• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

danielcw

the last fight with Sadiq is really bad.

What didn't you like about it?

I thought the general idea of a pattern based stealth boss fight was well executed.
Better then what I ever expected from SC, considering the "reality" the game is set in.

The QTE section was not that good, but definitely doable on first try, and way to easy when you know which button to expect exactly. Felt more like a cut scene, should have been one.

Just finished single player, great game really enjoyed it much more than Conviction (never really played any of the others).

Saw a lot of stuff about it being action etc, didn't see much of it. Gives you a choice of playthroughs and you can do as you like I generally found it easier to stealth it up than other choices but maybe thats just me.

Co-op missions are good too. Debating whether to play it on another difficulty mode. Enjoying co-op with my buddy too.

The gave has its fair of problems, but over all this is a very solid Splinter Cell title and very enjoyable if you play it thinking that Sam Fisher died and this is a totally new character with the same name, seriously Sam Fisher is dead for good.

Anyway I think the game offer some incredible variety, different missions taking place in different times, sure there are tons of them in the USA but they felt great, the story wasn't that bad either, it was pretty good, but the amount of untied loose ends is enormous, seriously the devs keep leaving loose ends without bothering tying them up.

Yet I think the best character in Blacklist and probably the whole Splinter Cell --since Sam Fisher is already dead-- is Majid Sadiq, that character was one of the biggest reason why I enjoyed Blacklist.

Bradiculous

Neo Member
Co-op missions are where it's at. Me and a buddy been playing alot of offline multi-player and we're having a blast with it. While on the subject it's been a while since I've seen such a friendly offline multiplayer service.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Speaking of which: Did they patch Brigg's mission yet? Yes? No? I'm still waiting to where I can complete that without having to worry about it glitching out.

CHEEZMO™;83306777 said:
Word. I loved Sadiq.
Tell me about it, he is cunning, ruthless, intelligent and a real threat, I hope he is a reoccurring character, I want to see more of him in future SC titles.

https://twitter.com/SplinterCell/status/382187707922788352/photo/1

"As of tomorrow, the beautiful Billionaire’s Yacht and Dead Coast maps will be available for all to enjoy"

They all so say

"Just to clarify, the 'available for everyone' means that the DLC will be coming out on all platforms. Pricing details to come tomorrow."

I hope that price is good, I would like to play Billionaires Yacht, I have Dead Coast already from preorder
A shame they are not for free, these 2 maps feltcut from the game, seriously Charlie & Briggs got 4 missions each and you can listen to the finishing lines from both characters, but when it comes to Grim & Kobin they fuckin cut the final level for each of them and made them pre-order bonus which sucks big times.

Heck if you check the dead drop sequence you will find you are missing 2, those 2 are in the DLC which should have been inside the game, but no Ubisoft cut it and now is selling it separately to make more money, Sigh.

jmizzal

A shame they are not for free, these 2 maps filled cut from the game, seriously Charlie & Briggs got 4 missions each and you can listen to the finishing lines from both characters, but when it comes to Grim & Kobin they fuckin cut the final level for each of them and made them pre-order bonus which sucks big times.

Heck if you check the dead drop sequence you will find you are missing 2, those 2 are in the DLC which should have been inside the game, but no Ubisoft cut it and now is selling it separately to make more money, Sigh.

I agree I thought they were gonna say free tomorrow, no company should charge for any content that is finish when the game has launched only stuff developed after launch.

Lima

At least Ubisoft always puts up the pre-order stuff for sale so I can play it too. Other publishers don't bother doing it.

Stantron

As someone who pre-ordered from Amazon, I really only want the Billionaire’s Yacht map. But $7 is kind of steep for that.

Releasing pre-order DLC bundles post launch. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens to ACIV and watch_dogs too.

Alpende

I have one of those codes that came with my Upper Echelon Edition. Turns out the site where you have to enter that code isn't live anymore. So no bonus map.

Stantron

Anybody know how to set challenges for friends in the social feed? Or does that stuff happen automatically? I was trying to find a way on the shadownet.splintercell.com website too, but no luck.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hello all,

I was wondering what the consensus is on Spies vs. Mercs. I loved it back in Chaos Theory, and hoping for some genuine deal-maker opinions from you guys.

The thing is, my SO has a recent thing for pretty unique online multiplayer (e.g. she has been loving Dark Souls and TLoU). I thought this would be a safe bet for the next one to pick up, obviously barring GTA Online which I thoroughly hope she's also able to get into.

Would you say it's easier/harder than TLoU? She's gotten used to 3rd person controls from the above two titles, but not sure if being forced to play a Merc would pose a problem...

Also, is there any local co-op this time around? If not I guess we could convince a friend to play with us online eventually, but anything where we can take our time and work through a mission together would be cool.

Cheers for any input!

MAX PAYMENT

Hello all,

I was wondering what the consensus is on Spies vs. Mercs. I loved it back in Chaos Theory, and hoping for some genuine deal-maker opinions from you guys.

The thing is, my SO has a recent thing for pretty unique online multiplayer (e.g. she has been loving Dark Souls and TLoU). I thought this would be a safe bet for the next one to pick up, obviously barring GTA Online which I thoroughly hope she's also able to get into.

Would you say it's easier/harder than TLoU? She's gotten used to 3rd person controls from the above two titles, but not sure if being forced to play a Merc would pose a problem...

Also, is there any local co-op this time around? If not I guess we could convince a friend to play with us online eventually, but anything where we can take our time and work through a mission together would be cool.

Cheers for any input!

The multilayer in this game is far better than the last of us garbage multiplayer.

Hello all,

Cheers for any input!

svm classic is now rife with level 50+ guys and really not very fun if you're a noob

svm blacklist is a bit easier by virtue of it being 4v4

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So the matchmaking isn't great?

That's one thing that sometimes sours the experience in TLoU, but otherwise I've been enjoying it. I barely ever play online shooters, but thought these two would compare in terms of having to work as a team, not just rush in alone, being kinda tactical and taking it slow, etc. Can these things pay off in SvM?

4v4 Blacklist sounds promising, as that's what TLoU does. Are there any other significant gameplay/customisation changes? Can you play private games/local co-op?

Nokterian

I am on the fence to double dip it on Playstation plus it's untill the 30th here in europe 35 euro's. If someone wants to do co-op with me later that would be cool. And i think i need a cheap headset for communiciation.

So have any Wii U issues been fixed?

Not really no, the Ubisoft community manager once again blamed most issues on router settings on twitter, which is utter bullshit, as even when setting the WiiU to the DMZ you still can't join friends randomly. It's 100% on them, but in typical Ubisoft fashion they shift blame.

Hello all,

Cheers for any input!

I'd say it's not nearly as tense as SvM in Chaos Theory, but a lot more fun (at least to me) The classic Game Mode is where it's at. SvM Blacklist is a bit too hectic and focused on fighting rather than stealth and clever setups.
Map design is usually clever and offers lots of tactics for both Mercs and Spies.
On 360 and PS3 there is local coop and there are some really great missions there.
Online coop is available on all platforms, although on WiiU Ubisoft is refusing to patch the invite feature so far.
Coop alone was worth the price of admission for me. Missions range from a pure Coop Campaign, to hacking 3 objectives while remaining undetected (mission failure), to Horde type missions and cleanup missions where you have to get rid of a set amount of enemies. When detected in those missions, backup will arrive and it's going to get harder.

RedSwirl

I've been trying to find one of the BGM themes from this game but I can't remember where it actually plays. I'm sure it plays in one of the menu screens. I couldn't find it on the official soundtrack.

Raptomex

Ok, I'm no Splinter Cell expert and every now and then I enjoy a good stealth game. In my opinion, this is really good. I've never played Chaos Theory so I can't compare. I had Pandora Tomorrow back in the day when I was a young teen and couldn't get into it. I didn't have the patience for stealth games back then. But I'm really enjoying this.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought this, should be delivered by Wednesday. Looking forward to digging into it as this thread seems quite positive on the game.

Is the online community still strong for this game on 360? I don't expect I'll play much SvM (maybe a little bit to try it out), but I definitely want to give the co-op a solid run.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say it's not nearly as tense as SvM in Chaos Theory, but a lot more fun (at least to me) The classic Game Mode is where it's at. SvM Blacklist is a bit too hectic and focused on fighting rather than stealth and clever setups.
Map design is usually clever and offers lots of tactics for both Mercs and Spies.
On 360 and PS3 there is local coop and there are some really great missions there.
Online coop is available on all platforms, although on WiiU Ubisoft is refusing to patch the invite feature so far.
Coop alone was worth the price of admission for me. Missions range from a pure Coop Campaign, to hacking 3 objectives while remaining undetected (mission failure), to Horde type missions and cleanup missions where you have to get rid of a set amount of enemies. When detected in those missions, backup will arrive and it's going to get harder.

This is great, thanks so much for your impressions. Looks like I'll definitely be picking this up at some point (local co-op is a huge selling point). I take it it's just 2-player?

Also, can you have 2 people playing SvM locally versus 2 more elsewhere (like Street Fighter X Tekken)? Thanks again!

This is great, thanks so much for your impressions. Looks like I'll definitely be picking this up at some point (local co-op is a huge selling point). I take it it's just 2-player?

Also, can you have 2 people playing SvM locally versus 2 more elsewhere (like Street Fighter X Tekken)? Thanks again!

I don't think you can, but then again, I own the WiiU version where they simply forgot to include a local coop mode. The one console that would offer a perfect two screen setup from the get go... Ubisoft is just straight up trolling.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is it me or is this game kinda hard? I consider myself pretty decent at stealth games but about 30 minutes into Blacklist and this game has been kicking my ass. In the intro I figured I could sneak up on the guys firing off into the distance to take them out, but while I was killing one the other saw me and put me down. That was my first death, of which there were quite a few more to follow in both the intro and the first part of the Benghazi mission.

I actually find it quite exciting that this game punishes you so severely for being spotted. I'm not sure whether it's because I'm still getting used to the game or what, but it feels like I have to be very careful with my movements because enemies are quite aware of their surroundings; many times I've been spotted even though I thought that I was hidden from view.

Alpende

Once you get enough money to buy stealth upgrades it gets better. I also got my ass handed to me in the first few missions trying to stealth my way through.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Haha OK that makes sense. I thought I may have somehow lost my skill at stealth games.

Interestingly I think I prefer Sam's design in Conviction than I do in Blacklist where he has that goofy crew cut.

Sam-fisher-splinter-cell-conviction-character-artwork.jpg

Rnr1224

seeing as this game is $40 on amazon, i'm curious if anyone thinks if its worth it for the Wii U version. i've heard that there are some online issues that can be fixed by changing some settings on your router. Unfortunately, i am using my Campus Wifi so i cant change any settings on it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday I discovered (the hard way) that Grim's missions don't have checkpoints, and the fact that they are insta-fail if you get spotted can get a little annoying. I managed to beat it after about 5 or so tries, but man... It got pretty frustrating getting so close to the final objective and then being spotted.

I like the game so far, although there is a lack of people playing co-op online. Either that or they will just kick me from the lobby when they see that I am a level 1. Annoying.

rtcn63

Yesterday I discovered (the hard way) that Grim's missions don't have checkpoints, and the fact that they are insta-fail if you get spotted can get a little annoying. I managed to beat it after about 5 or so tries, but man... It got pretty frustrating getting so close to the final objective and then being spotted.

Absolutely hated this at first, but eventually I learned to enjoy having to take everyone out in one go. You still have to deal with stuff like enemies seeing you when they probably shouldn't be and ruining the mission, but later in particular, you get enough gear that it's less of an irritation. You'll likely become so proficient that you'll be able to finish some missions in a single try.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely hated this at first, but eventually I learned to enjoy having to take everyone out in one go. You still have to deal with stuff like enemies seeing you when they probably shouldn't be and ruining the mission, but later in particular, you get enough gear that it's less of an irritation. You'll likely become so proficient that you'll be able to finish some missions in a single try.

Yeah it was annoying but I will say that the fear of the insta-fail adds a little extra edge to these missions since you have to do everything right, and you have to be on point 100% of the time. I will never forget that final stretch when I took out one guard and then had to quickly improvise a Mark and Execute as a second guard turned the corner and almost spotted me due to the lighthouse light shining right at me. I don't think I've been that nervous playing a game in a long time, and it's a nice feeling.

Loxley

I picked this up two days ago and man, I haven't been able to put it down. It seems like a pretty good combination of the old SC games and the more modern additions from Conviction, but obviously leaning slightly more towards the Conviction side of things.

Ether way, usually I hate the trial-and-error approach that a lot of stealth games embrace, but I find myself not really minding it here. The feeling of accomplishment when you pull off a mission almost perfectly is really satisfying. Hell, I somehow managed to complete Grim's English Fort mission on my first try (it wasn't completely perfect, as I lost the bonus for not keeping the guards from getting suspicious) which was very gratifying. It usually takes me 3-6 tries before successfully completing a mission.

My only real gripe is Sam's voice acting. Fuck me if he isn't the most monotone, boring sounding human being I've heard in a long time in a video game. Ubi, I don't care how much money he wants, get Ironside back for the next SC :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I picked this up two days ago and man, I haven't been able to put it down. It seems like a pretty good combination of the old SC games and the more modern additions from Conviction, but obviously leaning slightly more towards the Conviction side of things.

Ether way, usually I hate the trial-and-error approach that a lot of stealth games embrace, but I find myself not really minding it here. The feeling of accomplishment when you pull off a mission almost perfectly is really satisfying. Hell, I somehow managed to complete Grim's English Fort mission on my first try (it wasn't completely perfect, as I lost the bonus for not keeping the guards from getting suspicious) which was very gratifying. It usually takes me 3-6 tries before successfully completing a mission.

My only real gripe is Sam's voice acting. Fuck me if he isn't the most monotone, boring sounding human being I've heard in a long time in a video game. Ubi, I don't care how much money he wants, get Ironside back for the next SC :(

You know I actually think Eric Johnson is doing a pretty good job on the voice acting side of things. Yeah he's kinda monotone but that's how Ironside played him so he has to maintain that same characteristic. I feel like he does manage to show a steely confidence behind his voice though, and he can be sympathetic or very intimidating in the way he's talking. I don't mind him at all really.

My mouse is hovering the order button on Amazon, I just need to know one thing.

I've heard that it's a lot like Chaos Theory in some respects, can anyone confirm if they've felt it's like CT or does it feel more simplified and closer to Conviction with regard to stealth and how each encounter is designed.

Xrenity

My mouse is hovering the order button on Amazon, I just need to know one thing.

I've heard that it's a lot like Chaos Theory in some respects, can anyone confirm if they've felt it's like CT or does it feel more simplified and closer to Conviction with regard to stealth and how each encounter is designed.
More like Conviction imo.

Top Bottom