• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

Hige

Is there a technique to playing archery with two move controllers? Sometimes my bow hand would be obscuring my view, and I would have to compensate by guessing where I'm aiming based on the momentum of my controller movement. I was nocking the arrows with my bow hand extended in front of me. I haven't played archery very much but I want to give it another try soon.

I still have to get into Archery myself - I can't hang with Silver right now, while I don't really have any problems with the other sports at all. But I'm quickly moving towards completing Gold on everything but Archery and Beach Volleyball, so I'll get back to it no doubt.

Is it just my friends list or aren't that many people playing Gladiator Duel as I am? On my friends-list all my positions are being fought pretty heavily (although not that heavily as I'm still high up, firsts and seconds, on the four games that I play a lot) but on Gladiator Duel I'm way up, just under 70.000 versus something like 30.000 for the next runner up! Maybe it's a dual Move thing? I love gladiator duel, it's such a great fitness exercise. I just completed Gold on that.

* I put this post in the move thread but actually it belongs here
(sorry for double post in two threads)

===Copied from other post
So I spent some time with Gladiator in Sport's Champions.

One thing I fleshed out a bit was the usage of Sword and Shield (blocking, parrying, striking).

If you master the art of Parry then you won't need to block with your shield as much.

Basically, by parrying (deflecting or striking your opponents weapon) you can get a "free" heavy strike in on your opponent as long as their sword and shield aren't in the way.

When your opponent blocks your sword strike with a shield... and your sword arm is staggered by the block that is really the time when you need to block with your own shield arm because the AI usually strikes back. Otherwise, its almost always better to read your opponent attack and parry it.

Certainly at gold level it becomes harder and harder to "read" the opponent movement. Which leads to frantic blocking with shield. However, even then if you play against the computer AI enough times you will be able to read or predict their attacks and parry.

After you get parrying down well you will feel like a fencing master since they will attack, be deflected, and you strike them in the head.

Parrying can be done as simply as holding your sword out like a shield and deflecting or as complex as striking to interrupt their attack.

Its worth studying this if you like Gladiator and it really adds to the game fun.

Broke down and got Sports Champions delivered today after ordering it on a 20% off sale. I thought I didn't want it when I got move, but I'm glad I have it now. It's also vindicated my dual motion controller purchase decision.

It's already a boatload of fun. Too bad about online, though.

consoul

Just experienced a glitch in Disc Golf.

Threw the disc at the 'hole', it looked like it was going to go high and bounce off the top, but it went into the chains just under the cap. No sparks went off to indicate the hole had been completed and the disc stayed hanging in the upper chains. After a few moments the HUD displayed my shot details (how far I had thrown the disc etc.) and as it did so the disc fell from the chains into the bottom of the hole. Again, no sparks went off. Then it set me up for another shot with the disc mysteriously placed on the ground 2 metres from the hole. Argh! I ended up losing the match by one shot because it failed to recognize that I'd completed the damn hole. Not cool.

master15

Outside Gladiator duels and odd archery game I've been playing table tennis almost exclusively.

I ran into walls both in Silver and than Gold championship before finally beating Kenji. Midway through championship mode and I totally, adore this.

Even though I've sworn at TV more times I would like to admit, few games are as tense when approaching a deuce and hitting that winner with lighting fast reflexes.

I would kill for a fully fledged table tennis game.

Edgeward

I think I'm finally getting the hang of disc golf, kinda helps I was going for the hole in one trophy. :lol

But all I usually play is tennis until my second move controller comes in. Fuck Kenji. How can I do those crazy shots he does?

Anyone picking up the reverse holes add-on for Disc Golf ($2.99)? Just wondering how much diversity it adds... They really just need new courses.

expy

Banned
Edgeward said:
I think I'm finally getting the hang of disc golf, kinda helps I was going for the hole in one trophy. :lol

But all I usually play is tennis until my second move controller comes in. Fuck Kenji. How can I do those crazy shots he does?

Only managed that once... in the demo.

tzare

just purchased a move controller and tried the demo for this game. Seems fun, but this game should have online multiplayer AND it should use PS Home 'avatars' instead of those dull characters.

Snipes424

Went back to SC tonight and finally completed gladiator Duel on Champion cup. The
flaming war axe
looks awesome.

It's pretty amazing what kind of workout you can get during Gladiator Duel.

Now I just need Bioware/Lucas arts/ some company that can make Star Wars games put out a lightsaber duel for Move.

jayb

Disc golf Challenge mode is pretty fun with two controllers!

Has anyone gotten the 5000 point trophy on it yet? That one's going to be tough for me. The key seems to be getting the multipliers, but my aim isn't that great yet.

tzare said:
just purchased a move controller and tried the demo for this game. Seems fun, but this game should have online multiplayer AND it should use PS Home 'avatars' instead of those dull characters.

PlayStation Home characters are less dull?

I suppose when they're dressed as Chewbacca...

AndyD

aka andydumi
get2sammyb said:
PlayStation Home characters are less dull?

I suppose when they're dressed as Chewbacca...

Right. If anything we need a nice pack of clothes and stuff so that they feel more personal. But I think overall they are OK. My wife does not like the fact all the women have giant boobs though. I think there is just one who looks relatively normal.

The fourth dude on table tennis champion cup is ridiculous. I thought I found his weakness, but the next match it was like his strength. I'm talking about the big Samoan guy. Literally seems like he returns every single hit. It was frustrating enough for me to put the game down, and maybe for good. Shit's just cheap at that point.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
CartridgeBlower said:
The fourth dude on table tennis champion cup is ridiculous. I thought I found his weakness, but the next match it was like his strength. I'm talking about the big Samoan guy. Literally seems like he returns every single hit. It was frustrating enough for me to put the game down, and maybe for good. Shit's just cheap at that point.
How did you beat the blonde lady? She returns everything as well :-/

cakefoo

marc^o^ said:
How did you beat the blonde lady? She returns everything as well :-/
Chop shots/backspin- she'll stay mostly on the defensive if you do that. Then when she starts to get a little out of position, slam it out of her reach.

Agent X

tzare said:

I don't mind the cast of characters, although I wish they used more speech. They rarely utter anything other than a few laughs, grunts, and groans.

I do wish they would allow you to use Home avatars, in this game as well as others. I've said that many times in many threads here. It's yet another missed opportunity to make the game feel more "personal" to the player, especially knowing that Wii Sports and Kinect Sports both make use of players' custom avatars.

jayb said:
Disc golf Challenge mode is pretty fun with two controllers!

Has anyone gotten the 5000 point trophy on it yet? That one's going to be tough for me. The key seems to be getting the multipliers, but my aim isn't that great yet.

I haven't gotten 5000 yet. I think my highest is around 3600. I believe Beatbox (a.k.a. eFertLISdotcom on PSN) has this trophy. I agree that getting multipliers is the key; it's especially important to retain the multipliers, since a missed throw resets it.

I did get the hole in one trophy a few weeks ago, though. :D

jayb

Agent X said:
I haven't gotten 5000 yet. I think my highest is around 3600. I believe Beatbox (a.k.a. eFertLISdotcom on PSN) has this trophy. I agree that getting multipliers is the key; it's especially important to retain the multipliers, since a missed throw resets it.

I did get the hole in one trophy a few weeks ago, though. :D

I got it later that night after I posted my question. :D

Slowing down to make sure I hit the multipliers is what did it for me.

anddo0

cakefoo said:
I beat Rin in Champions Cup TT today. She was a piece of cake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-UoA20BUYM

Dallas on the other hand, I've got to figure him out. I may need to work on my backhand for him.

Dallas on gold level?

He gave me fits. I found gold level surprisingly easy until I faced him. The key to beating Dallas is outlasting him. He'll eventually beat himself. He makes it almost impossible to do power shots (at least on gold lvl). He'll return everything, keeps every shot low, just drags the game down to a crawl. I hate that dude.

I played Beach Volleyball with a friend (one motion controller each) and it didn't feel too precise, but maybe it wasn't calibrated correctly, it felt more like we were triggering basic actions. My obsession is Move and Gladiator + Archery. With two move controllers it's so accurate and I feel like I'm really doing what I see on screen, something I can't say Wii accomplished despite the fun.

I love the Gladiator challenges, so addicting.

cakefoo

anddo0 said:
Dallas on gold level?
No, Champions Cup difficulty. D:

He keeps sending the ball to my left, which does not please me.

He gave me fits. I found gold level surprisingly easy until I faced him. The key to beating Dallas is outlasting him. He'll eventually beat himself. He makes it almost impossible to do power shots (at least on gold lvl). He'll return everything, keeps every shot low, just drags the game down to a crawl. I hate that dude.
Maybe CC Dallas has the same weakness. I'll keep this in mind next time I play (might not be til Thursday).

recklessmind said:
I still can't return Kenji's dribbler serve.
Go up to the net and scoop it from under. Then get back from the net before he returns it, the sneaky bastard.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
bought

important question: I have only 1 Move for now, does this game let you 'take turns' (like wii sports) so that multiple people can play with one controller?

jayb

Snuggler said:
bought

important question: I have only 1 Move for now, does this game let you 'take turns' (like wii sports) so that multiple people can play with one controller?

you can pass the controller in disc golf and bocca. but table tennis, gladiator, volleyball, and archery require two controllers since you're playing at the same time in those games.

theBishop said:
I would buy Sport Champions if it had ONLINE.

Table Tennis online with voip shit talking would be worth the price of admission.
Really doing yourself a disservice, even solo its an amazing experience and tons of fun. Back to working up the ranks and triple starring Gladiator I go.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
theBishop said:
I would buy Sport Champions if it had ONLINE.

Table Tennis online with voip shit talking would be worth the price of admission.
Sports Champion would be a GOTY contender if it had online: gameplay fondations are that good. Without it, it's still one of the very best sports game. It's highly challenging in solo and a good title to boot with friends.

cakefoo

Dallas and Belle went down in Champions Cup TT :D

Belle was always hanging back defending my smashes like it was a piece of cake. So I started doing soft lobs and serves followed by a smash, and she couldn't handle that.

master15

Yeah playing table tennis on championship mode is a real task. I've been diving and running around my living room like a mad men.

Finally beat Connor after probably 20 times :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
this is pretty fun

Maybe I'm just boring but I'm most into Bocce so far. It's relaxing. I'm just having a cold drink, playing some Tom Waits on the custom soundtrack and having a nice time. This game is fun. I also like the table tennis, but haven't put much time into it yet, same with frisbee golf. The gladiator game is fun but it seems to get old pretty fast. I like the idea of the volley ball game but it doesn't feel right with only one controller. I haven't tried archery yet, but it's another one that seems kinda 'meh' with only one move.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Some one on my forum found this:

You're now supposed to be able to disable assistance in bronze mode table tennis.
Server dependencies has been reduced in order to handle more players.

That's what the in game rolling text says btw.
I assume the server thing fixes the leaderboards

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anybody heard anything about additional games being offered as DLC or should we just be expecting the typical character skins?

Massa

I'm officially done with this game. Really enjoyed it.

Table tennis is the only sport that really grabbed me, as I expected before going in. I guess the others would be more fun in multiplayer, but playing against the CPU just feels really dull.

Winning the bronze-silver-gold cups was really satisfying, it was great getting every possible star there. The fourth cup you unlock though... it's like the AI is programmed to be as annoying as possible. I only beat the first two opponents there and can safely say I'm now officially done with this game.

marc^o^ said:
Sports Champion would be a GOTY contender if it had online: gameplay fondations are that good. Without it, it's still one of the very best sports game. It's highly challenging in solo and a good title to boot with friends.

I agree!

KAL2006

Banned
Sony need to announce Sports Champions 2 with online and voice chat support, also a way to watch your opponent after the match (what was recorded with PSEye). They also need a better presentation for the game, and they need to add Bowling, Boxing and Tennis.

master15

Any advice on how to beat Kenji on Championship mode?

I can lead by sometimes 3 or as high as 5 but that fucker always pegs me back and ends up winning. Any ideas?

Top Bottom