• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Where is our Final Fantasy VII remake?

Valus

tumblr_mwr4780pil1r1gyewo1_1280.jpg

But really. Gotta wait for FFV/FFVI remakes first brah!

I think SE should release the remakes based on the order of tech demos they did. So that'd mean FFVIII first and then FFVII! I'm ok with that.

Fjordson

VI is like my favourite Final Fantasy, so I'm still waiting for a port of that on something that isn't iOS and doesn't have badly updated visuals.

I would kill for a VI port to the 3DS in basically the exact same vein as the Chrono Trigger DS port. Clean up some stuff here, fix some translation shit there, update the UI for the second screen. And bam. You have a fantastic new version for people to play that stays true to the original.

Seems like a no brainer to me. That Chrono Trigger port worked out great Square, you can do it again!

RiverBed

Banned
Crises Core was a good move. I say, instead of remaking the same game, throw a twist to it, expand the universe a bit.

Compbros

Probably wouldn't get the sales needed to justify the cost of a full-blown remake. If people would be fine with the same type of camera setup and upgraded models/backgrounds it may be viable but I think fans want a full-blown FFVII remake with a AA-game budget which just isn't gonna happen.

I cried out loud for the remake for YEARS.... but my last replay for the game two years ago I finally realize that the SE of this age won't be able to capture and re-create the magic.

The game is a masterpiece and I don't want it to be re-touched or anything.

FFVII 1997 is perfection.

fernoca

Well, Crisis Core "remade" a few things and areas...if that counts, it was a prequel too so it was something new too rather than a remake. :p

taizuke

If from now on every new FF is going to be on the scale and production of XV then wouldn't it be easier to remake VII? I mean they don't have to come up with new characters, story, worlds, or gameplay, ect

JordanN

Banned
Can't they just remake it on the PS Vita?

The handheld is literally perfect for it. It's still cheap enough to use PS2 level budgets, but the hardware is still strong enough to deliver PS3 or HD level visuals. They could then up port it to the PS4/XBO/PC for further profits.

idXlAmDEIX8Xj.jpg

iEYGUHzwm9uMD.png

Seriously, screw Square if they still refuse to remake it.

It is NEVER going to happened. People have been begging for a remake since the PS2 era.

It isn't happen and it is never going to happen. The sooner people realize this the better, SE has no reason to remake this game when its been re-released on everything except fucking toasters.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I honestly believe if the development of 13 and v13 had been smoother and they had run into fewer tool issues, they would have done one by now. But I think as-is they've had too many JPN-side staff working on projects that have taken a truly insane period of time to get finished, and so projects that would have been started weren't. Then add in the ALL HANDS ON DECK rebooting of FF14, and a general transition towards mobile and service stuff... and a pivoting of the company away from Japan post-Eidos acquisition... and an unclear future for home consoles plus relative stagnation of portable consoles...

... like, the time to develop an FF7 remake would have been if FF13 was finishing up in 2007-2008, starting it then for a 2010-2011 release. All of the factors were good for doing it then. But since the opportunity has been missed, it's harder for me to conceptualize starting a remake now for 2017-2018 or whatever.

ghostjoke

Banned
If from now on every new FF is going to be on the scale and production of XV then wouldn't it be easier to remake VII? I mean they don't have to come up with new characters, story, worlds, or gameplay, ect

They're not exactly doing any of that anyway. At least the older ones are tried and tested for being good.

I'm with you guys when you say that you'd rather have new, original content. But I find it hard to believe that a company like Square Enix couldn't recruit enough quality talent to make this a reality without having to pull people off of their existing projects. Why can't we have both Final Fantasy XV (which looks amazing) and a Final Fantasy VII remake?

A worthwhile Final Fantasy VII remake would need a modern makeover and would thus probably require the same (production) resources as FFXV. Characters and environments would need to be recreated in greater detail, animations and cutscenes would need to be totally redone, and I imagine a bunch of all-new assets would need to be added to accommodate an actual camera (since there's really no reason to attempt something like this in the way most people have built it up to be if it can't even take advantage of that kind of modern feature).

That's before you consider things like optimizing the battle system, rebuilding the mini-games, rewriting the awful localized script, etc.

Azure J

They just got to the point where they could make a demo for a game they announced 8 years ago and you want to increase their HD town workload? On a remake?

Nerokis

As a big fan of FFVII, I think this would be a horrible idea.

The team that made FFVII special is no longer there. Times have changed, including the sensibilities and hardware limitations that informed much of the design, and so a remake would inevitably be either really different from the bottom-up or really, really jarring. Expectations for a remake are high enough that it would cost a lot while inevitably falling short of the experience everyone fell in love with. Nothing SE has done with the VII universe since the original's release hints they even know anymore what it was that captured so many people's imaginations in the first place, and their struggles with HD development make it pretty clear they'd have a difficult time somewhat faithfully recreating VII for modern platforms.

In general, SE would be much better off focusing on getting new things right. Is it possible to create a very good remake of FFVII? Probably, yeah. But realistically, it's not happening.

Hyunashi

I mean I would want it too, but until they show they could develop 2 or 3 games at the same time without redirecting personnel to one project only and putting the others on the backburner, Id rather they just focus on new titles and leave these remakes for when they are REALLY in trouble.

Lets be honest though, a FF7 remake would print money for them.

RedSwirl

The typical excuse we get is "a remake like this would be too hard and / or take too much manpower" but here is a list of other Final Fantasy remakes that Square Enix has released since showing the tech demo at E3 in 2005:
  • Final Fantasy III (DS)
  • Final Fantasy III (PC)
  • Final Fantasy IV (DS)
  • Final Fantasy IV (PC)
  • Final Fantasy IV - The After Years (iOS / Android)
  • Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection (PSP)
  • Final Fantasy V (GBA)
  • Final Fantasy V (iOS / Android)
  • Final Fantasy VI (GBA)
  • Final Fantasy VI (iOS / Android)
  • Final Fantasy X (PS3 / Vita)
  • Final Fantasy X-2 (PS3 / Vita)
  • Final Fantasy XI (Xbox 360)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics - The War of the Lions (PSP)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics (iOS)
And this doesn't even count the other Final Fantasy games (which aren't re-releases) that have been released since then, such as Type-0 (PSP), Final Fantasy XIV (PC / PS3 / PS4 / etc etc), and Dimensions (iOS / Android).

Final Fantasy is obviously a huge franchise, and fans around the world are hungry for a high definition version of Final Fantasy VII. Obviously releasing a remastered version of Final Fantasy VII would generate a lot of money, so what's the hold up?

Final Fantasy VII, and really a ton of PS1-era games, would be far more expensive to remake or remaster than any of the games you just listed. PS1 games, especially ones that use pre-rendered backgrounds, are in a really tough position when it comes to re-releases or remasters in higher resolutions. Games from before or after that era have certain advantages that make them cheaper and easier to give that treatment.

The pre-VII games first of all, were originally remade for handhelds, and those games were already very small-scale. The new versions of III and IV have very basic 3D graphics (which is why I personally don't like the look of them) that can just be re-rendered in another resolution for each platform. The only really extensive remakes of those old games were when SE did the PSP versions of I, II, and IV where they completely re-did the spritework. Even then it was just for the PSP's low resolution. Basically, 8 and 16-bit games are very inexpensive to re-release and even to remake because of how cheap their content is by today's standards.

Meanwhile, the PS2 era is where console graphics reached the point where they'll look "good enough" for the foreseeable future. The art and character models look good enough to where you can just bump up the rendering resolution and they won't look unbearable. Plus, everything is in 3D with FFX, X-2, and XII (well, almost everything). All SE had to do with X and X-2 was re-do all the 2D art assets which was really just the character art and HUD. Finally, Tactics is just a bunch of 2D menus and 2D character sprites on top of very basic-looking 3D backgrounds. And that game is already supposed to look like a tabletop. Furthermore, those old graphics don't look bad at all by tablet standards.

The problem with PS1-era games like FFVII, VIII, IX, and Resident Evil 2 is that literally none of the original art assets are reusable. Those pre-rendered backgrounds will forever be 320 x 240 (or whatever resolution the scrolling ones are), and you can't just upscale them like you can 3D graphics. Capcom is facing this problem now with its current attempt to re-release the RE1 remake, having to employ scaling techniques on the backgrounds which are already getting it heavy criticism right here on GAF. Check out the thread about it, and those backgrounds are 640 x 480 -- double FFVII's resolution.

With FFVII and really almost any PS1-era game you're talking about a top-to-bottom remake: an entirely new game with the same title and story. Likely that game would be built to the same visual standard as FFXV. Even if they kept the content and gameplay systems the same, you're still talking about redoing every last art asset from scratch, which these days is the most expensive part of producing a game. I don't think there's any way SE could do that without pulling manpower from other games, and essentially making it one of their key projects. They wouldn't be able to treat it as a side thing like its current HD remasters.

This is why we basically never see HD remasters for anything from the PS1. Either it's because of pre-rendered backgrounds, or the real time graphics have aged way too much. Konami has said the same thing about Silent Hill 1 and MGS1. Instead of doing remasters for those we got Shattered Memories and Twin Snakes, both of which were made on older/weaker hardware, making them far less expensive visually.

Can't they just remake it on the PS Vita?

The handheld is literally perfect for it. It's still cheap enough to use PS2 level budgets, but the hardware is still strong enough to deliver PS3 or HD level visuals. They could then up port it to the PS4/XBO/PC for further profits.

idXlAmDEIX8Xj.jpg

iEYGUHzwm9uMD.png

Seriously, screw Square if they still refuse to remake it.

They couldn't remake FFV and VI for 3DS, yet you expect them to do it on Vita ?
Heck, they couldn't even port Type-0 HD to Vita, which is based on a PSP game...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
FF-FFIV have all gotten remakes. FFV an above, nothing. No HD ports don't count. Bet we'll see a proper DQ8 remake long before FFVI even gets a remake. Nevermind FFVII... >.<

I'd totally welcome a DQ8-r btw!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Lets be honest though, a FF7 remake would print money for them.

Which is kind of the whole thought behind this thread. Typically when big companies have a method to print money, they take advantage of it. A lot of people are missing the point I'm trying to make which is not "why doesn't Square Enix start making a Final Fantasy 7 remake right now?" but more of a "why haven't they done it yet, considering all of the other Final Fantasy games they've remade?"

You can't tell me that the time / manpower / everything factored together for all of those remakes couldn't have been used to make a decent Final Fantasy 7 remake either this generation or last.

Rumors circulated for months that a remake of Final Fantasy VII was in the works.

Because people saw the tech demo and started to make up rumors of "hey that tech demo is the remake they're making." Let's not forget they've done tech demos with FF6 and FF8.

So it's not like the tech demo was suppose to be a tease that they were making a remake.

Colby

I'd prefer a new game in the FF7 universe, but I'd also take a remake. I can't speak for others, but personally, experiencing my favorite game of all time in a brand new engine is probably worth more to me than playing through another convoluted mess like FF13. The time has passed for a remake to make sense, unfortunately.

Fbh

I'm not a big fan of modern Square games but I'd rather they keep working on new stuff than spending years making a remake. They should rather spend that money in getting new talent to the studio and working towards returning Square to the prestigious place it once used to have. In the long wrong it's going to bring them more profit than a single overhyped remake

Plus an actual remake like what fans want, you know, a fully remade game using a current gen engine would take FAR more money and time than making an HD port of FFX or un upgraded 2D RPG like FFVI on GBA

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
OP you listed a whole bunch of "remakes", but only 2 of them are remakes: Final Fantasy III and IV for DS.

All the rest are ports. Could they port FFVII to new platforms? Yes. But its assets are pre-renders. They can not be upscaled in any meaningful way. So really the only place those 17 year old graphics would be acceptable is on iOS.

So you want a remake, but would you be happy with the level of remake that FFIII and IV were? Same perspective, same game design, but with redone graphics? That would be a huge undertaking, but it would be possible. The result would probably be like REmake on Gamecube.

Or is what you really want is for FFVII to be a current gen game, full 3D graphics, Advent Children level rendering? That type of game would be a bigger undertaking than nearly any flagship FF. It would probably be a bigger project than FFXV. Can you wait another decade? Because that's how long SE would take for something like that.

An FFVII remake cannot be made easily considering what the fans would expect of it. Could it happen? Yes. But anyone saying "why doesn't Square cash in?" has not thought this through. It's not an easy product, it would be one of their biggest undertakings in history.

Cels

the only games i see on your list that actually received remakes are ff3 and ff4 ds, which have the new 3d engine. not exactly comparable to a fully-HD remake of FF7.

everything else is a port with minor enhancements, or even something that already existed before 2005, like ff7 and ff8 PC.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It's not going to happen. It would take too much money, time and effort to do even with the popularity of FFVII. I admit I wouldn't mind it happening since it is a dated (but still fun) game but it's as likely to happen as Half-Life 3.

Top Bottom