• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

699y8bX.png

art by Christopher Shy of Studio Ronin

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SPOILER-FREE DISCUSSION THIS IS NOT THE PLACE.
(you want to visit WadiumArcadium & Cystm's mighty-fine |OT| for your spoiler-free discussion needs)

There will be no tagged spoilers from this point forward. You may freely discuss any and all plot points, story details, and other interesting moments from the film. Still haven't seen the film? Don't want detail rich conversation flying in front of your eyes until you've finally made the time to get your ass to the theater? This is your cue to do your best Nopetrooper imitation.

addxXuc.jpg

If you are looking for proof as to the cyclical nature of not just forum conversations, but really life in general, you may look at the spinning, roiling cauldron of praise, nitpicks, outlandish theories and animated gifs of questionable quality and/or legality in Spoiler Thread #1 and Spoiler Thread #2

If you are looking for more in-depth discussions on the nature of Rey's character, a discussion lamentably kickstarted by semi-professional slapdick knucklehead Max Landis, This thread featuring a well-written OP by Veelk is probably the place you wanna go.

If you're curious as to what the movie looked like as it moved through production and began to take shape, Peter Sciretta at Slashfilm has basically compiled some of the more pertinent bits from the Art of Star Wars book, and you can look at those pertinent bits here, although keep in mind many of these images came from waaaaaaaay early in the production, before there was even a script solidly in place.

If you'd like a soundtrack to underscore your time spent perusing this thread, there's the Official Soundtrack, and the For Your Consideration version of the soundtrack for Oscar Voters (which contains variations and different cues from the Official Soundtrack). If you'd like a film version of the climactic cue where Rey finally claims her destiny, this is likely as close as you're gonna get until an official extended version of the soundtrack is released.

Speaking of home releases, the blu-ray appears to be tentatively scheduled for mid-April, and there do not appear to be any plans for a Special Edition (which many fans keep asking for, although many prefer to use the terms Director's Cut or Extended Edition for various reasons)

Remember to be considerate, and keep all your Force Awakens spoilers in this thread. Please don't go dragging them out of here and stashing them behind black bars in the |OT| or any other of the roughly 2597 Star Wars threads currently floating around Off-Topic. If you feel the pressing, mighty, Zim-like NEEEEED to help people with the knowledge you have, simply direct them back to this spoiler thread so that these spoilers don't go spilling all over the board and pissing off some of our more sensitive and/or innocent members.

Here's some helpful reminders from our 22nd President!
It wasn't Coruscant
Kylo was beating his wound for adrenaline
We don't know who Rey's parents are
Snoke is probably not Plagueis
Phasma was thrown in the dumpster
It was Alec Guinness AND Ewan McGregor
Maz knows a guy who knows a guy who got her Luke's lightsaber
Yes it was the same lightsaber from ANH and Empire

Glad you survived the last two threads, buddy. It's good to see you. Once more unto the breach.

tumblr_nzvxc51nlm1v2w3lfo1_500.gif

New question for new thread: when we see Ren next, do you think he'll have some physical deformations after surviving the Starkiller's explosion and wounds from his lightsaber duel, or will he look the same as he did before?

but why did Kylo lose at the end doe

Because Rey had been seduced by the power of the Light Side of the Force. Snoke warned him it would happen, and his greatest challenge would be to resist the clarion call of easy power that comes from celebrating Life Day with your biological parents and not listening to enough Disturbed.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
New question for new thread: when we see Ren next, do you think he'll have some physical deformations after surviving the Starkiller's explosion and wounds from his lightsaber duel, or will he look the same as he did before?

I think he'll just have a huge scar across his face that resembles Snoke's.

Forgive me. I feel it again...the call from light. Supreme Leader senses it. Show me again, the power of the darkness, and I'll let nothing stand in our way. Show me, grandfather, and I will finish what you started.

best non-BB8 character tbh

Yeah he's great. I really thought they were gonna fuck him up before release and just be a dumb Vader rehash. And I mean, he kinda is an Anakin 2.0, but he has a complexity and presence that made all his scenes really compelling.

Like I really like his relationship with Hux, where Hux just doesn't respect him at all. That's more interesting than him just force choking dudes into submission.

Of course a new thread opens right as I leave the theater!

Thought it was awesome. Gonna need time to recompile all my thoughts, but I enjoyed it.

tumblr_nzw0ftSmgK1v2ndkio1_400.gif

I'm picturing Hayden Christenensen trying to make this work like Adam Driver did

I'm also just noticing how the lighting is a mix of red and blue, the Dark and the Light, and its only when the sun goes into the red does the turn happen

I really am not interested in technical discussion of how the force works or whatever, but I just wanted to say that the overly-star wars parts of the movie (i.e. those things that rely heavily on internal logic to star wars films instead of creativity or other logics) were the worst parts of the film for me.
1. Star Killer base thing
2. A couple of the wink wink nod nods to older film sequences
3. The whole genetic connection with the force and the eventual necessity they then have to explain some overly coincidental background familial story with Rey.

I really liked the film, but at times it felt like it having to rely on previously established star wars lore hurts my enjoyment of it. I hope Rey is related to noone and they never explain her back story. I hope they do not ramp it up with some other technological doomsday device.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
New thread hype. I've planned six or seven rounds for this movie in the cinema. Fourth time tomorrow, can't wait. HYPE.

It wasn't Coruscant
Smoke is probably not Plageuis

Sou Da

Yeah he's great. I really thought they were gonna fuck him up before release and just be a dumb Vader rehash. And I mean, he kinda is an Anakin 2.0, but he has a complexity and presence that made all his scenes really compelling.

Like I really like his relationship with Hux, where Hux just doesn't respect him at all. That's more interesting than him just force choking dudes into submission.

Really appreciate that he didn't kill any of his men.

I'm picturing Hayden Christenensen trying to make this work like Adam Driver did

I'm also just noticing how the lighting is a mix of red and blue, the Dark and the Light, and its only when the sun goes into the red does the turn happen

Yeah, his face has blue (white?) light as Han first speaks to Ren, then Ren's face is half white half red as Ren mentions being torn in two directions, then Ren's face is all red as he stabs sissy Solo.

Kinokou

Ah, new thread. I had terrified moment where I thought I was banned when I couldn't quote people in the previous one anymore.

I think he'll just have a huge scar across his face that resembles Snoke's.

He already reminds me too much of Snape in his appearance, let's not add Scar onto that :p

It wasn't Coruscant
Smoke is probably not Plageuis
Thread closed.

The whole scene was killer
no pun intended
. I even like how it mirrors the "I am your father scene". I loved how he tested himself by looking at his father without his mask on, giving him his saber, and then when everything goes dark he commits and passes his test.

The movie as a whole is really good with visual storytelling (although not fully devoid of some real bad expository lines). Rey's introduction in particular was a great sequence.

Kemal86

The Hux and Ren dynamic is great. They're squabbling brothers, basically. Ren is so desperate for fatherly love/guidance/respect and he looks to Snoke for that, while Hux tries to undermine/embarrass Ren in front of Snoke at every opportunity.

Top Bottom