• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam 00 - 8

Good Lord.

Tiera's in a dress. And he dances with Ribbons Almark.

Was DTL involved with writing this show or something?

Intresting...so the show's big complicated plan for ultimate peace involved Celestial Being to have itself destroyed once all the armed interventions were no longer necessary. Yikes.

Also
what happened to Louise's personality? Like, she went from being a bratty teenager to...nothing. I can understand that's what traumatic events can do to someone but seeing her with Setsuna like that is weird. Last season she and Setsuna were in the same room for one scene and she despised him back then!

When exactly does S2 start showing its shades of horrible? Cause so far I'm really enjoying this almost as much as I did the first season.

I see you haven't watched Turn A Gundam!

As for when S2 starts to get bad, in a couple of episodes or so.

Wonderful. Just had Spiderman 2 spoiled because I couldn't figure out what the hell you were talking about.

Sorry about that man. But the reaction of most was to copy/paste into google. And I did spoiler tag it. And the particular spoiler has been part of the comic mythos for ages now. Still, didn't expect somebody to click on a spoiler without knowing what it is. So sorry?

edit: at the very least I'll edit it the title to make sure it doesn't happen again, out of goodwill.

Gundam 00 - 8

When exactly does S2 start showing its shades of horrible? Cause so far I'm really enjoying this almost as much as I did the first season.

Its not horrible, its a pretty refined take on s1 offering really great moments. Make sure you watch the movie immediately afterwards, excellent take on one of the best characters.

Your posting makes me want to boot up my dvds, I miss ribbons, setsuna f seiei, and saji crossroad.

Eusis

And now I realized I would've figured out what Woofington typed had I not put in spaces like an idiot. Or maybe not, that's the lingual equivalent of photoshopping a picture heavily then trying to photoshop it back into its original state.

Kingdom 2 Episode 35

Diao good strategist, that was excellent after the initial moments.
cant believe Xin took that long to figure it out even having to go as far as to lift her skirt. I thought she was going to keep it secret for much longer, but I guess romantic feelings made her choose otherwise?

Still waiting every week for a Young Jump issue to reveal plans for s3.

I see you haven't watched Turn A Gundam!

As for when S2 starts to get bad, in a couple of episodes or so.

This is actually the second Gundam I've made a long way into. The first one I made a long ways into the show was X, which I still need to finish (29 episodes in that one IIRC).

I saw 1 episode of Wing. I just finished watching my favourite anime TTGL at the time IIRC, and watching Wing after that felt like a downgrade by comparison.

I saw about 4 episodes of SEED. I was tired at the time of watching it though, so I kind of need to rewatch it to understand what's happening in it.

4 episodes of G (I'm watching that one alongside PhsychoNinja)

I'm all over the place when it comes to this franchise, lol.

fertygo

Not better than GBF's but better than 00 deserved by a country mile.

Sunrise fucked up both 00 and R2 man :(

The rumour the team originally have 00 airing for full 50 eps season from what I read, but Sunrise decided to make it have shift with R2.. its fucked up both.

Fo Geass R2 the team must setting status quo instead the set-up that fully intended for people that already following the show, because Sunrise want to attract new viewer from the timeslot, and for 00 itself the complete opposite happened, they never wanted the "sequel" treatment for the 2nd half.

I don't know if its true or not, maybe its only speculation.. but its still messed up to think the S2 for both show should swapped their set-up.

Eusis

To what end? This is a thread for English speakers.
Yeah, that'd be why I said it was impractical in the spoiler bit, so it was kind of a lame joke on my part. Even if you could twist it that way there's better avenues for that than trying to decode an American movie's name.

Narag

That's interesting if true, seems like the sort of environment where all those bad decisions could spring from.

This is actually the second Gundam I've made a long way into. The first one I made a long ways into the show was X, which I still need to finish (29 episodes in that one IIRC).

I saw 1 episode of Wing. I just finished watching my favourite anime TTGL at the time IIRC, and watching Wing after that felt like a downgrade by comparison.

I saw about 4 episodes of SEED. I was tired at the time of watching it though, so I kind of need to rewatch it to understand what's happening in it.

4 episodes of G (I'm watching that one alongside PhsychoNinja)

I'm all over the place when it comes to this franchise, lol.

You've only got another 10 episodes of Gundam X left. You might as well finish that one completely (Once you get 00 out of the way at least).

Eusis

Guys, anyone here watch Royal Space Force? I love 90s and late 80s anime but somehow JUST discovered this one exists. Is it any good?
It's very good, but there's one troubling scene that doesn't sit well with people. I'd still recommend watching it but that may be something to keep in mind.

survivor

Banned
Atelier Escha & Logy 3
s1wIalX.png

why anime
I think the novelty factor has pretty much run out. The concept was sorta nice at first, but now with the anime cheap production values, I just don't see the point of watching it. I would rather play the video game at this point and i know I will never find the time for that. So yeah pretty much dropped even though this fake fluffy tail action made it hard to do so.

cajunator

Banned
Pom Poko

I feel like the creators of this film indulged themselves at the expense of the film's pacing and effectiveness. The environmentalist message is bluntly straightforward even by Ghibli standards, and there isn't enough focus on character arcs. The monster parade segment is a microcosm of that problem; it's gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but it goes on too long. This film definitely needed some harsher editing.

It's still very good, though. It almost makes me want to go re-watch The Eccentric Family to better compare that show's take on some of the ideas presented here. (But who has the time to re-watch shows, right?)

the movie about angry tanookis and their magical balls. Just amazing.

What dark times we must live in where artists can't even be bothered to draw some guts.

It's simply the price of knowledge.

But they did draw guts in Elfen Lied!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Elfen Lied 4

Nice selective intelligence, guys. Meet a young girl who might be a runaway? I DUNNO, MAYBE WE SHOULD CALL THE POLICE. Meet a naked bloody girl who can only speak in cat noises? BOY SHE'D SURE LOOK NICE IN OUR LIVING ROOM.

I don't even know how to parse the fight in this episode. For two opponents that are supposedly well-acquanted with the nature and extent of each others' invisible noodle arm power levels, it was mostly a back-and-forth of combatants acting shocked and completely failing to anticipate each others' attacks until it was time for
Nyutwo to lose like an idiot

This is purely speculative, but if Nyu is simply going to be fending off wave after wave of attempts to retrieve her, this grinder of suffering that the show is shoving its cast through isn't going to work when virtually all of the characters are going to be disposable. It's all supposed to be this gut-wrenching tragedy or whatever, but if no one survives long enough to give us a reason to care that they've died, it's empty and exploitative. That's tragedy for tragedy's sake, where characters are constructed solely as a cheap delivery vehicle for a momentary shot of DEM FEELY FEELS, are discarded once the dose is administered, and another new dose trotted out in the last one's place. Given the reputation that this show has with AnimeGAF, I fear for the worst.

Isshuukan / One Week Friends 3-5

VZXz2VW.gif

Man. This continues to be the best show of the season for me.

I thought a lot of things happened in episode 3 too fast, and certain scenes werent as impactful as they were in the manga but episode 4-5 got things back in the right direction. The anime adaptation for OWF is so much better than the source.

Saki is just absolutely adorable and that mall scene where they were trying out clothes pretty much destroyed me for how cute and adorable it was. WARNING: CUTE THING SPOILER Ugh. So cute.

Hase being a creepy jealous dude is enjoyable as is Shogo being a total bro. Eagerly waiting for next weeks episode.

An user on Reddit has been doing translations for the weekly entries by Fujimiya. Episode 3's entry is just too damn sweet.

You've only got another 10 episodes of Gundam X left. You might as well finish that one completely (Once you get 00 out of the way at least).

Yeah I'll definitely finish it, I just got really bored of it 29 episodes in and I had other stuff occupying me at the time.

That and I hated the Frost Brothers. So boring.

Joe Molotov

Gundam 00 - 8

Good Lord.

Tiera's in a dress. And he dances with Ribbons Almark.

Was DTL involved with writing this show or something?

Intresting...so the show's big complicated plan for ultimate peace involved Celestial Being to have itself destroyed once all the armed interventions were no longer necessary. Yikes.

Also
what happened to Louise's personality? Like, she went from being a bratty teenager to...nothing. I can understand that's what traumatic events can do to someone but seeing her with Setsuna like that is weird. Last season she and Setsuna were in the same room for one scene and she despised him back then!

That was the best episode of S2.

Elfen Lied 4

Nice selective intelligence, guys. Meet a young girl who might be a runaway? I DUNNO, MAYBE WE SHOULD CALL THE POLICE. Meet a naked bloody girl who can only speak in cat noises? BOY SHE'D SURE LOOK NICE IN OUR LIVING ROOM.

