• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
20+ minutes of trailers before the actual movie. Quite lame.

Who do I blame for that? AMC? Disney? Both?
My work put together a private screening on the opening Saturday and we didn't get any trailers or commercials. It was: "You guys ready to start the movie? Okay let's go!"

Metalmarc

it's a shame this movie isn't getting it's own spin off video game, but then i suppose everything storywise in game, if it strays from the movie slightly would be considered cannon? so they have to be careful with the story i guess! Well there is that Disney Infinity FA playset, guess thats the nearest we will get.

Oh took my Brother to see it for the first time yesterday he is 22 and grew up in the prequel era and he loved it, so much so he is planning on taking his friends who havent seen it yet on Wednesday, it was great to see someone of a younger generation enjoying every beat of the film.

The Hux and Ren dynamic is great. They're squabbling brothers, basically. Ren is so desperate for fatherly love/guidance/respect and he looks to Snoke for that, while Hux tries to undermine/embarrass Ren in front of Snoke at every opportunity.

My only question would be, is Hux actually trying to embarrass Ren or is it just that every time he has a conference call with the Emperor Kylo's straight fucked things up again and he's left thinking, "How much longer are you going to make me put up with this asshat and his temper tantrums? I'm running out of rooms full of space monitors for him to fuck up."

Kinokou

New thread hype. I've planned six or seven rounds for this movie in the cinema. Fourth time tomorrow, can't wait. HYPE.

Hey, do me a favor and look closely on the storm troopers? I would like to know if they all have these melee sticks or if was just the one.

Also a question for this new thread, where do you think episode 8 will start? My two preferred options would be either a real time timeskip to reflect the real life timeskip between the trilogies or going straight from where it ended with Rey and Luke getting to know each other.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Real talk, I liked the movie but I think JJ should've stayed far away from the script. Dude writes everything to go from point A to point B as fast as possible and that's the exact opposite of how Star Wars as an entire franchise is written. Whatever, bring on Rouge One.

That was probably one of the stories, she learned that they real so she gave it a try I guess.

Nice to see you back.
Thanks, man.

D6AMIA6N

I am happy SW is relevant and good again. I'm hoping my son when he is born will also be a fan. I grew up on the OT, he'll be growing up on the ST. Very exciting.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey, do me a favor and look closely on the storm troopers? I would like to know if they all have these melee sticks or if was just the one.

Also a question for this new thread, where do you think episode 8 will start? My two preferred options would be either a real time timeskip to reflect the real life timeskip between the trilogies or going straight from where it ended with Rey and Luke getting to know each other.

Will do! I'm pretty sure TR-8R is the only one though :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My girlfriend just shared an interesting theory about Rey. For me it makes more sense than Rey being Luke's daughter abandoned by the strongest man in the galaxy for 15 years because he got depressed.

It's a bit of a soap opera, but any kind of theory that makes Rey the daughter of Luke or Leia is in the end pure soap opera material. Space soap opera.

Rey is Leia's daughter, but she is born after Kylo started to turn to the dark side which caused Leia and Han Solo to fight. Han Solo does what he always does as crisis management and runs away. Leia realizes she is pregnant, but in the light of the fact that Ben turned to the dark side and Han ran, she just can't see any better decision than to give Rey away. Nobody (Luke, Kylo, Han) is aware about Rey existence. Only Leia knows. And that would somehow explain the hug between Leia and Rey towards the end of the movie. Because Leia would know.

Real talk, I liked the movie but I think JJ should've stayed far away from the script. Dude writes everything to go from point A to point B as fast as possible and that's the exact opposite of how Star Wars as an entire franchise is written. Whatever, bring on Rouge One.

Thanks, man.
I honestly will never understand how seemingly over 75% of the internet can't spell rogue.

20+ minutes of trailers before the actual movie. Quite lame.

Who do I blame for that? AMC? Disney? Both?
AMC. The amount of Disney ads from my AMC showing were actually low. They just have to squeeze more and more into it. I really don't mind being advertised to, but having my senses being overloaded by Warcraft Orcs and super hero shit before the movie's even started is stupid. I actually had a headache before Rogue Nation even started which was 5x worse of a audio visual ad roll than Star Wars.

Ovid

I remember I mentioned it in Spoiler Thread #1, but, what do you guys think of Finn waking up and reverting back to his Stormtrooper ways?

I know the blow he took from Kylo Ren wasn't wasn't against his head, but what if the coma somehow "rewires" his brain and makes him revert back?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
where do you work? I'm jealous!
I'm an electrician and one of the ladies in the office puts together these "family day at the movies" a few times a year. It's usually an animated feature but they also did one for Jurassic World. TFA was the first one I've gone to.

The movie as a whole is really good with visual storytelling (although not fully devoid of some real bad expository lines). Rey's introduction in particular was a great sequence.

