the last Briggs mission in co-op on Realistic, add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/ID/HTUK

Nokterian

Ugh. Only got one 4E mission left to complete, and it's the last Briggs one.

First time I played it, got to the end and it glitched so we couldn't complete it.

Tried again today, and got to virtually the end, then my 'partner' started chucking grenades at me and quit the game :/

I just wish I could play this with an AI partner, or have local co-op on PC (I think the consoles have it)

If anyone wants to do the last Briggs mission in co-op on Realistic, add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/ID/HTUK

You need to add them to Uplay ;)

Funny OT. Really great job.

But are people really cautious/skeptical/disappointed?

I thought this was supposed to be more in line with Chaos Theory as opposed to Conviction?

I want a good stealth game.

And wth is with this exclusive co-op map crap?

Will they at least be available for download?

I want this mostly for the co-op and SP, but the OT makes me confused :/

It's a very guided stealth game. The three (panther, ghost, whatever) are the only ways that you have mission replayability. Panther is a joke in that being able to kill really makes stealth easy. But side missions are good and the game is speckled w/ collectibles for upgrades that make customization and lvling/upgrading a pretty rewarding experience.

But it's not a great pure stealth game. Stealth takedown animatios from cover are all pretty similar. The game is not clear in explaining its various, non-intuitive elements of its core gameplay. Still feels unrealistic (sniper scanning the area should be able to see me pull his ground floor patrol even if his laser is not directly on me//the stall shadow won't conceal Sam Fischer in full stealth gear b/c it's 1pm in the afternoon, right outside of an African diamond mine).

SvM is great. But honestly haven't been able to play much. I can tell that the servers aren't crowded though. The training grounds lobbies have been real empty..

original.jpg

There's not a lot of us left that were on PS2 Online playing SvM..

And from what I've played it's not too bad. Definitely annoyed by the CoD style lvling, classing but w/e. We're all a part of the system now

kurbaan

Banned
Question for everyone trying to decide if I should get WIIU or PS3 version. Target has that buy 2 get 1 free for WII U games and I'd rather get this version but how is the online on the WII U?

If the community is dead and the game has issues i'll stick with PS3.

Dereck

The solo campaign is very good besides the dumb helicopter shooting segments.

Spies Vs Mercs Classic never gets old.

Co-op campaign is good at some aspects and bad at others, with that said I keep coming back to it.

Xellos

Question for everyone trying to decide if I should get WIIU or PS3 version. Target has that buy 2 get 1 free for WII U games and I'd rather get this version but how is the online on the WII U?

If the community is dead and the game has issues i'll stick with PS3.

Wii U is fine for single player, but stick with PS3 if multiplayer is important to you. Wii U version sold very poorly, so the community can't be large. PS3 also features local multiplayer, which Wii U lacks.

Dereck

You did the entire Hawkins Seafort without engaging enemies? This should be good, I think I played this mission about 30 times in co-op before I did it one time without getting caught.

Scrabble

As a long time fan, with Chaos Theory being my favorite, I'm not seeing all the praise this seems to be getting, especially from old fans. I really feel like stealth was compromised to facilitate so many different play styles and it ends up failing at both. None of the levels I've played feel as nuanced or open as many in Chaos Theory, and the overall design feels much more about trial and error. Getting ghost in those grim missions is a fucking nightmare, and by the time you do it all you feel that you've accomplished is how to exploit the a.i. from knowing their exact behaviors, I just felt like a schmuck for wasting my time. I also feel like the game is just way too fast paced, perhaps I should just abandon stealth and go panther?

Also I really hate pretty much everything they did to the overall tone to the game. Sam's voice is about as generic as it could possibly be and I want to punch him in the face every time he talks. I miss the back and forth between Sam and Lambert and this game takes its self way too fucking seriously, and all the humor and soul of the early games has all been evaporated and turned into this soulless generic mush, and the soundtrack is awful, which is a shame because Chaos Theory has one of the most memorable soundtracks in a game. Also visually the game looks pretty bad, even maxed out on my pc it just doesn't look very good at all. It's pretty sad when parts of Chaos Theory look better than this. And everyone's faces really creep me the fuck out in this. I mean what the fuck is with Charlies's face? Or Grimm's?

The Stealth Fox

Looking back, I think chaos theory was a bit overrated. It is the best Splinter Cell game because you can get away with lethality and isn't too trial and errorish, but outside of the Bank and maybe Hokkaido, chaos theory wasn't very sandboxy and didn't really allow for alternate routes all that much.

People remember CT's highs, but not its lows. Displace and the Ship weren't that great.

CT Co-op was amazing because you could do the tomo-nage in tons of places and have a lot of different results. Blacklist's co-op is incredible too.

Top Bottom