• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix now making their handheld games as multiplatform handheld/mobile games

Aters

Handheld is a lost cause. It's not like they have other options. I'm surprised that people here are acting like 3DS and PSV are going for another 5 years.

True Fire

I'm surprised this is being seen as a good thing.

What would you rather have? A game that's sloppily made to uncomfortably fit on to five formats (iOS, Android, PC/Steam, NX, Vita) or a tightly designed game for one that takes into account its unique strengths, interface and capabilities?

Think back to last gen: Square Enix rarely made multiplatform DS/PSP games, instead they made games which suited the strengths of the bespoke hardware at play. TWEWY wouldn't have worked on PSP, Final Fantasy Type-0 wouldn't have worked on DS, Space Invaders Extreme 2 wouldn't have worked on PSP, and so on...

I agree. This will honestly just make me pray my anticipated games will be for PS4 instead of NX. I don't know if I could bear another Final Fantasy VI mobile remake.

I agree. This will honestly just make me pray my anticipated games will be for PS4 instead of NX. I don't know if I could bear another Final Fantasy VI mobile remake.

I guess this is where NX's hybrid nature might come in handy -- if it is close to Xbox One in terms of the visual quality and scope of games it can deliver, then it'll probably get the best of both worlds: Well optimised versions of Square Enix's console games, and ports of the Unity stuff for "dedicated handhelds and mobile".

Which will probably be digital-only titles anyway like Adventures of Mana and Romancing SaGa 2 were. Can't see them making their way on to 32GB game cards.

It still makes me sad how things have changed over the last six years. Software is a commodity, certain types of games have been marginalised and users are divided across many differing platforms instead of a few focused ones.

Aters

We know Breath of the Wild and DQXI will be on NX. Do they strike you as traditional handheld experience? NX will be a downgraded console, not an upgraded handheld. And they will charge their games $60. Traditional handheld games will either go to mobile or disappear.

I love my handhelds, mind you, but the fate of dedicated handheld is not up to 3rd party.

StereoVsn

Until issues with OS updates breaking games and publishers either providing no support or taking a year to patch, I don't see why anyone would want to pay truly premium prices for games on mobile.

Why pay $40 for mobile port of DQ11 when it may last only a year.

Isn't this something they've been dabbling with for years anyway? All the DQ games found their way to mobile including VII and VIII 3DS ports. Chaos Rings 3 was Vita/mobile; as were Adventures of Mana; Rise of Mana; Romancing SaGa 2 etc.

if anything I see this as an improvement over the current situation. The vast majority of their stuff is for mobile anyway and it's just bits and pieces that make their way to handhelds. If they're doing both as a matter of procedure, then that's more than dedicated handhelds are getting now.

I also wonder how this affects games like Dragon Quest Builders/Heroes 2, that are home console games with handheld ports. Are they going to be home console/handheld/mobile going forward?

Mael

We know Breath of the Wild and DQXI will be on NX. Do they strike you as traditional handheld experience? NX will be a downgraded console, not an upgraded handheld. And they will charge their games $60. Traditional handheld games will either go to mobile or disappear.

I love my handhelds, mind you, but the fate of dedicated handheld is not up to 3rd party.

Man you have Breath of the wild? Awesome!
How's the last boss?
What's the limit of crafting?
What are the towns NPC like?

Eusis

Handheld is a lost cause. It's not like they have other options. I'm surprised that people here are acting like 3DS and PSV are going for another 5 years.
Vita might well go on just on fumes and lack of a REAL successor. 3DS will probably be run over by the NX sooner than later.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Isn't this something they've been dabbling with for years anyway? All the DQ games found their way to mobile including VII and VIII 3DS ports.

You're confused. An enhanced version of DQVIII on 3DS was released in Japan (and is coming West) more than three years after the mobile version. That mobile version was an earlier port.

Arkeband

Banned
Okay, okay, I'll do whatever it takes for a new TWEWY. God. Just do it.

Your new TWEWY will be a time-gated gacha where you buy pins for real money.

The touchscreen gestures will be simplified into taps and the rest of the mechanics will be watered down for the mobile audience.

Battlechili

Banned
Your new TWEWY will be a time-gated gacha where you buy pins for real money.

The touchscreen gestures will be simplified into taps and the rest of the mechanics will be watered down for the mobile audience.
b4AS51B.gif

DataGhost

So this means that mobile games will be on handheld? I can see this but not the other way around.

Will it even be possible to have handheld games on mobile without changing the experience?

Aters

Man you have Breath of the wild? Awesome!
How's the last boss?
What's the limit of crafting?
What are the towns NPC like?

Do I need to know the last boss, the limit of crafting and the towns to tell if it's a console game or a handheld game?

inner-G

Banned
So this means that mobile games will be on handheld? I can see this but not the other way around.

Will it even be possible to have handheld games on mobile without changing the experience?
You can have virtual dpads and buttons or pair a controller on mobile, you know...

kiguel182

Will they keep updating them? The idea of buying a premium game that might not work on my iOS version is not very appealing.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Doubt DQX and DQXI will be smaller than 4gb.

DQXI 3DS will definitely be, as it's not streaming (DQX is on 3DS), and no game has gone over the 4 GB limit (which might be a FAT32 thing or just cost). So, that version ported to mobile should be fine.

Ōkami;217906967 said:
Came out last year.

Yeah I know, absolutely no way that's coming out anytime soon in the West. Nintendo would not have gotten involved if it weren't exclusive for a time, it'd be a waste of money and resources otherwise.

Are we supposed to believe they're going to keep games compatible with new smartphone OSes indefinitely?
Yeah, that's bullshit. I can still fire up my old GBA games if I want, and there's no compatibility issue at all, whereas with their mobile experiences--especially on Android--I always have to go through the ol' song and dance of having it work poorly, then not at all because of root detection and/or server handshake issue, and then working again on the same device and same OS version.

Durante

If this actually means bringing games of the quality and depth of Bravely Default to more platforms, I see this as a good thing. These games don't necessarily need to suffer in their core design to e.g. accommodate lots of different input methods.

If it means infesting more platforms with gacha crap then, well, they can keep those.

I'm surprised this is being seen as a good thing.

What would you rather have? A game that's sloppily made to uncomfortably fit on to five formats (iOS, Android, PC/Steam, NX, Vita) or a tightly designed game for one that takes into account its unique strengths, interface and capabilities?
Honestly, if the list of platforms includes PC? That one. Call it a selfish perspective, but I can play it on the output device I want, with any input device I'm comfortable with, while smoothing over any potential technical hiccups by virtue of outperforming most of the other target devices by an order of magnitude or even more.

I wish they cared enough to go back and smooth out any issues with the originals. 3D FFIII is still limited to 3/4 monster parties.

RedSwirl

If this actually means bringing games of the quality and depth of Bravely Default to more platforms, I see this as a good thing. These games don't necessarily need to suffer in their core design to e.g. accommodate lots of different input methods.

If it means infesting more platforms with gacha crap then, well, they can keep those.

Honestly, if the list of platforms includes PC? That one. Call it a selfish perspective, but I can play it on the output device I want, with any input device I'm comfortable with, while smoothing over any potential technical hiccups by virtue of outperforming most of the other target devices by an order of magnitude or even more.

Man, if shit like the GDP WIN takes off and we actually get handheld PC gaming, it could be dope. We already have $99 tablets that can run a surprising array of PC games including stuff like Skyrim.

My ideal scenario is that we get more stuff like GDP WIN to the point where a lot of PC games are specifically optimized for them (or at least Windows tablets). Not AAA PC games, but indie and other small-budget games. Square Enix releases stuff on the level of Bravely Default or the Dragon Quest ports on Steam (like it did with the Final Fantasy ports). You install Steam on these handhelds and just play those games that way.

I guess in order for that kind of thing to take off it would have to be popular in Japan first, which I'm not sure is feasible. I believe that if dedicated handheld ever survives or comes back from the dead though, it'll be as a portable form of a bigger platform. Imagine if Sony, after several more years of supporting a PlayStation platform that supports multiple pieces of hardware including the PS4 and PS4 Pro, releases a miniaturized form factor that's basically a handheld which plays digital PS4 games. The existing library of indie PS4 games would be perfect for such a device. Developers who want to could just keep making games optimized to support both the handheld and console devices.

_Ryo_

I don't think I'll ever buy premium mobile games from square until they allow offline play and play in landcape mode. There's just no way I'm gonna play a 3D RPG vertically, unless it's a shmup.

oti

Banned
ALL of their premium games on smart devices as well? That's amazing! Will they try to push the $40 price point? It could be a bit dangerous to go way lower than that on smart device while selling their games full price on NX (I assume).

I was under the assumption that Square Enix was distinctly referring to portable games, which will be built for the lowest common demoninator (low end Android phones) and thus won't actually scale up very nice on PC at all. Just look at how FFVI has the same field of view as the GBA game and the same menus, or how Dragon Quest VIII on Android is missing a bunch of level furniture, lighting, and even stuff like a moving sun in the sky.

Like you mentioned above my quote though, if they are referring to games of the same quality as Bravely Default then yeah, that would be great, but I'm fairly certain those will be separate, much like how I Am Setsuna was a PS4/PC production primarily (Vita version runs like crap).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I guess this means we'll likely see more I Am Setsunas and Bravely games, which doesn't sound bad to me if this initiative enables the development of more games like that. I just hope S-E continues to make some handheld games that focus on handheld systems and thus don't limit their design because of smartphones' lack of buttons.

Kouriozan

Was always going to happen one day or another considering the actual dedicated console market in Japan.
Personally I'm fine with it.

MuchoMalo

Banned
This is for their premium mobile game initiative, where they're going to start putting their handhelds games out as premium mobile games as well assuming they can get a workable control scheme.

They're still making mobile f2p games, but they didn't announce plans to start porting those to handhelds en masse.

It would still hold back their handheld games though (especially on NX), since they'll need to take mobile constraints into consideration.

atbigelow

I'm fine with this, but wish they would put the effort into responsive UIs. If I am on a platform with buttons, stop taking up the whole god damn screen with touch areas.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's surprising to me how Chaos Rings 3 hasn't gone on sale even once yet on iOS. Wonder how are the sales for that one.

And yes, give me TWEWY 2 goddamnit.

edit: just noticed that they have recently pulled both Chaos Rings 1 and 2 from the App Store. I appreciate how SE views the mobile market for the most part, but their longterm support seems to continue to be on shaky ground.

I don't have any problem with this whatsoever—more games on more platforms is great for everyone involved—as long as the games themselves aren't compromised to work on mobile.

My main worry is controls.

StereoVsn

It would still hold back their handheld games though (especially on NX), since they'll need to take mobile constraints into consideration.
Which would those be exactly? iPhone 7 is likely to be in The ballpark of NX performance, for example.

The question is how do you sell a game for $40 on mobile platform?

Top Bottom