• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

DavidDesu

Real talk, I liked the movie but I think JJ should've stayed far away from the script. Dude writes everything to go from point A to point B as fast as possible and that's the exact opposite of how Star Wars as an entire franchise is written. Whatever, bring on Rouge One.

Thanks, man.

I dunno... If you really go back and watch the OT, they move hella fast (thank you Life Is Strange). They really do though. The plot moves incredibly quickly and they are all very simple stories that take place across a few key scenes in a few key locations. They're not 3 hour epics that dwell too long on any one issue or in any one place. To me TFA is exactly what a Star Wars film should be and what the best ones have always been.

Rey would be the least whiny Skywalker with the Force we have seen. I mean she gets a little whiny about the lightsaber at first but that is nothing compared to the rest of the family.

Meowster

Kylo Ren probably could have turned the tide of that fight if he was supposed to go in the for the kill with Rey. There was a lot of weight to his attack but nothing anywhere near as ferocious as his swings against Finn. The guy was just too emotionally weak and physically damaged to capture Rey at that point in the movie.

Pagusas

Elden Member
For real. Kylo comes from a good home with two loving parents.

Havnt you ever noticed in fiction (and real life) the kids growing up being treated like shit, shoved in broom closets, and overall completely deprived of nice things tend to grow up to be the heros/warriors of light/good peopl (Harry Potter, Matilda, ect) where as those who group up with good loving parrents who spoil there kids with niceness tend to growup to be assholes/evil villans/Hitlers.

W_Dreamer

Just wondering, how strong do people think Kylo Ren is?

He seems to be getting a lot of flak because a "stormtrooper janitor" actually cut him, and then get's beat by a "newbie force user" who just awakened her force powers for a day or so.

While at the end of the film Snoke finally reveals Kylo's training is indeed incomplete, it makes me wonder, considering Luke Skywalker in "Empire Strikes Back" was deemed in complete by Yoda as well, how would have the apprentice and padawan fared fighting against each other?

So Kylo Ren vs Luke Skywalker (ESB)

Thoughts?

Kylo can freeze energy and time and would be uninjured, Luke still wouldn't have had any swordplay training unlike Rey or Finn, Kylo would easily cream him. Kylo's strength just feels so much lesser than what it really is because of just how messed up he was in that final fight. But even then, if Kylo Ren wanted to kill Rey instead of capture her, I could see it happening.

Well despite the lack of Luke's lightsaber training, he STILL wasn't getting sliced up in his fight againt Vader which was pretty much 65-75% lightsaber duelling...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
She says Snoke lured Ben to the dark side and how she knew it was happening but didn't want to tell Han, and said that was why she wanted Ben to get trained with Luke. Then she says she would have never sent him away (to Luke).

Movies aren't written like that unless written poorly. Movie conventions tell us Rey is not Leia or Han's daughter from the way it was presented. The way things played out pretty much erase that possibility unless they have no idea what they're doing, which I doubt is the case with such a central character.

It's exactly how ANH was written in terms of Luke being Vader's son and Leia's brother. Who in the right mind would make brothers make out in the movie, no?

Meowster

Well despite the lack of Luke's lightsaber training, he STILL wasn't getting sliced up in his fight againt Vader which was pretty much 65-75% lightsaber duel...
The difference being that Vader was testing and playing with Luke throughout that entire fight until the last minute or so when he goes full ham, while in this scenario, Kylo probably wouldn't be doing that and would be going for the kill.

Some could say her rejecting the lightsaber is out of character, but she just saw a walking nightmare and his best friends kill a bunch of dudes. I'd complain then run away too.
Who is saying rejecting the lightsaber is out of character? That doesn't make much sense! It's ENTIRELY in character. She rejects it because she's afraid by embracing the lightsaber means she'll be giving up on her family.

Plus what she saw would scare just about anyone, as you said.

Toxi

Banned
Doesn't change my position. Kylo Ren lost to some pretty weak circumstances. You can chalk it up to mental and physical damage but that just shows how weak he really is.
Kylo Ren shows incredible raw power in the Force Awakens. Even Vader can't directly rip thoughts from people's minds; if he could, he wouldn't be using the torture droid to interrogate Leia.

Kylo Ren loses against an untrained opponent because
  • He's fucking shot.
  • The moment he's no longer in control, he loses his balls. Kylo Ren is a character all about putting up a tough image to cover up his insecurities. This is reflected in his visual design: He puts on a Darth Vader-esque mask for no reason but to cover his unimpressive face. That is why, even though he shows more raw power than Luke did in ESB, I think Luke from that movie would still beat him: Because Kylo Ren's greatest weakness is that underneath his whole Darth Vader persona, he's just a whiny kid.
  • Also because Rey has the Force and embraces it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I feel like you guys aren't remembering RotJ very well. The duel starts with Luke dominating Vader, then moves to Luke playing with Vader, then Vader pisses Luke off and Luke goes ham.

injurai

Banned
The former I completely agree with, but the latter? Not even close.

Well who then. I thought Finn was great as well. But I just don't think anyone quite came as close to him. He bore a lot of weight of his past character, and the emotions of events that happened over the time lapse.

Oh I don't know about that. Boyega and Ridley were both phenomenal.

If I had to rank.

Harrison > Boyega > Ridley

Bronx-Man

Banned
I dunno... If you really go back and watch the OT, they move hella fast (thank you Life Is Strange). They really do though. The plot moves incredibly quickly and they are all very simple stories that take place across a few key scenes in a few key locations. They're not 3 hour epics that dwell too long on any one issue or in any one place. To me TFA is exactly what a Star Wars film should be and what the best ones have always been.

I wouldn't call the OT fast-paced at all. It has fast transitions between acts, but the first hour of ANH is basically exposition, characterization, & world-building. Everything gets just enough explanation while still leaving some stuff to the imagination. TFA is a good movie, but everything is just action-action-action with not much room to breathe.

Meowster

If the theory about Rey being somebody-so-and-so (either a Skywalker/Kenobi/Jedi initiate) that had her memories of the force wiped, it would even make double sense for those visions to be evermore traumatic for her. Like ripping off a healed scab. But of course, that's just one possibility of many.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kylo is strong as fuck

as fuck

Toxi

Banned
A New Hope starts rather slowly with the Droids, and only speeds up once they reach Mos Eisley.

Well who then. I thought Finn was great as well. But I just don't think anyone quite came as close to him. He bore a lot of weight of his past character, and the emotions of events that happened over the time lapse.

Adam Driver gave the best performance

sml_x

Chewbacca was fuckin great in this movie

I feel like this isn't said enough. This was easily Chewie's best movie - he had great action scenes, got lots of laughs, and his rage freakout at the end was perfect. They also nailed the costume and mask. In Revenge of the Sith he looked like a person in a costume. Here he was a believable creature.

I also loved how they handled his sound design. When he's going around planting the explosives he sounds like a panting dog, and you can hear him sort of sniff the air when things start to go bad. I don't remember them doing this in the OT, or maybe it's just harder to hear on home video.

Kylo Ren shows incredible raw power in the Force Awakens. Even Vader can't directly rip thoughts from people's minds; if he could, he wouldn't be using the torture droid to interrogate Leia.

• He's fucking shot.
  • The moment he's no longer in control, he loses his balls. Kylo Ren is a character all about putting up a tough image to cover up his insecurities. This is reflected in his visual design: He puts on a Darth Vader-esque mask for no reason but to cover his unimpressive face. That is why, even though he shows more raw power than Luke did in ESB, I think Luke from that movie would still beat him: Because Kylo Ren's greatest weakness is that underneath his whole Darth Vader persona, he's just a whiny kid.

He eventually learns how.

"So... You have a Twinn seeestah. Your feelings have now betrayed her too."

Also this
4ea883db70f20ebbd5914c7d863072e1.gif

But most of that is probably robot hands. Maybe he forced Han to aim there.

Astral Dog

Say it with me now

Finn x Poe is canon. Finn x Poe is canon.

We already got a black lead, a female lead. Lets get ourselves a gay old time with a gay old lead!

Kylo would probably be the gay one tho.
I'll take what I can get and won't complain.

Kylo also strikes me as someone stronger in the force than with a saber. And his constant struggle to actually stay AWAY from the light side makes me believe that if he focused more on the "light" side part of the force he would be a truly devestating 'force' (hehehe) to be reckoned with.

He throws severe temper tantrums but I think thats more of a side effect of trying to embrace the dark side too much to the point where acts how he thinks he should act if it'll draw him closer to the dark. But I've never heard of a dark side character actually deeply struggle with the light for long periods of time and with very little outside help (Anakin only felt it after he met Luke and it only really got strong in ROTJ where he kept referring to Luke as son). That plus he's not trained in the light side or at least wasn't trained very well.

Like imagine Kylo being trained by Yoda. Holy shit he'd be unstoppable. A calm, meditated Ren would slaughter. Meanwhile Rey definitely seems more of the fighter. I hope they focus more on her saber skills and on Kylos force skills for an awesome rivalry.

And who will open Kylo Rens heart to the light? Finn.
Finn x Kylo is also an acceptable substitute to the Finn x Poe headcanon thats already headcanon in my canonhead.

We dont know anything about Kylo Ren to say he was not trained in the Light Side of the Force, when he supposedly was.(by Luke)

It could be that simply his training was incomplete as Snoke said.

ehh maybe i should have put emotional. Then again I was saying that she barely showed any outward emotional distress compared to the rest of the Skywalker family.
She cries at several points in the film!

- When Maz talks to her about her family.
- When she sees Han dying.
- While she's hovering over Finn's body.

And, um, all the times she look frightened, nervous, unsure of herself...

Well despite the lack of Luke's lightsaber training, he STILL wasn't getting sliced up in his fight againt Vader which was pretty much 65-75% lightsaber duelling...

Vader was clearly not trying to slice him up. Come on dude

It's exactly how ANH was written in terms of Luke being Vader's son and Leia's brother. Who in the right mind would make brothers make out in the movie, no?

That's because Lucas was making shit up as he went along. There's no reason to assume this trilogy hasn't been mostly planned out. Yes, some details were probably changed late stage (like Poe surviving the crash), but something as significant as Rey's parentage is most definitely already set

GhaleonEB

• He's fucking shot.
RE: mind rading. Vader reads Luke's mind at the end of Jedi, about Leia. I don't think he does in ANH because Lucas hadn't added that to Vader's abilities at that point. (Sort of how we're seeing Kylo do new things now as the writers think of them.)

I think we're going to see a continued expansion of what Force users can do through this series, above and beyond what they did in the OT (at least, I hope so). I'm not sure how to stack them in terms of prowess, though. Kylo Ren's signature ability in TFA is to freeze things in place - Rey, Poe, that blaster shot. Admittedly freezing that blaster shot in air was cool as hell but is it really harder than tossing huge objects about as in the OT? I'm not so sure about that. It's flashy, but Force pushes and pulls have been in the mix since the OT. Freezing is literally right in the middle of those.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Vader was just screwing with Luke the entire fight, probably testing his abilities to see how strong he was. He could have killed him at any time had he wanted to.

Toxi

Banned
He eventually learns how.

"So... You have a Twinn seeestah. Your feelings have now betrayed her too."
That's not really the same thing. Luke and him are very attuned to each other, as shown in other scenes like him sensing Luke in the shuttle.

But even if Vader could show that power, the point is that Kylo Ren shows all his power only when he's got everything going for him.

Also this
4ea883db70f20ebbd5914c7d863072e1.gif

But most of that is probably robot hands. Maybe he forced Han to aim there.
I prefer to think it was the Force instead of robot hands, because it's more badass that way.

Meowster

Daisy Ridley was the best in cast, with Adam Driver right behind her. The more I think about the little nuances Driver did with Kylo, the more I like his performance. He really gave some distinctive touches to Kylo Ren's physicality - that forward hunch of his, the impetuousness and impulsive movement. It was a great contrast to Vader.

Top Bottom