• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

I don't understand how Satsuki leaving her daughter behind, which isn't the only damning thing against her character, can be downplayed to such an extent to be honest.
She loves her daughter dearly? I guess it is shown when she sends a picture of herself having fun after leaving her daughter? "Hey, my dear and loved child, look how much fun I'm having after I sent you living with some people you didn't even know, nor did they even know you!".
Or maybe it showed when she came back to Tokyo but didn't contact her daughter "I love and think of you so much, it slipped my mind to let you know I was back and wanted us to live together again. I was just about to contact you too, I swear!".
Wait, it must have been when, under pressure of Ohana admitting she always kept it in because she understood work was important for her mother, Satsuki basically said "My beloved daughter, it's your problem you were more mature than me, not mine". Yep, that must have been it.
Satsuki really loves and cares about Ohana, so much so that she can just keep going about her life not knowing if her daughter is doing well or not.
Afterall, who has time to worry about some little girl when there are "studs" to bang, work to do and romantic stuff to experience?

iavi

zeroshiki said:
Humor me.

Doesn't seem like anyone else sees whatever it is you see. Do we have to go to your fanfiction.net or deviantArt account to find out?

If you really can't see it, you need to watch the whole last ep over and catch the conversations between Satsuki & Ohana. The one on the hill where Satsuki actually says, out of her mouth, that she came to the inn because of Ohana.

Then really make sure to catch that roundtable, cause thats when everything I'm saying is gone over. Ohana realizing that all three of them are trying to 'fest' it up, and Satsuki saying that Ohana's finally realizing her trying.

Niether Ohana, nor Satsuki wanted that image of a horrible mother to be broken, but it did this episode for Ohana.

And Satsuki sees how silly it is, but wants it to remain anyway. Asking the grandma, while she was being carried away, to remain "The mother she always hated."

It's not about what we were shown, as much as it's about what we're supposed to interpret.

Izayoi said:
Baccano! 1-16 - SUGOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIII

What a fucking fantastic show. Why can't all anime be like this?

You're really late you know. When I watched it like 2 months ago now I thought you were going to start watching with me. :|

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
You're really late you know. When I watched it like 2 months ago now I thought you were going to start watching with me. :|
Well, I'm starting Durararararara now. Arveene told me to watch Buccano first so I did.

UberTag

Izayoi said:
I would appreciate it! I routinely force myself through terrible shows and can still get at least some sort of entertainment from them, usually. It would be so much better if I could just watch anything and have it be good, though. ;_;
With 15+ years of quality anime available to watch online, why would you force yourself to watch crappy cliched drivel from 2011 until you've sought out all of the much better stuff?

Izayoi

Banned
UberTag said:
With 15+ years of quality anime available to watch online, why would you force yourself to watch crappy cliched drivel from 2011 until you've sought out all of the much better stuff?
I've seen ten times as much "old" anime as I have new. Tons of stuff from the 80's and 90's. I'm more trying to catch up with new stuff right now, as almost everything "old" that people recommend I've already seen.

iavi

Izayoi said:
After C and Ano Hana I'm ready for pretty much anything at this point.

Durarararararararara had a ton of promise. I don't feel like they had enough time slotted to fully let it show though. It ends basically begging for a second season.

If it got that second season, I wouldn't have many complaints. The show's not too bad as is. It's definitely worth a watch.

Izayoi

Banned
Well, I see why he wanted me to watch Baccano first. Definitely some stuff I would've missed.

Good to see that Horo gets plenty of screentime as well.

Defuser

Miri said:
Durarararararararara had a ton of promise. I don't feel like they had enough time slotted to fully let it show though. It ends basically begging for a second season.

If it got that second season, I wouldn't have many complaints. The show's not too bad as is.
That's provided they got enough materials from the novels.

Fuck that I want my Spice and Wolf season 3!!

iavi

Defuser said:
That's provided they got enough materials from the novels.

Fuck that I want my Spice and Wolf season 3!!

Aren't the novels way ahead of the anime at this point though? I remember seeing a volume cover that had a cast almost completely different than who the show dealt with, save for a few leftovers.

iavi

Erigu said:
[Durarara!!]

I read somewhere that the TV series covers volumes 1 to 3, out of nine so far.

Oh, wow, then they definitely have enough material to go ahead with another season(or two sheesh) if they wanted. I hope they do. I'm down for some more durrarararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararararara

Izayoi

Banned
Izayoi said:
WHY IS IT SO SEXY
Listening more, I think part of it is because she always sounds so tired. It's like she speaks in one big, long sigh. Melancholic girls are just so dreamy, you know?

Jex

Izayoi said:
Well, I'm starting Durararararara now. Arveene told me to watch Buccano first so I did.
Well at least you get more episodes of Dur, even if it's not nearly as good.
Izayoi said:
I've seen ten times as much "old" anime as I have new. Tons of stuff from the 80's and 90's. I'm more trying to catch up with new stuff right now, as almost everything "old" that people recommend I've already seen.
Sounds like someone needs to drop a list!

Risette

A Good Citizen
airmangataosenai said:
How in blue blazes is Nichijou so unpopular? Easily the funniest thing Kyoani's put out since Fumoffu.... maybe even funnier.
Fumoffu must not be very funny then. Looks like I can continue declaring K-ON as the only good best KyoAni series without watching Fumoffu.

Jex

airmangataosenai said:
How in blue blazes is Nichijou so unpopular? Easily the funniest thing Kyoani's put out since Fumoffu.... maybe even funnier.
A comedy show lives and dies but whether or not it's funny.

Humour is subjective.

Lots of people find Nichijou to be unfunny and therefore boring.

A boring comedy is a bad comedy, therefore people have no interest in it.

duckroll

Oh man, that's really funny. Nichijou funnier than Fumoffu? Hahahahahahaahahahha. That comment itself is funnier than Nichijou. Lolz.

tiff

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Now I'm torn on whether to start the manga or not. On one hand, I want to know what happens. On the other, I don't know how comfortable I feel about actively reading a series like this :/
You watched a show like this, yeah?

Blue Exorcist 6-9

Started 10 but kept falling asleep. Didnt realize the show was on hulu, or else I wouldnt have fell behind. Rin is cool though it was starting to get annoying when he wouldnt use his sword for episodes in a row. I hope dude with the staff gets a bit more screen time, as well as the dude thats hooded and plays psp. Though they arent even featured in the opening, so I wonder if they just arent main side characters.

Steroyd

airmangataosenai said:

SlapandBail.gif

Blasphemy! Nichijou dosn't deserve to be in the same sentence as.

Fumoffu.

Have those of you criticizing the show continued to watch it or did you drop it early on? I had my doubts at first too but it won me over around episode 8 or so.

Perhaps the Fumoffu comparison was excessive but I really feel this is their best work since that show. No doubt you'd at least agree it's better than Lucky Star (Although that isn't saying much), correct?

Steroyd

airmangataosenai said:
Have those of you criticizing the show continued to watch it or did you drop it early on? I had my doubts at first too but it won me over around episode 8 or so.

Perhaps the Fumoffu comparison was excessive but I really feel this is their best work since that show. No doubt you'd at least agree it's better than Lucky Star (Although that isn't saying much), correct?

I'm still watching it, but for every 1 funny moment there's about 10 dull ones.

Lucky Star is at least consistant, if you liked the first few episodes you're sure to like the rest, with Nichijou it's hit and miss with a higher chance of a miss, or a predictable Yukko troll which is getting old now, because they're doing it too much, instead of moving onto the many other characters they've introduced.

On that note.

Nichijou - 13

Only thing I can take out of this ep, is that from the next ep onwards theoretically Yukko won't be the only one who's trolled, now that Nano's going to school, however this is theoretical so I'm taking the wait and see approach.

duckroll

http://i.imgur.com/rFYuo.png

More specific Penguin Drum staff revealed (new roles are bolded).

Concept/Director/Series Composition: Kunihiko Ikuhara
Original Character Design: Lily Hoshino
Character Design: Terumi Nishii
Script: Takayo Ikami
Chief Director: Shouko Nakamura
Assistant Director: Mitsue Yamazaki

Music: Yukari Hashimoto
Animation Production: Brains Base

Pachael

airmangataosenai said:

Maybe because it's so normal.

(Actually, I seem to see folk getting their story appetite done via HanaIro and S;G so perhaps that's diverted the attention?)

duckroll

Penguin Drum is a story about:
- two brothers and a sister
- a penguin who suddenly comes along
- the New Marunouchi Subway Line
- the past and future of this world

Lol Ikuhara.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
7Th said:
EXCITEMENT +100

duckroll said:

Lol Ikuhara.

Show of the forever.

/XX/

duckroll said:
Chief Director: Shouko Nakamura
Good! That is going to be her most important role in a production yet, no? And without Mr. Umakoshi been involved. I remember fondly the work she made as a freelancer for Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, including some beautiful illustrations for publications and such. I hope she keeps gravitating around GAiNAX (and Mr. Imaishi's) projects, although this seems a very appropriate series for her, and with this key position! Pretty cool!

Steroyd

Kaiji - 12

Wow it was like Narrator guy just ripped up his script and ad-lib'd on raw passion, he nearly burst out of the screen. O_O

Jex

duckroll said:

Lol Ikuhara.
Holy shit. Of course.

cajunator

Banned
Nichijou kind of reminds me of Galaxy angel in that the comedy is very hit or miss and seems forced sometimes. Is it from a 4 koma?

mAcOdIn

Miri said:
Aren't the novels way ahead of the anime at this point though? I remember seeing a volume cover that had a cast almost completely different than who the show dealt with, save for a few leftovers.
Well each book is basically in a new town so outside of Holo and Lawrence there's going to be a new "cast."

But yeah the books are ahead but the books are also done now so they could actually catch up.

I want Spice and Wolf 3 as well damnit!

airmangataosenai said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmzNKrfaifg

I'm alone in finding this hilarious? I agree with most of GAF on most other things comedy related. I realize comedy is a subjective thing but how can you hate Yuuko?

No, you're not alone. I find that and many other segments in Nichijou hilarious and amazing to look at. Its animation and visual gags are quite impressive. To be fair though, not every segment in Nichijou works so well and its overall style of humor is hit-or-miss, so I can understand why people are tepid towards it. I wouldn't say it's as good as Fumoffu, but I do appreciate it for being a step back from KyoAni's directly otaku oriented shows such as Haruhi and Lucky Star. Some people here have reacted with glee to Nichijou's poor DVD sales and said that KyoAni's finally "learned their lesson", but if they take any lesson away from that I suspect it'll be that they need to stick to their cash cow franchises, which would be a sad fate for such an obviously talented studio.

cajunator said:
Nichijou kind of reminds me of Galaxy angel in that the comedy is very hit or miss and seems forced sometimes. Is it from a 4 koma?

No, it's a straight up manga. I haven't read it, but word on the street is that the anime is an improvement.

duckroll

/XX/ said:
Good! That is going to be her most important role in a production yet, no? And without Mr. Umakoshi been involved. I remember fondly the work she made as a freelancer for Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, including some beautiful illustrations for publications and such. I hope she keeps gravitating around GAiNAX (and Mr. Imaishi's) projects, although this seems a very appropriate series for her, and with this key position! Pretty cool!

Yeah, Ikuhara are definitely giving the various staff members chances here to take on heavier responsibilities. It's going to be interesting. After all, many of the people who helped him make Utena what it was, weren't major players before that either. It's somewhat nice to see that he isn't falling into any sort of comfort zone where he just reassembles the same staff to make a new show. It makes the new production more unpredictable imo, and not knowing what it expect is pretty exciting for once.

cajunator

Banned
I love Shinkai's art style but often fall asleep watching his movies.
It isn't that I hate them though, I just...fall asleep. Like every time. I cant help it.
The same thing happens every time I watch Castle in the Sky, despite it looking very interesting. Maybe its the pacing?

iavi

mAcOdIn said:
Well each book is basically in a new town so outside of Holo and Lawrence there's going to be a new "cast."

But yeah the books are ahead but the books are also done now so they could actually catch up.

I want Spice and Wolf 3 as well damnit!

Haha, I was actually talking about Durarararara in that post, but a conclusion on Spice & Wolf would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom