• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call for 3DS

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is that Benjamin next to Vivi??

UwZ52eo.jpg

Would be great, but it's really hard to see.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SE actually does something right? Wow...

Sounds great, I hope they use more graphics from the original games too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You'd rather play Theatrhythm on a capacitive touch screen with your finger blocking the action? That kind of is a problem.
It really isn't. Most of the touch inputs in other rhythm games for Arcades, iOS, Android, and Vita are generally short unless they're hold notes, and the action isn't usually missed.

See: ReRave, Cytus, DJMAX, Sega Maimai. Either way, more complicated rhythm games require concentration on synchronizing the missing beats that you're playing with the rest of music. That's really what I'd wanted out of the original Theatrhythm: more difficulty and note-filling in on behalf of the player as opposed to quickly touching/holding single notes. Ah well.

jwhit28

I guess it's time to cut S-E a little slack. They are more dedicated to true handhelds than we give them credit for.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Theatrhythm is still my most played 3DS game and I loved it enough to unlock everything. Day 1 for me.

If the first Theatrhythm got localized, this will as well. I remember the chances were pretty slim then and it didn't exactly light up the sales chart yet it still got localized. If not, Nintendo can always localize it.

wrowa

The engine is already equipped to handle battle screens and characters moving through 3D environments (albeit only sidescrolling atm). It shouldn't be too difficult for them to convert it to a full JRPG engine.

There's still no reason why they would go the extra mile when they already have a good 3DS RPG engine on their hands.

jono95

Yes yes YES.

Theatrhythm is my favourite 3DS game, I spent so much time getting every last unlockable and levelling all the characters.

I wonder if this one will have the EMS stages? It seemed a lot of people didn't like those stages, I did though.

Fantastic that SE is finally bringing out a decent amount of 3DS games. Though all are sequels to their earlier games. :p

So far we have:

Dragon Quest Monsters 2r
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
Bravely Default for the Sequel
Bravely Default 2 (confirmed, just not properly unveiled yet)

Now where is Final Fantasy 5r and a god damn Chocobo game SE?! Get Hand to bring the Wii Chocobo Dungeon game with all the DS's + version's extra content, that'll work.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Fantastic that SE is finally bringing out a decent amount of 3DS games. Though all are sequels to their earlier games. :p

So far we have:

Dragon Quest Monsters 2r
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call
Bravely Default for the Sequel
Bravely Default 2 (confirmed, just not properly unveiled yet)

Now where is Final Fantasy 5r and a god damn Chocobo game SE?! Get Hand to bring the Wii Chocobo Dungeon game with all the DS's + version's extra content, that'll work.

They probably canceled Chocobo Racing 3D

Was that Chocobo Racing 3DS game ever officially cancelled? I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

Only seen at 3DS launch. Has since disappeared into the Void.

I know, I was looking forward to Chocobo Racing 3D. :( I don't see that being magically revived. :( But damn it I love the little guy, Dungeon on Wii was fantastic.

linko9

Wow, this is great news! The first game was excellent, I've put in over 100 hours. Really hope this comes to NA.

I hope some of the iOS features, like quests and the song editor, make it into this version. Those were excellent.

Also, the trademark for the name being issued in the US gives me some hope. Some, not much.

KiTA

I think it did around 50k during its launch month, so it likely crawled to at least 100k LTD by now.

And my point was if they were going to localize the game for a future iOS release anyway given their new mobile-centric strategy, a lot of that work could apply to multiple platforms.

If it only sold 50k first month, that's Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 numbers, which both Nintendo and Square Enix considered a big enough flop to seemingly end the franchise in the west.

We are not getting Theatrhythm FF CC.

If it only sold 50k first month, that's Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 numbers, which both Nintendo and Square Enix considered a big enough flop to seemingly end the franchise in the west.

We are not getting Theatrhythm FF CC.

The budgets are not the same (and I would wager a guess Theatrhythm had a smaller budget). That's why 50k for one game is not necessarily the same as 50k for another game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
200 tracks eh.

Pls. include the piano collections too, thanks.

This makes me soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy.

And 60+ characters? *faints* For the love of all things holy, please include FFXIV Cid!!!

Reveirg

I guess it's time to cut S-E a little slack. They are more dedicated to true handhelds than we give them credit for.

That comment is pure ironic gold considering the FF Agito iOS announcement made a few hours after.

(For the record, I would've said the same thing before.)

Celegus

It's still under 100k through July.

Maaaaan that is so messed up. That's it?! For the best rhythm game ever made? I would've thought it much higher based on the amount of streetpasses I get for this compared to my other games.

I really hope it comes to the west. It's not like there's that much to localize, so it can't be that expensive aside from publishing costs.

Atram

so we have:

Yuna FFX-2
Zack FFVII CC
Lilly FFIX
Rhinoa FFVIII
Balthier FFXII
some FF-Type 0 Char

entering.

is that Edgar on the right upper corner?

Top Bottom