• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFu

Banned
omfg this weeks episode of One Week Friends

so good

I love this show, the good feels everywhere and it's just so freaking cute.

also I am spreading the gospel that is Humanity has Declined. My older bro borrowed the BD. Hope he likes it as much as I did.

Jintor

Accel World 1

Huh. Surprisingly okay. I mean, the main character is a pathetic dweeb, but his life's not quite so pathetic that I can't stand watching him. Perspective is fucked on so many of these shots though.

JoeFu

Banned
omfg someone needs to use Seki's magician face as an avatar or something. It's too perfect.

iDNiVrrnGP3va.png

Neol

Accel World 1

Huh. Surprisingly okay. I mean, the main character is a pathetic dweeb, but his life's not quite so pathetic that I can't stand watching him. Perspective is fucked on so many of these shots though.

A lot of people don't really like the MC but he's bearable. Watch for the fights though as most of the characters are very meh .

sonicmj1

Tonari no Seki-kun 17

A fun episode as usual. Though a little formulaic.

But this was a cool thing I noticed.

8zGB7.jpg

This is an actual dialogue from a lesson in New Crown, the eight-grade English textbook my junior high students used.

Can't believe the teacher failed to capitalize the 'k' in Ken.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Keep watching. I'd say there's enough surviving characters that give the viewer a reason to care.

Though I may be a bit biased since as far as I know, I'm the only animegaffer that legitimately unironically likes Elfen Lied.

I figure Kouta and whatsherface will make it to the end, but I really don't know what to expect out of future characters since a suitable counterpoint to Nyu was basically thrown away in the span of an episode.

Articalys

It's not. They're both in a classroom and she's got all the pictures printed out.
I was just kidding, you realize; obviously if it's a lesson like that in a textbook they're talking face-to-face.

I suppose I'm so straight-laced here usually that I should start marking my posts for non-serious intent to avoid misunderstandings.

I figure Kouta and whatsherface will make it to the end, but I really don't know what to expect out of future characters since a suitable counterpoint to Nyu was basically thrown away in the span of an episode.

Like I said, keep watching. Get to at least episode 7 (I think that's the one it was).

sonicmj1

I didn't know you taught! Private or JET?

Private, though I'm done with that now.

I was just kidding, you realize; obviously if it's a lesson like that in a textbook they're talking face-to-face.

I suppose I'm so straight-laced here usually that I should start marking my posts for non-serious intent to avoid misunderstandings.

I figured you were probably joking, but it was a good excuse to share more about the lesson.

Jarmel

Banned
Amazing Spider-Man 2-
Denis%2BLeary.jpg

Trying to decide if it's worse than Spider-Man 3 or not. I would have to rewatch SM3 to be sure but no way in hell that's happening.

Quasar

Amazing Spider-Man 2-
Denis%2BLeary.jpg

Trying to decide if it's worse than Spider-Man 3 or not. I would have to rewatch SM3 to be sure but no way in hell that's happening.

Can't say I hated SM3. Still haven't seen any of the subsequent films though. In part because AS seemed like another origin story and that's the last thing I want. And AS2 too sounds like it suffers from things that would bother me. Too many villains, plus multiple origin stories inside to setup the Sinister Six film.

Of course I'm still mostly on my 'don't give a shit about live action supers' stance so I wasn't really that keen on AS2 anyway. I say mostly because I am watching Arrow (which I like), and did cave to watch Avengers (which I didn't like) and MoS (which I have mixed feelings about).

So wish this whole live action supers thing would die soon. Which is kind of bizarre given I was a lifelong supers reader and really wanted to see supers come back into film. But I think the flood of such films coincided with me giving up on the comics and jumping to anime/manga.

Jarmel

Banned
Strikes me as a Man of Steel situation in that it's a problematic movie that's really polarizing.

It's really not. I can understand why people liked MoS despite it's glaring flaws. The action is nowhere near good enough to justify liking ASM2.

Let's put it this way, when I'm thinking about the film and how much I would cut out of it(either due to pointlessness or just being stupid), I was looking at over half the damn runtime.

Spiderman 3 at least had "Slick" Peter Parker and Sogood.gif to make a trainwreck hilarious.

Not sure what ASM2 has yet since I haven't bothered to watch it yet

Narag

It's really not. I can understand why people liked MoS despite it's glaring flaws. The action is nowhere near good enough to justify liking ASM2.

Let's put it this way, when I'm thinking about the film and how much I would cut out of it(either due to pointlessness or just being stupid), I was looking at over half the damn runtime.

And to think, quite a bit had been cut out already with the MJ scenes gone and everything missing from the trailers!

Jarmel

Banned
And to think, quite a bit had been cut out already with the MJ scenes gone and everything missing from the trailers!

Yet the trailers still were able to spoil the entire fucking movie. They showed probably 70%+ of any noteworthy fight sequence in the movie.

Narag

Yet the trailers still were able to spoil the entire fucking movie. They showed probably 70%+ of any noteworthy fight sequence in the movie.

I suppose I should admit that 70% is what convinced me to check out the other 30% since I had zero interest in this reboot like 10 days ago. :lol

So which actor do you prefer as spiderman, the original or the amazing spiderman one. For me I like Tobey much better than Andrew.

meh asm2 was fine, waste of jamie foxx, and harry... whats the point?

But i enjoyed the spidey parts, feels spidey with the humor, and the suit looks 'less cg' than before.

Jarmel

Banned
So which actor do you prefer as spiderman, the original or the amazing spiderman one. For me I like Tobey much better.

I think Tobey was the better Peter but Garfield is the better Spider-Man. I really wish Garfield's Spider-Man was in a much better film.

I suppose I should admit that 70% is what convinced me to check out the other 30% since I had zero interest in this reboot like 10 days ago. :lol

That number is probably on the low end actually. The climax fight bits are dirty short.

cajunator

Banned
Of course not. I always fail watch bets.

I need to find a new mantra because this one helps me justify every bad watching decision I consciously make.

I'm not saying that I expected more, just that the show shouldn't be held up as some kind of pinnacle of graphic anime gore.

It isnt even one. Its not THAT gorey.

Oh, I misread. Thought you were talking about Brynhildr. Provided you aren't watching the slightly-moderately censored TV version, you will definitely see entrails and stuff.

As far as why it's held up as a pinnacle of graphic anime gore, I would say that has more to do with it being one of the first popular instances of grotesque cute in the medium in the west. The dichotomy of seeing cute girls in a cute art style getting slaughtered/doing the slaughtering is more effective to some people than seeing it happen with a gritty art style in a gritty universe. When you watch stuff like Genocyber or other hyper gory OVAs, you won't be as taken off guard by the graphic violence.

I likex that mix of cute and disturbing. The Narutaru effect.

Elfen Lied 3

Okay, now we're getting into the meat of the bullshit. Let's start with the very first scene in the episode: I don't think I've ever seen another anime where a male accidentally ends up in a compromising position with a girl and is seen by someone else is treated as an actual cliffhanger. I thought that, when Kouta's cousin finds him changing an incapacitated Nyu out of her wet clothing at the end of episode two, that it was simply being played off as a gag, but no. The next episode immediately returns to this and proceeds to turn it into a good old case of full-blown MISUNDERSTANDING DRAMA.

Cousin-chan isolates herself from Kouta because he's such a hentai baka, and, worst of all, doesn't remember a festival they went to together as kids. What a fucking lowlife, not obsessing over her after eight years of no contact. This gives her time to ruminate alone on her fond memories of their time together as children, and she begins to realize the true nature of her feelings, yes, those feelings, toward Kouta. This culminates in a heart-to-heart discussion at the end of the episode between the two where they resolve their differences and..........fuck, just look at the images below.

Remember the cycle, everyone:

Misunderstanding ->

Tsundere ->

Jealous and/or angst-ridden incest horseshit.

Translation: WHY DO YOU LOOK AT NYU THAT WAY (he isn't you dense moron) WHEN YOU HAVE MEEEE?!?

Visionary. Ahead of its time, although they have the decency to merely be first cousins instead of siblings.

Oh yeah, and now
there's another Nyu (Nyutwo?) and she has some ripoff Gendo-Rei shit going on with Secret Conspiracy Guy.
Much more interestingly, however,
Commander Asshole has his balls forcibly cut off after his encounter with Nyu because they can, like, inject their genetic material into humans and if it comes into contact with his semen another Nyu will sprout out of his sack or something.
I expected a lot of weird things coming into this, but I didn't expect material for
MPREG
fanfiction.

Youll love what happens to the asshole soldier guy.

Haikyuu!! 05

crthfvql.jpg

Still enjoying this. I like the comedy and I found it amusing they even managed to squeeze an explain the positions for the people who don't know anything about volleyball in there.

Ginga e Kickoff!! 09

IVbTDLPl.jpg

Well of course after having a rough first half, they manage to fix themselves back together. I'm also liking all this focus on Reika as well.

Tonari no Seki-kun 18

What will the amazing Seki-kun do next!?!

Puchimas!! 28-29

Hapnyupybirchonthdayians!

Isshuukan Friends 05

Continues to be adorable and continues to have progress for our memory troubles.

survivor

Banned
One Week Friends 5

Who would ever go up to other students in high school and ask them to be their friends and that they look up to them? Next episode preview seems pretty promising, seeing the parents take on this issue should be good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One Week Friends 5
I say that this show would be better if it was just two girls getting along not because of SDBurton,
who ruins everything (lol)
, but because you wouldn't have Hase-kun doing the fedora "nice guy" thing over and over again.
Although I suppose there's no way to tell an amnesiac that you're attracted to them, but it is creepy - as the show points out - that he's obsessed with her but is basically trying to "nice guy" her to death.

---

Love Live 5
Random things:
I think this is the first time I've noticed painted finger nails in the anime. It got me wondering why it never really shows up in most anime. Is it just harder to animate? I wouldn't think so, but what do I know.
Also, random girl on the left was animated, albeit it with the same two frames looped. Maybe she'll be a real character soon! lol
Meanwhile, SDBurton is busy in a dark room somewhere. :p

Quasar

One Week Friends 5
I say that this show would be better if it was just two girls getting along not because of SDBurton,
who ruins everything (lol)
, but because you wouldn't have Hase-kun doing the fedora "nice guy" thing over and over again.
Although I suppose there's no way to tell an amnesiac that you're attracted to them, but it is creepy - as the show points out - that he's obsessed with her but is basically trying to "nice guy" her to death.

I thought it was awful. Caused me to stop part way through (about where stupid new girl stole his lunch). And I certainly don't agree with that assessment of Hase. Though he gets jealous pretty easily. Though I can understand it to a degree given his friendship in part survives purely on the diary.

Kazzy

I'm waiting to hear back to see where I'm getting placed for JET...

Somewhere rural, if I had to guess! Haha.

Seriously though, seems like a good route to take. I continually find myself frustrated with my working hours, relative to being able to study the language, etc. JET affords you more freedom on that front.

Kindaichi Case Files R 2-4

Huh, well that's one way to make you sympathize with a killer. Seemed like they did everything they could to make the victims out to be awful people, making the murders justified. Detective Conan rarely goes this far on that front.

Not sure if I want to continue or not. The mystery was interesting, but if they're all going to be a series of cases with no connection, I might bail.

CorvoSol

Clannad 8

I liked this plot more when I played it in Persona 3. I can't say I'm really sold on this show or that I particularly like the cast. I definitely hate the art style and consider it a constant detriment to the show and would willingly tell you it negatively impacts my opinion of the series as a whole.

That said, I did feel that roachmom's breakdown over her inability to see starfish kid was somewhat touching, so I will commend the show for that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought it was awful. Caused me to stop part way through (about where stupid new girl stole his lunch). And I certainly don't agree with that assessment of Hase. Though he gets jealous pretty easily. Though I can understand it to a degree given his friendship in part survives purely on the diary.
Maybe the corrupting influence of the Fedora hasn't reached Japan yet and that's just sweet and innocent. I blame GAF for my cynicism!

---

cm8sQYdl.jpg

Also, gaoism has gotten much more advanced these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom