• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Wait a sec. Who is going to translate for Chewie now? I guess 3PO can but hes not guna always be around like Han. Hopefully somebody else has learned Wookie.

Kinokou

My girlfriend just shared an interesting theory about Rey. For me it makes more sense than Rey being Luke's daughter abandoned by the strongest man in the galaxy for 15 years because he got depressed.

It's a bit of a soap opera, but any kind of theory that makes Rey the daughter of Luke or Leia is in the end pure soap opera material. Space soap opera.

Rey is Leia's daughter, but she is born after Kylo started to turn to the dark side which caused Leia and Han Solo to fight. Han Solo does what he always does as crisis management and runs away. Leia realizes she is pregnant, but in the light of the fact that Ben turned to the dark side and Han ran, she just can't see any better decision than to give Rey away. Nobody (Luke, Kylo, Han) is aware about Rey existence. Only Leia knows. And that would somehow explain the hug between Leia and Rey towards the end of the movie. Because Leia would know.

Nice, with Luke having the main villian as a father, a secret twin sister and a queen for a mother this isn't really much of a stretch in regards of soap!

How did Poe survive?

Assuming you want a straight answer: he was also flung away from the main wreck on his own.

More importantly, why did he leave the planet without the droid? The only reason they crashed was because he turned around to go back and get the droid.

Another plot detailed that bothered me a bit, why was Rey so enraged with the idea of Finn being a thief?

Of course, as I typed that out my head rationalized it as this: Rey didn't sell BB-8 because she thought she could get greater favors from his owner, Finn having stolen the jacket could mean that he could lead her to the owner or that he killed the owner and either way having an effect on whether she gets her prize money or not.

I guess Poe heard about the attack and escape or just plain gave up?
I think Phasma is a good guy, anyone agree?

Phasma could be a good fit for an internal rebellion leader/sleeper agent handler for Finn. Check my post history if you wonder what I'm on about.

Ovid

I think that sorta ruins his character if we're led to believe he left because his trooper programming was on the fritz. It invalidates his journey in TFA because he isn't just a good guy who didn't want to take part in massacres, he's just a broken toy. The Troopers obviously has free will and personalities, Finn just wasn't cut out for that life.

Yeah, makes sense.

I remember I mentioned it in Spoiler Thread #1, but, what do you guys think of Finn waking up and reverting back to his Stormtrooper ways?

I know the blow he took from Kylo Ren wasn't wasn't against his head, but what if the coma somehow "rewires" his brain and makes him revert back?

I'm pretty sure the stormtrooper brainwashing is not literal. They're raised from birth to be soldiers but it's not like they're literally programmed or whatever. Just very strict training.

Ben Solo is a dumb name

Fun thing is it literally means "Son of Solo" in Hebrew and Arabic. Obviously a coincidence though.

Ishida

Banned
Willing to bet Snooky is a completely new character.

He is not Plagueis and DEFINITELY not a revived Palpatine.

Solo being his father and luke his uncle didn't make him look up to them, but Vader who was a glorified lap dog?

Vader was powerful. Han isn't. Leia isn't. And Luke would've been preaching the peaceful tenets of Jedi, so he would've appeared to be weak by comparison to a petulant youth.

It was a pretty meh moment. The build up was gone since you have to be blind, deaf, and dumb not to realize she's a jedi 20% into the movie. It was supposed to be a big reveal but nope. Tried doing the whole surprise at the end and failed. Will never top I am your father.

Her grabbing the lighsaber was not a "surprise she's a Jedi!" moment since we already knew she was. Like you said it was slowly revealed. In fact I like how many moments could have gone for a "I am your father" twist reveal but were rather played off naturally, like Kylo being Han's son.

Trying to one up the Empire twist is a road that will just go down increasingly stupid developments.

I asked the same thing last thread. With what we're given in the movie, we have to assume that he overheard that the droid had been taken off-world the same way every bounty hunter we see immediately phones home with the information on sight (why the heck did they bring BB-8 everywhere instead of just keeping him hidden?)

Of course, I've also since found out there's an apparently canon novelization that actually covers what Poe did after the crash.

I think the novelization just says he left, I don't think it says why he left.

That's a solid theory though. The movie still doesn't explain it terribly well. It also seems like he would have had to have gotten off planet before Finn did if he were to go back to the Resistance base, get a new X-Wing, and go to the Maz Kanata planet but the passage of time in Star Wars works in mysterious ways.

DarkKyo

For real. Kylo comes from a good home with two loving parents.

Probably why he struggles with identifying completely with the dark side. His life clearly hasn't been hard or tragic enough to consume him with the hatred needed to stay the course, unlike Anakin and his brutal fall.