I don't even know how to parse the fight in this episode. For two opponents that are supposedly well-acquanted with the nature and extent of each others' invisible noodle arm power levels, it was mostly a back-and-forth of combatants acting shocked and completely failing to anticipate each others' attacks until it was time for
Nyutwo to lose like an idiot

This is purely speculative, but if Nyu is simply going to be fending off wave after wave of attempts to retrieve her, this grinder of suffering that the show is shoving its cast through isn't going to work when virtually all of the characters are going to be disposable. It's all supposed to be this gut-wrenching tragedy or whatever, but if no one survives long enough to give us a reason to care that they've died, it's empty and exploitative. That's tragedy for tragedy's sake, where characters are constructed solely as a cheap delivery vehicle for a momentary shot of DEM FEELY FEELS, are discarded once the dose is administered, and another new dose trotted out in the last one's place. Given the reputation that this show has with AnimeGAF, I fear for the worst.

Keep watching. I'd say there's enough surviving characters that give the viewer a reason to care.

Though I may be a bit biased since as far as I know, I'm the only animegaffer that legitimately unironically likes Elfen Lied.

disk wars avengers 3

so the show is pretty much digimon.

And spiderman backflip kicking loki was great.

And the helicarrier totally can change into macross mecha im betting.

sonicmj1

Guys, anyone here watch Royal Space Force? I love 90s and late 80s anime but somehow JUST discovered this one exists. Is it any good?

Arguably the best thing Gainax ever made.

Elfen Lied 1

I really don't know why I'm doing this, except for the fact that I'm just not in the right frame of mind to appreciate anything good this weekend and people keep namedropping this in relation to the hilarious Goukoku no Brynhildr. Also something something anime cultural literacy.

Well, as long as you know what you're getting into.

I only watched the first episode of the show a long time ago. At that time, the over-the-top violence was novel for me, so I spent most of the first half of the episode laughing at the sheer excess (that gag they set up with the clumsy secretary! Priceless!). And then I watched the second half and it seemed dumb, so I never watched any more because I figured I'd already seen the best it had to offer.

Everything else I've heard about the show since makes me feel like I made the right call.

Puchimas !! Iori birthday edition
That was the most stupid way to hide a japanese word i could think off

That " mariage" skit was pure gold.

Black Hat

Though I may be a bit biased since as far as I know, I'm the only animegaffer that legitimately unironically likes Elfen Lied.

I didn't mind it either.

It's definitely one of those anime in which you have to switch your brain off in order to watch, but I found it entertaining enough.

Jintor

Psycho-Pass 1

Damnit. Why can't I just get a cool future police procedural? Why you gotta be a weird sci-fi super anime thing?

Oh well, no point complaining about show's not being something it's not. Maybe I should just rewatch GiTS instead.

I didn't mind it either.

It's definitely one of those anime in which you have to switch your brain off in order to watch, but I found it entertaining enough.

Well I found it more than just entertaining and saw a good amount of meaning in stuff, but I've already said my part on that in here.

Baby Steps 5:
This show remains both enjoying and believable, which is something I really appreciate. Ei-chan's first match is going about how you'd expect, but with some nice surprises. I think they do a good job of making everything add from a believability point of view, and it works out really well that his biggest skills are being able to practice over and over and having great vision.

The end of the episode when he
reads Oobayashi's shot before the racket hits the ball
was a crazy moment, and it really shows just how much potential Ei-chan has. I also liked how when he was freaking out before the match it was Takuma's words that caused him to calm down.

This show might not be the flashiest series, and visually it is fairly bland looking, but I still have to put it near the top of this season. The characters are all really solid, and it's giving a more technical look at a sport than you typically find in a shounen series. It has more in common with Ookiku Furikabutte in this regard (although not quite as insanely detailed at this point) than anything else.

Baby Steps 5:
This show remains both enjoying and believable, which is something I really appreciate. Ei-chan's first match is going about how you'd expect, but with some nice surprises. I think they do a good job of making everything add from a believability point of view, and it works out really well that his biggest skills are being able to practice over and over and having great vision.

The end of the episode when he
reads Oobayashi's shot before the racket hits the ball
was a crazy moment, and it really shows just how much potential Ei-chan has. I also liked how when he was freaking out before the match it was Takuma's words that caused him to calm down.

This show might not be the flashiest series, and visually it is fairly bland looking, but I still have to put it near the top of this season. The characters are all really solid, and it's giving a more technical look at a sport than you typically find in a shounen series. It has more in common with Ookiku Furikabutte in this regard (although not quite as insanely detailed at this point) than anything else.

This anime is definitely top of the season, through the way they characterize Ei chan's progress in tennis and like you said with all the characters being solid. And Takasaki being the best girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom