• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Calcaneus said:
So, does Trigun really get better after the first few episodes? I bought the series because it was pretty cheap, and because its a classic and all. But man, I'm just not getting into it at all. The humor just doesn't work for me at all. I know shit gets real partway through the show, but I have no motivation to keep watching.

You clearly haven't met Wolfwood yet.

Calcaneus said:
So, does Trigun really get better after the first few episodes? I bought the series because it was pretty cheap, and because its a classic and all. But man, I'm just not getting into it at all. The humor just doesn't work for me at all. I know shit gets real partway through the show, but I have no motivation to keep watching.

Depends how much a fan you are of Cerebus Syndrome. I think it gets better when shit gets real.

Articalys said:
I wonder if it was an intentional parody of that artstyle.

Man, I need to get started on this combined anime/games backlog I have. Doesn't help that there's more than a few 26-episode shows and 30+ hour JRPGs in there.
It definitely intentional. Wakaki is a huge gamer and parodies and references tons of games in the Manga.

Calcaneus said:

Try the manga version.

Jex

Calcaneus said:
Kind of, but overall it's an above average show, rather than a 'classic'.

Defuser

firehawk12 said:
---

Gintama 214: A boss conclusion to a boss arc. In fact, it's the most bossy-bossness I've ever witnessed in years and singlehandedly restored my faith in anime. It turns out anime can be good and fun... who knew?
eQzvv.jpg
9hNjR.jpg
GRjjP.jpg
ZTICQ.jpg
HiNdO.jpg
0Pwk1.jpg
o4Anf.jpg
SG9gT.jpg

wyrv7.jpg

Blader

Every time I see something from Gintama, I think, "Hey that looks cool, maybe I should watch" but then I wiki it and remember it's over 200 episodes long. =\

Defuser

Blader5489 said:
Every time I see something from Gintama, I think, "Hey that looks cool, maybe I should watch" but then I wiki it and remember it's over 200 episodes long. =\
Once it a while there will some serious arcs but most of the time it's self contained from 1 to 2 episodes so it make it easy for people to jump in anytime. You can start from the beginning of gintama' 2011 which is episode 202.

Jex

Saigo no Sutāfaitā

It's not often that things are better than you remember them, so that's always a nice treat.

Blader5489 said:

200 is nothing. That's like 70 hours. Not even a full game of Persona 4.

Instro

Jexhius said:
Kind of, but overall it's an above average show, rather than a 'classic'.
Its a classic in the sense that it's one of those shows that got a lot of attention with westerners who were relatively new to anime at the time. Or something like that. In retrospect, its not great nor is it bad, its just good.

Instro

Uchip said:
its mostly the setting that was interesting in Trigun
cant name many good western themed anime
Hm yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There should be more western themed anime, or futuristic western(or is it space western?) stuff like Outlaw Star. I dont see that very often.

Instro said:
Hm yeah, I was thinking the same thing. There should be more western themed anime, or futuristic western(or is it space western?) stuff like Outlaw Star. I dont see that very often.

There's a ton of western/space western manga. There's also a bunch of anime, but harder to find good stuff.

duckroll

Instro said:

How about Gun x Sword? Gun Frontier is also a pretty great Leiji Matsumoto scifi western.

Instro

cosmicblizzard said:
There's a ton of western/space western manga. There's also a bunch of anime, but harder to find good stuff.
It seems that way, not that I've ever really looked into it though.
duckroll said:
How about Gun x Sword? Gun Frontier is also a pretty great Leiji Matsumoto scifi western.
I've heard of them, I can't say I know much about either though other than the names. Worth watching? I think I have one of them on my list of things to watch at some point.

iavi

Tales of the Abyss 6-8

It amazes me how they went from a piece of shit as insufferable as Luke, to someone as awesome as Yuri, with just the next game, cause Luke is that bad, jesus. I'm getting to the complete
replica
reveal, so he's been as confused and whiny as ever.
But, you know, when I think on it, it's kind of understandable. He is mentally challenged manchild that had to play catch up due to the fact that he is
a blank-slate replica.
Still, it annoys me to no end.

The story is over the hump that was it's beginning, so it's actually getting pretty interesting.

e: I'm reading that Vesperia is the second entry after Abyss. Interesting, I never knew that.

