• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix (Crystal/Eidos) making multiple Marvel games incl. Avengers, more in 2018

Outside of the Avengers game, what other Marvel game do you want from Eidos Montreal?

Results are only viewable after voting.
You can tell from the weird new costume in Insomniac's Spider-Man that they want to set it apart from other media to be it's own thing. It's not an adaptation of the new movie nor will it be connected to other games outside of it's own probable sequels.

Do you really expect these games to be anything other than decent? Marvel doesn't exactly take big risks, they play it safe. Realistically we'll see open world Ubisoft template games and beat'em'up games. Great. I'd love to be proven wrong.

And we just totally disagree on Tomb Raider reboots. They are not good games and don't come anywhere near the Uncharted series other than Uncharted 1 which is also not a good game.
Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect. I could see them reviving the first-person co-op concept that Avalanche was working on a few years ago. Maybe they'll do another TR-styled adventure game, focusing on one hero. Perhaps they'll do something faster paced, and focused on combat. There's no reason to expect anything in particular, beyond an action game of some sort. Even that might be too presumptuous.

From the sounds of the info blurb about "a game to play for years to come" my guess is that it will have some sort of multiplayer part of it. I wonder from the trailer is it supposed to be a game where you make your own character to reassemble the Avengers, cause as a City of Heroes fan, I'm down with that.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect. I could see them reviving the first-person co-op concept that Avalanche was working on a few years ago. Maybe they'll do another TR-styled adventure game, focusing on one hero. Perhaps they'll do something faster paced, and focused on combat. There's no reason to expect anything in particular, beyond an action game of some sort. Even that might be too presumptuous.

That's a fair disposition. I may be being too cynical. I'm glad these devs are getting work even if I'm offput by the concept.

That wouldn't really be in any of the Square's stable of developers' MO. Marvel is already riding high off the hog with so many other hero-based fighting games and online games with Future Fight, Contest of Champions, and Marvel Heroes. I think this new deal is to make more substantive games.

Prototype

Iron Man : Armor Wars game set up like Monster Hunter, play in groups of 4 and collect parts from bosses to make armor parts, mix and match to make your ultimate armor.
#dreamgame

An Iron Man Monster Hunter game wouldn't make that much sense. I liked the idea of collecting armor pieces, but chasing a big robot through different screens with other people doesn't really sound like "Iron Man".

Personally, I think a Zone of the Enders type game would work best for Iron Man game.

Some Nobody

From the sounds of the info blurb about "a game to play for years to come" my guess is that it will have some sort of multiplayer part of it. I wonder from the trailer is it supposed to be a game where you make your own character to reassemble the Avengers, cause as a City of Heroes fan, I'm down with that.

That would bum me out. I'm hoping someone finally does my "Living World" concept and creates a massive open-world that gets new content on the level of like, "Blood and Wine" added to it periodically. For Marvel that would actually make all kinds of sense--new characters, missions, and villains popping in.

Or, more realistically, they just mean they'll have a series of games set in the same world with its own unique plot and way that things unfold. Like Arkham, but with the whole MU involved. A sort of "Marvel Video Game Universe".

That would bum me out. I'm hoping someone finally does my "Living World" concept and creates a massive open-world that gets new content on the level of like, "Blood and Wine" added to it periodically. For Marvel that would actually make all kinds of sense--new characters, missions, and villains popping in.

Or, more realistically, they just mean they'll have a series of games set in the same world with its own unique plot and way that things unfold. Like Arkham, but with the whole MU involved. A sort of "Marvel Video Game Universe".
If it is multiplayer, I doubt it's going to be like an MMO or lobby shooter/MOBA/whatever. My guess is that it will be an open world action rpg with a story but probably some kind of multiplayer element to keep people hooked. Hell, they could pull a Hitman and release further episodes ("issues" maybe) down the line.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been reading this thread, but...does anyone have any idea why this announcement was made now? They had barely anything to show or say about the games being made. I'm surprised they didn't wait until they had more details or until Comic-Con or something.

An Iron Man Monster Hunter game wouldn't make that much sense. I liked the idea of collecting armor pieces, but chasing a big robot through different screens with other people doesn't really sound like "Iron Man".

Personally, I think a Zone of the Enders type game would work best for Iron Man game.

No, imo a proper iron man game need to nail the flying gameplay. As much as I love Zone of Enders, it's not exactly a flying game.

Not sure how I want the control be, but ideally I want the flying to feel satisfying and have robust enough control that you can do some cool tricks when flying around.

It's Square Enix
It's also Marvel. They've announced movies up to 2020 without even script/director/casting in place

Btw, do we know who's the narrator for the teaser? It's female, so at first I thought Captain Marvel simce Marvel is pushing hard for her character. On the other hand, she sounded kinda young imo, which make me hope it's ms Marvel Kamala Khan instead

That would be pretty cool if she got such a big role in videogames.

Some Nobody

I haven't been reading this thread, but...does anyone have any idea why this announcement was made now? They had barely anything to show or say about the games being made. I'm surprised they didn't wait until they had more details or until Comic-Con or something.

Supposedly to either do some recruitment without everything being spoiled, or to help with S-E's stock prices. I'm not sure how much that second one makes sense, but that's what people have said so far.

And if I'm being honest, if they don't plan on sharing anymore details until 2018, they might as well tell us now. Why wait till SDCC? Spider-Man and MvC:I will distract us then.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Then you better hope that the rumors of Marvel easing up on the Fox ban this year are true.
*crosses fingers for it being true*

What rumors? I hope this is true as well. Wolverine: Origins was or is a surprisingly good game (especially if you compare it to the movie), maybe they give Deadpool another 'cause that gameplay on the game was awful.

What rumors? I hope this is true as well. Wolverine: Origins was or is a surprisingly good game (especially if you compare it to the movie), maybe they give Deadpool another 'cause that gameplay on the game was awful.
A deadpool platinum game with proper dev time and budget could be cool....

No, imo a proper iron man game need to nail the flying gameplay. As much as I love Zone of Enders, it's not exactly a flying game.

Not sure how I want the control be, but ideally I want the flying to feel satisfying and have robust enough control that you can do some cool tricks when flying around.

It's also Marvel. They've announced movies up to 2020 without even script/director/casting in place
Iron Man needs to fly well, but he also needs to always be flying. Walking around as Iron Man is kind of dumb and that why he only ever takes a few types in all the media he's in. A ZOE-like game would have Iron Man always flying around, have access to numerous weapons, and even allow the odd melee attack.

Skilletor

They haven't wanted to put out complete shit like their movie-tie ins. If their movies are anything to go by I still don't see them taking any risks. More so putting out cookie cutter AAA titles that are alright. And I think that talent would be better spent working on already existing or new IPs.

Yes because Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy are such safe movies to make.

Seems really easy to say something like that now since Marvel has been doing really well, but these choices are anything but safe.

To be fair, those films are pretty safe because they only trotted them out when they already had a string of successes with other IPs. It's not like the films were make or break, as the Marvel brand had already become synonymous with "mega hit blockbuster" already.

I think this new deal is an attempt for Marvel to diversify it's successes. Back when Iron Man was taking off, they sold the license to Sega who pumped out mediocre titles that weren't successful.

Now that they have cornered the mobile games market to the point of saturation, they're focusing on AAA titles from reputable developers because that's how you make money nowadays. AAA game and surprise indie hits are really the only games that make a lot of money compared to costs, so it makes sense that they are trying to team up with companies that can deliver.

Gone are the days where Lord of the Rings hack and slash games can top the sales charts or people being tricked by Enter the Matrix to make it a success. The only real successful superhero game these days is the Arkham series, so it makes sense that Marvel would want to try to invest in games of that caliber.

Skilletor

To be fair, those films are pretty safe because they only trotted them out when they already had a string of successes with other IPs. It's not like the films were make or break, as the Marvel brand had already become synonymous with "mega hit blockbuster" already.

Guess we have different definitions of "safe." Because a movie with more black actors than anything other than a slave film is not safe to me. Just because it won't make or break them doesn't mean it's not a risk.

They can take more risk because they're synonymous with "mega hit blockbuster," that doesn't mean they aren't risks.

Guess we have different definitions of "safe." Because a movie with more black actors than anything other than a slave film is not safe to me. Just because it won't make or break them doesn't mean it's not a risk.

They can take more risk because they're synonymous with "mega hit blockbuster," that doesn't mean they aren't risks.
I think Black Panther has also been set up in the safest time for movie audiences. Marvel's other films are all headed by white leads and the current Oscar season shows that films staring black leads and from a primarily black perspective are being recognized more than ever. Releasing a Black Panther film in the next few years allows Marvel to beat people to the punch before a sentiment of only staring white leads sets in and the fact the character was introduced in their biggest movie yet beforehand means people have been familiarized with him.

Also, as we've seen from the success of Rogue One, even people who try to boycott such films have no real effect on the box office, as well as the success of Luke Cage has already tested the waters of a Marvel production with a black lead can be successful.

Neoxon

Btw, do we know who's the narrator for the teaser? It's female, so at first I thought Captain Marvel simce Marvel is pushing hard for her character. On the other hand, she sounded kinda young imo, which make me hope it's ms Marvel Kamala Khan instead

That would be pretty cool if she got such a big role in videogames.
It's likely either a random lady, Wasp, or Ms. Marvel. That voice is a bit too young for Captain Marvel or Black Widow (as you mentioned), & Scarlet Witch is still tied up in the Fox ban stuff (if Marvel didn't ease up on that for this game).

It's likely either a random lady, Wasp, or Ms. Marvel. That voice is a bit too young for Captain Marvel or Black Widow (as you mentioned), & Scarlet Witch is still tied up in the Fox ban stuff (if Marvel didn't ease up on that for this game).
Scarlet Witch is in Avengers 2 and Captain America: Civil War. She is less of an issue than Quicksilver. The comics also rewrote her and her brothers backstories so they are no longer mutants (or Magneto's kids) so Marvel is staking a claim.

Seeing how the game is a year off for getting more info, my guess the voice is negligible to the final game, like how Bryan Cranston did the VO for the Injustice 2 trailer despite not voicing anyone in the actual game.

kurahador

I thought the voice is Brie Larson.

Neoxon

Scarlet Witch is in Avengers 2 and Captain America: Civil War. She is less of an issue than Quicksilver. The comics also rewrote her and her brothers backstories so they are no longer mutants (or Magneto's kids) so Marvel is staking a claim.

Seeing how the game is a year off for getting more info, my guess the voice is negligible to the final game, like how Bryan Cranston did the VO for the Injustice 2 trailer despite not voicing anyone in the actual game.
The problem is that despite that move, the Maximoffs were left out of more games than they were allowed in. Hopefully that won't be an issue for this game,

Yes because Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy are such safe movies to make.

Seems really easy to say something like that now since Marvel has been doing really well, but these choices are anything but safe.

Black Panther is the only one that is risky. The others... using B-list characters in the same template their other movies are made in is not. They've been doing that since Iron Man. Marvel knows that pretty much any movie they make is going to be well-reviewed and do very well at the box office.

Some Nobody

Black Panther is the only one that is risky. The others... using B-list characters in the same template their other movies are made in is not. They've been doing that since Iron Man. Marvel knows that pretty much any movie they make is going to be well-reviewed and do very well at the box office.

None of those characters are "B-List", though.

Preach. Avengers was a risk. Since then it has been smooth sailing for getting their IPs out. People exaggerate how crazy guardians of the Galaxy is to put out to general audiences. It wasn't so out there. We've had talking trees and animals plenty of times before. And Chris Pratt really brings it down to earth and normalizes the movie too as do the other personalities

But this is all besides the point. Doesn't have anything to do with these games. I'm hoping there is little to no mcu influence in there. Like I love that we are seemingly getting an adult spiderman in the Sony game. These square Enix projects should have the greater marvel universe (including xmen!!!) Instead of only Disney approved stuff too

It's bad enough that deus ex is going. But to get such a limited scope to work with in the marvel brand would be wack. Everything within marvel should be open to them to work with. They own the licensing for the games anyways.

The MCU was built on safe movie/hero choices, it had its fanbase build safely that would follow it all so they weren't risks by time they released.

The MCU was built on safe movie/hero choices, it had its fanbase that would follow it all so they weren't risks by time they released.

No it wasn't.

Every one of those characters was B list or worse. Thor, cap, and Iron Man were nobodies.
Hulk was the best known but Hulk was coming off the Ang Lee movie nobody liked.

It was excellent casting and smart planning that made those movies bankable. They weren't "safe" picks at all.

None of those characters are "B-List", though.
Right now they may not be B-List but before the MCU they certainly were.

I'm a big videogame nerd who GAF's daily but before the first Iron Man movie I swore the character was a robot. Marvel's only A-list heroes were with Fox (Xmen, F4) and Sony (Spiderman).

What Marvel did by kickstarting the MCU before Disney bought them (and thus be made of money) is commendable, hugely risky, and difficult to do. And since then Marvel has done nothing but continue making famous other C List and even D List heroes. Ant Man? Guardians of the Galaxy? Done. While WB can't churn out a DC film that's well received when it's not a Batman solo film Marvel has been flawless.

Congrats to Square for this. It must've not been an easy license to land.

The MCU was built on safe movie/hero choices, it had its fanbase build safely that would follow it all so they weren't risks by time they released.
You must've lived in your own little world if you thought Marvel has any "safe hero" choice to work with after Spiderman, Xmen and F4 were unavailable. Like other have said their most famous one was Hulk and that was hardly A-List. Iron Man now stands for to toe with Batman but before the movie he was a virtual unknown outside of comic book nerds.

The MCU was nothing if not risky.

No it wasn't.

Every one of those characters was B list or worse. Thor, cap, and Iron Man were nobodies.
Hulk was the best known but Hulk was coming off the Ang Lee movie nobody liked.

It was excellent casting and smart planning that made those movies bankable. They weren't "safe" picks at all.

Bullshit.

Iron Man, X-Men, Fantastic 4, Spidey, Hulk and Avengers have been well known in popular culture more than anyone, for decades.

Is why the cartoons, movies and TV series based on Marvel through the years were nothing but them for decades.

Marvel does expose B-list characters to the masses but they do it in a very safe fashion that banks upon their unshakable brand power. Like someone said, Avengers was a risk and it played out well. Guardians was also a decent risk. But other than those two movies, Marvel and Disney have played it very safe.

bunkitz

A third-person action game a la Batman Arkham would be the dream for me, but it's hard to imagine that working well with all the different power sets and play styles that would be involved. I just hope that we actually will be playing as the Avengers and not creating our own character for an online game or something like X-Men: Destiny. I think we can rule out the former, though, given the developers.

I think I would prefer it if they kept the "game universes" separate, though. Perhaps games from certain developers could share a continuity and form a franchise, etc. but I wouldn't want everything to be connected and tied together. It's one of the things I actually dislike about the MCU because of how they constantly promote and remind us that they exist in a shared universe. I mean, yeah, it's fun to see Ant-Man outsmart Falcon and whatnot, but to constantly have them talking or even just mentioning the Avengers and whoever else is pretty annoying. Plus, that would be much less restricting and allow other versions of certain characters and groups to exist and serve whatever purpose the story may need.

That said, I would still love to see Spider-Man show up here, or other heroes. My preferred roster would be the original New Avengers, but that's obviously not happening because of the ban.

Regarding the narrator in the trailer, I thought it might be Ms. Marvel too. Definitely sounds fairly young, and I would love to see her be the one to reassemble the Avengers, considering how much she loves and admires them. Although, well, not so much currently, I guess. It would be a pretty fantastic move too, I think, considering how popular the character is and what it could mean to have her as the lead character. Seems too good to be true, though. But hey, wouldn't be impossible.

Some Nobody

I'm a big videogame nerd who GAF's daily but before the first Iron Man movie I swore the character was a robot. Marvel's only A-list heroes were with Fox (Xmen, F4) and Sony (Spiderman).

What Marvel did by kickstarting the MCU before Disney bought them (and thus be made of money) is commendable, hugely risky, and difficult to do. And since then Marvel has done nothing but continue making famous other C List and even D List heroes. Ant Man? Guardians of the Galaxy? Done. While WB can't churn out a DC film that's well received when it's not a Batman solo film Marvel has been flawless.

The implication is that those characters mentioned were all less than B-List. Freaking Ant Man? Black Panther??? C-tier at best, all of them. Also, I'm going to ignore the "I thought Iron Man was a robot" thing. Absurd. :p

Grewitch

What am I reading, Cap and Iron-Man B-list before MCU? How do you fugure that?

So You thought Iron-Man was a robot before seeing the movie. Well shit, I knew Iron-man was a man-in-suit back in the eighties, and I wasn't even reading comics back then. I think using what you know as a basis for an argument that these characters must be b-list is misguidied. That only what you know, the next person might have more knowledge and exposure than you.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I completely missed this until I saw the thread about guardian's being the second marvel game from square.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/418436251/the-avengers-project-ultimate-alliance-3ish

Cutting to the short of it: "The Avengers Project" is Avengers: Ultimate Alliance. But it's not just Ultimate Alliance 3, it's a full reboot with the name on it (think something like the new God of War, minus the story continuity: similar name, totally new gameplay/story structure). That's the reason why the tagline of the first teaser was "Reassemble", to hint at it being a reboot. This is also why the previous Ultimate Alliance games got uprezed recently for current-gen.

The game takes place from the perspective of multiple Avengers after a cataclysmic incident broke the team apart (think more Dissassembled than Civil War), but there are 3 which are the core focus: Captain America, Iron Man, and Scarlet Witch (who you heard in the trailer). They aren't the ONLY playable characters, but they are the leads of the story. Gameplay wise think a mix between Uncharted and Infamous.

It'll also have connections putting it in both the same world as the PS4 Spider-Man game (that Sanctum Sanctorum appearance in still images was not just for fun), as well as Eidos Montreal's Guardians of the Galaxy. Marvel Games wants in on that shared universe idea that have made the films literal billions of dollars.

Top Bottom