• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sports Champions |OT| of Pretending to Play Sports

amtentori said:
Wii on launch day =/= motion plus. have you played table tennis or frisbee on wii sports resort?

it doesnt do depth perception in itself, but it can calculate depth using gyroscopes. Have you played frisbee games on wii sport resort? if I wind my arm back (without tilting or pointing at the screen) the frisbee on the game tracks that motion. THAT IS TRACKING MOTION IN THE Z AXIS. again, it is not being tracked with a camera, but it is doing 3D motion. if the wiimote was able to recalibrate without having to get pointed at the screen (which is done automatically on wiisports resort whenever the wiimote sees the sensor) there would be no drift, like there shouldnt be using the move because it is always recalibrating using the camera.

so again, to people WHO HAVE PLAYED BOTH GAMES, are there any obvious accuracy benefits to move over M+. The issues with motion plus comes from drift, which is definitely an issue when say playing a long rally in table tennis because you wont be able to recalibrate for a while.

No it is not tracking in the Z axis. It is using the interia from the gyros to simulate movement, but it it is not tracking accurately. You're just not listening or you're mixed up in some way. This is coming from someone who has both games in front of him.

2lt56b6.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
Marty Chinn said:
No it is not tracking in the Z axis. It is using the interia from the gyros to simulate movement, but it it is not tracking accurately. You're just not listening or you're mixed up in some way. This is coming from someone who has both games in front of him.

Ok. I agree with this statement. it is not "tracking" it is "calculating" depth based on inertia. saying it cant do 3D motion in any way is not correct though, it is going to far and just confuses people. Move should certainly do it better because it is actually tracking.

Having played both games, does the tracking translate to much more accurate gameplay. (ignoring drift)

amtentori said:
Marty Chinn said:

Ok. I agree with this statement. it is not "tracking" it is "calculating" depth based on inertia. saying it cant do 3D motion in any way is not correct though, it is going to far and just confuses people. Move should certainly do it better because it is actually tracking.

Having played both games, does the tracking translate to much more accurate gameplay. (ignoring drift)

Yes, it does. It's night and day in accuracy.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Marty Chinn said:
Yes, it does. It's night and day in accuracy.

Thanks. (short answer though >.<)

I think some of the appeal of the original wii setup was how simple it was to pick up and play. swing, flick, swing terribly whatever, it worked and anyone could play and have fun. With M+ i feel some games became less casual friendly because even though accuracy was increased, it became much more complicated to deal with things like recalibration.

Based on your experience does the increased accuracy of move bring it back to the pick up and play side? or is it so accurate (and games expect that accuracy) that it might become to challenging for new comers?

El-Suave

Finished the Silver Cup in table tennis last night and three star-ed everybody so far eventually. The last few matches have been brilliant.
From a pure gameplay perspective I haven't had this much fun with a game for a long time. Can't wait to see what this developer does next for the Move.

Edit:
Kenji's short serves aren't a problem so far. On the contrary, you can cross them easily, so it allows you to be dominant through the rally usually. I stand pretty close to the table anyway apparently.

amtentori said:

I think some of the appeal of the original wii setup was how simple it was to pick up and play. swing, flick, swing terribly whatever, it worked and anyone could play and have fun. With M+ i feel some games became less casual friendly because even though accuracy was increased, it became much more complicated to deal with things like recalibration.

Based on your experience does the increased accuracy of move bring it back to the pick up and play side? or is it so accurate (and games expect that accuracy) that it might become to challenging for new comers?

That really depends on the game and implementation. Table Tennis for example uses assists to make it more Wii like in the beginner levels where as the more difficult ones give you more control. So in a case like that, the increased accuracy without the assists would make it harder to pick up and play, but even then, there is something to be gained from having the assists and the increase in accuracy in the Z direction.

In something like Tumble, placing pieces with the increased in accuracy makes it easier to deal with than what you would have to deal with on the Wii which makes it in a way easier to pick up and play.

So it really comes down to how it's being used and the implementation. There is nothing in the Move that would prevent it from being casual friendly despite the increase in accuracy. Developers just have to be smart about it and if they want, they can make it less precise to help compensate.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
As a big M+/Grand Slam Tennis/WSR fan, I can report Move/Table Tennis offers a whole new level of accuracy. The ability to walk close to the net or step back 2 meters from the table makes a big, big difference in terms of gameplay possibilities. You could somehow recreate it with buttons (as in Gran Slam), but not as well (you couldn't step back on the left, then seamlessly move on the front right). With Move, you walk in your room and your character follows your position.

Besides it may come from better programming but the recreation of your basic gestures (spin, etc.) feels more precise in this game.

jax (old)

Banned
Corto said:
I think we need to make a poll to know how many of us play this game on our underwear. :lol :lol :lol

actually I did.

and I can't figure out how to delete the pic because not only was I posing like a spaz. I was also grabbing my crotch. So now its just saved on my move SC profile

YIIIKKEES!!

Belfast

amtentori said:

That's great, but I just don't think that Waggle does anybody any favors. Maybe I'm "one of those guys." I can't see the thrill in just shaking something around and things happening on screen. I want to be challenged on a reasonable level, to learn from the experience, and become better.

Games can offer a helping hand at first, but I don't want them dumbing down the whole experience, which is why I can't fathom having any lasting fun from something like Wii Tennis.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how violent, and two-player friendly is Gladiator Duel?

Looking at videos there doesn't seem to be any blood, but lots of being knocked through the air. Wondering if its suitable for my 9-yr-old, with my 6-yr-old probably watching. They have play swords from legoland already :)

And in two players, any problems having enough room to swing properly without knocking each other? It seems like it encourages big movements.

jax (old)

Banned
mrklaw said:
how violent, and two-player friendly is Gladiator Duel?

Looking at videos there doesn't seem to be any blood, but lots of being knocked through the air. Wondering if its suitable for my 9-yr-old, with my 6-yr-old probably watching. They have play swords from legoland already :)

And in two players, any problems having enough room to swing properly without knocking each other? It seems like it encourages big movements.

Haven't played 2P but there's no blood. The game is family friendly. The characters all wear protective gear as is. I'm guessing 2P play will be fine as there' more than enough room in wide angle mode to have to players standing side by side.

Toki767

I found plenty of space when playing two player since if you're playing it correctly, you'd be in a sort of fighting stance so that you're almost facing sideways instead of straight ahead.

The most violent thing with gladiator dueling I've managed was knocking someone out of the ring and sending them flying into a large torch bowl (not sure what they're called) and setting them on fire (although you don't actually see any animation of them being on fire).

Mad_Ban

I will beat Kenji for this silver TT championship, damnit!!!

I keep on trying to overpower him with hard shots, but they usually end up missing the table. That and I always seem to mess up a few times on return serve, usually gifting him a point. :(

*waves farewell to GAF and joins a tennis academy*

Turrican3

amtentori said:
so again, to people WHO HAVE PLAYED BOTH GAMES, are there any obvious accuracy benefits to move over M+.
Please note: I have only played the demo version of Sports Champion, so my experience is definitely limited.

Table tennis: on the PS3 it seems the developers went for a more realistic gameplay, while on the Wii it feels more "pick and play", meaning that it feels like a more guided experience i.e. it's more difficult to miss the ball, and the physics applied to it, for example when you *really* try a lob is less simulative: but I guess it's just a software limitation on the wii motion+ side. Move has a little bit of lag, but it's almost a non-issue for me.

Disc golf: definitely feels better on the Wii; maybe it's the 30fps vs 60fps, I don't know. Here I can actually feel some lag with the Move, not almost game-breaking like in Tumble, but it's hard not to see it.

amtentori said:
Wii on launch day =/= motion plus. have you played table tennis or frisbee on wii sports resort?

so again, to people WHO HAVE PLAYED BOTH GAMES, are there any obvious accuracy benefits to move over M+. The issues with motion plus comes from drift, which is definitely an issue when say playing a long rally in table tennis because you wont be able to recalibrate for a while.

Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Shaqq2kjHw

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
disappointed in the pointer accuracy in most demos, but the fact that it feels rather smooth in the Sports Champion menu makes me hopeful for better pointer games later.

Most everything in Sports Champions is great, especially Bocce. Really need to get a second controller though.

DangerousDave said:

table tennis is no doubt improved over WSR, but this video doesn't really show it, shaking the controller still seems to get a return, just the game is less forgiving in where the ball ends up.

Xav

methane47 said:
Mann i'm so far removed from games these days..!!

Didn't even realize Move came out yet...
I went to my friend's house and I was like "What's that weird looking thing over in the corner of the room" and he said "PlayStation Move". I was like "WTF, it's out?".
Maybe it's me but it feels like Sony did a bad job getting the word out when Move was actually coming out.

Redbeard

Banned
amtentori said:

it doesnt do depth perception in itself, but it can calculate depth. Have you played frisbee games on wii sport resort? if I wind my arm back (without tilting or pointing at the screen) the frisbee on the game tracks that motion. THAT IS TRACKING MOTION IN THE Z AXIS. again, it is not being tracked with a camera, but it is doing 3D motion. if the wiimote was able to recalibrate without having to get pointed at the screen (which is done automatically on wiisports resort whenever the wiimote sees the sensor) there would be no drift, like there shouldnt be using the move because it is always recalibrating using the camera.

I'm asking how big the difference in motion tracking is when M+ is calibrated properly. My guess is that it should definitely be better, because of the continuous tracking with the camera. Im am wondering if this translates to the games in an obvious way.

I own Wii Sports Resort and didn't find the difference to be all that large over Wii Sports. Certainly nowhere near as large as the gap between WSR and Playstation Move.

Just watch this footage, the leap is huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqi2eaY_gZ0

levious said:
table tennis is no doubt improved over WSR, but this video doesn't really show it, shaking the controller still seems to get a return, just the game is less forgiving in where the ball ends up.

Of course it get a result. What kind of motion controller will be, if waggle it doesn't give any return?

Check the video that Redbeard just added. 00:50, to see how WSR don't get any kind of positional information, only orientation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqi2eaY_gZ0

Angst

So this is now the WSR vs Sports Champions OT? :-/

Firewire said:
This thread is about Sports Champions not the motion controller comparison bullshit.
I knew I should have refreshed before posting. :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Please don't turn the OT into a Wii vs. PS3 thread. :(

Anyway, I just found out Bocce and Archery are "sitting-friendly" (meaning I don't need to stand to play them).

farnham

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Please don't turn the OT into a Wii vs. PS3 thread. :(

Anyway, I just found out Bocce and Archery are "sitting-friendly" (meaning I don't need to stand to play them).
the title is pretty much provokating that situation though.

darkwing said:
hmm so people are complaining about the calibration? looks like they never played WSR :lol
i play it all the time and you only need to calibrate once per session

levious

farnham said:
i play it all the time and you only need to calibrate once per session

depends on what you're playing, anytime it asks you to point at the screen in the sword game it's calibrating for example.

jax (old)

Banned
there's only 1 person in this thread... and in the OT that's making it all about WSR vs Move. And that's amtentori.

let's all just stop that bullshit

Played some more SC. Volleyball is great. Took me awhile to get that I should do the double arm hit (whatever its called) the ball over the net instead of constantly doing a setup but its works flawless. Something about that beach is quite soothing.

+

I'm not playing any more of my favourite game mode (gladiator) til I can find myself a 2nd move wand.

haadim

Played disc golf with my wife today. She never was a gamer and this was her first taste.

Long story short, she loved it. Probably owing to her becoming good at it real fast.

Personal proof that Move is capable of roping in "the casuals" I think.

ryan-ts

I kind of find it depressing to see people so excited about this game, have you guys ever played the real thing? Actual table tennis is even more fun, so much more fun infact that it if you found yourself really enjoying the table tennis it would be worth your time to not only purchase a table but also find some people to start a little table tennis league. You could make it happen every Tuesday evening at 7pm. Think about it, thats all I ask.

farnham

Banned
levious said:
depends on what you're playing, anytime it asks you to point at the screen in the sword game it's calibrating for example.
with recalibrating i meant putting the wiimote down for 2 secs. not pointing at the screen.

Angst

ryan-ts said:
I kind of find it depressing to see people so excited about this game, have you guys ever played the real thing? Actual table tennis is even more fun, so much more fun infact that it if you found yourself really enjoying the table tennis it would be worth your time to not only purchase a table but also find some people to start a little table tennis league. You could make it happen every Tuesday evening at 7pm. Think about it, thats all I ask.
Because everyone has the room for a table tennis game in their 35 square meters apartments... And a beach volley ball field as well of course.

levious

farnham said:
with recalibrating i meant putting the wiimote down for 2 secs. not pointing at the screen.

but pointing at the screen is one of the calibration sequences.

jiggles

Banned
ryan-ts said:

332nzt1.png

Or something.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
ryan-ts said:

Yes I've played table tennis and it's obviously more fun but what if:

1. The person doesn't have access to a nearby table tennis area? My local club has table tennis but the they close at 10 P.M. What if I want to play say... 11 P.M. when I'm in the mood to play it? Also it saves the hassle of driving and looking for a partner whereas I can play solo and compete with an AI whenever I like.

2. The person has no access to play table tennis at all.

The real thing is definitely fun but accessibility is also important. SC is a very good substitute in my opinion.

Bradach

i was playing the archery in SC last night and i was thinking of oblivion. my character in Oblivion was an archer (mainly) and i got a lot of enjoyment from sneaking around the outskirts of an oblivion gate and sniping the monsters wandering around. some sort of move enabled RPG with SC type archery would blow my mind!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
ryan-ts said:

Yea, but you can't do it at home for most people, and you gotta find a table, which is not always conveniently available.

And stop being condescending. I've played table tennis in real life. Didn't stop me from having fun in Sports Champions.

rinse82

I'd actually rather play table tennis on my tv to be honest. That way I don't have to chase down wayward ping pong balls.

ryan-ts said:

What is this? I have a ping pong table and play it but that doesn't stop me from having fun playing the game. I don't have enough space to constantly have it open and set up in the garage so with this I can just turn on my TV and play by myself. Come on down off your high horse and have fun with the rest of us.

Top Bottom