The prequels tried to have some visual symbolism too but obviously it wasn't as well done as in TFA:

G4FN1OSl.jpg

"This was the last time they spoke as friends. Anakin is standing in the dark, Obi-wan is standing in the light"

The movie as a whole is really good with visual storytelling (although not fully devoid of some real bad expository lines). Rey's introduction in particular was a great sequence.

That's something that kept crossing my mind in my second viewing, was how assured Abrams visual storytelling is, which is amitingly quite unusual for a Star Wars movie. Not just the really "cool" flowing shots, but just the attention to blocking and staging and shit. I think of the scene where Finn/Rey/BB-8 are trying to escape, the camera follows them into a hut, and Finn searches around for a blaster. The camera pulls back and he's doing his business in the middle ground, while Rey and BB-8 are in the foreground quickly talking. Finn then comes into the foreground when he hears the TIE Fighters, for that hilarious "Quit grabbing my hand!" gag.

There's another scene between these two in the Catina, Finn's confession to Rey. Its an over-the-shoulder back and forth to catch their reactions, and its done with Finn looking up to Rey literally and figuratively, with her in a position of strength and judgement. This worked really well with one of my favorite Williams tracks of the movie, and the dialog Boyega delivers is just right for this kind of thing. "So I ran, right into you. And you looked at me like no one ever had. I was ashamed of who I was."

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So is Han really dead? Will they clone him somehow? I really wanted him to go out in a blaze of glory with him and Chewy taking on a Star Destroyer in the Millennium Falcon, not getting stabbed by his little brat throwing a tantrum that he's not feeling evil enough.

I enjoyed the movie though. I would rate it a 7 or 8, but I give it a 9 or 10 because I got to see it in a theater with my brother and my 9 year old nephew who's never seen a Star Wars in a theater before. It's pretty infectious watching a Star Wars with a little one. They help you feel the magic and the raw emotions that movies have the ability to make you feel when you were young yourself.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I remember I mentioned it in Spoiler Thread #1, but, what do you guys think of Finn waking up and reverting back to his Stormtrooper ways?

I know the blow he took from Kylo Ren wasn't wasn't against his head, but what if the coma somehow "rewires" his brain and makes him revert back?

I think that sorta ruins his character if we're led to believe he left because his trooper programming was on the fritz. It invalidates his journey in TFA because he isn't just a good guy who didn't want to take part in massacres, he's just a broken toy. The Troopers obviously has free will and personalities, Finn just wasn't cut out for that life.

Sou Da

The prequels tried to have some visual symbolism too but obviously it wasn't as well done as in TFA:

G4FN1OSl.jpg

"This was the last time they spoke as friends. Anakin is standing in the dark, Obi-wan is standing in the light"

"Hey, have you noticed that Anakin wears black robes even though nobody else in the Order does?"

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just watched the entire Charlie Rose itv that was posted in the previous thread:

SomewhatGroovy said:
The above is a snippet. Here is the Full link http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60665244

And now I'm pretty curious to see what Lucas will make next. Smaller and more down-to-earth it seems, moving on from the "kid's stuff".

I can also see why he wouldn't really be into something like TFA, which he calls a 'retro movie'. I'd love to read the EP VII scripts he made

So is Han really dead? Will they clone him somehow? I really wanted him to go out in a blaze of glory with him and Chewy taking on a Star Destroyer in the Millennium Falcon, not getting stabbed by his little brat throwing a tantrum that he's not feeling evil enough.

dead as disco

And someone dared to call this moment cheesy and pandering the other day. It's going to be the iconic moment of TFA.

It was a pretty meh moment. The build up was gone since you have to be blind, deaf, and dumb not to realize she's a jedi 20% into the movie. It was supposed to be a big reveal but nope. Tried doing the whole surprise at the end and failed. Will never top I am your father.

How did Poe survive?

He's the ace pilot. Probably found a ship and went into space. HIS ABILITIES ARE SHOWN TO YOU.

More importantly, why did he leave the planet without the droid? The only reason they crashed was because he turned around to go back and get the droid.

I asked the same thing last thread. With what we're given in the movie, we have to assume that he overheard that the droid had been taken off-world the same way every bounty hunter we see immediately knows to phone home with the droid's location on sight (why the heck did they bring BB-8 everywhere instead of just keeping him hidden?)

Of course, I've also since found out there's an apparently canon novelization that actually covers what Poe did after the crash.

Solo being his father and luke his uncle didn't make him look up to them, but Vader who was a glorified lap dog?
Vader could strangle people through the TV. Vader kicked Luke's ass in a lightsaber fight, and only when Luke let in his anger did he beat Vader later. Dude's powerful. I don't know why that's not clear to you.

Top Bottom