Her grabbing the lighsaber was not a "surprise she's a Jedi!" moment since we already knew she was. Like you said it was slowly revealed. In fact I like how many moments could have gone for a "I am your father" twist reveal but were rather played off naturally, like Kylo being Han's son.

It's supposed to be a surprise that's why all the misdirection with the advertising. It's very similar to that one other space movie where the villain was Khan but they kept it a secret even though it was super obvious. Internet wins again, Hollywood.

I'm pretty sure the stormtrooper brainwashing is not literal. They're raised from birth to be soldiers but it's not like they're literally programmed or whatever. Just very strict training.

"Re-conditioning" certainly seems to suggest something more akin to brainwashing than just strict training.

It's supposed to be a surprise that's why all the misdirection with the advertising. It's very similar to that one other space movie where the villain was really not Khan.

It's a surprise in that the marketing made it seem like Finn was the Jedi, but it was not played as a twist in the movie. We had seen her even using force powers before she pulled the lightsaber to her.

D6AMIA6N

Vader let Luke win, he could not be brought to kill his own son. If Vader wanted, he could have squashed Luke even when Luke started utilizing the dark side. At least that's how I always interpreted ROTJ.

Toxi

Banned
More importantly, why did he leave the planet without the droid? The only reason they crashed was because he turned around to go back and get the droid.
The word was out that BB-8 left the planet. Hence Poe basically had no chance of finding it. Might as well return to the Rebel base.

It's a surprise in that the marketing made it seem like Finn was the Jedi, but it was not played as a twist in the movie.

No. It was a twist, just a poor one. They kept the charade going til Finn gets knocked the fuck out. It's why he conveniently carries the lightsaber after Rey has a weird moment where she's like, "Oh no! I aint touching that thing again. Mhmmm"

DarkKyo

Vader let Luke win, he could not be brought to kill his own son. If Vader wanted, he could have squashed Luke even when Luke started utilizing the dark side. At least that's how I always interpreted ROTJ.

I dunno, Luke got pretty powerful once he started letting his emotions get the best of him. I think he had more hate in his heart during that fight than Vader did. I think Luke overpowered him at the end.

Toxi

Banned
No. It was a twist, just a poor one. They kept the charade going til Finn gets knocked the fuck out. It's why he conveniently carries the lightsaber after Rey has a weird moment where she's like, "Oh no! I aint touching that thing again. Mhmmm"
Did you miss the scenes where Rey showed Force powers, or how Maz told Finn to deliver the lightsaber to her? It wasn't a twist at all.

E-Cat

I honestly will never understand how seemingly over 75% of the internet can't spell rogue.
Relevant:
RougeLeader.jpg

tumblr_nzw0ftSmgK1v2ndkio1_400.gif

I'm picturing Hayden Christenensen trying to make this work like Adam Driver did

I'm also just noticing how the lighting is a mix of red and blue, the Dark and the Light, and its only when the sun goes into the red does the turn happen

The lighting was great there. Ovious, but neat.

And yeah, Driver was really good.

Again, no lol. She literally does the Jedi mind trick on a storm trooper and reads Ren's mind. Ren also says she is learning the force quickly. And this is also all after she gets the Jedi mind flashes and Yoda2.0 basically tells her she's a Jedi. It was not a shocking revelation.

W_Dreamer

I think the novelization just says he left, I don't think it says why he left.

That's a solid theory though. The movie still doesn't explain it terribly well. It also seems like he would have had to have gotten off planet before Finn did if he were to go back to the Resistance base, get a new X-Wing, and go to the Maz Kanata planet but the passage of time in Star Wars works in mysterious ways.

Poe said he woke up in the middle of the night after the crash, Finn doesnt open his eyes till well into the morning.

There's a scene where Rey and the droid are in town (before meeting Finn) and she sees a ship just launching into the sky for off-word - I like to think Poe was on that ship.

Vader could strangle people through the TV. Vader kicked Luke's ass in a lightsaber fight, and only when Luke let in his anger did he beat Vader later. Dude's powerful. I don't know why that's not clear to you.

No matter how I look at it, the only think I can think of that Vader had over the emperor or Luke was a cool voice

Effect

The more I think about this film the more conflicted with it I become. There are just to many things eating away at me and it's because of how the film is structured and the decision to simply not explain and show certain things in order to keep the focus on the film small. That has done a disservice to the film I feel.

The First Order should not be in any position of power come the next film I feel. They just unleashed hell on the galaxy with the Starkiller Base. Showed to everyone they're willing to kill billions of people unprovoked. Then right away their biggest known weapon is utterly destroyed. Any sense of power they might have put forth was quickly invalidated with their defeat. There should be blood in the water and everyone be it New Republic, neutral siding, or even former Imperial should be trying to remove them from the galaxy. There should be massive consequences for their actions by the time the next film's story starts.

Something tells me there won't be because that would involve adding elements some people hate. That is a larger universe and scope for the story. Actual politics between the factions (removing that entirely left a big hole and question in regard to what the Resistance position was. Why it was called that. Etc.) to explain the state of the galaxy. I know they wanted to remind people of the Empire and the Rebel Alliance but was a clear picture. That was a civil war. There are at least three different factions at play here and maybe more with no clear connection as to the true relationships between them. This very well maybe explained in the novels and comics and I think it is but it's certainly not in the film itself from the two times I've watched it. Actual world building would address a number of issues going forward but if there is none, like there largely wasn't any in this film, that's going to be a problem if one wants to think more about the films beyond the action sequences.

Ahahaha, that title. Nice.

Gonna see this again with friends soon, and with the bro, since he was the big Star Wars fan when we were kiddos. I can't wait!! So fuckin' good.

aliengmr

My girlfriend just shared an interesting theory about Rey. For me it makes more sense than Rey being Luke's daughter abandoned by the strongest man in the galaxy for 15 years because he got depressed.

It's a bit of a soap opera, but any kind of theory that makes Rey the daughter of Luke or Leia is in the end pure soap opera material. Space soap opera.

Rey is Leia's daughter, but she is born after Kylo started to turn to the dark side which caused Leia and Han Solo to fight. Han Solo does what he always does as crisis management and runs away. Leia realizes she is pregnant, but in the light of the fact that Ben turned to the dark side and Han ran, she just can't see any better decision than to give Rey away. Nobody (Luke, Kylo, Han) is aware about Rey existence. Only Leia knows. And that would somehow explain the hug between Leia and Rey towards the end of the movie. Because Leia would know.

The problem with that theory is there is:

1. There was very little reason to abandon her in the first place.

2. No reason not to say anything about it when they meet.

3. There is no reason not to inform the audience of Leia's inexplicable decision to ignore her own daughter.

4. Perhaps most importantly, Leia didn't have a parental reaction to her. She didn't even tell Han to bring her back, just their son. Finn is like the only one intent on saving her. At that point Leia had no fucks to give about Rey.

Kinokou

It's a surprise in that the marketing made it seem like Finn was the Jedi, but it was not played as a twist in the movie. We had seen her even using force powers before she pulled the lightsaber to her.

The marketing really fooled me to the point I was getting ready to boycott all things Star Wars if Rey didn't get to use a Light Saber. I'll admit it was a very feministically based concern but still I wouldn't have been able to handle the disappointment if she didn't.

Actually the gender balance in the film was really great in all regards with there being men and women within all fractions in the movie.
Maybe except the space gangs that went after Han?

I'm watching the Charlie Rose interview with Lucas. God I love George. He is talking about people abusing technology in movies. George, meet kettle.

Did you miss the scenes where Rey showed Force powers, or how Maz told Finn to deliver the lightsaber to her? It wasn't a twist at all.

Again, no lol. She literally does the Jedi mind trick on a storm trooper and reads Ren's mind. Ren also says she is learning the force quickly. And this is also all after she gets the Jedi mind flashes and Yoda2.0 basically tells her she's a Jedi. It was not a shocking revelation.

Still a twist, surprise, etc or whatever you want to call it. They hid what she really is in the marketing. Doesn't exactly play out as a surprise or twist but it is one even if they gradually warm up to it. Which makes it a bad surprise and a moment you can see coming from a mile away (or when she first gets established as the main character).

Was there any official discussion about this by someone from the movie yet?

Yeah, but it almost doesn't matter because when it's pointed out that Kasdan doesn't even know what a Plagueis is, and Abrams flat out denied Plagueis has anything to do with The Force Awakens, people go "yeah, but he lied about Khan" and try to kick the idea back into play.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm glad Rey is with Chewie and R2, not BB8. Hopefully both will be fine. I like BB8 but he's fine with Finn/Poe.

R2 is just great and I hope he gets some time in VIII.

The problem with that theory is there is:

1. There was very little reason to abandon her in the first place.

2. No reason not to say anything about it when they meet.

3. There is no reason not to inform the audience of Leia's inexplicable decision to ignore her own daughter.

4. Perhaps most importantly, Leia didn't have a parental reaction to her. She didn't even tell Han to bring her back, just their son. Finn is like the only one intent on saving her. At that point Leia had no fucks to give about Rey.

Leia also says she should have never sent Ben away. So why dump Rey?

Top Bottom