• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call for 3DS

Zomba13

YESYESYESYESYES

I had originally put the chances of this hitting 3DS at .01%.

Same. I expected either a FF compilation album using the Theatrythm name or some kind of web based/iOS social shit. Glad to be wrong and Will buy. Loved the first one and it's the closest thing to EBA/Ouendan we'll get from now on. (not counting Osu!)

Nerokis

Nice. Theatrhythm was actually the first game I bought for my 3DS, and it was a lovely experience. I wonder what they'll do to improve on it?

Wilsongt

When I say Shining Force I mean the first 3. Not "The Shining" series.

They tried that, too. Resurrection of the Dark Dragon was serviceable. They also did remakes of the three Game Gear games, but lol. Those aren't coming to NA.

Don't trust Sega with something classic.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They tried that, too. Resurrection of the Dark Dragon was serviceable. They also did remakes of the three Game Gear games, but lol. Those aren't coming to NA.

Don't trust Sega with something classic.

Well Sega ain't what it used to be. That's for sure.

rjc571

Banned
I loved Theatrhythm and I'll buy this day one, but I would rather see them put the engine to use for a real Final Fantasy game, maybe a remake of FFVI. The engine runs super smooth at 60 fps which would really benefit a cinematic game like Final Fantasy.

wrowa

I loved Theatrhythm and I'll buy this day one, but I would rather see them put the engine to use for a real Final Fantasy game, maybe a remake of FFVI. The engine runs super smooth at 60 fps which would really benefit a cinematic game like Final Fantasy.

Well, if SE ever decides to remake another Final Fantasy RPG for the 3DS (which seems more and more unlikely with every passing month), it would more likely be based on Bravely Default's engine. It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to use the framework of a rhythm game for an RPG. :p

TnK

I hope that Duckroll is not trolling us =/

200+ songs and 60+ characters sound too good to be true.

kswiston

Yeah, this type of game makes a lot of sense digitally.

Although I might still prefer a cart, no account system and all...

I actually liked the stylus that came with the first print of Theatrhythm more than the regular 3DS stylus for that particular game. If they offer another pre-order/early adopter bonus like that, I'm definitely on board for retail. If now, I agree that an eShop version would be convenient. I love having my games already on the system the few times I leave the house with my 3DS.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

That's what the scan says.

I have a feeling this would be like Dissidia 012 anyways. Out of the 200 songs, a large chunk will come from the existing ones in the first game. They have 200+ songs because there isn't any reason to exclude songs and stages that have already been made in the first game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

It's on the official scan of the magazine. In huge neon sign lettering.

Since 3DS(+DLC) and iOS had 130 songs combined that means roughly 70 new tracks.

The original for 3DS started with 70 tracks.

So yeah.

zroid

Banned

I have a feeling this would be like Dissidia 012 anyways. Out of the 200 songs, a large chunk will come from the existing ones in the first game. They have 200+ songs because there isn't any reason to exclude songs and stages that have already been made in the first game.

Yeah the old ones will definitely be back. What I'm wondering is if CC will include some of what were previously DLC tracks on-cart. People are going to be mad when their purchased DLC doesn't carry over (if it's re-released as DLC for the new game), because I don't think the eShop infrastructure will support carried-over DLC purchases for two different games.

kswiston

It wouldn't surprise me if the DLC from the last game carried over to this one, meaning those songs are still behind paywalls, but owners of the first game wouldn't have to repurchase them. In addition, I would expect them to add some new DLC tracks to that list.

If they keep the same set up as the last game, each title added would add 5 new songs (not counting bonus stuff), 13-2, 13-3, 14, and maybe 15 would make 15-20 new tracks. If we then include the most popular spin-offs (Final Fantasy Tactics Series, Crisis Core, Type-0, Crystal Chronicles, and maybe Mystic Quest) most of the new tracks would be accounted for.

Yeah the old ones will definitely be back. What I'm wondering is if CC will include some of what were previously DLC tracks on-cart. People are going to be mad when their purchased DLC doesn't carry over (if it's re-released as DLC for the new game), because I don't think the eShop infrastructure will support carried-over DLC purchases for two different games.

Hmm. This is a good point. Although, since the DLC is stored on the system itself, there may be a workaround. Maybe not though.

wrowa

Putting all of the original and the DLC tracks on the cart, just like that, would be beyond amazing. So amazing in fact that I can't picture SE to be so generous. I wonder if Nintendo's system makes it possible to restrict access in a way that you can only play the songs you already bought in the past.

Ailike

I'm just chiming in that I was disappointed they released what shaped up to be iOS exclusive songs and characters, when I would've gladly shelled out the cash for them on 3DS. Especially since I found iOS to be absolutely dreadful compared to the 3DS version. Ah well. SE has to kick me in the beanbag somehow.

TnK

It's on the official scan of the magazine. In huge neon sign lettering.

Since 3DS(+DLC) and iOS had 130 songs combined that means roughly 70 new tracks.

The original for 3DS started with 70 tracks.

So yeah.

That is really great to hear. I would have bought a version that had all the DLC songs in game, since it is hard for me to buy stuff off of eshop (US/Canada eshop in particular).

Here is hoping this is the definitive version, and they don't have a DLC plan. That is being too optimistic.

rjc571

Banned
Well, if SE ever decides to remake another Final Fantasy RPG for the 3DS (which seems more and more unlikely with every passing month), it would more likely be based on Bravely Default's engine. It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to use the framework of a rhythm game for an RPG. :p

The engine is already equipped to handle battle screens and characters moving through 3D environments (albeit only sidescrolling atm). It shouldn't be too difficult for them to convert it to a full JRPG engine.

randomkid

I hope they address that weird design issue where getting the highest score depended on unequipping everything. Once I figured that out all the kinda neat RPG elements suddenly felt like useless cruft. Also would like more interesting patterns, I wanna feel like I'm conducting a symphony!

Hopefully 200 songs means some good deep cuts.

Timeaisis

Great news! 200 songs means they should have many of my favorites. Loved the first one, but the fact that they typically had only 3 songs per game (minus bonus tracks) kinda bummed me out. Especially considering their selection for FFIV and FFIX which was kinda meh (except Something to Protect, of course...which is the best song on the original except for Dancing Mad).

Platy

Considering that it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to find the card at a decent price here in my country, the chance of this including the originals and being a downloudable game ...

OMFG it is christmas ! =D

Lets hope those 200 includes the 130 previously

mutsu

Kinda a surprise this is being released before they even attempt a Dragon Quest one. There are so many memorable pieces of music in the DQ series as well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
SE should also close deals with other companies to create dedicated Theathrythm games (imagine a Zelda Shymphony of the Goddess Theathrythm game!)

Midou

Kinda a surprise this is being released before they even attempt a Dragon Quest one. There are so many memorable pieces of music in the DQ series as well.

But are there 50+ instantly recognizable ones to millions of fans worldwide? Not really...

Etzer

Didn't see this coming at all. The original is one of my favorite 3DS games. I'm so happy right now. Nothing could possibly-

I know I'm off-topic, but the announcement made me think about 3DS 2012 releases and...I'd really like a Rhythm Thief 2, too. SEGA, come on.
My heart

It is in pain.

Ondore

awwwwww yiss

If this does well, does this mean we may see GOTY-type re-releases on the 3DS as well? /sideways glance toward Fire Emblem and SMTIV

Top Bottom