• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

That stretch of windy silence slaughters me.
When he touches Ben's face...
4gk3CmS.png

I'm not loving any of these as covers, though the BB-8 one looks the best so far.

The only reason I really like the Kylo cover is that it bears some resemblance to the pre-existing steelbooks and I like continuity. The BB-8 cover just feels wrong, where's Daisy, Adam, the actors being represented that actually carried the film. Rey should at least be on one of them.

TheXbox

Hoping for more in the way of bonus features. Star Wars deserves the same treatment LOTR got with its EEs. Multiple commentary tracks, long production docs, the whole nine yards.

Sorry, I saw that, that was my response to it. I want MORE. I'm selfish.

Maybe they'll add up, but it looks about par for the course relative to the prequel DVD releases. (which were mostly okay, just skimpy compared to the monstrous LOTR releases)

You know they're going to sit on 'special features' for the eventual special edition rerelease once Episode VIII comes out

Sorry, I saw that, that was my response to it. I want MORE. I'm selfish.

Maybe they'll add up, but it looks about par for the course relative to the prequel DVD releases. (which were mostly okay, just skimpy compared to the monstrous LOTR releases)
I can't see us ever getting that much unfortunately. No commentary's a bit disappointing. I expect the sequel trilogy box set will be a bit more substantial , though not by much.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I want it

That's the same style as the steelbooks that came out recently, which is the set I have.

It's not 100% identical, but close enough. Which now is bugging me because why couldn't they do it right lol

They're all villain-centric aside from Episode II's steelbook, which makes you wonder why it wasn't Dooku or Jango Fett.

It's cool that they have them match up. I've got the two separate Blu-Ray trilogies because I'm not a fan of cardboard packaging regardless of how nice of how many bonuses it comes with, and don't like steelbooks as they stick up in my collection.

I do wish they would move "The Force Awakens" from the middle of Star Wars like that now though, it was nice to be different and all but with physical media it isn't matching their previous releases.

Personally I would prefer the poster front, normal Star Wars logo, subtitle underneath and the episode number like all the other films use in their releases.

TheXbox

I can't see us ever getting that much unfortunately. No commentary's a bit disappointing. I expect the sequel trilogy box set will be a bit more substantial , though not by much.
So are things actually pointing to no commentary track at all? How hard is it to sit JJ on his ass for two hours and talk about the damn movie? Hell, just put John and Daisy in a room, or some random crew members, I don't care. Something. Maybe some folks are more knowledgeable than I am, but commentary tracks always struck me as the easiest bonus features to put together. All it takes is two hours and a microphone.

So are things actually pointing to no commentary track at all? How hard is it to sit JJ on his ass for two hours and talk about the damn movie? Hell, just put John and Daisy in a room, or some random crew members, I don't care. Something. Maybe some folks are more knowledgeable than I am, but commentary tracks always struck me as the easiest bonus features to put together. All it takes is two hours and a microphone.
Well no commentaries are mentioned in that Swedish website's write up but there's no real confirmation yet.

KevinG

Looks like Target will have exclusive bonus content and some kind of special packaging as well.

Should get official press releases tomorrow.

Anth0ny

I want a 5 hour documentary starting at george's realization that he should sell star wars to disney, an in depth look at the transaction, hiring JJ, casting, then filming the actual film, and the worldwide phenomenon that was the films actual release in december

thanks

I want a 5 hour documentary starting at george's realization that he should sell star wars to disney, an in depth look at the transaction, hiring JJ, casting, then filming the actual film, and the worldwide phenomenon that was the films actual release in december

thanks

I second this motion. Its like the ultimate redemption story.

SlickVic

Looks like Target put up a page for their exclusive version. Mentions 4/5/16 release date again like Amazon did before. Guessing some sort of official announcement today?

From their description "Only at Target: Collectible packaging, plus 20 minutes of exclusive bonus content, including a never-before-seen interview with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, and a deeper look at the movie’s weaponry."

http://www.target.com/p/star-wars-t...07487#prodSlot=medium_1_13&term=force+awakens

Credit to Optimus-Prime-Rox on Blu-Ray.com forums for spotting this

KevinG

Now is the time to decide on which bluray package to get. I'm leaning Target.

No reason to buy the digital copy separately if the bluray is only dropping a few days later.

Edit: Actually, the basic packaging is more appealing than any of the special packaging currently leaked.

4769300.jpg;canvasHeight=150;canvasWidth=150

Surfinn

thanks

Yeah, I'd love this. Good idea.

/Emperor voice

Can it be done?

thanks

Every film I love needs the Blade Runner Collector's Edition blu-ray treatment. Every cut of the film, multiple commentaries, a 3 hour making-of doc on top of hours of featurettes and production art and screen tests. I'd never see daylight again if even half the films in my collection had this kind of package.

TheXbox

No reason to buy the digital copy separately if the bluray is only dropping a few days later.

Edit: Actually, the basic packaging is more appealing than any of the special packaging currently leaked.

^ that looks really nice. I was kinda hoping for something like the OST album cover. Reminds me of the original Star Wars vinyl.

LosDaddie

Banned
Looks like Target put up a page for their exclusive version. Mentions 4/5/16 release date again like Amazon did before. Guessing some sort of official announcement today?

From their description "Only at Target: Collectible packaging, plus 20 minutes of exclusive bonus content, including a never-before-seen interview with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, and a deeper look at the movie’s weaponry."

http://www.target.com/p/star-wars-t...07487#prodSlot=medium_1_13&term=force+awakens

Credit to Optimus-Prime-Rox on Blu-Ray.com forums for spotting this

Does Target have a preorder bonus?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Hopefully they put out a steelbook that is stylistically in-line with these Blu-rays.

steel.jpg

Best part is on the back, they have the original painted posters.

11158302-7794316646594285.jpg

Surfinn

Awesome. Way better than the one below your post..

Surfinn

This is bad enough to make me consider getting digital lol

From the community OT

Someone did a fan-made mock up of a steelbook
VTBBUYU.jpg

(The back kinda looks eh though)

WOW. Makes you realize how safe and unoriginal the covers we currently have are..

Why not make something special? It's not like people aren't going to buy it for looking cooler..

Shaanyboi

Banned
You're kidding me with this steelbook. Seriously, why the shit is Phasma on the back? Cheers if she's a bigger character going forward, but as of now, there's zero reason to put her on the packaging. The poster art on the back was a way better approach!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You're kidding me with this steelbook. Seriously, why the shit is Phasma on the back? Cheers if she's a bigger character going forward, but as of now, there's zero reason to put her on the packaging. The poster art on the back was a way better approach!
She looks cool.

Playsage

I expected the TVTropes page for the movie to already have a "drinking game" template...
They just need one rule for it in order to make it challenging

"Take a shot for every Original Trilogy call back, be it a score theme, a line, a particular frame or a similiar plot point"

You should be at your 4-5 shot by the time the opening scene is finished...

Top Bottom