• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorcerer

KBc20OO.jpg

Why spend time and energy to come up with a new Emperor type character....when you can literally reuse the chimpanzee from the original trilogy?

It's the ultimate poetry!

Is is true that the original Emperor in Empire (before the special editions) was actually played by an old lady?

Saya

I wouldn't be surprised if Snoke uses lightsabers the same way as Kreia.

I think he's going to be one of those characters that would feel that lightsabers are beneath him. He doesn't need them. I think he will be a master manipulator and I think there will be a good chance he will not be fighting anyone in a physical way.

I think he's going to be one of those characters that would feel that lightsabers are beneath him. He doesn't need them. I think he will be a master manipulator and I think there will be a good chance he will not be fighting anyone in a physical way.

Some kind of light weapon would still be awesome. I mean, Kylo's saber is proof that they're branching out in terms of being creative with the weapon designs.

This is exactly why midiclorians are pointless and dumb! :p

I really get the sense, from one of the interviews Abrams gave recently, that he was essentially saying "Look, I'm not gonna try to overwrite Midichlorians, or retcon them out of existence. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to sidestep them completely."

He seemed to much more prefer the original conceptions of The Force from 1977-1981

Rootbeer

Banned
Snoke has claws similar to Wolverine. Only lightsabers. Calling it.

Hey if we can get a saber like Kylo Ren's anything can happen.

What's the basis for everyone believing that Snoke is actually Plageuis? I never got around to reading the book. Genuinely curious.

Just fan speculation. Nothing more than that at all, really.

Don't quite remember where it specifically started, but it seems borne from a segment of the fanbase really wanting a direct link to the Prequel Era, and seizing on the villain being Palpatine's former master as the best way to do that.

From that point various different confirmation biases came into play.

The Collider/AMC Movie Talk guys REALLY popularized it, though. It and a post-credits stinger/tease were basically their two big bets.

Snoke has claws similar to Wolverine. Only lightsabers. Calling it.

Hey if we can get a saber like Kylo Ren's anything can happen.

Speaking of which, some of the possible configurations of those bladebuilder toys are downright ridiculous. I've seen a lightsaber pitchfork.

kaiju

It's insane how the Plagueis thing blew up. Going as far back as the TFA SDCC panel where J.J. Abrams and Larry Kasdan were both asked by a fan if the character was going to be in the movie.

J.J.: "Uhh...NO."

LK: "DARTH VEGAS?"

This should have been the end all, be all really.

Don't quite remember where it specifically started, but it seems borne from a segment of the fanbase really wanting a direct link to the Prequel Era, and seizing on the villain being Palpatine's former master as the best way to do that.

From that point various different confirmation biases came into play.

The Collider/AMC Movie Talk guys REALLY popularized it, though. It and a post-credits stinger/tease were basically their two big bets.

I can't understand why the Collider guys are pushing this theory hard on their show, given how unabashed they are in their hatred of the prequels.

I personally hope that Snoke is a completely new character with no ties to the prequels.

Plagueis being around would weaken the impact of the original trilogy imo. Then again I am interested to find out where Snoke comes from and what he has been up to and for how long. Probably wont find that out till the back half of the trilogy.

MBison

I'm kinda disappointed if it's not Plagueis just cause I like the full circle of it all (poetry!). Introduced briefly and implied as Emperor's master but presumed killed but nope, alive and way fucking worse and the true big bad.

Hopefully they can make Snoke assuming he's just some rando as epic as I think they could have made Plagueis

nynt9

The only problem with Snoke not being Plagueis is that it raises the question of where did this all-powerful sith lord suddenly come from? Him being explained as an existing force that we knew all along makes sense, whereas there being this super-OP dude who was just lying in hiding all along doesn't make a lot of sense. His origin has to be tied to the OT or maybe PT somehow.

Fj0823

This is exactly why midiclorians are pointless and dumb! :p

Not really, in a way its cool to know exactly how the link between your body and the force works. The Clone Wars also gives more depth to how the spiritual side of the force works through its physical side in the last arc.

The thing we don't know is exactly what makes the force decide to give X baby force powers and not Y baby, I mean the force should know the shit that will go down if it allows Kylo to feel it right? Why give him the sensitivity? Is the force a masochist?

but I guess I´m overthinking it a bit...

Saya

The only problem with Snoke not being Plagueis is that it raises the question of where did this all-powerful sith lord suddenly come from? Him being explained as an existing force that we knew all along makes sense, whereas there being this super-OP dude who was just lying in hiding all along doesn't make a lot of sense. His origin has to be tied to the OT or maybe PT somehow.

I thought they did away with the Sith stuff this time? I might be wrong though, I thought I read that somewhere.

Fj0823

Yeah, specially since Sidious could feel dark side users and personally disposed of them. Rule of two fucker.

Saya

So according to the Serkis quote, the events in Episode IV to VI have affected Snoke. Maybe the Empire destroyed his planet or family or something and turned him to the dark side.

ryan299

Didn't the Plagiues rumors start bc of Rey's staff? I'm not familiar with the character but doesn't he carry a staff that looks similar to Reys?

So according to the Serkis quote, the events in Episode IV to VI have affected Snoke. Maybe the Empire destroyed his planet or family or something and turned him to the dark side.

This is very interesting.

Didn't the Plagiues rumors start bc of Rey's staff? I'm not familiar with the character but doesn't he carry a staff that looks similar to Reys?

Was Plagueis even a thing before the mention in the prequels?

Snoke = Cronal theory.

Doesn't look much like an alien, though. And we've been told Snoke is absolutely an alien.

Unless someone wants to try and split hairs that technically EVERYONE in Star Wars is an alien - which even then doesn't really hold up.

Didn't the Plagiues rumors start bc of Rey's staff?

I'm pretty sure the Rey's Staff stuff was that confirmation bias I was talking about earlier. I remember the Plagueis stuff getting started before Rey's staff became a part of it.

Saya

This is very interesting.

Andy Serkis said:
“No, he’s a new character in this universe. It is very much a newly-introduced character,” “He’s aware of what’s gone on, in the respect that he has been around and is aware of prior events. I think it’d be fair to say that he is aware of the past to a great degree.”

Sorry, I misquoted. He was aware of the events but not maybe not personally affected. Still, a possibility. I don't think we will find out what happened to him until the next film though.

Adept at divination, Cronal was recruited by EmperorPalpatine from the Prophets to join the Empire. He abandoned himself to his meditations in the dark side, becoming withdrawn, physically frail, and paranoid. Considered Palpatine's "monster-maker," Cronal was responsible for the creation of several Sithspawn and other devices of Sith alchemy.

I'm trembling at the possibilities... omg

MattyG

Banned
I can already tell people are going to complain about the fact that there aren't Sith.

Edit: Oh damn, that Snoke = Cronal theory. Now THAT has some legs.

Hey, it's the Raid guys.

tusUb2j.jpg

Would have thought they'd be disguised with masks or prosthetics but this is cool too!
Based on this, I'm guessing they're pirates or something hanging out in Maz's Cantina who help during the First Order Assault or something.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hey, it's the Raid guys.

tusUb2j.jpg

Would have thought they'd be disguised with masks or prosthetics but this is cool too!

So they're playing mooks and barely in the movie.

So they're playing mooks and barely in the movie.

If what we're thinking happens happens, they run the pirate freighter, come down after Han & Chewie show up, get in a whup-ass fight scene, ending with Han jumping the Falcon OUT of the hangar bay while in park.

They might not be in the movie for much, but it's going to be one of the most memorable sequences, I bet.

I'm trembling at the possibilities... omg

Again - Snoke's been specifically described as an Alien. Cronal is a Human. He's also Legends-material.

It'd be really fucking cool, though, if Pablo essentially helped write the main villain of the Sequel Trilogy. But I dunno.

Based on this, I'm guessing they're pirates or something hanging out in Maz's Cantina who help during the First Order Assault or something.

Actually, I think they're the pirates who are harassing Han and Chewie when we first meet up with them. I think. There are a lot of pirates and pirate clans in this movie.

edit: eh, beaten. My friends love The Raid, though; they're probably going to lose their shit when these guys show up. :3

WadeitOut

They along with the Guavian Enforcers are the ones chasing them on the freighter right? We first heard of these guys a long time ago.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They along with the Guavian Enforcers are the ones chasing them on the freighter right? We first heard of these guys a long time ago.

If you look at the upper left it says something, something... "into the conflict with the Guavian Death Gang".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom