• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Dialogue wasn't so bad. people keep saying that but never explain why or how it's bad. And a villain named Skullface is no worse than a villain named Yellow Bastard who does the same thing.
You mean besides the fact that characters very rarely talk like an actual person would? Or the constantly monologuing villain with a voice that sounds like it came straight out of an anime dub? Or the horrible dialogue itself with body comparisons to fruit, which is part of the constant monologuing villain critique because by god someone wrote this and thought it was poetic or something. Seriously, try saying some of the stuff that they say in the game out loud, it sounds so awkward.

Is
torturing people gonna be a reoccurring mechanic in this?
Is it possible to kill Huey if you could kill quiet?
Considering that only buddies can be killed, (someone correct me if i'm wrong) compared to key characters I don't think so, [SPOILER[He seems quite important to the narrative.[/SPOILER]

Venom Fox

Banned
Because they're idiots who don't know how spoiler threads work. First page we had people not even saying what the spoilers were. Wish they'd go and shit up the Hype threads if they're not here to discuss actual info about the game's content.
Idiots? Clicking on spoiler threads by accident is easily done on mobile, especially when you have 3 other MGS related threads up at the same time.
I posted that there were MAJOR spoilers out in the wild so people who accidentally clicked would see it and gtfo before shit got spoiled.

So please, tell me again why we are idiots...

What does the Metal Gear ST 84 look like again?
I think it's this:

CKo91PaVEAEGQgo.jpg

You mean besides the fact that characters very rarely talk like an actual person would? Or the constantly monologuing villain with a voice that sounds like it came straight out of an anime dub? Or the horrible dialogue itself with body comparisons to fruit, which is part of the constant monologuing villain critique because by god someone wrote this and thought it was poetic or something. Seriously, try saying some of the stuff that they say in the game out loud, it sounds so awkward.

Nobody in movies talk like real people either
his voice is fine, he has a very slight accent that is true to what he says
bodies are compared to fruits all the time
villains always monologue
it's an acted script, you don't see me saying shakespeare out loud without it sounding awkward

I still hope that Quiet is playable though. Weird they'd make soldiers but not her playable.

Could you cite some of the lines you have issues with?

I mostly remember Skull Face talking about how his mother tongue was taken from him. You occasionally get these flashes of brilliance,
I love how they explain the importance of a language to any culture and once you take their language, you begin taking apart their culture.

I want this to be true.

Me too but a few things -
BB didn't die in Metal Gear 1 so that's a huge blue balls moment. When you do kill him in 2, it's with an aerosol can and a lighter. Now I don't think changing the weapon you use to kill him would be a big deal at all but it's silly to do a big death scene when we know that's not really where he dies.
That being said, I hope it's true

Jackpot

Banned
Idiots? Clicking on spoiler threads by accident is easily done on mobile, especially when you have 3 other MGS related threads up at the same time.
I posted that there were MAJOR spoilers out in the wild so people who accidentally clicked would see it and gtfo before shit got spoiled.

So please, tell me again why we are idiots...

Because you want to defeat the entire purpose of the thread just to spare the handful of people whose thumb slip on their smartphone.

Movie threads in OT get clear spoiler rules, but gaming can't manage?

Actually, from watching/imagining both games and anime as live-action adaptations I've realised just how much the stylisation for lack of a better word contributes to the suspension of disbelief.

So, I didn't realize at first, but it looks like the boot camp build of the game is specific to the event (with no ending). Jason Schreier just got his review copy delivered, and it's apparently a full retail copy. So reviewers will have played the whole thing.

So, I didn't realize at first, but it looks like the boot camp build of the game is specific to the event (with no ending). Jason Schreier just got his review copy delivered, and it's apparently a full retail copy. So reviewers will have played the whole thing.

Weird. So do we know which journalists are getting full copies...?

No clue, but who's at the event? It seems more like MGS community figures, no? Not reviewers from Kotaku/GB/Polygon/IGN.

Maybe the bootcamp is more a promotional thing than a formal review event.

Well we know Egoraptor is there from one of the deleted tweets from a person who went, Yongyea who seems to be a popular MGS streamer, Greg Miller who isn't in official media anymore but he hosts his own personality driven show...

yeah. Giant Bomb was invited to it, but Jeff said that they would rather do stuff with the full copy of the game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why are we putting spoiler tags in the spoiler thread? This should be an (outer) heaven for tag free spoilers, but I will comply with putting tags if those are the rules.

Yawnier

Banned
I've clicked on most the spoilers tags in this thread so far and felt like I've haven't learned anything new lol.

I'm not sure what the big deal is about the Metal Gear ST-84 spoiler?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
his voice is fine, he has a very slight accent that is true to what he says
bodies are compared to fruits all the time
villains always monologue
it's an acted script, you don't see me saying shakespeare out loud without it sounding awkward

I still hope that Quiet is playable though. Weird they'd make soldiers but not her playable.
Yea no, plenty of conversations in film sound completely natural, in fact, i'd say the majority of conversations in film sound completely natural. The film industry would be nowhere near as successful if so many acclaimed directors didn't know how to write proper dialogue and characters that are incredibly relatable to a wide audience. Even stylized films, comic book films, animated films have dialogue that is just compelling as hell to listen to and sounds completely natural. Even average film writers are capable in that regard, for the most part at least. Come on man. Notice how I didn't mention how well acted this stuff is in film, that is just not a statement you can make. If somehow films get to the point where dialogue flows as "naturally" and stilted as in twilight and the Star Wars prequels, then by all means, make that statement. Theater acting is a completely different animal from film, and Kojima isn't trying to emulate theater. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that film is perfect, you can find plenty of examples that prove the opposite, but, a ton of film dialogue is infinitely more believable than what you usually get in metal gear games.

I for one, hope for an explanation on literal invisibility. Really messing with my suspension of disbelief since there. If we have the technology for mechs, invisibility, possible super soldiers, then the fact that we still somehow have audio tapes seems ridiculous.

Could you cite some of the lines you have issues with?

I mostly remember Skull Face talking about how his mother tongue was taken from him. You occasionally get these flashes of brilliance,
I love how they explain the importance of a language to any culture and once you take their language, you begin taking apart their culture.
This entire sequence.
g0Krk5o.png

It doesn't sound natural at all in audio form either.

I've clicked on most the spoilers tags in this thread so far and felt like I've haven't learned anything new lol.

I'm not sure what the big deal is about the Metal Gear ST-84 spoiler?
The specific way we get Quiet is new info, I assumed it would be a boss fight, perhaps it still is but we can't use lethal weapons, there has been very little info on boss fights.

Endo Punk

i just plan on watching PP so i look forward to the spoilers and youtube cutscenes. Having no interest in the game but playing all the previous Metal Gears I am still curious in how this POS franchise ends.

MisterMac

Regarding the subject of faces:
I believe you customize an "Avatar" which will represent you when you invade other F.O.B's using Snake. The character you create in that scene will be what Big Boss looks like for the other player when you invade another player just to avoid having two Big Bosses looking exactly identical on screen

Why are we putting spoiler tags in the spoiler thread? This should be an (outer) heaven for tag free spoilers, but I will comply with putting tags if those are the rules.

I'm doing it because it seems like a bunch of people came into the spoiler thread saying they don't want spoilers.

Whatever, I'm ok with being a bit careful for this game.

We need to establish a new country for those who wish to post spoilers without fear of persecution.
A place where trolls and spoiler happy people will always have a place. Such is the will of Evilore also called... The Boss

We will call it ... Diripientium Sans Frontiers

HonMirin

@JunkerHQnet
Massive spoiler coming out of the MGSV bootcamp, folks

Haven't seen the spoiler in question, however spoilers will start dropping like crazy in the next few days. 28 years y'all, we almost there.
... Why? Why would you do this?

Seeing MGS V and SPOILER in the same sentence?

The temptation is too great to resist. :'(

NateDrake

I won't say I entirely doubt the idea of it, but has anyone actually been allowed to complete the game? I'm super skeptical of how someone has details on the epilogue already. People at this preview event are only 5-10% done the game

Yeah, as of yesterday my colleague was only 5% complete and have me a general idea of how many missions the game contains.

Sub_Level

Reading these spoilers makes me even more hype for the game.

I'm sick and twisted am I?

Not at all. Love the MGS storyline, easily the most expansive in gaming, but if a spoiler ruins a GAME for you then it's not worth much. MGSV is about 10 tons of VIDEOGAME with lots of replayability. You sitting down with the controller is the real experience!

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Me too but a few things -
BB didn't die in Metal Gear 1 so that's a huge blue balls moment. When you do kill him in 2, it's with an aerosol can and a lighter. Now I don't think changing the weapon you use to kill him would be a big deal at all but it's silly to do a big death scene when we know that's not really where he dies.
That being said, I hope it's true

Didn't BB turn into a cyborg when his skin melted off in MG2? Perhaps... that wasn't him.

I came here looking for spoilers. I leave disappointed.

I love the MGS series for its gameplay first and foremost so honestly don't mind getting the story spoiled. I just want to see the end of all the crazy theories, and see which one of them were true.

Sub_Level

I came here looking for spoilers. I leave disappointed.

I love the MGS series for its gameplay first and foremost so honestly don't mind getting the story spoiled. I just want to see the end of all the crazy theories, and see which one of them were true.

Apparently the build at the preview event is basically completed but the developers omitted the ending.

Apparently the build at the preview event is basically completed but the developers omitted the ending.
Isn't it review event and not "preview". I read the tweet of Jason from Kotaku who apparently got his review copy so maybe they are sending the full game to the big sites.

AdanVC

Good thing I'm not playing the game anytime soon so I'm just chillin' in this thread. Everything spoiled so far is pretty damn exciting.

Sub_Level

Isn't it review event and not "preview". I read the tweet of Jason from Kotaku who apparently got his review copy so maybe they are sending the full game to the big sites.

Yes, review. My bad.

The embargo already lifts Sunday, which is quite a nice change from their usual release day embargo.

Regarding the subject of faces:
I believe you customize an "Avatar" which will represent you when you invade other F.O.B's using Snake. The character you create in that scene will be what Big Boss looks like for the other player when you invade another player just to avoid having two Big Bosses looking exactly identical on screen

That sounds fairly plausible to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom