• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sprites that look like things they're not supposed to

From a similar thread on this that we had before http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=854929

whatthefuuuuuuu.png

This is what I saw originally, and I didn't understand why his portrait looked so different from his sprite.

Not really sprites but the wc3 art still gets me sometimes

like wtf is this

skill-2.gif

This looks like a log wrapped in white cloth

skill-0.jpg

Some sort of slime monster

skill-0.gif

dude with yellow energy coming out of him

skill-0.gif

still have no idea

skill-2.jpg

Not a sprite, but...

tumblr_mbltbbFsJz1rawb5do1_400.jpg

Never understood this one. Haven't played the game but people say you can see him different. But I don't even know what the right way is, lol.

this might help

4374989-1337815877565.png

Some of yous guys... I don't know how you're seeing what you're seeing.

like wtf is this

skill-2.gif

skill-0.jpg

skill-0.gif

skill-0.gif

still have no idea

skill-2.jpg

1) No idea. Edit: Oh, its a claw with after images behind it.

2) Crazy eye

3) A melting skull

4) An eruption

5) No idea.

Ito

Link_and_Subrosians.png

These guys

Their sprite in the game looked like they had only one big eye with narrow, snake-like pupil.

Subrosian_Green.png

I didn't realised they had two eyes till I got Hyrule Historia last year.

Effer

1) No idea. Edit: Oh, its a claw with after images behind it.

2) Crazy eye

3) A melting skull

4) An eruption

5) No idea.

#1 is a panda pawjob.
#5 is... (wild guess) some kind of fiery/holy explosion sending bits of skull flying everywhere? Absolutely terrible icon though.

mclem

To this day I'm shocked to see how many people saw it as the first figure. It makes no sense to me. I've ALWAYS saw it like the second figure.

I think the key for me getting it wrong comes from the perspective. Take a look at the soldier sprites:

VMgbdSh.png

I think I was tending to assume that the heads would be roughly the same size - as such, then, the 'wrong' way of viewing it does actually put the face in the right place. The 'right' way of viewing, however, has the face far too low in my eyes for how the rest of the perspective holds together - that must be a massive headdress!

hazukash

Pokemon_GSC_Olivine_Gym.png

Until I battled her and saw her trainer sprite, I thought Jasmine was a talking pig head asking for a secret potion for her friend, Ampharos.

shandy706

I saw nearly all of these correctly. It's funny what some people saw.

My childhood brain had the hardest time comprehending what I was seeing in FF4 Rosa's looking down animation.

hyKODXX.gif

It looked to me like her eyes turned into big square white boxes and she put an arm between her legs and slumped down to the floor. Still the first thing I see whenever it happens.

LOL

Even worse, looks like she's lifting her dress and looking under it.

Gnub

like wtf is this

skill-2.gif

skill-0.jpg

skill-0.gif

skill-0.gif

still have no idea

skill-2.jpg

last one is a football playerbin a number 7 jersey having his shoulder cleaved off by an axe.

Peltz

Bullit_bill_smb_1.png

I could not see the arm and eye on this bullet bill from Super Mario Bros. I had no idea bullet bill even had an arm or eye until years later when it was made clear in subsequent games. I just thought those light parts were because it was shiny and gleaming in the sunlight.

You know what this is asking for:
Pro_Wrestling_nes_screenshot.png

Hotness.
(NES Pro Wrestling)

Hells ya! I mained Starman back in the day.

Edit: and by 'mained' i mean that I only used him so I could spam that torso kick flip move he had and sucked with the other wrestlers.

I mean... who didn't, man? Starman was pure, unfiltered, guaranteed awesomeness. Hot damn, I miss this game. I may end up buying an NES again just for this game. Great times.

random25

Grahf's profile from Xenogears:

PbzueCI.jpg

I'm gonna admit that the first time I saw Grahf's portrait I always thought that it was a snot in his nose lol. It really doesn't help that the other ear is cut from the game's dialogue portrait. It really took me a while before I see them as earrings in his mask.

StoneFox

Apparently people thought this was a dude with a gigantic hat but I never saw it that way.

4-capture_07042010_201949.png

Meanwhile it took me years to notice that the player sprite and Oak had mouths...

Crowza

Wtf is supposed to be happening?

It's the NES game, Ring King. In between rounds, it would cut to this scene as the boxers would rest before the next round. I guess, it is supposed to be depicting them resting, and their corner team giving them water, fixing cuts, etc. Except the animation doesn't look that way.

My Dad's girlfriend bought me the game around the age of ten. She came into the room when I was playing it and yelled, WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING?

Heh. Don't ask me, you bought it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Meet_shotguy.png

When I first saw this game I had no concept of what an FPS was. I saw the pistol as a helmet and the hand as a brown cape or leather jacket. Thought it was a TPS, without knowing the term. When I picked up the shotgun I was suprised that the character changed so much. Must be a backpack for ammo or something, I thought. Then I fired it, and there was the pump action motion. I was shocked and really had no idea of what was going on..

Aha oh god, WHAT?

Source: Deviantart, drawing by Discordy
Game: Cave Story (freeware version)

This is what happen to me. What i thought was sideburn is actually his eye, the nose is actually his headphone

Oooph. You got me. I had no idea.

Pokemon_GSC_Olivine_Gym.png

Until I battled her and saw her trainer sprite, I thought Jasmine was a talking pig head asking for a secret potion for her friend, Ampharos.

Oh god I see it.

Source: Deviantart, drawing by Discordy
Game: Cave Story (freeware version)

This is what happen to me. What i thought was sideburn is actually his eye, the nose is actually his headphone
I found this out when I played Cave Story+ with the updated graphics and hate it. I infinitely prefer the idea he's facing to the side in a 2D platformer.

Komo

Banned
Meet_shotguy.png

When I first saw this game I had no concept of what an FPS was. I saw the pistol as a helmet and the hand as a brown cape or leather jacket. Thought it was a TPS, without knowing the term. When I picked up the shotgun I was suprised that the character changed so much. Must be a backpack for ammo or something, I thought. Then I fired it, and there was the pump action motion. I was shocked and really had no idea of what was going on..

lmao, what

Meet_shotguy.png

When you explain it like that it does look like a little guy lol

jbOrpF6RLo1CWci8W82l8rUjk4bMD0lp7gZ1ukWRUO25Rk5GC6mo3H0ZUmVhXwOgJt9YnT3ccFj8HY-UCkerNjU8QTc=s400

Always saw the original SMB's goomba's "stem" as a beak, and it was like a big bird head with feet. I of course know how it's supposed to look like from subsequent games, but I still need to make an effort to see the original sprite correctly. <_<

Deadbeat

Banned
http://sydlexia.com/imagesandstuff/10_things_i_didnt_need_on_nes/ring_king_blowjobs.gif

I can't believe this hasn't been posted.
I just dont understand what its trying to reference besides cock sucking. What were they trying to convey? Did anyone ever find out?

6FWF9PD.png

9cmBabf.png

I could never figure out what those Street Fighter icons were supposed to be.

I actually still dont know what they are after all these years.

There is also Crono's climb animation in Chrono Trigger. I still have trouble making it out even though I know thats what hes supposed to be doing.

Bullit_bill_smb_1.png

I could not see the arm and eye on this bullet bill from Super Mario Bros. I had no idea bullet bill even had an arm or eye until years later when it was made clear in subsequent games. I just thought those light parts were because it was shiny and gleaming in the sunlight.

I used to think his eyes were his arms, which made him even more menacing.

Top Bottom