• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ano Natsu de Matteru 12
Even though I haven't exactly been happy with a lot of shows this season I'm surprised by how unusually well some of them are wrapping up. This episode laid the stakes out pretty clearly, had characters expressing themselves well in a way that the viewer can easily interpret, and wraps things up
in a pleasing way without being so overt about it that it seems like pandering.
The stacked epilogues with time skips work really well here, and leave the series feeling like a well planned conclusive work. The show takes time to see the characters out in a way that respects the series and the viewer, which is something I find to be really admirable.

The train sequence felt a little weird and out of place in the action of everything, but this is a strong finisher to the series that quite notably improves my feelings about the whole of the show.

The magic of good writing is when the author is able to trick the audience into wanting to see the cliche. There's a subtle line between manipulating someone and giving them exactly what they want.

Look at how they prime your expectations:

1) It's a show about making a movie or capturing memories.
2) You have the characters narrate about "that summer" from some point in the future. They never explicitly say what happens, but you can infer so much from the tone of their voice (which is wistful) and the actual words they do use.
3) You rely on the trope of summer vacation, which even an American audience can identify with.

By the time you actually get to the ending, you know exactly what's going to happen as it happens, but it never feels like you were being drug along to reach that point.

Then, when they do pull the epilogue, it's exactly what you want because the characters are manufactured enough that you want them to reach the point they do in the series but not enough that you automatically assume that the ending is the only possibility. It's masterful RomCom writing.

It's just so surprising how well done it is, because I've come to expect shit from anime scripts nowadays. Especially ones that can't rely on the crutch of adapting a manga/light novel.

Reknoc

One Piece 3

2. If the Grand Line is in the center of the one continent in the world, why is it such a big deal to get to it? Why do you need a special map? This seems like such an obvious error or mistake I feel sure I'm missing something, I'm not really holding this against the series.

This does get explained but it's typical Oda science.

One Piece 3

I had 3 main problems with this episode:

2. If the Grand Line is in the center of the one continent in the world, why is it such a big deal to get to it? Why do you need a special map? This seems like such an obvious error or mistake I feel sure I'm missing something, I'm not really holding this against the series.

3. I forgot what this was going to be, oh well.

The good stuff:

Zoro is still a bro

That random marine was also a bro

Ive been following the series for years and still am baffled by the one piece geography, I just take it as it is.

Anyway, Zoro is definitely cool! Luffy Zoro

Einbroch

Banned
Somehow, after six anime-less years, I was roped into watching anime again at a friends.

I...ugh...it was Listen to Me Girls. I am Your Father.

Never again.

Makoto

Somehow, after six anime-less years, I was roped into watching anime again at a friends.

Never again.
I'm sorry.

I'm so sorry.

Edit: You watched Loli Drop. You got shown the wrong Drop. Go watch Usagi Drop.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Never again.

W... why would they do that??? D: They should have shown you Ano Natsu de Matteru! COME BACK!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Papa Iukoto Episode 12

Man I was waiting for them
to move into their parents house for awhile now and then they just show it in the ending credits
. So I guess there won't be any future seasons most likely. I wanted to see Hina
get a dog
;_;

He would be high not to marry Raika.

cajunator

Banned

Never again.

I don't understand how any anime fan could stay away from anime THAT LONG, but coming back to it and having to watch....that.

Sorry, but your friend is shit :(

I say this as a person with questionable taste.

Like why not something like Chihayafuru or Another or Ano Natsu? It had to be THAT.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Utena 7

Stop being mean to Anthy. :(

Love triangles

NTR NTR NTR SOUND THE LAFIEL ALARM

Yuri

Miracles

Pizzaroll Section:

Touga's knife throwing

wonzo

Banned

Never again.
damn, you got owned. a good friend would have gotten you to watch something like school days instead!

In all seriousness check out Dennou Coil, Trapeze, The Tatami Galaxy and Time of Eve for some recent and fantastic anime series.

Einbroch

Banned
I just don't know who to believe anymore. It's like trusting an eighteen year old nephew to take care of three girls when it comes to the internet.

Oh god dammit.

Maybe I should listen to the crying penguin.

wonzo

Banned
Listen to the crying penguin. He sheds permanent tears so that you may know good from evil.

case in point!

Gokujo 11

apparently episode 10 was banned from airing so we'll have to wait a while for the webcast. why the fuck i continue to watch this shitty short i'll never know.

Once you're done with those then you should check out Kawamori's masterpiece earth Maiden Arjuna and learn the truth before it's too late!

You mean the Redline? The One Piece geography isn't quite that simple.

I just don't know who to believe anymore. It's like trusting an eighteen year old nephew to take care of three girls when it comes to the internet.

Oh god dammit.

Well what else did you like when you watched anime? We could give you recommendations.

Wonzo you're so enthusiastic I can't tell if you're trolling or not. :(

School Days and Arjuna are troll recommendations. They are not worth watching, as much as some people here, who enjoy bad shows, will try to convince you otherwise. (Yoko Kanno's soundtrack for Arjuna is worth listening to however.)

On the other hand, Dennou Coil, Trapeze, and Time of Eve are all top-notch works that I would heartily recommend should you be interested. Especially Trapeze.

red13th

I don't think I was ever as ecstatic about an anime series as when I read about Shirogane no Hana. I might have died bit inside when it turned out to be a prank two minutes later. :(

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
School Days and Arjuna are troll recommendations. They are not worth watching, as much as some people here, who enjoy bad shows, will try to convince you otherwise. (Yoko Kanno's soundtrack for Arjuna is worth listening to however.)

On the other hand, Dennou Coil, Trapeze, and Time of Eve are all top-notch works that I would heartily recommend should you be interested. Especially Trapeze.

Yes, you might want to give a quick google to the reccomendations people offer here so that you can sort through the troll ones. The ones hosanna listed are all good choices, however.

Dresden

I don't think I was ever as ecstatic about an anime series as when I read about Shirogane no Hana. I might have died bit inside when it turned out to be a prank two minutes later. :(

Still can't believe we'll never see a man struggle not to get an erection as his wife gets raped in from of his eyes. Then soon afterward he is locked into a stockade and people pour pebbles down into his anus, which is stirred with a rod.

red13th

Still can't believe we'll never see a man struggle not to get an erection as his wife gets raped in from of his eyes. Then soon afterward he is locked into a stockade and people pour pebbles down into his anus, which is stirred with a rod.

I would have preferred Oyako Jigoku to be honest, I actually have a signed copy of it, but you take what you can get.

wonzo

Banned
fyi gokujo episode 10 was banned because it involves a toothbrush being used in a way not even nise was gonna touch. think about it...

edit: i forgot to mention it also involves a water hose.

such a missed opportunity for noitaminA to push the envelope.

so, I haven't watch an entire anime series in years, last one probably being Gurren Lagann or something.. the thread title pulled me in here and I'm hyped to see Shinichiro Watanabe's new show, I just hope I don't have to deal with that stupid 10-bit codec shit which will make it unplayable on a mac and basically every other device out there. Fucking bleeding edge CCCP-only videos.. can't stand that shit.

Kaiba 1

It was a smart choice to introduce us to this mysterious and confusing world through the viewpoint of someone who is just as confused as we are. Kaiba is a blank slate non-character who lets himself be shuffled around by other people, but because we as viewers are in the same situation it is possible to sympathize with him. The mysteries surrounding him, the locket and the rings, are compellingly presented. I also liked how it gradually clued us in to the central conceit - the interchangability of bodies and memories - through situations that naturally arise from it before resorting to straightforward exposition.

Overall this episode had strong pacing, balancing slower reflective passages of Kaiba trying to come to terms with what is going on around him with fast action sequences. The storyboarding is quite striking, with a lot of dynamic and memorable poses. The art direction as a whole is imaginative and very unique, which goes a long way into making this surreal world take form.

The OP has become one of my all-time favorites. It's not flashly in the manner of Dirty Pair: Project Eden, or clever in the manner of Baccano, but its simple, clear design is effective. Together with the song, it presents a very strong mood. Yuasa's idea from the God scene in Mind Game gets put to good use.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
so, I haven't watch an entire anime series in years, last one probably being Gurren Lagann or something.. the thread title pulled me in here and I'm hyped to see Shinichiro Watanabe's new show, I just hope whoever subs it doesn't do that stupid 10-bit encoding which will make it unplayable on a mac and basically every other device out there. Fucking subbers with their bleeding edge CCCP-only encodes.. can't stand that shit.

You can always hope Crunchyroll grabs it.

Dresden

so, I haven't watch an entire anime series in years, last one probably being Gurren Lagann or something.. the thread title pulled me in here and I'm hyped to see Shinichiro Watanabe's new show

Unfortunately, I think you'll have to get used to 10bit if you plan on watching watanabe's new show.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
so, I haven't watch an entire anime series in years, last one probably being Gurren Lagann or something.. the thread title pulled me in here and I'm hyped to see Shinichiro Watanabe's new show, I just hope whoever subs it doesn't do that stupid 10-bit encoding which will make it unplayable on a mac and basically every other device out there. Fucking subbers with their bleeding edge CCCP-only encodes.. can't stand that shit.

Get MPlayer OSX Extended. Get the MPlayer 2 Binary. Witness the might of a decent video player.

wonzo

Banned
i don't have a mac but i'm pretty sure that http://www.mplayerosx.ch/ can play 10bit stuff perfectly.

vlc is terrible.

Jarmel

Banned
Tezukazone.gif

This is an amazing gif and I don't even watch the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom