• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

hatchx

Banned
seeing as this game is $40 on amazon, i'm curious if anyone thinks if its worth it for the Wii U version. i've heard that there are some online issues that can be fixed by changing some settings on your router. Unfortunately, i am using my Campus Wifi so i cant change any settings on it.

I'd skip it. I did. It'd have to be 19.99 for me to pick up this filth. Even if the game is good, I can't support a broken product and one skimped on features.

UrbanRats

Unfortunately i never played CT, but i think it's several orders of magnitude better than Conviction, especially regarding Stealth.
Much less linear level design and more option to your disposal.

It's still fairly fast paced and forgiving, but you can raise the difficulty and have things be tougher if you so desire.

Hmm, that's a bit of a bummer. Is the stealth at all like that in pre Conviction titles?
Its way, way, way better than Conviction. The stealth, the movement, the player choice and yeah, even the combat. Its neither Chaos Theory or Conviction really, as its larger in scope and presents far more opportunities than both, but it can easily stand alongside Chaos Theory for quality.

Its also one of my favorite games this year, for the single player and co-op. Never tried the competitive, nor am I ever planning to. So yeah, I'd say go for it if you're a Splinter Cell fan.

Grief.exe

Unfortunately i never played CT, but i think it's several orders of magnitude better than Conviction, especially regarding Stealth.
Much less linear level design and more option to your disposal.

It's still fairly fast paced and forgiving, but you can raise the difficulty and have things be tougher if you so desire.

Get out and go play CT

carygrant.gif

AHA-Lambda

Its way, way, way better than Conviction. The stealth, the movement, the player choice and yeah, even the combat. Its neither Chaos Theory or Conviction really, as its larger in scope and presents far more opportunities than both, but it can easily stand alongside Chaos Theory for quality.

Its also one of my favorite games this year, for the single player and co-op. Never tried the competitive, nor am I ever planning to. So yeah, I'd say go for it if you're a Splinter Cell fan.

Damn, k I may have to get this on a steam sale.

Xrenity

Hmm, that's a bit of a bummer. Is the stealth at all like that in pre Conviction titles?
I thought the stealth was better than in Conviction, but it's nothing like Chaos Theory really. You can already tell by the fact that you can't really walk slowly like in CT.

This is more 'fast stealth'. It's fun for a while though :)

Thanks.

So it's essentially its own game but with cues from past titles? That sounds pretty great to be honest. Think I'll pull the trigger. I'm a huge SC fan but Conviction really soured me on the series.

I thought the stealth was better than in Conviction, but it's nothing like Chaos Theory really. You can already tell by the fact that you can't really walk slowly like in CT.

This is more 'fast stealth'. It's fun for a while though :)

If it's better than Conviction, that's a huge plus in my book. Sounds like it could be a semi worthy successor to Double Agent. A true sequel to CT will likely never happen, but if the series is slowly moving back in that direction of actual stealth and not the godawful garbage we got in Conviction, I literally couldn't be happier.

Sojgat

My mouse is hovering the order button on Amazon, I just need to know one thing.

I've heard that it's a lot like Chaos Theory in some respects, can anyone confirm if they've felt it's like CT or does it feel more simplified and closer to Conviction with regard to stealth and how each encounter is designed.

Blacklist feels a lot closer to Chaos Theory and the original Splinter Cell than any other game this generation. If you can overlook the handful of short, forced action moments and the lack of Ironside, you should really enjoy it.

There's no interrogating enemies (outside of cutscenes), and no lockpicking or door codes. However, the dedicated distraction button has returned, you can move bodies, the old gadgets are back, and most areas can be ghosted without resorting to any combat at all.

It's not like Conviction, where nearly every area was designed to be cleared of enemies before you could proceed. Although playing "Panther" style is still an option, there's more to it than there was in Conviction. A full assault approach is also possible, but amazingly doesn't compromise the design of the game from a stealth point of view, as you can still complete the entire game without killing anyone
(as Sam)

Playing on the realistic difficulty is what people seeking the traditional Splinter Cell experience should do; the sonar function of the goggles is removed, and so is the mark and execute mechanic (though you can still tag up to 3 enemies with it, to keep track of them).

Can't recommend this game enough, I loved it. This is coming from somebody who thinks Conviction was mainly garbage.

More like Conviction imo.

It can be, if you choose play it that way, but even then the level design is far more open and encounters more varied than in Conviction. There are just more enemy types, and many wear helmets that make mark and execute far less powerful than it was previously.

Pooya

I hope they release some new maps :| preferably coop maps.
The games I actually want DLC for rarely get anything.

Sojgat

I hope they release some new maps :| preferably coop maps.
The games I actually want DLC for rarely get anything.

Near launch I remember reading that Ubisoft Toronto was currently working on additional content for the game. Hopefully the low sales won't lead to Ubi cancelling everything.

Blacklist feels a lot closer to Chaos Theory and the original Splinter Cell than any other game this generation. If you can overlook the handful of short, forced action moments and the lack of Ironside, you should really enjoy it.

There's no interrogating enemies (outside of cutscenes), and no lockpicking or door codes. However, the dedicated distraction button has returned, you can move bodies, the old gadgets are back, and most areas can be ghosted without resorting to any combat at all.

It's not like Conviction, where nearly every area was designed to be cleared of enemies before you could proceed. Although playing "Panther" style is still an option, there's more to it than there was in Conviction. A full assault approach is also possible, but amazingly doesn't compromise the design of the game from a stealth point of view, as you can still complete the entire game without killing anyone
(as Sam)

Playing on the realistic difficulty is what people seeking the traditional Splinter Cell experience should do; the sonar function of the goggles is removed, and so is the mark and execute mechanic (though you can still tag up to 3 enemies with it, to keep track of them).

Can't recommend this game enough, I loved it. This is coming from somebody who thinks Conviction was mainly garbage.

It can be, if you choose play it that way, but even then the level design is far more open and encounters more varied than in Conviction. There are just more enemy types, and many wear helmets that make mark and execute far less powerful than it was previously.

Okay, I'm sold. Just ordered the 360 version, even though I can ill afford to add yet another game to my backlog, I think I can make time for this...

Finally got around to beating the main campaign tonight. I enjoyed it for the most part, and it sucks that the generally bad buzz leading up to the game probably pushed people away, when it's actually a really strong Splinter Cell entry.

My only regret was picking it up on the Wii U. The load times are just so atrocious and really put me off starting a new game. If I wasn't continuing from a checkpoint, it would take over a minute to load the Paladin and then over a minute to load the mission. Add that with the time from launching the game and it could take up to 5 minutes just to really start playing most of the time. It's not a bad port otherwise (not sure if the online connection issues are still happening), but that really hurt the game for me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've been enjoying this game, but I'm looking for people who would like to do some co-op missions together. If anyone still plays this add me on XBL: Dance Inferno.

As far as the stealth qualities of the game, I'm only two missions in but I already love the stealth aspects of the game, and while I'm playing Panther style right now I intend to go back and beat the game on Realistic with Ghost style once I'm done.

Sober

How low were they?
In another thread someone said 300k, which seems low, granted I think SC has kinda fallen out of tentpole status for a while, which I kinda expected, but 300k is questionably low. It could have a long tail on something like Steam over time though, through word of mouth, but that's about it I think.

Although I did read news that a next-gen version was already in pre-production or something even before Blacklist released. Dunno if it's going anywhere right now though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huge patch just dropped on Steam. 1.4 geebees. Patch notes here

On PC:

-Split of "Use" and "Attack" actions

niiiice.

But is Brigg's mission 4 fixed?

I keep asking this and no one has given a response. I'll replay the game when I know getting to the end of that mission isn't broke.

Xanathus

Huge patch just dropped on Steam. 1.4 geebees. Patch notes here

On PC:

-Split of "Use" and "Attack" actions

niiiice.

The patch is only 444 MiB via Uplay, maybe it just modifies 1.4 GiB worth of files which I think is what Steam actually shows in the download. Anyway looks like SvM-wise it mixes up spawn points and prevents spawn-killing with drones and "Team assignment balancing".

Stantron

It would be nice if the leader boards were broken up for the three ghost/panther/assault play styles. Or at least an option to filter them. The ghost play style gives the most points, so it's always on top, but I'm curious how my panther style compares with others.

PusherT

a real shame Ubisoft is not supporting us Wii u users better with this game. The online patch is still not available so hard to find online matches.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So I want to get this, and I would prefer it on the Wii U. However, knowing how thirdparties in general treat Nintendo, did Ubisoft do anything stupid with this port? Is there a definitite console-version of the game? What are the differences?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I want to get this, and I would prefer it on the Wii U. However, knowing how thirdparties in general treat Nintendo, did Ubisoft do anything stupid with this port? Is there a definitite console-version of the game? What are the differences?

Pros:
Nice gamepad implementation
No tear up
Offscreen playing (and looks good)

Cons
Broken online that Ubisoft patched just partially
Big loading times (from starting the game to actually playing almost 2 minutes)
Some framerate drops in cutscenes

If you want to play it single player it runs nice once you pass the loading screens. You can play some EU during that. :p

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Pros:
No tear up

Cons

If you want to play it single player it runs nice once you pass the loading screens. You can play some EU during that. :p

Haha, yeah I dont care about the multiplayer much, however I have heard that the spies vs mercs or whatever its called is surprisingly decent, so I guess it would be fun to check it out, but whatever. Probably getting the Wii U-version anyways then as it will be interesting to see the gamepad implementation (and use offscreen play in my bed). Oh, and as you said, its always nice with some EU4 during cutscenes and loading screens:)

danielcw

On top of what KingSnake listed, the WiiU version is also lacking local Co-Op, as is the PC version.
Really big missed opportunity, imho.

Also see this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-splinter-cell-blacklist-face-off

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Curious. Can the local co-op it be done solo if one desired? Or will it not let you play without two people?

You can play all the co-op missions solo if you so desire, with the exception of the Briggs missions. I've found that they're not really all that fun solo though, and they seem to be made for co-op. If you're playing on 360 and are looking for a co-op partner send me a friend request on XBL, I'm looking for someone to play through these missions with.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kvikmyndahús;85952194 said:
An excellent writeup of game mechanic differences between CT and BL here:

http://depthoffield1.wordpress.com/...theory-2005-and-splinter-cell-blacklist-2013/

If you fail, your options are either restart from the checkpoint and waste another 20 or so minutes, or abandon stealth. I tried to play through Blacklist without ever being detected. But after being forced back to a checkpoint after the last of 10 enemies spotted me for the eighteenth time, I abandoned hopes of a stealthy approach and Blacklist became another cover based shooter.

No offense, but outside of forced-action moments: What? I played the game undetected 80% of the time. The 20% being 10% forced action and 10% being tired of an area like him. HOWEVER to say it's impossible to do after saying "there's obvious stealth routes" is a little... "what?"

http://depthoffield1.wordpress.com/...theory-2005-and-splinter-cell-blacklist-2013/
But even more nuance is lost with Blacklist’s cover system. When you are in cover you may as well be invisible.You can be crouched behind a waist high wall and the entire room can spot you, but as soon as you lean against the wall, you become a ghost
What? I ran into the opposite of this problem. Being spotted when I was still in cover and shadows. Even then though, being spotted seemed intuitively correct.

And moving from shadow to shadow is now something to hold against a game? I don't remember following strict "shadow paths", but I kept mindful of shadows, line-of-sight breaking cover and guard movements and sight-lines, like you would in any stealth game.

Yeah, lets just say I disagree with all of it, except for pointing out that there's no sound meter, fewer movement speeds and you can't quicksave whenever you want. Thats all true, and streamlines some of the game's aspects.

Sober

Nostalgia goggles much?

Haha what AI is dumber in Blacklist? You mean the guards that if they get a whiff of you will almost never revert back to neutral stances or work together to look for you where as CT, as good as it was had pretty dumb AI to be fair.

I don't think he paid much attention with visibility because 1) guards can see you in the dark if you are too close with none of that "hug cover, let them walk right by you" AI that was in CT and 2) he does not notice the subtleties in the the detection arc (or even the obvious parts like how fast/slow it fills up). Also I don't know if he realized but the game plays as almost the same as previous games but makes the visibility of reading it easier than previous games. Perhaps notice the lack of needing NVGs on the whole time during the game (whereas in most of the situations you get placed in you probably do).

Let's see, does not talk or compare about the gadgets and their applications in stealth (i.e. the entire basis of Splinter Cell)? Stealth is linear because a tutorial message tells you to stay in the shadows, and therefore he suddenly notices there are shadows in the levels? Hah. All Splinter Cell games are dreadfully guilty of having "shadow paths", let's be honest here.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is the MP any good? I'd like to play this but if the MP is bad I'd rather wait for a sale.

I played one match of the Spies vs. Mercs this weekend and it was a clusterfuck of Mercs constantly murdering Spies. I feel like there is a massive gear barrier between newcomers and veterans, and I just do not have the patience to work my way through that.

The co-op is legitimately fun though, with pretty long and intricate levels.

ironcreed

Banned
Finally hopped back into this and find that the level design is pretty darn good for the most part. Finding the right path to ghost is really satisfying after failing a few times. I'm really enjoying this game.

Zarovitch

Pros:
No tear up

Cons

Can we chat on the WiiU version?
If yes, do i need an headset or this work with the gamepad like Monster Hunter?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME WITH THIS FUCKING BULLSHIT UBI?!!

What in the FUCK were they thinking with this fucking BULLSHIT
Iran
mission? I'm minding my business then all of a sudden I'm thrown into a fucking bullshit ambush where there is no fucking way to get through this thing stealthily. I just died 5 times in a row trying to ghost this section and I got spotted and killed every single fucking time.

I had to pull out my assault rifle eventually and just murder everyone, which is NOT how I wanted to approach that situation. Fucking bullshit.

Edit: Just beat the level. I'll say it again:

FUCK

THIS

LEVEL

There is no way to ghost this level without some SERIOUS trial and error. That is the number 1 sign that this is a shitty fucking stealth level.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the
Philly
level.

Come on Ubi, what the fuck is wrong with you? You create an amazing stealth game with great mechanics and levels that have multiple paths, and then as soon as I get to the second half of the game you throw shitty linear levels at me which are engagement-heavy and require me more often than not to "neutralize all hostiles." And neutralizing them isn't easy when your TPS mechanics are complete and utter shit.

For fuck's sake. Way to take a game that I was thoroughly enjoying and completely screw it up.

danielcw

What in the FUCK were they thinking with this fucking BULLSHIT
Iran
mission? I'm minding my business then all of a sudden I'm thrown into a fucking bullshit ambush where there is no fucking way to get through this thing stealthily. I just died 5 times in a row trying to ghost this section and I got spotted and killed every single fucking time.

You mean after the
iran govermnet
guy betrayed you?
That's easy to stealth, no need to assault.
I guess you can even do it with everybody undisturbed.

danielcw

How exactly do you ghost that section? I take one step in any direction and I'm immediately spotted.

if you have a 360 controller or something similar: hold forward and a
climb up the pillar in front of you, then there are pipes. you may have to be fast
I am sure you can figure out the rest from there

You rant from yesterday gave me a good excuse to replay that level, thanks for that.

now I will go for
philly
EDIT: accidently did restart mission instead of restar checkpoint, close to the end.
for some reason I got Panther evade, instead of Stealth evade points at the end of a section, don't know why?
I mean a Sam section, it's unfortunate, but understandable, that I get Panther at the end of Briggs segment.
Did the first Briggs segment without killing anyone this time, and almost succeeded on doing it on the second

Top Bottom