Articalys

Jexhius said:
Tiger and Bunny 13

So when are these two guys going to make it out?
It seems like, for series where the two lead characters are female, a large majority of official art like posters, magazine spreads, etc. is going to have some sort of yuri overtones to it, yet for series with two male lead characters it's not nearly as high of a frequency. Which is funny since I thought the yaoi market was a bigger audience than the yuri market.

Then again Star Driver had this, so I dunno. Maybe I'm naturally filtering it out.

duckroll

Instro said:
I've heard of them, I can't say I know much about either though other than the names. Worth watching? I think I have one of them on my list of things to watch at some point.

I would totally recommend Gun Frontier. Very unique and cool. Gun x Sword kinda sucks though.

Jintor

Holy shit. I finally got around to watching Rebuild of Evangelion (2.22 anyway) and why didn't anybody tell me that Anno finally got around to making Eva awesome?

iavi

Jintor said:
Holy shit. I finally got around to watching Rebuild of Evangelion (2.22 anyway) and why didn't anybody tell me that Anno finally got around to making Eva awesome?

Because Eva's always been awesome.

Jex

X-Men 12

And thus ends what will presumably be the only good Madhouse/Marvel project, outside of the Iron Man trailer.

I don't think that psychic confrontations that take place entirely inside the minds of characters make for particularly interesting finales. Well, they could do, but this particular one involved more talking and extending arms longingly then actual combat. All those other superhero designs sure were neat though.
Jintor said:
1) There's a large thread on Evangelion 2.22 and the internet in general has been singing it's praises for a long time.

2) Because it's worse than the TV series.

Jintor

Yes, but I stopped paying attention to anything because it was like "Another version of Eva? Goddamnit"

I needed someone to slap the blu ray in my hands and say 'watch this goddamn show'

which is what happened

Instro

duckroll said:
I would totally recommend Gun Frontier. Very unique and cool. Gun x Sword kinda sucks though.
Ok cool. From premise alone the latter doesn't sound as good, but as long as it isn't boring it seems like it could be decent enough to watch. Definitely will check out the Gun Frontier though.

Jintor

Gotta say though, very glad I watched Eva all those years ago. It feels a bit like watching Game of Thrones, where you know roughly what's going to happen but you watch it to see how they do it. Not to mention what they change.

The pacing at movie speed is awesome.

iavi

Jintor said:
The pacing at movie speed is awesome.

I thought it was pretty horrible actually. They expect you to have seen the show, to even begin to be able to tell what's going on. It moves much too fast.

Jex

Jintor said:
I like it fast. Less dicking around.

I could do with a little less gratuitous fanservice though
Then you'd have to erase the whole movie!

Of course, in terms of sexual fanservice, Evangelion has always 'gone there' and I agree that they push it a little too far in this one. Ideally you'd have none at all.

Jintor

Mind you, I did find the reverse nakedness sequence in the apartment absolutely hilarious. I have to say the moments when the animation warps comedically are really quite funny, if slightly out of place.

It was really nice just to see the kids being, well... kids.

One Outs 11

Lots of math up in this bitch. I'm surprised these people can stay consistent within a fraction of a second every time they hit/run/pitch/etc.

mAcOdIn

Miri said:
They've got you right where they want you! Turn back, there's still a chance!
You have to learn that sometimes people just want the best for you and when they do just let go and let them have their way with you, savagely, because it's for the best.

Articalys

InfiniteNine said:
AnimeGAF's favorite VN is getting released in the US along with some other titles!

http://i.imgur.com/CHl63.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I saw the list in the "English translated VN" topic. Saya no Uta excepted, how obscure are these games on the obscure-o-meter?

Articalys said:
I saw the list in the "English translated VN" topic. Saya no Uta excepted, how obscure are these games on the obscure-o-meter?

All VNs are obscure outside of Japan...including Saya no Uta. I only know about that game from GAF, nobody has ever talked about it anywhere else I frequent.

Articalys

Unknown Soldier said:
All VNs are obscure outside of Japan...including Saya no Uta. I only know about that game from GAF, nobody has ever talked about it anywhere else I frequent.
Hmm... I wonder what went into choosing those particular five then, if they're all equally not well known.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Articalys said:
Hmm... I wonder what went into choosing those particular five then, if they're all equally not well known.
They all have translations that can be bought off someone. Sumaga's patch isn't public, and Django is a surprise since there was never a public project for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom