• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Job Listings - New DQ game in the works, SaGa 2015 made in Unity

duckroll

https://js01.jposting.net/square-enix/u/creator/job.phtml

https://js01.jposting.net/square-enix/u/creator/job.phtml?job_code=432
【業務内容】
新規ドラゴンクエストプロジェクト(コンシューマーゲーム)における、以下の2つの作業を主務とします。

・マップデザイン、データ作成
マップを作成し、アイテム、モンスター、イベントなどを配置する作業です。
その他ゲームプランニング全般の作業を依頼します。

※この業務の面白み※
このプロジェクトは、新しいゲームジャンルに挑戦しています。
開発難易度も高く、悩むことも多い開発になると思いますが、ゲームが完成したときには、大きな達成感と実績の得られるプロジェクトです。

新しいことに挑戦してみたい方は、ぜひご応募ください!

Here they're hiring planners for a new DQ Project. The job scope is map design and data management, the game is a consumer game (console or portable, not mobile/browser/arcade), and they also mention that it will be a challenging project in a new game genre.

https://js01.jposting.net/square-enix/u/creator/job.phtml?job_code=451
https://js01.jposting.net/square-enix/u/creator/job.phtml?job_code=437
実装はExcel上の作業と、Unity Editor上の作業と、C#スクリプトの作業の3つが必要です。
実装し、Unity Editor上、および実機上で確認作業を行って頂きます。
実装はプログラマ及びデザイナとの共同作業になりますので、
プランの意図を汲んで、より面白くなるような実装を心掛けて頂きます。
キャラ、モンスター、武器などのアセットをモデル、テクスチャ、骨入れも含め、最終的にゲームエンジン「Unity」での最終出力まで通してのデータを作成する作業が基本となります。
大規模プロジェクトの分業体制ではないため、
状況に合わせ、柔軟な業務を行える幅広い知識、経験がある方、またその意欲がある方を求めております。

These listings are for event planners and character model designers for the new SaGa game, and they make it pretty clear that the game is being developed on the Unity Engine.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with platforms for Dragon Quest going forward this generation. Part of me wonders whether Dragon Quest Heroes is them dipping their toe in to see how warm the water is, then again the 3DS is a monster and then there are companies raking in the cash on mobile.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Should probably also mention that they are looking for designers to craft a system to appeal globally. That was a point of stressing.

So we can assume this is a fairly major project if they want to make their money back through global sales outside of Japan. PS4 DQ11?

Horii-san and SE have been talking up that for a while

duckroll

Should probably also mention that they are looking for designers to craft a system to appeal globally. That was a point of stressing.

So we can assume this is a fairly major project if they want to make their money back through global sales outside of Japan. PS4 DQ11?

Horii-san and SE have been talking up that for a while

I don't think it's worth reading too much into that. They're saying that applicants who have a lot of experience with playing foreign developed games, and those who have hobbies relating to creative stuff outside of game development, are a plus. This just seems to indicate that they're looking for people who have a wider range of taste and perspective.

More importantly under the requirements they want people who play current game titles, and while they require 2 years of experience in game development, they also make it clear that they're okay with experience in personal projects and indie development.

I think it's more likely that this is a unique but smaller scale project aimed at a wider audience beyond just RPG fans.

duckroll

Duckroll, smashing the hope before it begins :(

I don't understand what I'm smashing here. This is clearly not a listing for DQXI, which is already in development. This is a new DQ Project in a different sort of genre. It could be cool depending on what it is, by I don't think there's any indication that it's a big global title at all.

In fact, my first instinct (and this is entirely a wild guess, I don't know what this is) is that it could be some sort of DQ theme minecraft/terraria project. We've already seen a number of those pop up recently in Japan (two from Q Games alone!).

Labadal

Unity? Why?
B0kWrNnCAAAj1FQ.png

I wasn't expecting it to be developed in Unity, but I guess it doesn't matter what engine they use as long as the game is good.

I hope the new DQ game is an srpg, but I very much doubt that it will be.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Unity? Why?

I wasn't expecting it to be developed in Unity, but I guess it doesn't matter what engine they use as long as the game is good.

Kawazu has a long history of making deals with middleware vendors in order to subsidise his games, so this is right out of his playbook.

Unity? Why?
B0kWrNnCAAAj1FQ.png

I hope the new DQ game is an srpg, but I very much doubt that it will be.

So what's wrong with Unity?

Dark_castle

What sort of drive-by shitpost is this?

It's not just the nature of his post that were bad, but Saga games actually tend to have some of the more unique, non-linear gameplay mechanics among JRPG sub-genre. The Last Remnant (PC version), basically a Saga game was really interesting in that regards, and is a pretty good RPG.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder if they'll do something like Dragon Quest Tactics... But since tactics that aren't Fire Emblem, FFT, or even Tactics Ogre don't sell that well, it'll probably be a Dragon Quest dating sim.

Oregano

I wonder if they'll do something like Dragon Quest Tactics... But since tactics that aren't Fire Emblem, FFT, or even Tactics Ogre don't sell that well, it'll probably be a Dragon Quest dating sim.

There was the Intelligent Systems developed Dragon Quest Wars on DSiware. I can't believe they didn't make a full fledged game.

Anyway it's obviously a Dragon Quest FPS which is why they want someone who plays western games.

crinale

【あると望ましいスキルと経験など】
・海外製ゲームのプレイ経験が豊富な方

"Preferred Skill & Experience:

- Plentiful experience of playing western video games."

faridmon

What sort of drive-by shitpost is this?

Unlimited Saga was not good. Gameplay based on chance and probability rather than skill or progression, became harder the better you actually got until it became impossible. Saga Frontier 2 was good untill you realise it was that because of the disappointment that was and Saga Frontier.

Saga haven't been great since the SNES era and they still make them. MOre incredibly since they haven't sold that much.

Ah, faridmon, the only user I have ever put on ignore, on any forum, ever since I started using internet.

OK

Sinople

Unlimited Saga was not good. Gameplay based on chance and probability rather than skill or progression, became harder the better you actually got until it became impossible.

This game is divisive and you're perfectly free to have a negative opinion on it but there's no way the game becomes impossible the better you get. I, and many others, have beaten it without much trouble.

Saga Frontier 2 was good untill you realise it was that because of the disappointment that was and Saga Frontier.

Um... what?

Saga haven't been great since the SNES era and they still make them. MOre incredibly since they haven't sold that much.

Minstrel's Song was great and sold half a million, which is not that bad. SaGa 2 & 3 remakes weren't bad for what they were.

Kikujiro

How are Saga Frontier 2 and Minstrel Song any different than the Snes games? Saga Frontier 2 is one of the best in the series.

I'm glad Square Enix are switching to licensed engines. They've proven quite inept at managing modern game engine projects.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Im guessing SAGA 2015 isnt a 2015 game then?

Don't devs continue to hire as they're developing? Could still make it for winter 2015.

I wonder what direction will they take with Saga 2015. Still hoping they won't troll us with a bad F2P model.

Daouzin

I wouldn't take the bait, personally I think SaGa Frontier 2 is bad, but SF 1 was pretty awesome and the soundtrack was great.

I can understand disliking Unlimited SaGa, but regardless of personal preference, a new SaGa means some new crazy twist on the JRPG formula. I'm really looking forward to it.

nampad

Sony better send some devs over to get the new Unity version supported for Vita.
Agito was allegedly delayed because it is a Unity game and the Vita support of the engine is lagging.

Kent

Unity as an engine will certainly put this on the fast track through development. It's probably a pretty smart choice, all things considered - and, should they decide to, it'll make porting to everything quite simple compared to other engines.

Not much that I know of. I wanted this to be a 2D game, that's all.

Unity supports 2D directly now, actually - it's not strictly a 3D engine any more. That aside, I'd completely expect a new SaGa game to use 3D characters with hand-painted backgrounds, similar in execution to things like towns in Bravely Default, or SaGa Frontier/II and Legend of Mana but with 3D characters.

Caffeine

Im actually glad square is using third party engines now like unity and unreal now finally they can stop focusing on making engines which prolong dev time and they only use it on 1 or 2 games.

I'm glad Square Enix are switching to licensed engines. They've proven quite inept at managing modern game engine projects.
Not only did they already mentioned there are other projects using Luminous, they've been using Unity for smaller games for years now.

It better not be mainline. DQ is really the last series that holds to classic jrpg design philosophies. I would be really disappointed if it abandoned that.
Don't worry, Japan will murder Horii if they try to change that.

But yeah, SE is quite interested in hiring foreigners, I remember hearing SE is even giving their gaijin workers Japanese classes.

Sony better send some devs over to get the new Unity version supported for Vita.
Agito was allegedly delayed because it is a Unity game and the Vita support of the engine is lagging.

Effing seriously

Get on the ball Sony. Somepne start bitching at Gio Corsi

Aeana

Posting in this thread because duckroll threatened me.

I'm certainly interested in seeing what the new DQ project is, but if it's internal then I don't have a lot of hope, to be honest.

Top Bottom