• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidan

If you want to go down the physic route, force users should not be able to deflect laser blasts due to the speed of light, even forced enhanced, their reflexes would not be fast enough.

It's space magic it has always been space magic.
Yep. The only explanation I need is "the force".

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The cartoon is as stupid as the prequels, I'm happy ignoring them, and ignoring anything that isn't the movies really.

Blunoise

I am so far pleased with the way Finn turned out but I am apprehensive and not exactly appreciative of the fact he was a red herring for Rey.

The prospect of a black Jedi in a leading role is just too good to be dangled in front of black people and then whisked away. Finn doesn't need to be a Jedi to be a good character, but neither does Rey, and yet I want them both to be one. I want them both to be powerful in the Force and become Jedi.

I have a sneaking suspicion however that Finn will be an obstacle to Rey's progress. I have a feeling Luke has changed since losing his students and won't teach Rey unless she let's go of her attachments. Finn could be the attachment she finds most difficult to let ago, sorta like Aang with Katara when Guru Pathik told him he had to let go to enter the Avatar State. There hasn't been much to suggest that Rey has feelings for Finn, but at the very least they are very close.

Yea those are some interesting theories. Also I want them to be both Jedi to help teach a new Jedi Council. Which is where I think this new saga is trying to head too. Snoke and Lor San Tekka were all referring for the Jedi to rise soon!

Finally got to see the movie! Now give me all the spoilers!

First impressions:
It was awesome!
I'm most attached to droids in the entire saga. BB8 was a great new addition.
Max von Sydow was the worst actor.
I hate Hex.
Please tell me Snoke is just a giant hologram and not a giant.
Who dafuq is Snoke?
Stunning acting although. Isaac, Ridley and Driver was splendid!
Han...
Beautifully shot, JJ did an amazing job.
Can't wait for episode 8!

You know as a strong supporter of Finn.After thinking back after watching the movie and hearing people go so far in thinking that he is a token black guy, is so false.

He was charming and a breath of fresh air to star wars. In fact he has the most exciting arc because we dont know where ep 8 is going to take him. While Rey's arc is very familiar and kinda boring(Heros journey) Finn's is unpredictable and can go so many different routes.

I think because of black exploitation in mega movies like this have given little care to black people, we still have an after taste from them. I still am mad that he was just a red herring for Rey, but I feel as black people, we may get the character we want out of Finn. We just need to wait until after this SAGA is over to review

Did you think Lando was a exploitative character? He wasn't tied to the heroes, he had his own business to handle, but he helped his friend Han because it was the right thing to do.

Finn so far seems a worse character, acting merely as Rey's foil, but we'll see where the next films take him. My main problem with him as he's written more as a Marvel character with the over-the-top reactions. The "Droid, please" one-liner was especially bad, as the OT films never inserted period catchphrases in order to appear more current.

Calabi

I had a thought I'm sure someone else has posted it before. But Kylo Ren seems to me to be a meta commentary. Kylo Ren wants to live up to this legend of Darth Vadar. Everyone wants a new bad guy to be as good as Darth Vadar.

They know they(writers?) cant really do that. It's like their wrapping up their angst into Kylo Ren and expressing it through him.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
They mentioned a Clone Army in this film and had Ewan voice Obi-wan for a line. I'd also say Kylo's hair and the new scar on his face are also reminiscent of Anakin in RotS.

Fair points all-around, but I'm not sure I'd put any of them on the level of the main villain of the trilogy having such explicit ties to the prequels.

Of course, maybe I'm being too hard on it. We never saw Plagueis, and a good script can make him a very OT-esque creature simply by limiting his previous ties to "oh yes, and I was behind the every machination of your Emperor Palpatine."

Joqu

Kinda interesting. In a fight deflecting would be more useful (might hit the enemy). while stopping it is just showing off.

Stopping it probably is more dangerous all things considered. What if Ren had gotten distracted somehow? I wouldn't put it past the guy. Would've hurt.

antonz

Just want to point out the Clone Wars does not say only Light Side users can see force ghosts. What it suggests is only light side users can be Ghosts because it requires complete abandonment of oneself to the force. The Sith are about using and abusing the force for the living moment.

Basically the Sith upon death go to hell while the Jedi get to live in eternity with the force. So it becomes logical the Sith are all about perverting life and trying to prolong it etc.

diaspora

Did you think Lando was a exploitative character? He wasn't tied to the heroes, he had his own business to handle, but he helped his friend Han because it was the right thing to do.

Finn so far seems a worse character, acting merely as Rey's foil, but we'll see where the next films take him. My main problem with him as he's written more as a Marvel character with the over-the-top reactions. The "Droid, please" one-liner was especially bad, as the OT films never inserted period catchphrases in order to appear more current.

I think Finn earns points for how adversarial he is to Kylo Ren. I've mentioned why before, but he strikes me more of an enemy to Ren than Rey.

Stopping it probably is more dangerous all things considered. What if Ren had gotten distracted somehow? I wouldn't put it past the guy. Would've hurt.

That's what I was saying earlier. Kylo uses the force as a way to showboat his power to himself and others. He's trying to "prove" he is powerful - he's not trying to be efficient.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How much of it have you seen exactly?

It's stupid because all of the stupidity of the prequels are there. I 100% agree with Plinkett's take on the prequels, so everyone having a light saber, the dumb jedi rules of celibacy, the Boba Fett clones, all this crap is in there. Plus I don't like cartoons :p

sphagnum

Banned
IIRC, Star Wars "lasers" are actually superheated plasma bolts or something like that, so they wouldn't travel at the speed of light and that's why they're fired off in rounds.

It's stupid because all of the stupidity of the prequels are there. I 100% agree with Plinkett's take on the prequels, so everyone having a light saber, the dumb jedi rules of celibacy, the Boba Fett clones, all this crap is in there. Plus I don't like cartoons :p

Well, your loss.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Disney doesn't dictate the story in Star Wars, Lucasfilm is in control of that. And Lucasfilm has been busy tying together the PT and OT; they clearly don't have a problem with PT material in all the other canon material. However, they give the movie creators free reign to do whatever they want, so Snoke's backstory is up to JJ/Rian/Colin.

I'm sure Disney has some say in the overall tones and trends that the new flicks are supposed to be setting, though, and TFA is proof positive the answer there is unequivocally "OT."

But eh, like I said, I could be way too harsh on all this. It is probably possible to do a Plagueis thing without relying heavily on the prequels.

I still feel like it'll be something new though. More future storytelling potential there by far.

Boke1879

Fair points all-around, but I'm not sure I'd put any of them on the level of the main villain of the trilogy having such explicit ties to the prequels.

Of course, maybe I'm being too hard on it. We never saw Plagueis, and a good script can make him a very OT-esque creature simply by limiting his previous ties to "oh yes, and I was behind the every machination of your Emperor Palpatine."

I see what you're saying. I can just see now the backlash if there was news of Hayden signing on for Episode 8. He's definitely a big point of contention when it comes to the prequels and if he was in any of these movies that in a way acknowledges those movies.

You know people in this fanbase would be pissed and they'd be loud about it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
IIRC, Star Wars "lasers" are actually superheated plasma bolts or something like that, so they wouldn't travel at the speed of light and that's why they're fired off in rounds.

Well, your loss.

Well no, my gain, since I'm not watching something I don't like :) I don't need more than a few movies with a few years in between. The movies better be able to stand on their own that's all I want.

Well the story group making these movies are not ignoring them, so you better not just blindly toss out anything in them just because you don't like em

So you haven't actually watched the shows?

+ the cartoons celebrate the flippity jumpy overly exagerated use of the Force by the Jedi seen in the prequals.

I am glad that JJ put an end to thos flips and spinaroonies and brought the bread-n-butter back in the use of the Force more like the OT

Gleethor

I see what you're saying. I can just see now the backlash if there was news of Hayden signing on for Episode 8. He's definitely a big point of contention when it comes to the prequels and if he was in any of these movies that in a way acknowledges those movies.

And the public at large would continue not giving a fuck.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well the story group making these movies are not ignoring them, so you better not just blindly toss out anything in them just because you don't like em

I'm not tossing anything away that is in the movies because it's in some cartoon or whatever. I enjoy the movies on their own, don't care in any way what a side show says or doesn't.

hal9001

Banned
And to those who said "fuck helicopter shot"

Why? It was fine. Some people need to chill a little. This was a monumental task that no one could have handled better.

wiinILC.gif

I am so far pleased with the way Finn turned out but I am apprehensive and not exactly appreciative of the fact he was a red herring for Rey.

The prospect of a black Jedi in a leading role is just too good to be dangled in front of black people and then whisked away. Finn doesn't need to be a Jedi to be a good character, but neither does Rey, and yet I want them both to be one. I want them both to be powerful in the Force and become Jedi.

I have a sneaking suspicion however that Finn will be an obstacle to Rey's progress. I have a feeling Luke has changed since losing his students and won't teach Rey unless she let's go of her attachments. Finn could be the attachment she finds most difficult to let ago, sorta like Aang with Katara when Guru Pathik told him he had to let go to enter the Avatar State. There hasn't been much to suggest that Rey has feelings for Finn, but at the very least they are very close.

A couple of my friends were disappointed that Finn did not turn out to be the leading Jedi but i wasnt because i suspected something was up from the beginning. The franchise is just too large for that to happen so i figured he would do something to get Rey to finally accept becoming a Jedi.

I just hope he isnt tossed aside as comedic relief and becomes a capable fighter in his own right.

Armaros

Well, your loss.

That's the after the fact rationalization, when it was first shown, it was just laser blasters because that's what people thought of science fiction back then.

I don't think the general population knew or heard of the word much less the concept of plasma. And I don't think movie writers did either.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

And hell, I mean, just look at all the professional reviews, too. The bulk of them just couldn't help taking pot shots at the prequel trilogy. "Unlike the insipid..." "Contrary to the dull, lifeless..." "There is actual warmth here, whereas..."

End of the day, I think what's going to matter to the suits is that goodwill is as strong as possible, and if we ans have to do some mental gymnastics to figure out why certain moments that should contain a bit more of a prequel feel are avoided in favor of more mainstream-savvy elements, I guess that's a small price to pay.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm not surprised Rey was against Finn leaving even if he lied to her. I don't think she'd enjoy being abandoned again.

Yeah, that's one thing about the movie I was really glad they didn't prolong. Usually the "liar revealed" is some climatic scene and it's something that's early in the movie and gets dragged throughout the movie until then. Then you have to deal with a scene or so about him trying to get his good cred back. Here he spills the beans and just wants to leave and there's no big blowout from it either. That's a nice break from the usual bull that comes from these sort of character stories.

+ the cartoons celebrate the flippity jumpy overly exagerated use of the Force by the Jedi seen in the prequals.

I am glad that JJ put an end to thos flips and spinaroonies and brought the bread-n-butter back in the use of the Force more like the OT

Well it makes sense given that they were trained for decades and the ones in 7 were all newbies.

I wouldn't be so sure "flippy" Jedi's are out for good. We'll see...

diaspora

Yeah, that's one thing about the movie I was really glad they didn't prolong. Usually the liar revealed is some climatic scene and it's something that's early in the movie and gets dragged throughout the movie until then. Then you have to deal with a scene or so about him trying to get his good cred back. Here he spills the beans and just wants to leave and there's no big blowout from it either. That's a nice break from the usual bull that comes from these sort of character stories.

That's honestly what I was afraid of happening, the film making a big deal out of the lie. At least for her, the desire to not be left behind again outweighed the lie.

Well no, my gain, since I'm not watching something I don't like :) I don't need more than a few movies with a few years in between.
Id say you are missing something you don't know that you'd dislike.
I hate doing this and wouldn't if it was anything else but Clone Wars really deserves a second look because its completely understandable that people would skip it without a second thought.

Rebels however the only guarantee really is Ahsoka's incredible redesign.

I love Clone Wars but it doesn't beat 4, 5 or 7 for me. Then again, it's quite difficult and a bit unfair to compare a six series TV show with a 2 hour film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom