• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

Le-mo said:
I caved in and bought the Move bundle last Saturday. I was surprised by how much fun I had with the game. Does anybody have any tips on calibrating the move controller? I noticed it wasn't accurate some of the times.

What i do at least once a week(had it since launch) is I go to accessory settings and I do the rotating calibration. I use like a preventive maintenance tool for drift or whatever else problem that may come up.

El-Suave

YianGaruga said:
So, what sports do yo want as DLC?
My picks:

Baseball, Tennis, Curling, Boxing

spats said:
Curling could be really cool actually.

I totally agree. That would be a pretty great winter themed download.

Too bad the other winter olympic disciplines don't lend themselves to serious Move simulation except bobsled maybe. You control your bob by pulling on two ropes basically. That should lend itself to using two Move sticks.

Thinking about (two) ropes controlling a vehicle brought me to parachuting. You also control a parachute by pulling on two ropes - think about how cool it would be to have a little Pilotwings action in HD, where you jump from a plane, pull the cord at the optimal time and then guide your parachute onto a target on the ground with two Move controllers.

scz88z.jpg

leng jai

Geez the more I play table tennis the worse I get. Its kinda depressing. I have the hardest time hitting any shots that in the middle of the table :lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
leng jai said:
Geez the more I play table tennis the worse I get. Its kinda depressing. I have the hardest time hitting any shots that in the middle of the table :lol

I just figured out how to return those the other day... holding the paddle vertically, directly in front of (parallel to) my waste, I start low and raise the paddle straight up in a vertical motion. It's a pretty solid return nearly every time. Tweeking the paddle position a bit during the move will let you put spin/direction on it. Occasionally you can hit it wrong and it careens off the table, but I'm getting better with it. A lot better than how I used to play those shots. :lol

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Le-mo said:
I caved in and bought the Move bundle last Saturday. I was surprised by how much fun I had with the game. Does anybody have any tips on calibrating the move controller? I noticed it wasn't accurate some of the times.
One thing I noticed that really messes up accuracy is when doing wild swings you may take the Move out of the PS Eye's view and it confuses the game and may result in something happening that shouldnt have happen. Since you only keep the move out of range for a second as you bring you hand back into view, the warning of the PS3 not detecting the moves doesnt show and you think all is ok with the world.

* I recomment the PS move is pointing at you with the widest possible view as possible.
* During calibration remember that the move doesnt like too much light
* If you have shiny floors be careful they dont reflect the move globe. Cover them up.

EDIT: wrote this hours ago forget to hit submit

AndyD

aka andydumi
El-Suave said:
I totally agree. That would be a pretty great winter themed download.

Too bad the other winter olympic disciplines don't lend themselves to serious Move simulation except bobsled maybe. You control your bob by pulling on two ropes basically. That should lend itself to using two Move sticks.

Thinking about (two) ropes controlling a vehicle brought me to parachuting. You also control a parachute by pulling on two ropes - think about how cool it would be to have a little Pilotwings action in HD, where you jump from a plane, pull the cord at the optimal time and then guide your parachute onto a target on the ground with two Move controllers.

scz88z.jpg

Just patch it into Go Sports! Skydiving:
skydiving1--article_image.jpg

I bought that game, kind of fun, I would be totally up for having it updated.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just want to add my dream game: ultimate frisbee. I want it to require the navcon and have the throwing controls of disc golf. I think it could be sweet, especially if you can run around with navcon and then use the lollipop to initiate dives or jumps/layouts.

Add in a dummy mode where the system runs for you, or something, for schmucks with a single lollipop and no navcon who don't want to use DS3.

EDIT: Nevermind. I was really late on that news.

Haunted DLC sounds really cool. I'll definitely be buying it. I wish it wasn't so expensive, though.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Got around to playing the Silver Cup in Table Tennis. Man it's fun! I love how I can really use my real life knowledge of the sport in the game. I am two wins away from 3 stars on the whole Silver Cup and only lost a few times in total. As the computer aids less, you really have to watch your shots, where you are positioned and the angle of your pad when you hit the ball.

It feels more like table tennis than anything I've experienced in the virtual realm. I really hope someone nails the Tennis experience like this too (Racket Sports demo was awful). Would love to see a proper solo table tennis game with this quality but with more challenges, cups and other things to enhance the longevity.

I love how the game tracks your statistics (and the amount of times you've shouted out, hah!) The more I play this game, the more I appreciate it. Really well done. Want to get a second move controller so I can play Archery (properly) and the Gladiator game.

Oh and I am getting the Haunted DLC :). Kind of wish they would have put more wacky characters in from the beginning. It would have given the game more of a personality.

ymmv

Banned
I love this game. I've only played two sports so far and now I can't stop playing table tennis. It feels like the real deal once you get to the higher tournament levels. You really feel like you're progressing, getting better at the game, finding yourself doing more intricate manoeuvres.

I can't wait for Virtua Tennis 4 for more tennis goodness. (and more workouts, table tennis makes me sweat in a good way :D )

Vlodril

Ok after finally beating Boomer in champions cup, in table tennis after 15 tries or so , its time to try another sport. I picked voleyball. All is well until gold cup and then it gets screwy. my underhand receiving of the opponents serve go to the other side instead of my teammate and i cant pass to him when using the hands over the head method. Its either going to the other side, going way high , out of the screen, and then drops down again or any smaller movement my char just doesnt pass and sits there looking stupid with the ball in her hands. WTH.. I just cant translate my real world experience with the game unlike with table tennis which the reason i lose is not being able to perform the moves i want , its they are catching everything i throw at them. Frustrating.

Ill try again and if nothing changes ill go for the duel game.

distrbnce

Banned
ymmv said:
You really feel like you're progressing, getting better at the game, finding yourself doing more intricate manoeuvres.

I get this same feeling from MAG. Even though other Move games are fun, these two games in particular rely on skill that you can feel yourself improving on, and it's a nice, rewarding feeling.

Thunderbear said:
I love how the game tracks your statistics (and the amount of times you've shouted out, hah!)

:O for real? I only looked at the stats briefly once... and now I'm at work. arg need online profiles.

haadim

Finally beat Kenji for Silver Cup in TT. Beat him in three. Final points were real tense. :lol

Immediately started playing Gold Cup TT and it's ridiculous!!

The more I play, the more I'm reminded of Demons' Soul.

At first it seems impossible to progress, but when you persevere you can sense your skills improving bit by bit.

Feeling of achievement hard earned is also similar.

Ashes

Banned
does the animation system improve during tt? mine skips, angles etc sometimes when I move my body sideways; basically around mid table?
ps. i consider my self an decent TT player in real life. Finished the first part, straight through... just annoyed that you can't whitewash them, even with the ai completely hand-holding.

Le-mo

So.....I kind of breezed through TT in bronze mode, but now I can't even get past the first stage in silver mode. :lol I suck in real life and in the virtual world. Need to ask some of my friends for assistance. On the flip side I managed to reach the gold cup in gladiator. Loving this game so far. At the moment I would rate the games in the following order:

Gladiator>TT>Bocce>Disc golf>Archery>Volleyball

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sorry if this was asked and I missed it:

I'm having this problem with archery and two Move wands: when I draw the arrow and bring it forward to meet the "bow" (blue) wand, the reticle snaps perfectly centered on my aim but the moment I pull the pink wand back to draw the string, my point of view slams straight down to the ground. I can't aim right.

What Move noob mistake am I making in my gestures?

besiktas1

I still can't beat the 2nd woman in the bronze cup :lol Also I'm a lefty and all I do is pat the ball to the right, to the left is too hard. Any tips?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Updated the OP (DLC)

Chris_C

krypt0nian said:
I'll get these skins when they are on sale.

Where is my Sony characters pack? I need Kratos in Gladuel!

mIND. BLOwN.

So, can anyone give me some tips on beating ACE 8000 in Gold Cup? I've been playing him for two days about 3-4 hours at a time, and I think my lower back is about to collapse in on itself.

I the words of Leeloo, "plEASE... HaaaaaaLP".

fuenf

Chris_C said:
mIND. BLOwN.

So, can anyone give me some tips on beating ACE 8000 in Gold Cup? I've been playing him for two days about 3-4 hours at a time, and I think my lower back is about to collapse in on itself.

I the words of Leeloo, "plEASE... HaaaaaaLP".

he's actually pretty easy if you can pull off the short serve that kenji does. just serve the ball with a lot of backspin and very little power, he absolutely cannot handle any short serves to his right. i had like 19aces in 3 sets against him, should have been more but i got nervous in the 2nd set and couldnt get the serve down anymore.

Chris_C

fuenf said:
he's actually pretty easy if you can pull off the short serve that kenji does. just serve the ball with a lot of backspin and very little power, he absolutely cannot handle any short serves to his right. i had like 19aces in 3 sets against him, should have been more but i got nervous in the 2nd set and couldnt get the serve down anymore.

Thanks, I'll try that!

DeadGzuz

Banned
Jeels said:
Edit: The calibration was way too confusing for my dad. :lol

My four year old mastered it after a few tries :D

I bought the $1.99 unlock code for the extra chars, well worth it. Unless you are a completest and will get everything for free, it is a great deal for those of us that will unlock next to nothing. You gets tons of content compared to the $5 Halloween DLC.

The caveman char is badass.

Shadow780

I'm stuck at Championship Boomer for a week now, she seems easy but just can counter anything I gave her, smashes, spins, near shots, far shots, and she baits me all the time with high balls, any tips? :lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm pretty disgusted with TT at this point... the game is so fucking cheap.

I'm required to stand so far back from the camera... or else my paddle clips through the damn table and there are all sorts of tracking issues. Fine, whatever... kind of hard to see but I'm playing well and only occasionally do I feel like I get robbed on a "whiff" shot that I thought should have been good. But for the most part it picks up the paddle well enough and not many complaints.

Until Kenji and his cunty dribbler serves.... I cannot return these. The game requires me to stand so far back!!! Moving in on the goddamned ball I have to adjust like 3-4 ft! And then it clips through the table and the camera wont track it right. Its retardedly frustrating. And so fucking cheap.

I'm pretty pissed off right now... I could throw the controller.

And I can't even do that shit back to him... I've been trying for over an hour and I cannot replicate that bitch serve.

Btw serving in this game sucks...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I played Disc Golf with a group of friends and we had a blast... So I decided to play the championship, and I'm hooked.

I love this game :)

chunk3rvd

I've been thinking of picking this up and after browsing the shops today I noticed that there are 2 different (PAL) boxarts floating around - one with an italic font and one without. Are there any difference between the 2 versions?

jax (old)

Banned
NPD Group data provided exclusively to Gamasutra shows sales of approximately 20,000 standalone copies of Sports Champions, a key first-party launch title for the Move system.

don't know if that's good or not. But in the US, SC is bundled... :p

Loudninja

Jax said:
don't know if that's good or not. But in the US, SC is bundled... :p
Given that standalone copies of Sports Champions would have generally sold to consumers who already owned the PlayStation Eye camera, this figure seems quite robust to us. We have indications that total Sports Champions sales were significantly higher than this 20,000 figure.

We estimate that total sales of Sports Champions, including accessory bundles and hardware bundles, reached into the 100,000 to 150,000 unit range during September 2010. However, precise figures are not – and probably will not ever be – publicly available.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6176/npd_behind_the_numbers_september_.php?page=3

jax (old)

Banned
Getting back into shape after the flu/cold/whatever, I've done some three starring in Table Tennis (didn't think I'd be able to hang with Championship right now, Boomer is extremely tough) and some Bocce and Disc Golf and crossed the 300 stars.

Then moved on to complete Gladiator Gold tonight ... it was much easier than I expected to be honest, and still great fun. I am so looking forward to more games like this - I definitely think I'll go for The Fight when it comes out.

Anyway, still loving this game. Still doing well on my friendslist also - out of 16 friends that have played this, I'm ranking two 1sts, two 2nds, a 5th (Archery, my nemesis) and 10th (Beach Volley, didn't play it much yet, just Bronze). And those 2nds are close seconds - someone on my friendslist is having a nice battle with me there, so I'll have to get them back soon. ;)

I hope sales pick up in the US over the holidays, would be good for Move support in the future. Stoked with the EU sales though, they look very healthy. It's a bit similar to how things went with the EyeToy back in the day, but I really hope Move becomes a global success - it definitely deserves to.

fixuis

YES!! Finally beat gold cup in table tennis, kanji really kicked my ass good :lol Now onto ace 8000 and then the championship cup. Had some amazing rallies with kenji. What an incredible game this continues to be. I never thought this would happen but I literally haven't touched any other ps3 game since I've started playing table tennis. I just can't Imagine a better table tennis game being made anywhere else. The final point I won was on a slice smash, you know, where you hold your paddle in a pen grip and return a low smash. It literally had to be a split second hand/eye coordination that could have pulled that off just like in real life. Incredible.

It's not pretending anymore. Change the OT title to "Sports Champions |OT| of Its Just Like The Real Thing" :D

fixuis

Sob, Im stuck on conner in ping pong champions cup. Must have played the bastard 50 times or so :lol . I'm also playing as conner. Have to beat this fucker.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
distrbnce said:
:O for real? I only looked at the stats briefly once... and now I'm at work. arg need online profiles.

Yeah! The more I've played this game -- I haven't had time to play it very regularly but every weekend I put a few hours into it -- the more I realize how good of a game it is and how much content there actually is in it. I just unlocked Champions Cup in table tennis which I didn't know existed and I have a great win/loose record which I attribute to having played a lot of table tennis as a junior.

For the end of the Gold Cup and all of the Champions Cup I've noticed it's much better to get into the rally and really pick your moments to have a crack at it. If you keep it going you can see a moment they are out of position or they'll hit a short ball and you can put it away.

Only thing that's bothered me is I can't save the "I Won" camera shots to the hard drive. Only can send it to Facebook, and then get it from there but that's only if you have the settings on in account management. If you are offline or don't have the settings on when you get there you've lost your chance to save it.

And another odd thing, I test out the camera in my XMB settings and the picture quality is way better... I wonder why they can't have that quality when you take the photo... If they released an HD camera (iphone4 quality at least) for a reasonable price I'd get it.

Top Bottom