• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread PART TWO return of sex hair, ghosts, and ZAWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Tales of the Abyss 9-10

Guy is the ideal bro, no contest. No amount of Luke-shunning can taint his bond. Tear's got to be a golddigger, as unnatural as her affection for Luke is. Jade continues to be the awesomely cliche mysterio. Mieu's still as ride or die as ever. Anise continues to be the show's loli-shipped annoyance she is. And Ion is well... Ion all his unmemorable glory.

The plot's coming together and moving nicely. I'm still enjoying.

Lafiel said:
There is a time for ambition and there is a time for good ol fun in anime, and I'd like the latter to have talented staff who actually care about the material to put it on screen.

Who's to say fun can't be ambitious as well?

7Th

Miri said:
Who's to say fun can't be ambitious as well?

You're still missing the point of what I said in the last page: Idolm@ster's staff wants to do anime about cute girls singing cute songs. We're talking about the guys that were given complete freedom to direct/animate ANYTHING they wanted as long as it was Gurren-Lagann related and came up with this and this.

Izayoi

Banned
Ao no Exorcist 11 - Hnnngggghhh, eyebrows-chan. Stupid shotas, though. God damnit. Had to have been filler, but not complaining because we got to see Izumo in a swimsuit.

Hanasaku Iroha 13 - This show is better when Ohana isn't talking.

Steins;Gate 12 - YOOOOOOOOOOOO WHAT THE FUCK

Steins;Gate 13 - YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So hold on, why exactly does
her watch/time stop? Is it CERN? Did I miss something?

iavi

7Th said:
You're still missing the point of what I said in the last page: Idolm@ster's staff wants to do anime about cute girls singing cute songs. We're talking about the guys that were given complete freedom to direct/animate ANYTHING they wanted as long as it was Gurren-Lagann related and came up with this and this.

Your point was that they're happy doing what they're doing, I sarcastically replied that they're happing making money, but I got what you were trying to say.

What I'm saying is that what you said has nothing to do with the point that I was trying to make. So, they're happy producing derivative works that pander to a bluray and ost buying fanbase, power to em. That doesn't change the fact that their work will still be derivative, un ambitious stuff, because it does have that rabid fanbase, and has clearly been done to death at this point.

I'd even give them credit were this to be the time when that was ballsy & original. I wouldn't care for the subject matter, but I'd give them credit, nonetheless.

But it's not, and the videos that you posted there only prove my point.

7Th

Miri said:
Your point was that they're happy doing what they're doing, I sarcastically replied that they're happing making money, but I got what you were trying to say.

What I'm saying is that what you said has nothing to do with the point that I was trying to make. So, they're happy producing derivative works that pander to a bluray and ost buying fanbase, power to em. That doesn't change the fact that their work will still be derivative, un ambitious stuff, because it does have that rabid fanbase, and has clearly been done to death at this point.

I'd even give them credit were this to be the time when that was ballsy & original. I wouldn't care for the subject matter, but I'd give them credit, nonetheless.

But it's not, and the videos that you posted there only prove my point.

Well, I have absolutely no problem with "derivative" works as long as they're well-done. The execution is more important than the concept. As long as the staff care for their work and deliver a quality cartoon with competent direction, writing and visual design, I'll be watching it. Finding quality cartoons is much harder than it sounds, though.

iavi

7Th said:
Well, I have absolutely no problem with "derivative" works as long as they're well-done. The execution is more important than the concept. As long as the staff care for their work and deliver a quality cartoon with competent direction, writing and visual design, I'll be watching it. Finding quality cartoons is much harder than it sounds, though.

But having even the most solid of executions on top of a shoddy( I'll use it again, haha, derivative) concept is much like building a mansion on top of quicksand. It might be fun to live in for a while, but will quickly sink in people's minds due to the fact that it is just that typical of the times. For example, "Cowboy Bebop" is remembered as a great to this day because it was both, well produced, and original in concept for its time.

I'd guarantee that IM@S won't be remembered the same.

I'm not critiquing your taste, by any means. That's ridiculous. You're free to enjoy what you what you enjoy.

Steins;Gate 13

I hope Mayuri's death wont be the main theme of the next episodes. Her last death already was almost slapstick material. They can't do that anymore. :I

And others said it already, but Okabes density is really frustrating to watch. Especially when he was calm enough to act unsuspicious when he canceled the party right after his second time leap and then becomes an idiot immediately after that again. It seems like he has infinite time leaps, too; so he should really think this through.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here. I liked the show more when it was about a 'lighthearted' conspiracy. With the stuff that is happening right now and gets hinted at I'm not convinced it'll have a satisfying conclusion.

Durarara dub
Yeah this dub is pretty bad. The guys they got for Mikado and Masaomi are terrible and the guy going the horrible russian accent for Simon is a joke. And since they play such a huge part it'll be pretty unbearable. JYB did a good job bringing his creepy raper guy voice to Izaya but that the only good thing about about it so far.

trejo

Steins;Gate 13

Yo, Okarin, here's a thought. It's been rather obvious for a while now that the part timer knows stuff so, I don't know, how about you try fucking asking her?

And as much fun as it is watching
Mayushii die over and over in increasingly comical ways
I also really hope they move on from that sooner rather than later because it's gonna get real old really fast.

7Th

Miri said:
But having even the most solid of executions on top of a shoddy( I'll use it again, haha, derivative) concept is much like building a mansion on top of quicksand. It might be fun to live in for a while, but will quickly sink in people's minds due to the fact that it is just that typical of the times.

Shoddy =! derivative

And execution is more valuable than any high-concept. By far. The true value of any work of art is only found in its execution. I'm not saying having a high-concept is bad, I'm saying that the concept is value-less by itself, it is only as worthwhile as its execution makes it out to be.

Miri said:
For example, "Cowboy Bebop" is remembered as a great to this day because it was both, well produced, and original in concept for its time.

Other than its high-quality execution, what makes Cowboy Bebop different from Cobra, Dirty Pair or loads of other space adventure shows from the 80's?

trejo

Fireball Charming 11-12

OMFG, so good.

7Th said:
Other than its high-quality execution, what makes Cowboy Bebop different from Cobra, Dirty Pair or loads of other space adventure shows from the 80's?
Ein, obviously.

iavi

7Th said:
Shoddy =! derivative

And execution is more valuable than any high-concept. By far. The true value of any work of art is only found in its execution. I'm not saying having a high-concept is bad, I'm saying that the concept is value-less by itself, it is only as worthwhile as its execution makes it out to be.

I can agree with that. What I'm saying is to build upon a concept so similar to every other concept of the current time, is not only blatantly unambitious, but detrimental to progression. It's frequently said that no art is original, alright; that may very well be the case. That, however, doesn't give one a free pass to stop trying at something wholly orignal, just because someone has stated that it's an impossible endeavor.

Execution is the major stake in trying, so I agree with you on that much. My wish, however, is that the industry would try for more than it's currently been.

Because IM@S = A group of girls, in skirts, that sing, dance, and act cute.

Now what does that sound like? And yeah, you could say that the execution will introduce elements of drama, romance, intrigue etc... etc... making it something more than its face-value-premise, but I'd only repeat what I just said.

obviously derivative = shoddy in my book.

I dunno. I've never seen them to say. I was speaking from the general consensus and few that I've seen like Outlaw Star, Gun x Sword, and Trigun, which wasn't the smartest thing to do, I admit.

[Steins;Gate]

*Sighs*, wtf is wrong with Okabe? he became so clouded with emotions that he can't fucking think straight. Asking the part timer (suzuha) is the fastest way to succeed, Suzuha definetly knows something about the future and she is trying hard to not reveal whatever she knows but am sure if Okabe pests her she would succumb. I really like Mayushii and i hope the author finds a way to save her, she is my favorite character in the anime.

jman2050

GTP_Daverytimes said:
[Steins;Gate]

*Sighs*, wtf is wrong with Okabe? he became so clouded with emotions that he can't fucking think straight.

Maybe um... that's the idea?

Dude hasn't exactly been calm and rational even when things were going good for him.

Hellsing321 said:
Durarara dub
Yeah this dub is pretty bad. The guys they got for Mikado and Masaomi are terrible and the guy going the horrible russian accent for Simon is a joke. And since they play such a huge part it'll be pretty unbearable. JYB did a good job bringing his creepy raper guy voice to Izaya but that the only good thing about about it so far.

I only could tolerate a few minutes of it until i found something else to watch.

Izayoi

Banned
Durarara!! 1-10 - Nowhere near as fast-paced as Baccano (out of necessity, I suppose), but I'm still enjoying it so far.

Durarara!! 11 - SUGOOOOOOIIIIIIIIII

Izayoi said:
Hanasaku Iroha 13 - This show is better when Ohana isn't talking.

ohana_awesome.jpg

Because it's derived from a double-meme, it's truly a multi-purpose image macro!

Team Waifu 13:

My comments will be found in the |OT|. I wish that people would stop commenting on shows which have |OT|s in the omnibus thread, because it fragments the discussion (such as it is). It's utterly pointless if we have certain shows each season getting an |OT| but half the people talk about the show in the omnibus thread anyways, we might as well just not have seasonal show |OT|s at all.

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
My comments will be found in the |OT|. I wish that people would stop commenting on shows which have |OT|s in the omnibus thread, because it fragments the discussion (such as it is). It's utterly pointless if we have certain shows each season getting an |OT| but half the people talk about the show in the omnibus thread anyways, we might as well just not have seasonal show |OT|s at all.
Unless the show is a phenomenon or something it doesn't need its own thread.

jman2050

I know for the Madoka thread the seasonal thread had the one-shot non-spoilery impressions of each episode while all the discussion took place in the OT. Is that not roughly the same in this case?

Miri said:
I hate this picture and I hate your affinity for this picture. .

I make all my own images for these threads, just so you know. The only images I've ever used which weren't my own are some of the HSotD animated GIFs and of course general stuff like Homer laughing above us. I don't rely on stupid websites for image creation either, there's a shitty demotivational creator site you can use but the results look like shit compared to doing it yourself with a high-resolution frame and Photoshop.

So yeah, you keep on hating, I'll just keep on creating. :3

jman2050 said:
Blame duckroll et al for letting the Oreimo thread exist.

I wasn't even there for that! I feel like I missed out. ;_;

In unrelated news, it seems that Idolmaster: Xenoglossia was actually produced by Sunrise. I kind of want to watch it now. :3

iavi

Tales of the Abyss 11-12

Bro.jpg

Not even a trauma induced grudge can halt all that raw bro. Jade gets his backstory. Tear's still a golddigger. Anise is still annoying. Ion is... still Ion. The king is an eccentric. And things are falling through the sky.

Unknown Soldier said:
So yeah, you keep on hating, I'll just keep on creating. :3

How can I when you put it so lovingly?

Durarararararara...ra? 1:

Uhhh, cool. From the creator of Baccano! comes something, uh, else. I'm sure the real Ikebukuro district in Tokyo isn't nearly as cool as the show makes it out to be, but that's okay. The show's OP animation doesn't try to disguise it's blatant homage to Baccano's OP animation, at any rate. I suppose it's okay since the same studio (Brain's Base) did both shows, so they are merely experiencing a bout of I Am Fucking Awesome by reusing the general motif and theme of Baccano's OP for Durarararararara. And besides, I'm all for nekomimi-helmeted headless bikers! FUCK YEAH!

7Th

Miri said:
I can agree with that. What I'm saying is to build upon a concept so similar to every other concept of the current time, is not only blatantly unambitious, but detrimental to progression.

What the fuck does progression mean? The route to the progression of animation is creating better works of animation. That's it.

Miri said:
It's frequently said that no art is original, alright; that may very well be the case. That, however, doesn't give one a free pass to stop trying at something wholly orignal, just because someone has stated that it's an impossible endeavor.

I think creators should just work in whatever works they believe in; whatever they work in is irrelevant as long as they do it properly and throughly. That's what good anime is all about.

Miri said:
Execution is the major stake in trying, so I agree with you on that much. My wish, however, is that the industry would try for more than it's currently been.

Most anime isn't even good in its execution. Hell, most works of art aren't good in their execution. The one thing that makes good art good is the execution. It's like how there are legendary portraits that despite not being anything but portraits stand out from the rest of the portraits due to their technical qualities.

Miri said:
Because IM@S = A group of girls, in skirts, that sing, dance, and act cute.

Now what does that sound like? And yeah, you could say that the execution will introduce elements of drama, romance, intrigue etc... etc... making it something more than its face-value-premise, but I'd only repeat what I just said.

Essentially, you're saying that the "face value premise" is more important than the content? Really? REALLY?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Miri said:
What the hell is wrong with this thing? It's never coming out.
Manga Entertainment.

Although the likelihood of it going to Netflix in the future seems high since they seem like buddies.

Jex

jman2050 said:
Maybe um... that's the idea?

Dude hasn't exactly been calm and rational even when things were going good for him.
Yeah I don't have a problem with it. It makes sense, given the situation. I was just pointing it out earlier.

iavi

7Th said:
What the fuck does progression mean? The route to the progression of animation is creating better works of animation. That's it.

That's if the 'animation' was all anime was. It's really not. It's a story-telling medium that just happens be drawn. I wholeheartedly agree with you in saying that improving upon the technical aspects of efficiency/proficiency are a major part of industry progression, but to run off, discount plot & concept as minuscule, and say that studios could pump tripe out as long as it's visually striking is straight up idiotic, not even borderline.

I think creators should just work in whatever works they believe in; whatever they work in is irrelevant as long as they do it properly and throughly. That's what good anime is all about.

True in aspects, but if talented studios believe in passionately producing doppelgangers, I believe I have the right to complain about seeing too many of them.

Most anime isn't even good in its execution. Hell, most works of art aren't good in their execution. The one thing that makes good art good is the execution. It's like how there are legendary portraits that despite not being anything but portraits stand out from the rest of the portraits due to their technical qualities.

Technical merit in a portrait...No. Your analogy is broken as hell. You're trying to compartmentalize art into a little box labled 'technical merit,' when that just can't be done. A beautifully drawn, relatively empty, portrait can receive praise on the looks alone, I agree. but a few scribbles can garner just as much if they're drawn with a clear cut sense of 'concept' and feeling. Both working in tandem produce wonders, and I think we both agree that it's rarely done.

But that's besides the point. IM@S obviously looks well produced, and it obviously resonates with some. I'm just tired of seeing the same painting. Let's move on to the next big cliche already.

Essentially, you're saying that the "face value premise" is more important than the content? Really? REALLY?

No. I'm saying that they're connected at the face, as much as you may try to say otherwise.

Okay, I'm seriously thinking about watching Idolmaster: Xenoglossia.

whywouldyoudothat_2.jpg

Because:

(1) I've only found a few reviews of it, but what few I found were overwhelmingly positive. Everybody seemed surprised that it could actually be pretty good, considering you know, it's Idolmaster. With mechas. Riiiiiiight.

(2) Produced by Sunrise. Most of the staff were from Mai-Hime and Mai-Otome. Apparently it's a lot like those series, and despite it being what it is, Sunrise was crazy enough to bless it with through-the-roof production values. So at least it will be very interesting to look at.

(3) Produced by Sunrise. And it has mechas. Aired in 2007. And it's NOT Gundam. By definition, that means it MUST be good. I mean, I'm not expecting Anime of the Forever God-tier status like Code Geass, but come on. It has all the ingredients for fuck awesome status.

(4) It features our requisite lolis idols FALLING IN LOVE WITH ROBOTS. No, seriously. I'm not shitting you here. Apparently the reason why the mechas (the iDOLs) in this show have to be piloted by teenage girls (the Idolmasters) is they are sentient beings which only respond to a pilot they can, uh, have "feelings" for. I'll let you fill in the rest of the blanks.

(5) The director of this show went on to direct AnoHana. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, I'm on Team HanaIro. :3

So, who's with me here?! WHO WANTS TO WATCH IDOLMASTER: XENOGLOSSIA?!

*crickets chirping*

Fine, fuck you guys. I'll watch it by myself. ;_;

Erigu

[Durarara!!]
Unknown Soldier said:
The show's OP animation doesn't try to disguise it's blatant homage to Baccano's OP animation, at any rate. I suppose it's okay since the same studio (Brain's Base) did both shows, so they are merely experiencing a bout of I Am Fucking Awesome by reusing the general motif and theme of Baccano's OP for Durarararararara.
More like they're both inspired by the opening of Snatch.
(the author of the original novels is a Guy Ritchie fan)

syoaran

trejo said:
Steins;Gate 13

Yo, Okarin, here's a thought. It's been rather obvious for a while now that the part timer knows stuff so, I don't know, how about you try fucking asking her?

And as much fun as it is watching
Mayushii die over and over in increasingly comical ways
I also really hope they move on from that sooner rather than later because it's gonna get real old really fast.

I'm with you on this, In 13 its understandable to an extend why he doesnt ask, his mind's a mess.
He's not living a complete day, and technically he has lost his oldest and for the longest period in his life, only friend three times in 9 hours. He's in a state, and understandably so.

I've not played the game (but I do hope they localise the ipad version in the near future), but adventure lovers seemed to deem the story amazing - so I hope the anime doesn't screw it up now that its reached the crucial stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom