• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

airmangataosenai said:
Have those of you criticizing the show continued to watch it or did you drop it early on? I had my doubts at first too but it won me over around episode 8 or so.
Eight episodes is a lot. Even so, I remember most people here posted that they'd watched a few episodes before dropping it like a rock.

NewFresh

cajunator said:
I've been meaning to check out a few series. What are Gaf's impressions on Tatami Galaxy, Durararrararraraara and Bakemonagatari?

Strange in a good way. It is pretty popular and I think a lot of people like it

iavi

cajunator said:
I've been meaning to check out a few series. What are Gaf's impressions on Tatami Galaxy, Durararrararraraara and Bakemonagatari?

haha, I'm not the only one who goes crazy on the rararara!

Anyways, they're all worth a watch. Ranging from amazing-alright

kind of like this

Tatami Galaxy- hmm. Just watch this one. It's amazing.

Bakemono- better written harem than most, with supernatural elements to boot. It can be slow at times, but the characters are fun, and it never gets hung up for too long.

Durararararararara - I'm having a hard time coming up with a quick n comprehensive impression on this one. You could actually go back a page in this thread and see my general feeling on the series.

mAcOdIn

cajunator said:
Tatami Galaxy is recognized as being good, wasn't quite my type of show but most liked it and it is generally considered one of the best from that season, Durararararara is more mixed probably due to not living up to Baccano's quality, I didn't really like it at all, but it has its fans and detractors and Bakemonogatari is probably more divisive with some people loving it and others hating it, overall I'd say I like this one the most but I think it gets pretty lame and tiring in the second half.

Really I think all 3 are worth giving a shot but I think Tatami Galaxy is the best one out of those three but I had the most fun with the first half of Bakemonogatari.
Miri said:
Haha, I was actually talking about Durarararara in that post, but a conclusion on Spice & Wolf would be awesome.
Everything comes back to Spice and Wolf to me.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
Eight episodes is a lot. Even so, I remember most people here posted that they'd watched a few episodes before dropping it like a rock.

Eight episodes of anime is about as long as Fellowship of the Ring. Lol. So he's basically saying "it gets better in the sequel!" maybe?! Lololol.

iavi

Tales of the Abyss 1-5

This adaptation isn't as bad I was led to believe. It definitely doesn't suffer the pacing, or presentation issues VC did, so if anything; I'd say that a lot of my momentary issues stem from the source material itself.

Tales of the Abyss is a just hard one to get into. The whole cast, save for mieu, is unremarkable, and almost grating at times. The story's swaying towards alright-bad side of the usual Tales fare, so far. And the art direction, while also being pretty usual Tales, just isn't all that great.

I'm still enjoying it though.

mAcOdIn said:
Everything comes back to Spice and Wolf to me.

They've got you right where they want you! Turn back, there's still a chance!

Toriko 11

Holy shit at the regal mammoth. It takes a lot for me to be impressed by scale because most series convey it in shitty ways, but you can easily tell that thing is massive as fuck.

I also like how Devil Athletics is basically boss rush mode in anime form. Wonder what reason a bunch of high level beasts have to stand on a pillar all day.

Jex

Hanasaku Iroha 13

This was a pretty great episode, I bet firehawk12 will have hated on it for no apparent reason. Just kidding!

So, what are they gonna do for the rest of the show? Fanservice?

Marco 6

This monkey is as good as the monkey from Kemonozume. Maybe even better. I don't say this lightly.

TWGOK II 12
Our Goddess Yokkyun descends from the heavens finally! Loved this gag chapter in the manga and I think manglobe did a pretty good job with it. So many references. They were teasing a 3rd season at the end but I don't think it'll happen.

iavi

Hellsing321 said:
TWGOK II 12
Our Goddess Yokkyun descends from the heavens finally! Loved this gag chapter in the manga and I think manglobe did a pretty good job with it. So many references. They were teasing a 3rd season at the end but I don't think it'll happen.

Our great goddess Yokkyun has already graced us with her presence, iirc.

A third season would be fun. I really don't see it happening, but I'd watch.

Risette

A Good Citizen
cajunator said:
Great, mediocre, garbage. In respective order.

Steroyd

Miri said:

If a third season were to happen they'd have to make it long running like Beelzebub, Fairy Tail etc.

Miri said:

Yeah but this one they went all out with the Keyderp.
RkF1hl.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Miri said:
It's not about what we were shown, as much as it's about what we're supposed to interpret.
I figure it's just easy to cut this both ways. The mother is horrible at the beginning because the writers wanted an out to create the "oh, she's not that bad" arc that we get in 13. It was choreographed the moment that the mother ditched Ohana because it's just that kind of show.
The fact that they go out of their way (short of flashing a sign at the bottom of the screen) to say that they are all the same person is meant to make it clear that there it's the only reading they want you to have.

Hellsing321 said:
TWGOK II 12
S1 was a bomba of Wario proportions, so...
Still, I guess the only way to end a show/season like this is to just do a non-story related random episode that isn't really a part of the continuity. Ah well. At least this show had that one good episode from a few weeks ago.

---

Gintama 214: A boss conclusion to a boss arc. In fact, it's the most bossy-bossness I've ever witnessed in years and singlehandedly restored my faith in anime. It turns out anime can be good and fun... who knew?

Articalys

Hellsing321 said:
http://i.imgur.com/RkF1hl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I wonder if it was an intentional parody of that artstyle.

Man, I need to get started on this combined anime/games backlog I have. Doesn't help that there's more than a few 26-episode shows and 30+ hour JRPGs in there.

Neo C.

firehawk12 said:
Gintama 214: A boss conclusion to a boss arc. In fact, it's the most bossy-bossness I've ever witnessed in years and singlehandedly restored my faith in anime. It turns out anime can be good and fun... who knew?
*evil grin after slashing 4 dozens of enemies*

/XX/

Jexhius said:
This monkey is as good as the monkey from Kemonozume. Maybe even better. I don't say this lightly.
You sure mean that the other monkey is as good as Marco's one, right, Jexhius? Also, I have always seen the series in Spanish (so many good memories) so I want to know... is it also called Amelio in the original version?

iavi

Steroyd said:
If a third season were to happen they'd have to make it long running like Beelzebub, Fairy Tail etc.

Manglobe's yet to do something that runs any longer than two seasons, but Manglobe needs that money, so idk. I'm seeing this seasons blu-rays chart decently. Maybe?

Hopefully.

Hellsing321 said:
RkF1hl.jpg

Haha, I need to watch that like now.

Firehawk12 said:

Hahahaha! Firehawk, you jaded Gintamrade of mine. I'm finding myself falling off the path more and more lately too, to be honest.

-----

Gintama 214

Like Firehawk stated above me, this ep really brought to light what makes Gintama so great. It's both fun, and moving, seamlessly. We didn't really get the Gintoki flaring I was hoping for, but they moved through the arc without waste. So I don't have any major complaints.

The next episode looks as if it's going straight into another serious arc. HYPE.

Jex

cajunator said:
Great, average, and very good. I'd write more on them, but each of them are are interesting in their own way.
/XX/ said:
You sure mean that the other monkey is as good as Marco's one, right, Jexhius? Also, I have always seen the series in Spanish (so many good memories) so I want to know... is it also called Amelio in the original version?
Yes!

Steroyd

Miri said:
The next episode looks as if it's going straight into another serious arc. HYPE.

Don't you mean TROLL.

They probably blew all their budget on that latest episode, and they're back to bitching with the same background again. :lol

Izayoi

Banned
Jexhius said:
Sounds like someone needs to drop a list!
There's no way I could list everything off the top of my head, and I don't keep track of it anywhere. If you name something I could probably tell you if I had seen it or not, though.

Unknown Soldier said:
You know you just replied to yourself, right?
I'm aware. I was answering my question, after giving it some thought and more listening time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Neo C. said:
*evil grin after slashing 4 dozens of enemies*
Now let's duel to the death!

Miri said:
Gintama 214

Like Firehawk stated above me, this ep really brought to light what makes Gintama so great. It's both fun, and moving, seamlessly. We didn't really get the Gintoki flaring I was hoping for, but they moved through the arc without waste. So I don't have any major complaints.

It really reminds me of the old school HK action film, where the action thematically complements the sense of honor and machismo. They don't make things like that anymore, at least not with the same kind of genuine earnestness.

iavi

firehawk12 said:
I figure it's just easy to cut this both ways. The mother is horrible at the beginning because the writers wanted an out to create the "oh, she's not that bad" arc that we get in 13. It was choreographed the moment that the mother ditched Ohana because it's just that kind of show.
The fact that they go out of their way (short of flashing a sign at the bottom of the screen) to say that they are all the same person is meant to make it clear that there it's the only reading they want you to have.

Dead on. What I was trying to say to Zero with that quote there was: while they didn't show many particular instances of Satsuki doting over Ohana, she obviously cares about her as a daughter. And I feel like we were supposed to infer that much.

firehawk12 said:
It really reminds me of the old school HK action film, where the action thematically complements the sense of honor and machismo. They don't make things like that anymore, at least not with the same kind of genuine earnestness.

I haven't seen many HK action films to know. Now that you tell me they're similar, I'll probably get a few to watch now though.

Have any recs?

Steroyd said:
Don't you mean TROLL.

They probably blew all their budget on that latest episode, and they're back to bitching with the same background again. :lol

They'd totally pull that too. *Sighs* I hope not. They're on a real roll.

Jex

Izayoi said:
There's no way I could list everything off the top of my head, and I don't keep track of it anywhere. If you name something I could probably tell you if I had seen it or not, though.
Pfft that puts the work from you onto ME. That's not cool.

Plus, lists are fun. As is well known.
firehawk12 said:
One of these posts is not like the other.
Well I like to avoid trolling and/or hyperbole.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hosannainexcelsis said:
No, you're not alone. I find that and many other segments in Nichijou hilarious and amazing to look at. Its animation and visual gags are quite impressive. To be fair though, not every segment in Nichijou works so well and its overall style of humor is hit-or-miss, so I can understand why people are tepid towards it. I wouldn't say it's as good as Fumoffu, but I do appreciate it for being a step back from KyoAni's directly otaku oriented shows such as Haruhi and Lucky Star. Some people here have reacted with glee to Nichijou's poor DVD sales and said that KyoAni's finally "learned their lesson", but if they take any lesson away from that I suspect it'll be that they need to stick to their cash cow franchises, which would be a sad fate for such an obviously talented studio.
The show settles into a rhythm very quickly and produces the same physical gag comedies over and over again, so it's mostly a matter of how the jokes are represented. I mean, you can break down every single episode of Bugs Bunny the same way, along with pretty much all the Looney Tunes gags, but it's the progressive ridiculousness combined with the familiarity of the joke that makes them fun to watch.

Personally, I find it funny that Yuko gets trolled over and over again. And I suppose the Hakase segments hit some kind of moe nerve in my brain that allows me to find those segments acceptable as well.

Miri said:
Dead on. What I was trying to say to Zero with that quote there was: while they didn't show many particular instances of Satsuki doting over Ohana, she obviously cares about her as a daughter. And I feel like we were supposed to infer that much.
Part of it comes down to how she taught Ohana a lesson when they first met up again in Tokyo. It was the equivalent of the grandmother slapping her, in terms of its obvious set up, but with probably a bit too much sly sarcasm to be taken at face value. Ohana's reaction to both "lessons" probably adds to one being seen as perfectly acceptable while the other may seem abusive.

I haven't seen many HK action films to know. Now that you tell me they're similar, I'll probably get a few to watch now though.

Have any recs?
The pre-Hollywood John Woo stuff is the best place to start. Hard Boiled, A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, The Killer. It's a very niche genre though and probably can't exist anymore because of political correctness and self-awareness.

Like, for example, male gaze doesn't exist in these films because women are essentially non-existent. They aren't even objects to obtain/protect, because men just live in a separate world from them and engage each other in a level of discourse that transcends human communication. Which is why, say, Gintoki and Jirocho are able to immediately understand each other without actually having to say what they mean.

trejo

Dawg Dayz 13

And one more to check off the list. How incredibly convenient it was that the hero somehow managed to meet every required criteria to go back without realizing it. What are the odds?

Anyway, it had a few fun episodes here and there between bouts of boredom and requisite fanservice so I'd probably check out a sequel if there were to be one. Plus, ninja fox girls are always awesome.

/XX/

Jexhius said:
Cool!
It is possible that I'm calling it the wrong way saying Amelio, because I've seen serious (yeah!) discussions throughout all this years of people (in Spain and other countries) questioning whether it was Amedio or Amelio (and some pointed it is called both during the series, weird!). I have to say that I've for some time called it Amelio because that's how I remember it, and now it is to late to change! The NIPPON ANIMATION official website have it listed as Amedeo (http://www.nippon-animation.co.jp/work/hahawotazunete_sanzenri.html), though, and it is what makes more sense given the setting of the show, and as a probable reference as well, so I suppose is the correct form, but for the Spanish dubbing it can be translated as Amadeo as well... whatever, this is all pretty pointless so I'm going to spoiler-tag it.

You know, Jexhius, seeing all your impressions of the series is going to make me watch it again, but maybe this time I should see it in Japanese, I suppose it would be strange at first!

Articalys said:
Man, The Tatami Galaxy looks weird.
Yeah! That is (lately) Masaaki Yuasa! And speaking of him, how many more SHIN-MEN monthly specials is Shin-Ei Animation going to make? If they make more, of course... someone knows?

iavi

firehawk12 said:
Part of it comes down to how she taught Ohana a lesson when they first met up again in Tokyo. It was the equivalent of the grandmother slapping her, in terms of its obvious set up, but with probably a bit too much sly sarcasm to be taken at face value. Ohana's reaction to both "lessons" probably adds to one being seen as perfectly acceptable while the other may seem abusive.

Definitely, and that compliments my initial complaint as I was saying that most seem to be taking Ohana's then immature perspective to be infallible, when that was hardly the case.

The pre-Hollywood John Woo stuff is the best place to start. Hard Boiled, A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, The Killer. It's a very niche genre though and probably can't exist anymore because of political correctness and self-awareness.

Like, for example, male gaze doesn't exist in these films because women are essentially non-existent. They aren't even objects to obtain/protect, because men just live in a separate world from them and engage each other in a level of discourse that transcends human communication. Which is why, say, Gintoki and Jirocho are able to immediately understand each other without actually having to say what they mean.

Thanks, man! I'll dig into a few tonight.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Miri said:
Definitely, and that compliments my initial complaint as I was saying that most seem to be taking Ohana's then immature perspective to be infallible, when that was hardly the case.
And it's funny, because a big part of my problem with this arc was just how transparent that point was. I know most people here like to marginalize anime writers as monkeys on typewriters who are unable to make independent decisions, but whatever the case may be, they went out of their way to make sure that no one could misinterpret what they were trying to say in that episode.

Of course, the funny thing is, like when she was slapped by grandma over her aimless efforts, she pretty much bounces back by the end of the episode and ends up "festing it up" anyway. Genki powers on!

Miri said:
Thanks, man! I'll dig into a few tonight.
Hard Boiled is the easier one to watch because it's much more extravagant, but I quite like how in your face A Better Tomorrow was. For the sequel, they bring back a character from the dead and just dismiss it as a plot convenience because the actor is fucking amazing. Like a boss!

iavi

TWGOK 12

Besides all that righteous derp, and a surprisingly bad ass finish, this was a pretty horrid episode. So bad so, I found myself wanting to skip a good majority of it.

firehawk12 said:
I know most people here like to marginalizing anime writers as monkeys on typewriters who are unable to make independent decisions

This is something I'm so guilty of too, haha.

Hard Boiled is the easier one to watch because it's much more extravagant, but I quite like how in your face A Better Tomorrow was. For the sequel, they bring back a character from the dead and just dismiss it as a plot convenience because the actor is fucking amazing. Like a boss!

haha, yeah, it's safe to say that I'm pretty excited to watch these. Thanks again.

tiff

Banned
Astarotte no Omocha 12 -
Thought the relationship might actually go long distance for a second, but luckily they're able to go back for some reason? Anything to leave open the possibility for more loli butts, I guess.

Ano Hana 11 - I cried :(

Deadman Wonderland 11

And Ganta gets a major power up that he sucks at using. That should help quite a bit later. He probably should've taken that candy though.

And I guess Nagi was never all right in the head. I'm always fascinated by characters like these. That scene with the locket was pretty interesting. And the dude was totally badass at the end of the episode.

Mockingbird is also nuts. Anyone can do a slasher smile, but she seems perfect at switching from normal smile to slasher smile in a split second. Curious to know what her role will be later on.

Next episode is the last one. Wonder how much they'll change from the manga if anything. Doesn't seem like an anime original ending but rather a good stopping point.

Edit: Hmmm, looks like the rest of Scar Chain didn't abandon Karako in the manga. That's pretty damn significant. They might end up dying in both situations though so it wouldn't necessarily affect the ending, but still rather notable.

Calcaneus

So, does Trigun really get better after the first few episodes? I bought the series because it was pretty cheap, and because its a classic and all. But man, I'm just not getting into it at all. The humor just doesn't work for me at all. I know shit gets real partway through the show, but I have no motivation to keep watching.

Jintor

It shifts completely after a while. Like, from happy-go-lucky wander-the-earth-and-get-in-adventures tone straight into serious-what-is-the-nature-of-humanity-style madness.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jintor said:
It shifts completely after a while. Like, from happy-go-lucky wander-the-earth-and-get-in-adventures tone straight into serious-what-is-the-nature-of-humanity-style madness.
A change for the worse.

Branduil

Calcaneus said:
So, does Trigun really get better after the first few episodes? I bought the series because it was pretty cheap, and because its a classic and all. But man, I'm just not getting into it at all. The humor just doesn't work for me at all. I know shit gets real partway through the show, but I have no motivation to keep watching.
It's not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom