• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix has reportedly confirmed it’s ‘looking to sell stakes’ in its studios

Kimahri

Banned
They are burning money in plenty of lower scope garbage in the last few years like Balan, Quiet Man, Left Alive and friends.
Yes, what they really need is kill any ambition left and became the B tier studio they are always secretly craved to be.
Oh relax a bit, yeah? Doing oddball games is good. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Picking three games ti prove me wrong is a bit weak though.

Also, Left Alive was a great game. Clunky, sure, but fuck, I haf a hell of a time with it. Unforgiving, great story, excellent music, and I bet 90% of the people bashing it never tried it, or died a few times early on and just gave up.

So they are selling parts of studios but not IP?

That doesn’t seem to indicate a Sony acquisition at all. Why would Sony be interested in this unless they also received final fantasy?

nocsi

Sony closed down Japan Studio to setup to acquire square enix and make them their new Japanese division.

Begleiter

It feels like they've been a very slow motion train wreck from at least the start of 7th gen. The people at the top have been clueless from Wada on.

MScarpa

As long as Xbox doesn't buy them, I'm good. I do not want Xbox turned into a weeb box. Sony manages to moneyhat a lot of the bigger Japanime games anyway so they might as well own them.
But the meltdowns would be incredible if MS purchased them. It's a win win either way. 😂

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i would be very surprise if other company bought SE other than Sony.

Ya know, that is a really good point. It would almost be worth it just for the entertainment :messenger_beaming:

nOCLS3V.gif

Even though this isn’t the usual business practice. Nintendo should step in and buy a couple of the smaller teams and a few of the IP from Square.

See what it would cost to but Dragon Quest, octopath, ogre battle, Super Mario rpg and inquire about chrono Trigger. They could throw in a few smaller titles as well.

See what it would cost to purchase the team Asano, DQ team, and maybe another small team

Last edited:
Why wouldn't it? Square is a big and well known publisher. Their games not releasing anymore for Nintendo and Xbox platforms would generate very similar outcry that Bethesda and A-B deals did.

I'd argue there's a very disproportionate amount of Square Enix fans on Playstation vs any other console, especially Xbox given that tons of their games never released on them because Japan, and recently they've had tons of additional timed exclusives and full exclusives, so as far as Xbox fans are concerned it wouldn't be nearly as bad imo.

Fahdis

Lmao, the real meltdown would be if... EA buys them. I'd guarantee half of you would melt in a fit of rage 😂...

....including me 😑

Last edited:
OK im going to explain to the People Who really dont understand what really happen and why is an AMAZING idea, and no, SE is far from doomed, so to make it short

EIdos/Crystal Dynamics not only give SE so much debt, they also take alot of resources, thats why that lack of manpower was hurting other game sales

Square want to review some of their ips a d find another company to make a joint venture, thats the meaning of selling stakes

A good example of 1 is the pokemon company, is 33% Nintendo, 33% game freaks and 33% crratures, so the risk is much less

SE plan to do that on US and europe with some titles, so they can focus more money on other japanse games

In other words imagine SE sell the MANA rights only in the West, they make the mana company with Sony OR Tencent, each have the 50%,and they also need to invest the 50%, like all joint ventures, if the company fail, the rights go back to the original holder

So its win win

BreakOut

As much as I hate exclusive bullshit I'd rather Sony buys them than some Chinese megacorp.

With that being said I am surprised we arrived at this point. They had such low expectations of CD/Eidos. 300 million for the IP that was included on top of the studios seems insane. Wish they left the Marvel shit alone
I would rather Fucking Microsoft buy them than the CCP.

Bakkus

Playstation will be purchasing Squaresoft by mid 2023.
Yeah, "Playstation" definitely will do that. Anyways, if SONY does that then I think they'll exit the console market in a few years. They cannot afford such an investment. An investment which has next to no chance at adding revenue given the crazy price.

I think Crystal Dynamics and Eidos-Montreal would be obvious gets for Microsoft. Both are top-tier developers and Crystal is already helping make Perfect Dark so it would be an easy transition.

Lasha

I dunno why everybody thinks that SE is in trouble. SE plans to use external investment to spread the risk in its non-core business while keeping full ownership of its core studios which are known to print money. SE has the money to fund all development. The intent to raise additional capital signals a move towards further growth more than anything else.

EDMIX

The deal that surprises no one but still sends a shockwave through the industry...

Pretty much.

At this point, it sounding like that rumor is 100% legit. They might already be in talks when them and might be saying this to put pressure on Sony to close the deal or something. A rumor that Sony would be looking to buy Square is something we've heard for a long time...

in light of them trimming them studios when they sold that other half of their western stuff? Nahhhhhh this is to make a more attractive sale to someone and its now sounding like that rumor is legit. I wouldn't believe such a thing prior, but added with that news of them selling those studios, its clear its probably true.

Jinzo Prime

OK im going to explain to the People Who really dont understand what really happen and why is an AMAZING idea, and no, SE is far from doomed, so to make it short

EIdos/Crystal Dynamics not only give SE so much debt, they also take alot of resources, thats why that lack of manpower was hurting other game sales

Square want to review some of their ips a d find another company to make a joint venture, thats the meaning of selling stakes

A good example of 1 is the pokemon company, is 33% Nintendo, 33% game freaks and 33% crratures, so the risk is much less

SE plan to do that on US and europe with some titles, so they can focus more money on other japanse games

In other words imagine SE sell the MANA rights only in the West, they make the mana company with Sony OR Tencent, each have the 50%,and they also need to invest the 50%, like all joint ventures, if the company fail, the rights go back to the original holder

So its win win
I could see a joint venture with Nintendo or another company to form "The Dragon Quest Company" or with Disney to make "Kingdom Key Games" and with Sony to make "Shinra Studios!"

The more I think about this idea the more I like it, because it would 'unlock shareholder value' and allow Square to grow their big IPs and invest in smaller ones.

I could see a joint venture with Nintendo or another company to form "The Dragon Quest Company" or with Disney to make "Kingdom Key Games" and with Sony to make "Shinra Studios!"

The more I think about this idea the more I like it, because it would 'unlock shareholder value' and allow Square to grow their big IPs and invest in smaller ones.
I want to add something more to this in others medía about how this is kind of the future with a few examples

Music company with YouTube a decade ago have an issue of piracy, so they make a joint venture called Vevo

The anime industry make the anime comitee, many put money so they get little investment, lesa risk and much reward, Thats why we have so much anime this day

For example Dragon Ball (this is Just and example with example companys)

The mangaka put the source material
Shonen jump put the investment to pay the mangaka and his staff, the PR and publish the work
Shueisha make the manga books
Toei make the anime and movies
Bandai make the toys and merchandizing

All of them invest in a joint venture with little risk and big reward, so we can have more big projects

In 1995 the average anime we have a year was around 30,now its 300+

This in the gaming industry, when every year the prices to make games cost more, and a gaming flop could destroy a company, this is good news

pasterpl

I have not liked any of the Japanese games that SE developed, so for me this company might be dead as I will probably not play any of their new titles.

Jinzo Prime

I want to add something more to this in others medía about how this is kind of the future with a few examples

Music company with YouTube a decade ago have an issue of piracy, so they make a joint venture called Vevo

The anime industry make the anime comitee, many put money so they get little investment, lesa risk and much reward, Thats why we have so much anime this day

For example Dragon Ball (this is Just and example with example companys)

The mangaka put the source material
Shonen jump put the investment to pay the mangaka and his staff, the PR and publish the work
Shueisha make the manga books
Toei make the anime and movies
Bandai make the toys and merchandizing

All of them invest in a joint venture with little risk and big reward, so we can have more big projects

In 1995 the average anime we have a year was around 30,now its 300+

This in the gaming industry, when every year the prices to make games cost more, and a gaming flop could destroy a company, this is good news
I never knew this! Collaboration like that could save the Japanese gaming industry from collapsing into 1 or 2 conglomerates with many IPs going extinct in the process!

We could use that kind of thinking in the West, but it would probably be seen as collusion or communism so....

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah that would be the least destructive for the industry.

Or they could split and sell the HD2D dev teams to Nintendo and FF7/FFXVI teams to Sony.

They wanted to do cloud streaming as well, would fit perfectly with MS on Gamepass but I hear selling to anyone in the west is unlikely.

Last edited:

yazenov

Lol as some of the suggestions that MS buys SE when they are having difficulty getting the FTC to approve the Activision Blizzard buyout. They wouldn't be buying publishers anytime soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is also interested in SE and won't let Sony acquire them without a bidding war as SE has lots of valuable IPs.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Yeah that would be the least destructive for the industry.

Or they could split and sell the HD2D dev teams to Nintendo and FF7/FFXVI teams to Sony.

They wanted to do cloud streaming as well, would fit perfectly with MS on Gamepass but I hear selling to anyone in the west is unlikely.
I think this "less destructive" path should be applied industry-wide. EA is already sitting on at least 50-60 double and triple A franchises at this point, Ubisoft- another 20 or so, a sale to the big 3 or Tencent, God forbid, would represent billions of lost revenue for the industry, and a blow to the hobby as a whole.

Of course the 'big' Japanese publishers are the ones I'm most worried about being gobbled up, because I love their games so much, but their market caps are so tiny in comparison.

EDMIX

Lol as some of the suggestions that MS buys SE when they are having difficulty getting the FTC to approve the Activision Blizzard buyout. They wouldn't be buying publishers anytime soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is also interested in SE and won't let Sony acquire them without a bidding war as
SE has lots of valuable IPs.

True. I don't know if MS would even be able to buy them as I'm not sure how any of that goes in Japan, but its far harder to buy a company like that if you are an American company or something.

I also doubt Nintendo would buy as they haven't bought a whole lot, I wouldn't be surprised if they are interested though, but I think they won't go to some bidding war, I expect it to be some buyout with Sony, but Sony will likely honor what ever existing deal is out and likely continue to have those games still come out on Switch.

Prior to this entire generation, I would have never thought that btw, but from what we are seeing with Sony and MS, anyone can get bought and the terms are not like what many of us assumed in the past.

For Activision to be bought, but to still have games come to PS and for Bungie to be bought and to be told future games will be multi-platform, maybe with purchases this massive, 100% exclusive shouldn't be assumed like gens prior.

Fredrik Fredrik Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not too sure Sony buying Square would hurt Nintendo as much as we might think. For all we know they continue to release all that stuff on Switch still, simply have it also come to PC, PS etc.

Last edited:
I'd argue there's a very disproportionate amount of Square Enix fans on Playstation vs any other console, especially Xbox given that tons of their games never released on them because Japan, and recently they've had tons of additional timed exclusives and full exclusives, so as far as Xbox fans are concerned it wouldn't be nearly as bad imo.
I agree with the overall point that you're making, but you might be underestimating Japan's Fandom on Xbox.

All the final fantasies after 6 (besides 7r/14), yakuzas (like a dragon day one, next gen version xbox exclusives for 6 months iirc), DQ 11, octopath have been/are on game pass, eiyuden chronicle (suikoden successor) is coming day 1, persona 3-5 this winter

Not saying that it's even remotely close to playstation (obviously), but this is just over I want to say 2-3(at most) years?

I know a LOT of xbox owners have been upset at lack of ff7r news. I think Microsoft and the fan base would be pretty pissed off if every square game became fully exclusive in perpetuity

EDMIX

We are proud to announce, square-enix is joining the xbox family.

1. I never liked Final Fantasy
2. Persona is better.
3. They are woke as soon as i saw Cloud in a dress, that would NEVER happen during the PS1 days
4. No one likes Final Fantasy anymore, proof? XV sold ZERO units
5.KH is fo KIDZ, woke and what was Kairi doing in such a short dress in a fucking KIDS GAME BRO?

cutin_31115.png

giphy.gif

The kids were on an island....a rich person went to jail cause some sick shit regarding kids FROM AN ISLAND

(plays X-files music)

/s

Go_Ly_Dow

Post Western studio sale, they expect to have $1.2bil cash and no debt. Not to mention the revenues they'll get from FF14, FF16. FF7R-2, DQ12, KH4 etc.....

They're in a financially strong position and makes sense to trim the fat now to ensure it remains that way.

EDMIX

They're in a financially strong position and makes sense to trim the fat now to ensure it remains that way.

True....or to make themselves more attractive for that buyout lol

Its hard for me to get why they'd want to sell and I feel we'd need to be in Square to get it. Maybe they want more backing or to be more secure etc. I'm not really sure. Maybe its part of trimming the fat and they just want to see a few studios and not 100% of themselves or something.

Fredrik

I think this "less destructive" path should be applied industry-wide. EA is already sitting on at least 50-60 double and triple A franchises at this point, Ubisoft- another 20 or so, a sale to the big 3 or Tencent, God forbid, would represent billions of lost revenue for the industry, and a blow to the hobby as a whole.

Of course the 'big' Japanese publishers are the ones I'm most worried about being gobbled up, because I love their games so much, but their market caps are so tiny in comparison.
Yeah, if studios always tried to cause the least damage for players then studio acquisitions wouldn’t be such a big deal. Xbox and Nintendo gamers has already lost mainline FF titles so Sony buying those teams wouldn’t change much. And HD 2D titles sell the most on Switch so the loss if Nintendo bought those teams wouldn’t change much either. It’s when someone gobbles it all up that people get cranky, rightfully so.

Fredrik

Fredrik Fredrik Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not too sure Sony buying Square would hurt Nintendo as much as we might think. For all we know they continue to release all that stuff on Switch still, simply have it also come to PC, PS etc.
Maybe. But I think that’s wishful thinking. Bungie sadly isn’t the norm yet when it comes to studio acquisitions, we don’t even know if we can truly trust what’s said to happen there yet either. Always assume games will be exclusive to the platform holder who own the studio until proven otherwise.

Oh relax a bit, yeah? Doing oddball games is good. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Picking three games ti prove me wrong is a bit weak though.

Also, Left Alive was a great game. Clunky, sure, but fuck, I haf a hell of a time with it. Unforgiving, great story, excellent music, and I bet 90% of the people bashing it never tried it, or died a few times early on and just gave up.
Babylon's Fall is another great success story to be grateful of, apparently.
Not mentioning that we are talking about games released in the last few years. I'd say it's pretty a world record to release a trainwreck a year for 4 years in a row. Now let's lower ambition and scope even in the internal projects, what could be go wrong?

anthony2690

Banned
Microsoft should get enough off a stake just so they can get the games on Xbox, with less hassle.

I'm looking forward to Diofield Chronicles and Star Ocean & hoping they turn out good.

& I can imagine Sony will want shares in the company, didn't they use to have 40 odd % in squaresoft back in the day?

Goalus

Knowing that Sony wants to have Square-Enix, MS should buy some shares and then drive up the price to infinity in a bidding war to make this acquisition as unattractive as possible for Sony.

Last edited:

Woopah

they're basically already sony first party with 3 announced games that are exclusive. might as well make it official already.
They also have 6 Switch exclusives this year, so its not a clear cut as that.
True....or to make themselves more attractive for that buyout lol

Its hard for me to get why they'd want to sell and I feel we'd need to be in Square to get it. Maybe they want more backing or to be more secure etc. I'm not really sure. Maybe its part of trimming the fat and they just want to see a few studios and not 100% of themselves or something.
I don't think anything about this indicates they want to sell the company as a whole. It looks like they want to use joint ventures to make western development less risky, while freeing up more resources to fund Japanese development.

MScarpa

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is also interested in SE and won't let Sony acquire them without a bidding war as SE has lots of valuable IPs.
Are people STILL thinking the MS Activision deal won't happen. 😂 We all know it's a done deal. If you REALLY believe it won't happen, let's make a bet. Loser has to donate to a charity of the winners choice. For example.

https://ablegamers.org

yazenov

Are people STILL thinking the MS Activision deal won't happen. 😂 We all know it's a done deal. If you REALLY believe it won't happen, let's make a bet. Loser has to donate to a charity of the winners choice. For example.

https://ablegamers.org

Where did I say the deal wont happen? I said they are having difficulty in getting the FTC to approve the deal which is true given the timing of the purchase and the yet to receive the approvals . Its been what, a year and a half? They announced the deal on Jan 2022, but internal deals were made much longer than that.

MS is in no position to purchase any publishers now since their previous purchase has yet to be approved. That's a fact. Its still pending.

Last edited:
Top Bottom