• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix at Gamescom '15: FFXV headlines main stage, other "reveals" teased

Status
Not open for further replies.
This 100%, though Nomuras actual concept of the game sounds so impossible, but he probably would have pulled it off after a long time.... Which is why I'm sure Tabata won't deliver and we will all be upset. If this game really is coming 2016 at this point and be half baked, I will be so sad. Tetsuya Director for XV, 2020 Release Pref thanks.

Tabata is not going to deliver Versus because this is not Versus anymore.

It's no longer the same game, it's something new. Versus was cancelled.

Some Nobody

This 100%, though Nomuras actual concept of the game sounds so impossible, but he probably would have pulled it off after a long time.... Which is why I'm sure Tabata won't deliver and we will all be upset. If this game really is coming 2016 at this point and be half baked, I will be so sad. Tetsuya Director for XV, 2020 Release Pref thanks.

Gross. Stop judging XV by the material for Versus. If its a bad game on its own merits, that's fine, but if its a decent/good game but doesn't live up to what you thought Versus might be, that's silly. Either way, though? Let's put this to bed. I'm ready for Final Fantasy to come out at least twice per generation again.

Tabata is not going to deliver Versus because this is not Versus anymore.

It's no longer the same game, it's something new. Versus was cancelled.

Doesn't even bother me anymore now that (it seems) the Versus team is doing the FFVII remake. Both Nomura and Tabata get to present a vision of their own for a AAA console FF. I'm satisfied.

DeSolos

Whatever Versus was, it probably wasn't working and wasn't fun. Character switching sounds good on paper, but doesn't always work in action games. Especially if one character in particular isn't as fun to play as the others.(my money would've been on Prompto)

Story wise the biggest change seems to have been in structure. Versus' story ballooned from a long preproduction into something that wouldn't fit into one game. So instead of 1 "world of the Versus epic". We are likely getting the abridged version. Which hopefully means better pacing.

Effectively, Tabata is the "editor brought on to fix the movie". With the luxury of a lot of source material he's able to assemble only the best bits(that are technologically feasible). It's not a foolproof task, but I trust Tabata's team to do as much. They seem to be a "design by committee" kind of team, which seems like a good match to take on an over inflated visionary project.

For those worrying if the brooding story isn't in anymore, don't. We've seen next to nothing of FFXV's main plot since 2013. All we have so far is Duscae, which is at best a prologue. In the hero's journey, you always start in the ordinary world, before shit hits the fan.

The_Hero__s_Journey_by_Dunlavey.jpg

Doesn't even bother me anymore now that (it seems) the Versus team is doing the FFVII remake. Both Nomura and Tabata get to present a vision of their own for a AAA console FF. I'm satisfied.

I would imagine any old Versus team members still left at SE would have been re-appropriated through out the company by now, not just to one single project. Even FFXV still has a few stragglers like Kanemori or Hasegawa.

Since Kitase's producing I wouldn't be surprised if FFVIIR ends up sharing a lot of staff with the FFXIII trilogy.

Versus was a mistake...

J/K

But, truly, those days are gone. We won't know the truth of what was changed significantly(because we knew next to nothing about Versus and still know next to nothing about FFXV with the exception of a handful of gameplay features). Versus is gone forever. It's never coming back. It's has fallen into the same realm as the PS2 version of FFXIII and the NES FFIV:

18j41ibjjsykojpg.jpg
ff4neseng.jpg

We rarely know the initial concepts of most of the FF games before they get overhauled. The most we DO know are how FFX was going to be an original game(and was going to feature Yuna healing people of a sickness that eventually became the concept for Advent Children and Geostigma), FFIX's early concept art(that depicted a world where you could have dinner with dragons and ride a chocobo-copter), and FFVII(with a more modern setting and revolved around a hard-boiled detective chasing a couple of ruffians, getting caught up in an explosion and going on from there). We'll always remember the "what ifs" of the FF series, but there's no use crying over spilled milk.

Talax

I thought it was holiday 2016, which is like November/December?
Yeah sorry it's holiday 2016. Still my point was more that whether square thinks the ps4 release of tomb raider to be big enough that they won't want to keep FFXV release too close to it.

Versus was a mistake...

J/K

But, truly, those days are gone. We won't know the truth of what was changed significantly(because we knew next to nothing about Versus and still know next to nothing about FFXV with the exception of a handful of gameplay features). Versus is gone forever. It's never coming back. It's has fallen into the same realm as the PS2 version of FFXIII and the NES FFIV:

18j41ibjjsykojpg.jpg
ff4neseng.jpg

We rarely know the initial concepts of most of the FF games before they get overhauled. The most we DO know are how FFX was going to be an original game(and was going to feature Yuna healing people of a sickness that eventually became the concept for Advent Children and Geostigma), FFIX's early concept art(that depicted a world where you could have dinner with dragons and ride a chocobo-copter), and FFVII(with a more modern setting and revolved around a hard-boiled detective chasing a couple of ruffians, getting caught up in an explosion and going on from there). We'll always remember the "what ifs" of the FF series, but there's no use crying over spilled milk.

Best thing about that image is Namco's jab at Dragon Quest.

Since Kitase's producing I wouldn't be surprised if FFVIIR ends up sharing a lot of staff with the FFXIII trilogy.

That's not really a reason though. Kitase and Hashimoto are the producers for every FF game. It could be any team.

FFXIII trilogy also doesn't have a proper "team" since XIII-2 and LR have people from all over Square and tri-Ace.

I'm going to say that beyond the key members from FFVII the rest of the team is probably in another company (tri-Ace, CC2, HexaDrive, etc.)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Ok i'll try and see where the others could fit:

Early 2016 DQ Builders (JP)
Spring Deus Ex and World of FF
Summer DQHII (JP) and FF Dissidia Arcade
May to September for FFXV
September to November for DQXI for the 30th anniversary (JP only)
November for Tomb Raider
December for Hitman and Project Setsuna (JP only)
Early 2017 DQHII and DQ Builders for the West
Spring 2017 for KHIII for the 15th anniversary
Summer 2017 for Dissidia PS4 and DQXI (West)
Fall 2017 for FFVIIr for 20th anniversary and Project Setsuna

Ma, we're talking about potentially 10+ titles released in a little more than a 2 years span.

I hope they'll have something more for after or people will start complaining lol

That's a huge change from last gen:p Let's hope they keep the momentum going. If they localise DQ7 and 8,those will be two more releases to look forward to. And maybe publish more mid budget titles or episodic titles like Life Is Strange, made by smaller western studios. It's an exciting time for SE fans.

On that note, I'd also like to see the summon system expanded upon a bit more. Duscae's obvious high point was Ramuh, though the method used to summon him was less than thrilling for some, myself included.

Tabata later said that Ramuh's parameters were something that was specific to Duscae, so I'm chomping at the bit to find out how summons really work in the full game. I hope there's a way to deliberately summon them, because hot damn Ramuh made me a believer that these could be the best in the series so far.

I always felt that summons are difficult mechanics to balance and handle. Make them too powerful and you render the game broken. Make them less powerful and their awe and ultimate attacks becoming underwhelming spectacles. I won't miss having control over summons though. That has been rather underwhelming in the last few games, especially in Type-0. Allowing control also restricts them to a certain size. I welcome XV's uncontrollable summons.

Versus was a mistake...

J/K

18j41ibjjsykojpg.jpg
ff4neseng.jpg

I still miss and wish that they've made a game from that FF gaiden concept that became FFIX. I think summons were supposed to let you change jobs or something. Leaked by GIA back in the day. Not that IX wasn't good. VII's hardboiled detective also sounds fairly interesting.

Falk

that puzzling face
That's not really a reason though. Kitase and Hashimoto are the producers for every FF game. It could be any team.

FFXIII trilogy also doesn't have a proper "team" since XIII-2 and LR have people from all over Square and tri-Ace.

I'm going to say that beyond the key members from FFVII the rest of the team is probably in another company (tri-Ace, CC2, HexaDrive, etc.)

Adding on to that, it's very easy to see some of Lightning Returns in Mobius. And I don't mean assets.

DeSolos

Versus was a mistake...

J/K

18j41ibjjsykojpg.jpg
ff4neseng.jpg

And that is ok. The game is much better for it, and now can actually deliver on that "fantasy based on reality" tagline.

Sami+

I'm not going to claim that Versus is, was, or could have been a better game than XV - even if I do personally believe it would have been simply due to the fact that I have more faith in Nomura and his team than Tabata. What I am saying is that Versus' marketing (what little there was) was a lot more intriguing and exciting than what we've been getting from XV since Tabata took over.

Falk

that puzzling face
In 20 years we're gonna be looking back at that and comparing it to FFXXIV on PS7 and going "Man those rock textures look like shit also lol polygonal games"

Lots of bold words being said in this thread.

I think everyone should give FFXV a chance to show itself properly before jumping the gun about what it does/doesn't do.

A little less than 2 weeks to go. Let's get excited. Let yourself be excited. It's worth getting excited about and then some. ;)

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Duscae fights suck because a little lack of something called magic.

See this...

1411907552-ffxv-magic.gif

I think a good way for magic to be implemented is for Noctis to stab/embed the phantom swords into an enemy (i.e the Behemoth) then using another command prompt to activate the elemental magic. In short, use the phantom swords as a catalyst to activate/use magic in FFXV.

DeSolos

I'm not going to claim that Versus is, was, or could have been a better game than XV - even if I do personally believe it would have been simply due to the fact that I have more faith in Nomura and his team than Tabata. What I am saying is that Versus' marketing (what little there was) was a lot more intriguing and exciting than what we've been getting from XV since Tabata took over.

When it comes to the marketing we've seen under Tabata's leadership, it's been hamstrung by Duscae promotion, and gameplay demonstration. Now that we have Duscae and we have a grasp on how it plays they're free to show their hand.

Gamescom is going to be a major turning point. That's also why they discussed the story changes in the last ATR. Specifically so they don't distract from their next reveal. So expect story, drama, and all that.

wmlk

I think a good way for magic to be implemented is for Noctis to stab/embed the phantom swords into an enemy (i.e the Behemoth) then using another command prompt to activate the elemental magic. In short, use the phantom swords as a catalyst to activate/use magic in FFXV.

That's how it seemingly worked in E3 2013. Who knows if that's how it works now.

I still miss and wish that they've made a game from that FF gaiden concept that became FFIX. I think summons were supposed to let you change jobs or something. Leaked by GIA back in the day. Not that IX wasn't good. VII's hardboiled detective also sounds fairly interesting.

I think summons were tied to job classes in some way. They did show the two main characters as Dragoons(Bahamut Dragoon and Leviathan Dragoon) that had armor that took on the "look" of the summons. When I made a FF fanfic back in high school, I came up with a similar thing(it was after around FFVII, so I used a lot of that and FFVI's summons) where my made-up characters would merge with summons to becoming certain job classes. Something like an Alexander Paladin, Ifrit Monk, Leviathan Blue Mage and so on. My friends and I always came up with ideas for video games(inlcuding FF fanfics).

But yeah, that story about Detective Joe could've been interesting.

And last thing about Versus, I think the FFXV Ultimania might shed some light on what it was. Not everything, but we might get some interesting tidbits via interviews whenever that book is released. If I'm not mistaken, the bits about FFX's original story and FFVII's Detective Joe scenario were discussed in those games Ultimania interviews. Well, it's something.

I think everyone should give FFXV a chance to show itself properly before jumping the gun about what it does/doesn't do.

A little less than 2 weeks to go. Let's get excited. Let yourself be excited. It's worth getting excited about and then some. ;)

It's what I'm trying to do, but we actually have too little material on XV to talk about that without thinking of Versus =X

Hopefully they show enough of XV in a few weeks for people to finally understand what this game is and is not.

BreakAtmo

And last thing about Versus, I think the FFXV Ultimania might shed some light on what it was. Not everything, but we might get some interesting tidbits via interviews whenever that book is released. If I'm not mistaken, the bits about FFX's original story and FFVII's Detective Joe scenario were discussed in those games Ultimania interviews. Well, it's something.

They should have a special edition called the 10th Anniversary Edition and include a disc full of BtS material offering a close look at the development of Versus, what went wrong, and a full overview of what the plans were. It could be really interesting on multiple levels.

It's what I'm trying to do, but we actually have too little material on XV to talk about that without thinking of Versus =X

Hopefully they show enough of XV in a few weeks for people to finally understand what this game is and is not.

Hopefully we get enough info on various characters in FFXV. By the time FFVII(in Japan), I knew about all the main characters(including "secret" characters, Yuffie and Vincent), all Shinra Company(President, Rufus, all the Turks, Heidegger, Scarlett, Palmer, Reeve, Hojo), Sephiroth, Jenova, Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, Marlene and Don Corneo. By the time FFVIII was released, I knew about all the main characters, Laguna, Kiros, Ward, Seifer, Fujin, Raijin, President Deling, Edea, Adel, Cid, Julia and Raine. By the time FFIX was released, I knew the main cast, Queen Brahne, Kuja, Cid, Artania, Zorn, Thorn, Quale, the Black Waltzes, Puck, Mog, Stiltzkin, Artimecion, all of Tantalus, Beatrix and Lani.

For FFXV, we know the main characters(Noctis, Ignis, Prompto, Gladiolus, Cor), Regis, Idola, Luna and Cidney. There are other "faces" we know, but names of them, we don't. Hell, we still don't know much about those we DO know the names of. We don't know how different Luna will be from Stella(and we really didn't know much about Stella, either). We know there is a Cid, proper, but don't know much of him other than he's related to Cidney. We don't know the man with the purple hair and hat, nor the general-looking man leading the army. Not know whether that one character near Regis is, in fact, his brother(Noctis's uncle) or Gladiolus's father, or someone else entirely(it's all speculation, not fact).

ED Cantu

I'm really excited for this game and can't wait for SE to finally show more and new things from the game, I'm just waiting for them to announce a release date to finally buy a PS4.

And as many here have mentioned, I'll judge the game on its own merits trying to avoid comparing it to all the things that were said or shown about Versus XIII, that being said, as someone that followed the progress of this game since the Versus era, man it's difficult.

I really miss the dark mood they showed us at the beginning which seems to be gone now, when they presented the story of the game like this:
It’s a dark and sad story which aims to show how heavy and painful the burden that the heroes are carrying is, how painful their paths can be, and how important flashes of happiness are in a world ravaged by greed and despair. The keyword for Versus XIII story is misery, and it can be applied to all main characters.

And how Nomura and Kitase talked about it.
“People will cry because of the story, they will get involved into it and will be crying for a whole week and on!”- Yoshinori Kitase giving his view on Versus XIII story

“It’ll be that awful?? We’ll balance it very well because playing and seeing those unpleasant sad scenes for hours could become a problem for avid players so we’ll work on that” – Tetsuya Nomura responding to Kitase’s comments.

I just hope some part of that tone is still there in FFXV, other than that I've liked what they've shown until now.

sappyday

Do people really think the tone of the game is scrapped? The entire game can't be dark and the entire game can't be road trippy. The after credit scene from demo assures me that the game is still tackling the serious tone.

Will there be changes to the story? Yes, but Nomura's vision is still in tact. Think of it as the Ant-Man situation. Except Nomura is nowhere near as good as Edgar Wright.

BreakAtmo

Do people really think the tone of the game is scrapped? The entire game can't be dark and the entire game can't be road trippy. The after credit scene from demo assures me that the game is still tackling the serious tone.

Will there be changes to the story? Yes, but Nomura's vision is still in tact. Think of it as the Ant-Man situation. Except Nomura is nowhere near as good as Edgar Wright.

This. I can't see why people actually think the seriousness of the story is just going to be booted after viewing that thing. The tone will vary across the story, much like other FF games. Look at FFVII - a really involved and serious story about a horribly traumatised person, which also has the Honeybee Inn.

Philippo

to be honest this was more wow worthy than any scene in a previous versus/xv trailer

Man i remember my reaction to it, my jaw literally fell to the ground.

And i remember something around 2010 when japanese journalists said they were shown a private demonstration of Noct running in the fields with gigantic monsters around it. Was also the same time we started hearing about the bro-trip elements.

How can some still say that XV doesn't give them "Versus vibes" or that there is no continuity in the core concepts is beyond me, but i'm positive GC will turn many things around.

Falk

that puzzling face

Imagine if FF7's demo consisted of the slums/Don Corneo mansion sequence.

Shahed

Just show me some good dungeons please. Or at least interesting areas to explore on the overworld!'

Just show me some good dungeons please. Or at least interesting areas to explore on the overworld!'

Although the cave in Duscae was fairly mundane, I give it major points for actually looking like a cave, as opposed to a big square box with rock textures painted on the inside.

chozen

I didn't wait 10 years for a "decent" game. How can you not compare this to Versus? Where is the idea that this is no longer the same game when it's basically all in our faces, cause Tabata said it was different game?
XV is a game with mostly the same characters, same concept of story, areas based on real world locations, same composer/music, action combat that isn't really what it used to be but still real time, and updated graphics.

Geg

Man, a lot more negativity towards XV than there used to be in these threads. I guess the news about Stella and other changes from Nomura's Versus really broke some people

Also I'm 95% sure Tabata saying XV was a completely different game from Versus was a mistranslation.

Dark_castle

Man, a lot more negativity towards XV than there used to be in these threads. I guess the news about Stella and other changes from Nomura's Versus really broke some people

Some of those are deserved IMO. For instance, Duscae and Goblin Cave's level design, or the lack thereof. Also worth pointing out that Tabata directed games have very repetitive dungeon and mission design in general. At least the towns in XV seem promising so far, as opposed to Type-0's awful, bland as fuck ones.

I didn't wait 10 years for a "decent" game. How can you not compare this to Versus? Where is the idea that this is no longer the same game when it's basically all in our faces, cause Tabata said it was different game?
XV is a game with mostly the same characters, same concept of story, areas based on real world locations, same composer/music, action combat that isn't really what it used to be but still real time, and updated graphics.
Because you don't know if Versus would have turned out good or decent either.

Whompa02

I'd rather just sit back, wish their team the best of luck realizing a huge project like this, and wait for the game, before worrying and freaking out like a lot of people do before something as sensitive as this game is coming closer and closer to releasing.

You'll see it in any thread regarding something this large scale...just look at the Witcher threads right before the game came out. So many people saying the whole thing will suck...

People just need to learn to be patient. There's a lot of things to play in the meantime. Hell the demo had the bare bones of their combat system implemented with a few little quests and collection things to dick around about.

Koozek

This is going to be the main thing right? The one with the live gameplay by that one youtuber. Hope to see a trailer as well.
Isn't the youtuber playing the game on the 8th?
Not only one YouTuber, but a different one from Wednesday to Sunday, plus Developer Q&A every day from Thursday to Saturday and Cosplay Show on Friday and Saturday.

Here's the detailed schedule (in German), thanks to JPGames.de:
http://jpgames.de/2015/07/final-fantasy-xv-gamescom-show-und-neuer-report/

chozen

Also I'm 95% sure Tabata saying XV was a completely different game from Versus was a mistranslation.

Cause they promised us back in 2013 it would be the same game that we were following, but it's not.

He probably meant it was like an evolution. It's no longer that ps3 game, We have modified the gameplay, graphics, and story to fit next gen.

Because you don't know if Versus would have turned out good or decent either.

Your right but even if critics said it was decent, the fact that it would have been made by Nomura would have already won me over (as bad as that sounds), cause I trust what he does with his game. I always felt at ease with Versus XIII marketing like "Yeah this is exactly what I want".

I'm mostly cautious and on edge with XV now and don't exactly feel the same I used to back in the day. Whenever Tabata appeared with news it sounded like it sounded more problems every time. Removing of character switching, automated combat, no warping outside of combat, removal of Stella and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom