• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

DR1. It's got that very oppressive feel to it that DR2's island didn't have.
DR1 definitely has a more continuously oppressive feel, but the bizarre and surreal nature of DR2 might even be more unsettling to me. I like how both game have very distinct feels to them, yet still feel congruent.

The cry of despair when you find a body and daily life switches to deadly life.

Sogood.gif
There’s nothing for me in gaming that compares to the nail-biting apprehension when you're on your first DR playthrough, you open the door to a crime scene, the discovery cutscene begins playing and you’re praying “Please don’t be them. Please don’t be them.” Fortunately, I’ve never had the misfortune to stumble across the body of my favourite character in either game. Unfortunately, I have had to watch them both be executed.

Case 3 sent me through the 5 stages of grief roughly 50 times. you can actually see Ibuki's hair when she's climbing the ladder so i knew it was her, but i kept coming up with reasons about why it couldn't be.
IIRC the only person you see climbing a ladder is Mikan in her fake video, and you can’t see her hair properly. I kept expecting that latter point to come up in the trial in some form, but from memory it never did.

THEN Mikan's trial put me through it another 50 times, especially when they kept talking about believing in her, I kept holding out hope that it would be Kazuichi or someone that I didn't care about so of course it wasn't. I put the game down for a few days and I almost didn't bother going back to it (this is a good thing, evoking that sort of emotion from me is super hard) DR 1 didn't really do this to me since my favorites were Aoi and Kyoko and they both survived
Yeah, chapter 3 stung like a nest of hornets covered in cowboy spurs, since it killed off two of my Tier 1s and one of my Tier 2s. Though chp 3 in DR1 killed Celeste (Tier 0), so that was probably more painful overall.

Of course, nothing compares to chp 5 in DR2. I was so determined to finish the game before my holiday ended that I kept playing straight into chp 6, which may not have been the best idea, since I wasn’t in the best psychological state for the finale. Kinda fell apart when Chiaki made her reappearance.

Also, Celeste cosplay. Just because.

881042u6kpy.jpg

Hedgey

Just finished Danganronpa 2.
I currently live in Japan, so I'm probably going to pick up another episode tomorrow.
Would anyone here watch a stream if I put one up?

Hedgey

Another Episode is currently my favourite Danganronpa game, and I've only played the first hour. That's saying a lot since I really loved the first two. You can't really compare them though since they're completely different genres.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm still kind of surprised NISA hasn't confirmed it for an US release. They need to hurry up so I can pre-order the LE.

Is there as much dialogue to translate/dub compared to DR1 &/or 2?

DaBoss

I'll put spoiler tags for anyone who doesn't want to know anything about AE. There are no story spoilers of any kind in this post. It's just about how much text, voice acting, and gameplay there is.
Is there as much dialogue to translate/dub compared to DR1 &/or 2?
It feels like there is more dialogue to translate, but that could just be due to the large ratio of cutscenes/dialogue to gameplay.

There is definitely a lot more to dub. ~80% of the game has voice acting.

Hedgey

I'll put spoiler tags for anyone who doesn't want to know anything about AE. There are no story spoilers of any kind in this post. It's just about how much text, voice acting, and gameplay there is.

It feels like there is more dialogue to translate, but that could just be due to the large ratio of cutscenes/dialogue to gameplay.

There is definitely a lot more to dub. ~80% of the game has voice acting.

Yup, and it definitely feels a lot more natural that way.
I didn't like how the first two games weren't fully voiced.
I feel like the dialogue would be a lot easier to translate this way as well because not only is it written japanese, but also spoken. I have a lot of experience translating spoken Japanese but the amount of kanji I know is awful. That said I have no problem playing this game and understanding the story.

PK Gaming

DRAT Makoto said:
...It's amazing what a little Hope can do for you. The natural human reaction is to hate everybody around you. Sure I totally get that. But we need to get along! Otherwise we'll all end up getting covered in pink goop because somebody got tempted by Monokuma's motive of the week. Look we need to move forward... as classmates, hell as friends. And there's only one way we can do that. And that's by ignoring everything that comes out of her damn mouth!

Not going to lie, this was my favorite part of the episode.

You could rejig it a little bit and turn this into a very moving speech in canon. It's seriously that good.

Hedgey

My Danganronpa gachapon figure collection! Nothing from Another Episode, unfortunately. Nothing has been released yet as far as I know. I have a lot of doubles of the danganronpa 2 figures, but the Danganronpa the animation figures have been very hard to find.
I just picked up the Monokuma Nendroid yesterday, I think it's a great addition haha.
I like the "Pupupupu!" pose best.

I must say that in DRAT episode 6 my favorite moment was when
Ronove from Umineko
made his appearance near the end. I guess I should have expected it from the
Umineko easter egg at the very beginning of DRAT EP3 ("legend of the golden bitch") and that Faulerro actually used Umineko soundtrack in this newest episode.
Besides that, there is not a lot to it IMO. Still worth the wait, though. Every episode is excellent, my favorite parody of anything of all time.

antibolo

Banned

Finally arrived. (Well it arrived two weeks ago but I was too busy to unpack it.)

Ugh now I want the Chiaki one too, but it looks like it's too late for pre-ordering :(
Does anyone know of any place that still takes pre-orders for it?

Finally arrived. (Well it arrived two weeks ago but I was too busy to unpack it.)

Ugh now I want the Chiaki one too, but it looks like it's too late for pre-ordering :(
Does anyone know of any place that still takes pre-orders for it?
I was late on pre-ordering Chiaki as well, but got one from Amazon 1-2 weeks ago after someone posted on MFC about it. They'll ship it globally.

Hedgey

Wow, those figures are really nice! I'm so jealous, haha. I'm not a big fan of big figures though. (and I really don't have space in my apartment) The Gachapon figures are taking over enough as it is! I might have a look for those in used figure stores =D

antibolo

Banned
Wow, those figures are really nice! I'm so jealous, haha. I'm not a big fan of big figures though. (and I really don't have space in my apartment) The Gachapon figures are taking over enough as it is! I might have a look for those in used figure stores =D

I usually only buy Figmas and Nendoroids (hence what we see around the figure in the previous pic), I think they're more fun and practical than large static figures. But I made an exception for Danganronpa!

D-Man

I-Is this Chiaki hate I see!? How is this possible!? I can't even begin to comprehend the fact that there are people who DISLIKE Chiaki!

QS4Xj0T.png

FluxWaveZ

Chiaki is practically expressly designed to be fawned over by the game's target demographic, which is part of the reason why I didn't really like her as well.

Chiaki is practically expressly designed to be fawned over by the game's target demographic, which is part of the reason why I didn't really like her as well.

kinda this but I appreciate her more when thinking of her as an extension of Chihiro's character. Like... considering her as Chihiro's ideal daughter, or the kind of person Chihiro wants to be. At least, that's what I see in the parts when Chiaki takes charge, and it also helps explain why parts of her can feel kinda pander-y.

Basically I'm pretty indifferent to her. Seeing how enthusiastic a lot of people are about her, I wish I felt similarly, but I can't really muster it.

But why

They're all fictional anyway, what makes an AI that effectively passes the turing test any less awesome
because I absolutely despise the twist. Turning them into an AI robs them of having the same impact. The worst part of "They were an AI" is not that they were an AI, its that its the twist. If they were a known AI from the start then you build expectations around that. Maybe as you learn more about them you get conflicted opinions on what an AI is. Aigis in P4 is able to do this. When you use "They were an AI" as a twist however, you rob them of all the expectations you have built up around them. Its sort of like Celeste in DR1, how many people hate her after her character 180d in chapter 3?

I also hate "It was all a dream/fake" trope twist as well. DR2 managed to make me hate that one slightly less because of the brilliant you are all ultimate despair twist with it.

Chiaki should have been someone from future foundation that was placed in the simulation to work with them. Leave just usami as the AI. For a last bout of despair too they coulda found out that while all the others were comatose AI Junko had shut off life support to Chiaki's pod after the execution. (something something managed to break the rules of the game)

Seriously though, fuck "they were an AI" twists

PK Gaming

There's no denying that Chiaki panders to a target demographic, but I don't think that precludes her from being a good character at all. She ended up being a pretty interesting character full of quirks, and she had an intriguing backstory that made her stand out from other panderish-type characters. And her video game references were amazing; I love how she tried to work them into the various awful situations they were in.

Because she was at her best when she's making blatant, over the top gaming references. I only wish they made her throw out more video-game references.

unfortunately Chiaki fell from A+ to F- when they revealed she was an AI

Except her characterization absolutely necessitated it. There was something off about Chiaki from them moment you met see her; it wasn't enough that she was ridiculously cute and a savant at video games, but she was also incredibly sharp and cool-headed. Inhuman competency doesn't even begin to describe her; She never truly expressed fear or doubt. She was completely selfless. She was one of the main driving forces behind the trials, and could easily come up with conclusions despite being in a high stress situation (there's a clear struggle with Hajime, and he doesn't discover everything as a result. Nagito is just a freak). She also had absolute faith in the other Ultimates, but without a clear reason.

Chiaki: You’re not that kind of person, are you? You’re not the kind of person who could hurt someone else, right? It’s all right ... you’re okay ... everything’s all right...

It goes way beyond sheer altruism, and it makes perfect sense once you clear the game. I thought chapter 4 practically gave it away when she wasn't suffering from the effects of food deprivation whatsoever. Add in the fact that her long pauses are most likely related to her *loading* information, and you have a character that was pretty clearly intended to be inhuman from the start. You can't have that kind of character without a strong justification. Even Kyoko had several moments of weakness in DR1. As an advanced AI, she justifiably has full knowledge of the students, general intelligence, the ability to keep a calm head at all times, and not being burdened by human emotions.

You can hate the twist, but her character is completely ridiculous without it.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I actually though her constant game references were pretty shallow and dumb, the "one winged angel" discussion with Junko at the end was way better in that regard.

FluxWaveZ

Except her characterization absolutely necessitated it. There was something off about Chiaki from them moment you met see her; it wasn't enough that she was ridiculously cute and a savant at video games, but she was also incredibly sharp and cool-headed. Inhuman competency doesn't even begin to describe her; She never truly expressed fear or doubt. She was completely selfless. She was one of the main driving forces behind the trials, and could easily come up with conclusions despite being in a high stress situation (there's a clear struggle with Hajime, and he doesn't discover everything as a result. Nagito is just a freak). She also had absolute faith in the other Ultimates, but without a clear reason.

And there's another reason I didn't really like her as much as other people. Like you mention, even Kyoko had moments of vulnerability and weakness, of which the scene where her selfishness is in full effect as she is ready to sacrifice Makoto for her goals is an example. I'm not into the "all-knowing, perfect character" trope unless it's executed in an especially interesting way (e.g. Nagito, like you mention as well) or has some kind of subversion to it. I think it might be partly why I came to be indifferent towards Junko as a villain, but reading DR/Zero changed that somewhat.

Aside from Nagito pretty much tripping Chiaki up in an unexpected plan, she demonstrated full control of any situation at all times and, in a game like Danganronpa where the unexpected and the unsettling are common, I'm not necessarily too into that, especially when it's at the cost of the tension during a Classroom Trial.

And there's another reason I didn't really like her as much as other people. Like you mention, even Kyoko had moments of vulnerability and weakness, of which the scene where her selfishness is in full effect as she is ready to sacrifice Makoto for her goals is an example. I'm not into the "all-knowing, perfect character" trope unless it's executed in an especially interesting way (e.g. Nagito, like you mention as well) or has some kind of subversion to it. I think it might be partly why I came to be indifferent towards Junko as a villain, but reading DR/Zero changed that somewhat.

Aside from Nagito pretty much tripping Chiaki up in an unexpected plan, she demonstrated full control of any situation at all times and, in a game like Danganronpa where the unexpected and the unsettling are common, I'm not necessarily too into that, especially when it removes the tension of a Classroom Trial.
I do love me some kyoko, her straining with regret after that trial is a highlight of the series for me

PK Gaming

I actually though her constant game references were pretty shallow and dumb, the "one winged angel" discussion with Junko at the end was way better in that regard.

I definitely disagree with you on that one. I felt that her character was fully realized when she was making dumb, cheesy video gaming references to contrast with their current situation.

((Note: Content manager wasn't working, so I improvised))

2014%2B-%2B3
2014%2B-%2B2

2014%2B-%2B5
2014%2B-%2B1

2014%2B-%2B6
2014%2B-%2B8
2014%2B-%2B19

2014%2B-%2B27
2014%2B-%2B26
2014%2B-%2B21

2014%2B-%2B37
2014%2B-%2B32

2014%2B-%2B38
2014%2B-%2B41

Because without them, she's honestly kind of... well, boring.

Zareka

I just couldn't get into Chiaki's video game references at all. All I felt was second hand embarrassment at how everything was video games.

Flux basically explained the main reasons I disliked her though.

PK Gaming

Huh, I've been wondering about this. Do you guys hate a character just because they killed someone you liked? Like, Celes was behind Ishimaru's murder and Fuyuhiko was behind Mahiru's, yet they are some of my favorite characters.

The manga disagrees with that.

Who cares? The manga is hot garbage for undermining the reason why the first case was so compelling in the first place.

Zareka

Huh, I've been wondering about this. Do you guys hate a character just because they killed someone you liked? Like, Celes was behind Ishimaru's murder and Fuyuhiko was behind Mahiru's, yet they are some of my favorite characters.

"Man, I really like Ibuki! I hope she doesn't die anytime so-"

chapter 3

"W-well, this sucks, but after doing Mikan's free time events she's starting to really grow on me! At least she's still aro-"

trial 3

Tsumiki_%2811%29.png

Seriously, that case screwed with me so much. My old-favourite character was killed by my new-favourite character, and then I had to kill her. I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO FEEL.

And then Nagito chapter 4 onwards happened and everything was OK.

Top Bottom