• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix is handpicking access to Forspoken review codes. Apparently no PC review codes either

feynoob

Rachael Harris Popcorn GIF by Lucifer

Another cyberpunk 2077

spons

Gold Member
I suppose we'll have to wait for a Zero Punctuation review then. Same happened to them with Ratchet and Clank on the PS5 when Sony found out what it was meant for (given the "tone" of Yahtzee). If it isn't a guaranteed positive review, you might as well not send out any copies.

This really isn't that surprising. I think it's become pretty clear from demos and impressions the game won't be a contender for GOTY. Like others have said, huge red flag to withhold review codes from major outlets. SE knows the game isn't going to land where they'd like it to, want to soften the blow as much as possible. I would expect averages in the 6-7 range.

Given how this game is likely to land, I'm sure Playstation wishes they had a stronger exclusive tentpole title for Q1. So I guess that will fall to the DLC expansion for Horizon 2.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

I guess she won't rise after all. Square Enix (rather, any gaming company really) cherry-picking review outlets, along with them being silent on the PC port, is NOT a good sign.

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Ar¢tos

Aren't they risking media sites, that have to buy the game on release, tanking the game MC score out of spite?
User score is already an epic mess for any game, coupled with a bad MC it will terrible for Squenix.

KXVXII9X

Yeah... that is a huge Red Flag 😬

Along with it's barren and lifeless open world.

But then they put out a demo, so idk. Unfortunately, I have little confidence in this game.

Announcement is one thing, full development start is another. They could not be all working in it before The Witcher 3 was finished.
Yes, it was announced. Thus we had been waiting for it since then. But this is wayyy off topic at this point.

On topic:
Yikes! This game seems problematic (in more than one way, get what I mean? See my fancy word-play? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
What the actual cuff? :messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping:

Last edited:

Metnut

These cheap bastards should buy the game if they want it like the rest of us. “Journalists” my ass. Bunch of snowflakes complaining they aren’t getting free games. A true sad site to see.

If you’re on the fence about paying full price for the game, just wait a month or two after launch and see the reviews.

Sony gave Ragnorok review codes to everyone under the son and of course spoilers were everywhere before the game was even launched.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What a stupid useless move, they are still giving a review copy to dozens and dozens of other outlet that are gonna bash the game anyway.
Its not just for this game.
SquareEnix inexplicably have just started being really picky about giving out review codes.
Its almost like they are doing a lottery to see who gets codes.

I dont think any 2022 even 2021 game had wide early access.

Im sure reviewers on this forum can chime in.
How easy/hard has it been to get early review codes from SE lately?

On Topic
They arent giving any PC codes out?
WTF!?!?!?!

This game releases on Tuesday.

Exede

So far i did not see hand picking. Just people saying they don't got codes.
Who got codes instead?

GymWolf

Its not just for this game.
SquareEnix inexplicably have just started being really picky about giving out review codes.
Its almost like they are doing a lottery to see who gets codes.

I dont think any 2022 even 2021 game had wide early access.

Im sure reviewers on this forum can chime in.
How easy/hard has it been to get early review codes from SE lately?

On Topic
They arent giving any PC codes out?
WTF!?!?!?!

This game releases on Tuesday.
It's just stupid, unless they are paying the 50-70 reviewers that goet the review code to get good scores, and that is such a stretch of imagination...

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's just stupid, unless they are paying the 50-70 reviewers that goet the review code to get good scores, and that is such a stretch of imagination...
I cant imagine what the logic is.
Cuz their games generally require quite a bit of time to make a real review.
If they release the codes the day before.
Then everyone else on the day of release.
Their games arent gonna have meta/opencritic score till days after release.

People who like reading/watching reviews before purchase are gonna just wait.
So day one sales are gonna look like shit either way.

Even if a game is mediocre, there will be atleast a few positive reviews or comments in said reviews that could entice gamers.
If gamers know nothing about a game....they aint blind buying a new IP.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
1) Not providing Windows Central the code is the best decision SquareEnix could have made lol.

2) Surprising to see SkillUp talking about this and mentioning it's a "huge red flag" when he was all over the limited Cyberpunk 2077 review code and mandated guidelines that included not talking about the console review codes and performance.

Anyway, I'm expecting a score between 75-80. Going by the demo, the game doesn't look as bad visually as some would have you believe, and the gameplay was quite fun and fresh.

Top Bottom